Having problems with Safeway?

Safeway reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jan 17, 2007. The latest review Signature select kettle corn was posted on May 5, 2021. The latest complaint home delivery was resolved on Sep 04, 2019. Safeway has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 848 reviews. Safeway has resolved 107 complaints.

Safeway Customer Service Contacts

+1 877 723 3929 (Retail Store / Corporate)
+1 877 505 4040 (Grocery Delivery)
Customer Support Center, M.S. 10501 P.O. Box 29093
Phoenix, Arizona

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Safeway Customer Service. Initial Safeway complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Safeway above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Safeway. Discuss the issues you have had with Safeway and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Safeway Complaints & Reviews

Safeway Grocery Norcalevening personnel

This complaint should concern Safeway Management: I stood in line after doing my shopping, when a manager/bookkeeper stopped at 'my' register, replaced clerk, dug money, checks out of register, walked off with reg. drawer to a private office. After 3 or 4 minutes, I asked the young clerk how much longer "just a few minutes, she has to close the register, etc." Two minutes later, I got the same answer, so left my cart to find another store. At the time 10Pm Aug 28, other safeway youngsters were a few c/o aisles away, chatting, idly sitting on counter. Prior to this event, rolling my cart past displays, access to the dairy section was blocked by a pallet. I leaned over, set the pallet upright so I could get through. Three 20-30 yr old safeway employees were within 10 feet, busy talking about pending days off. None volunteered his effort to help. There is a bad attitude at this store TOWARD CONSUMERS!! NEW MANAGERS WITH AMBITION NEEDED HERE.

• De
      debra Oct 03, 2008

I was treated very rudely T YOUR STORE I WAS ACCUSED OF STEALING wHEN ALL i WAS DOING WAS GOING TO GET THE PROPER MONEY OUT OF MY CAR. i WAS HANDCUFFED AND DEGRADED BY YOUR STORE .Now I recieved a phone call acussing me of stealing more stuff All I can say os your store is a piece of ###! Ther is no way I would go back to your store if it was the last one on earth.How dare you treat paying customers like that When I put the word out about what happened you will have no custumers You get what you deserve unless you take your robo cops down a nocth Good luck this will be posted all over the internet

Safeway-San Ramon CAwitnessing drug abuse by employees

Recently I visited the san ramon valley blvd safeway store with a friend, drove into the parking lot to park before entering the store, and a female middle aged woman employee was walking to her vehicle. She passed by us, running into me, and wanting to start a fight with me. I ignored the rude woman, and then after she entered her vehicle, she was sniffing drugs. I don't understand why it is safeway nor lucky's drug screen their employees after hiring. This is the kind of hired help we allow to help us while shopping in grocery stores?? What is wrong with such a large corp like safeway, to not keep under control their employees? Strung out low life # is what works for safeway in san ramon ca.

Safeway — rude emloyee

This Safeway has an employee working at the service desk that is extremely rude. I filed a complaint with the...

Safewayemployee harrassment

I'm an employee of Safeway Corp. (PHX Division), I am be accused of wrongfully of inappropriate behavior in the work force. (Store #255 ) I have lost my temper with the following : customers being loud and rude, work load and being short staffed an hours being cut, from 8hr shifts to 5 maybe 4 hours. BUT NEVER EVER INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR among another EMPLOYEE as I'm being accused of . Fact : the accuser has a history of making these statements . An should have further review upon knowing this of their character is in questioned. But, if I have done any wrong in any way, it's pure accidental and not intentional by any means. Her name is Xenia : all purpose clerk in the Bakery Dept. At Store #255, 1551 West St. Mary's Blvd., Tucson, AZ. 85745, ph# [protected].

John andreson Jul 11, 2015

Safeway ca santa cruz soquel.- hostile work environment, violates rules policy for empolyee
          job discription.

• Je
          Jeff-Hulk-Hemp Nov 15, 2008

Well my advice is to you that you write down and document but do it in the privacy of your own home.The reason why they doing this is you right now are going thur contract negotiations like we are in Chicago .I would not give out the information like you did .

Safewaynonavailability of advertised items

I have avoided Safeway like the plague because of their mis-leading ads. Their standard answer is "oh, but that's not on sale at THIS store", when the ad is in the local newspaper. Slowly I drifted back to Safeway because my bank branch is located in the store. Today I looked over the ads, chose three items, and the clerk said, OH, not at THIS store. Also, for example,
        there was an ad for Cantaloupes $1.00. The sign inside the store said $1.88. No explanation. No one cares. The clerk just shrugged his shoulders as in "the hell with you". Never again. I have many alternative places to give my money to. And I won't even buy gas there ever again,
        I am one annoyed consumer and I don't need to me annoyed. This is the first time I've ever been annoyed enough to email anyone. And I expect that Safeway will just shrug it off. They deserve to go out of business.

• Wi
            Willie123 Aug 30, 2009

Dan is an idiot

• Da
            Dan Tisch Nov 17, 2008

That is the general attitude of employees at Safeway. The store at Mineral and Broadway is a prime example of poor management. The former assistant mgr. Robert Arrington is incompetent along with the former store mgr. Richard Wiles, both are rude. The new liquor store was nice when it first opened they had competent help who knew their products and could offer good sugestions, but these employees were laid off and now we are stuck with the incompetent manager Tom who can't tell a chardonnay from a pinot gris and couldn't recommend a wine for dinner if it bit him. Congratulations Safeway for ruining a nice liquor store, I'm sure all of the liquor stores in the area that were afraid that Safeway was going to take away their business are relieved to see how you fumbled the ball and actually increased their business. I will never give Safeway another penny!

Safewaycream cheese molded and smells also it went bad before the best buy date

Times are tough and it just bugs me that a store such as this, would let this just pass by . Not only did I have a issue with this cream cheese, but I also have a issue with the milk. I wanted to enjoy my cream cheese on some french bread, what do I find when I open the lid, it's molded, it smells will I cant eat that, instead I have to throw it out, and that's a waste and a waste of money. This cream cheese hasn't even passed it's best by date which is Sep 20, 08, the milk had the same issue of the best by date, what is going here? Come on guys you need to do a better job, this just doesn't look good, I think I'll shop elsewhere, I cant really afford to throw food away.

• Th
              Thesadtruth Aug 01, 2010

The bad product has nothing to do with the store you idiot.

Safeway — merchandise availability

Slowly but surely, Safeway is dropping all the brands that I like and replacing them with its own brand. For...

Safewaymail coupons

Received 30 Days of Savings for YOU mailer to my home - it had 10 items listed for me to receive discounts on and 4 $10.00 coupons off $50.00 + purchases at Safeway stores. I shopped for a large order, drawn in by the savings on the mailer, and when I gave it to the cashier I was told it didn't apply to their store. I spoke to the manager and he didn't know about the promo but agreed to give me $10.00 in cash. I purchased milk stated as $1.79, bananas as .39, & strawberries as $1.49. I paid the regular price on these items - $2.49 for milk, .59 for bananas, & $3.50 for strawberries. I am angry to have been lured in to a Safeway store by false advertising -- I know many other people were having the same problem -- I want to be compensated in some way by Safeway because of your unfair business practices. During this time of higher food prices I would think you would be doing everything you could to entice people to shop Safeway, and not mailing bogus coupons that are denied at the very end of a shopping trip.

• La
                lawsuitsagainstsafeway Oct 14, 2011

Caught on Camera HOME FOR RATS INSECTS, RUSTY DIRTY SHOPPING CARTS ..SAFEWAY AT 116 University Blvd., Silver Spring Maryland [protected]
                send your complaint to these top safeway managers we are working on a class action save your emails

[email protected]

Safeway Pharmacy is under investigation for the use of sub-standard generics, mislabeling pharmaceuticals, negligence, professional misconduct, incompetence, prescription errors and HIPPA violations. If you have concerns or complaints about Safeway Pharmacy please contact: California State Board of Pharmacy ** ** **.

• Pd
                p....doff Apr 07, 2011

Two of our local Safeway's stores are placing HUGE yellow sale stickers directly above rows of boxed burgers that are not actually the product that is on sale, but you would need to be considerably taller than I am, and carry a magnifying glass, to be able to see the fine print. Furthermore, the burgers that the sale price applies to weren't even available!! On the same shopping trip, I feel for another piece of deceptive marketing: one of the end-cap freezers was filled with assorted BlueWater fish products, large sign: "selected varieties, $5.99"---so, I took the Haddock. I didn't see it at the time, but it rang in at $12.99--not one of the "selected varieties" apparently, but there was NO OTHER PRICE POSTED to clarify that for the consumer. ARRGGGH!!! Safeway's just alienated another consumer over two $7 deceptions.

Safeway — diamond heights store

I have been shopping at this store for many years and have come to know most of the staff. I must say, that...

Safewayterrible experience

I went to safeway rivermark today 7/13/08 @ 2:30 pm and picked up a premade birthday cake. I asked the woman behind the counter if someone could write Happy Birthday Candice. She asked the oler Oriental gentleman behind the counter and he said No, I'm too busy, SHe said "You're too busy?" and He said "yes". She then told me she will do it but cannot guarantee me how it looks. I tld her forget and Give me the cake, I will put it back.She looked at me stunned. I then yelled to the man in the back "Thank You", I picked out an ice cream cake and paid at the front register. I asked to speak to a manager but spoke to a cashier. She then called up a manager and told him what happened. He never came down to talk to me. She told me he will take care of it. I don't feel like I got any satisfaction. I will definitely go see the manager when I return to safeway. I have a family of 6 and spend a lot of money buying groceries there. If I get no satisfaction I will shop elsewhere.

joe Jul 13, 2008

Maybe the guy was too busy. The world doesn't revolve around you... b*%$#!

Safeway.com — safeway driver destroyed my fence

Today, for the first time, I received a grocery delivery from Safeway.com. While pulling into my driveway...

Safeway Insurance Co.they can care less

Safeway is the only store in our small town "Chewelah Washington" and for that they are raping us on the price of goods. Boycott Safeway, drive the extra mile. Safeway can care less how long you have to stand in line also. It also seems that the local Safeway only employee's the low IQ people. Every time you ask them a question they can not answer it. No matter what you ask them. Management isn't much better, they give you the biggest BS story you have ever heard. Come on when will it end? If anyone from the Chewelah area reads this please shop somewhere else, also write your comment...please.

Safeway — fraud & scam

The current manager of safeway cory cordova who is a brand new manager at the age 0f 29 or 30 years old set...

Safeway — conduct unbecoming of the store manager named michael

Gentlemen, This incident of harrassment by a Safeway Store Manager happened today, June 9, 2008 at around...

Safeway Employeeemployee reeks of patchouli

I am a regular shopper at the Safeway on the westside of Bend, Oregon. After shopping I often buy a cup of coffee from Starbucks and sit in the lounge area for awhile. Unfortunately, Safeway has one employee who's choice of perfume is so overwhelming, you can smell her coming. I have many friends that have mentioned this person. They refer to her as "the patchouli woman" and she has made more than one person cover their faces and run for the door.
                  As for me, my time sitting at Starbucks with a cup of coffee ends as soon as she walks by. I will not check out food in any lane that she is near because I know I'll feel ill for awhile after being near her. Its that bad. I don't understand how her supervisors overlook this problem. They should be aware, though, that even if they overlook it, their customers do not. Their store is getting a reputation around Bend because of this employee's overwhelming smell.

• Kd
                      KDS08 May 04, 2013

I have worked at Safeway a long time. I have brought to the managers attention about how unsanitary the washrooms are because they don't hire a janitor. They make employees clean it which most refuse to do because its not their job. All of the employees including myself are overworked because they dont give out enough hours and don't schedule enough people to work. They make one person do the job of 4 people and the customers suffer for it. Employees page for help if its busy in the store but no one comes because not enough people were scheduled and not enough hours were given out. Employees are not paid overtime if they work over there shift to finish helping a customer. Employees are underpaid for the job they do. It's not fair that we work as hard as we do to get underpaid with very little benefits. This needs to change.

• Bl
                      blondie707 Dec 12, 2008

I can't believe that store allows someone like that! I have been a Safeway employee for almost 7 years here in Northern California. I live in Humboldt County and we have MANY hippies. I feel your pain! Does this employee have dredlocks too? That would be disgusting. I'm trying not to laugh right now because I know your upset about this issue but I can't believe they would allow someone like that to work and STAY working. Good luck:(

Safeway Storesawful company

This is a regular theme with Safeway. For starters some twenty years ago we got pregnant and my woman she worked full time and went to school regularly and commutes upwards of an hour at a time. I worked in town so I did the food shopping. I was continually harassed about anything that came to mind by the employees and security. Car, clothes, just anything. Taunted with school children words that I would expect from a sixth grader. for instance 'you the woman in the house, is he a she... huh huh huh...'

One time I worked late and didn't have time to wash and change from an all day shift cleaning up other people messes {I was a property managers assistant handyman guy on a gov. supported welfare housing complexes section 8 housing) apparently the offspring of Safeway employee's)} and was arrested for being 'drunk' but the thing was I was not intoxicated. And I had to be back to work in about 9 hours.

They will do things such as spend ten minutes talking to some ancient woman about her hair in line in front of me. and then she takes her sweet time writing the check and checks the balance also. But when I show up its as soon as the drug addict checker is done tallying up my bill its as if I can't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough and they make a bunch of offending hostile noises. One time this female redneck checker insinuated I was selling drugs because I did not have my check book or credit card.

Today was the same as always I live within walking distance of a Safeway and needed a quarter to do my laundry because it takes 8 quarters to run the washing machine and I only had 7 quarters and a bunch of dimes and nickles so i walked down to the Safeway and I was telling myself don't do it but I went anyways I am apparently an optimist and wouldn't you know it I think because I was not dressed in a sport coat wing tips and slathered with all manner of makeup they immediately called up security I heard on the intercom and then I walked over to the customer service counter and they refused to serve me.there was maybe twenty five people in the store and not one of them would move their papered ### and change two dimes and a nickel for a quarter so I could do my laundry. Maybe I should have went and bought a $6 hallmark card for the Mentally handicapped checker with the attitude So that it could 'FEEL' like moving in a manner that makes one appear as though there is a brain inside it's head. I have come to the conclusion that Safeway hires these people who behave as if they are on stage because there is nothing inside their heads to cause the management of the operations any kind of trauma from actually having him or herself having to think.

I remember back in the late 80's there was a fire in the Oakland warehouse I can still smell the fire ###ant in the ice cream they sold me I can actually taste it sometimes. And this store I was just in I can smell the refrigerant all over me and its been at least two hours since I was there. I have ate food there that has given me worse diarrhea than what i got on a campout with my drinking buddies.

I gave up on them a bunch of years back and just started using them to purchase canned, sealed goods from name brand manufactures. only when its on sale. beer in cans, cheap wine, soda pop, candy thats about it maybe a little hamburger if I know who the butcher is who made it but thats about it.

Safewayworst treatment

At approximately 11:30am, I went to Safeway located on 196st Lynnwood, WA this morning, to purchase the steak which is on sale. After a short searching, I could not the find the item that I want, so I asked a lady who was working in that area. Then she asked the guy who was working inside the department through the window. The guy told us they don’t have that now but it's coming soon. Therefore, the lady told me it would come out in 15 minutes and told me to do other shopping first. After 20 minutes, I got back there but still could not find the steak. So I asked the guy again. This time I got the worst treatment that I have ever had at Safeway. The guy had a really bad attitude and said “We don't have that right now!!!” When I asked him how long I should wait, he told me “an hour” this time with the cold attitude and word, and he also pointed his working area and trying to show me that he was busy for other things. He also said “I already told you, ok???”

I feel so bad about Safeway’s customer service. I’m a Safeway’s regular customer, and I think they did really good job on customer service until this Morning. That guy’s attitude made me so angry! I was wondering “why you treat your customer that bad especially when you short on the item they need???” I really DO NOT APPRECIATE it. I will not be shopping there again!!!

• Mi
                          minnesota2009 Feb 01, 2009

Safeway you can go to ### hell/ You just lost me a good customers. I'm going to be going to a different store because the price out costly, I couldn't get a simple question with this lady, I sweared to god, She was a ### hole person. She can't treat people very kind or nice she has to be a ###!

• Mi
                          minnesota2009 Feb 01, 2009

I never been treated in life, I went to Sunnyside Safeway and I don't lived in Oregon but I was returned my candy and the lady at customer service desk gave me ### and told me that I couldn't return them, well I'm not a happy camp and she was totally being a really ### ### lady, I thought customer come first but I guess not, I wasn't even a Safeway person, I don't like them using my ID or name I think that totally lame but, I never will shop there every again, they just lost me some business. I'm shouldn't have be treated so ### like today, one should be treated like that before, she was so mean and very rude 5 people were stand by me and saying that to her, she was just rude and plus she need to have a talk. I think her customers service is suck hole, I can't stand Safeway! I never want you to use my name for anything no thanks you.

I'm not happy!

Safeway — gas rewards

Why does my Safeway in Annapolis tell me that I'm entitled to gas rewards but never give you any...

Safeway — terrible company

It's bad enough that every time I go Safeway and use the 15 item or less line that one or more of their...

Safeway — safeway fish has worms

If is was not enough that all the fish at safeway look rotten even though they are not past their expiration...