Menu

reviews & complaints

Russells Complaints Summary

6 Resolved
92 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from Russells with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Russells has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Russells. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Russells complaints 98

Sort by:

Newest Russells reviews & complaints

12:52 am EST

Russells Refund

I am disgusted in the customer service. I bought a family bundle laptop online in december 2023. I have sent numerous emails even attempting to call for a refund but to no avail. Eventually I was told to take it to my nearest russels store belville. I was told it would be booked in and I would get a refund it should take about 3 to 5 days. That was beginning of january. It is not february 2024 and I have still not received my refund. I plan on taking this further. Customer service is useless and nobody can assist. I have sent pics via email thrice so I will not be adding photos again good gosh

Desired outcome: Refund ASAP

Confidential Information Hidden: This section contains confidential information visible to verified Russells representatives only. If you are affiliated with Russells, please claim your business to access these details.

A
3:28 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Russells I am complaining about online layby service

My name is Abigail Siziba. I opened a layby account online on the 14th of October 2023. I paid a deposit of R500 the very same day. Later during the month on the 25 the of October, I paid another R500 into the account. To date, the second R500 that I paid does not reflect on my account. I have emailed Russells customer care several times, called them more than I can count, sent proof of payment and they keep te;lling me that the payment reflects on their side, but I don't see it on my account. My account still shows that I only have one payment that I made. There is also teh matter of different reference numbers, order number and two different layby numbers that has not been resolved. This is the worst service that I have received from a company. I am not sure how I can get my refund d back because I dont see myself winning with this online layby of theirs. I cant continue paying when I dont see my first payment reflecting.

Desired outcome: I would like Russells to refund me because they cannot resolve my query.

K
2:07 am EST

Russells Couch Exchange : 9000337235/15600005

Good day,

I bought couches on line and upon the delivery the two seater was uncomfortable and I immediatley contacted the customer service to ask for an exchange but I was given the conditions that if the couch is not in the original packaging / the package was open, I will be charged 15% handling fee and to provide the picture of the couch.

Firstly this couch was bought on line. For me to test the couch I need to open the couch. And I feel the condition above is unreasonable.

I then provided the pictures and I was told to pay the difference and pay another delivery fee.

I am willing to pay the difference in price but not another delivery fee. An when I explai that if the couch was comfortable I wouldn't exchange it. The person by the name of Mbali told me that it is personal preference and not manufacturing fault.

Kindly assist as I would like to exchange or my money refunded.

Shila

Desired outcome: Exchange without extortion of my money

Update by Kgaz
Feb 06, 2024 2:24 am EST

I would like an exchange/refund without extortion of my money.

Customer Service is making unreasonable demands for an exchange. 15% handling fee if the product was opened and another delivery fee.

Firstly the couch was bought on line. Meaning I did not test it. Upon arrival of the couches. The two seater couch was uncomfortable. And I mmediatly contacted service for an exchange

Now customer agent Mbali wants me to pay the difference in price which I am willing to pay but I am not willing to pay another delivery fee.

And if I want a refund I must pay 15% handling fee which I am not willing to pay.

Conditions are appalling.

Shila

shilamolala@gmail.com

[protected]

Is Russells legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Russells as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 6% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Russells stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Russells should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Russells earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Russells achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for Russells. The company provides a physical address, phone number, and email, as well as social media account. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

Russells.co.za has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows Russells website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Russells.co.za has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Russells.co.za appears to have online shopping features, it's important to know that the platform supports an extensive range of payment methods, making it convenient and easy to complete your transaction. The payment procedure on the website is also relatively simple and straightforward, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free experience for buyers.

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Russells has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 6% of 98 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
C
8:06 am EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On 2022/11/15 we bought the Abby 3Pce Lounge Suite from Russells, Bethal. We had the couches for about two months, after which you were basically sitting on the wooden frame of the couch - the stuffing could not be felt anymore. In February of 2023 we logged a query for a return in store as we were not satisfied with the quality of the set. We only...

R
7:14 am EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am writing to express my Frustration and dissatisfaction with the service I received at your Bellville Russells Store. No communication from the Manager, not once did the Manager apologise or stepped in. This is so poor for a Manager! 21 day later and he is never minded, not even attempting to resolve the issue. Service is a disgrace. 13 November 2023...

S
5:56 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Russells I'm complaining about the layby order delivery dates

My name is Seani Magau. I finished paying off my layby on the 28th of November 2023. And I have been getting different messages regarding delivery date. First it was on the 1st of December, then the 2nd of December, then the 4th of December, now is the 6th of December 2023.

I don't understand the delay regarding my order, and I don't understand why I'm getting unstable delivery dates. I'm done with the payments and I need my order to be delivered without delay.

The changing of the dates is not fine with me. I called Polokwane land-line, and I was told that there is no date for delivery on their system, how is that possible?

My layby was done at Thohoyandou. The lay by is for Wilddrop, bed and stove. And the sales agent who help me is not being clear to me regarding this matter.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Thank you very much.

5:36 am EST

Russells Deceiptful Service

I came in looking for a TV on the 25th of Nov 2023 at the Umlazi branch. I spoke to Mdletshe who told me there was an Orion for R1799 but I would have to come back the following day as the stock was at the warehouse. I came back the following day and I spoke to a different employee who appeared to be the one who is in charge. She said she was having trouble checking tv licenses as the system was slow and being offline. She told me to come later or the following day on Monday the 27th of Nov 2023. On Monday I sent a neighbour and she was told that the TV was no longer on special. It was now R2999.

My frustration is that I felt like I was misled from the beginning and wasted a lot of my time.

I feel like the staff are not aligned when it comes to their own regulations. I was given the run around.

I ended up buying the same TV for R2199 elsewhere.

7:35 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Russells Faulty drawers manager.

I logged a compaint in February 2023.

Managed to get complaint number [protected]-3126. Up to today 29/09/2023 nothing. I have been calling customer care. The 1st time the shop contacted is when they wanted videos for the faulty drawers. Second time could not pick I was in another call. They did not call again, it was early this month. I called the shop today at 9:34 receptionist promised that tge manager will call back. It is now 13:26 I have not received any calk.

Desired outcome: For them to come and check their product and compensate.

A
1:06 am EDT

Russells Damaged fridge

We picked up a fridge yesterday afternoon from Russels in Benoni. The box was badly damaged and we weren't given a chance to view the fridge cause the guy was already tapping the box. When we arrived at home later the evening we decided to unbox the fridge only to find the fridge badly dented and damaged. It's unacceptable that these people gave us a damaged Fridge

Desired outcome: We highly recommended that russells picks up the damaged Fridge and deliver another one cause we not going to get transport to go back to russells

12:11 pm EDT

Russells Univa black stove

Russells in Somerset west has the worst servic3, worst Management and worst Rep. They sold me a Univa black stove who has so much smoke coming from the back, an they actually told me its manufacturered that way, I gave my complaint within ghe 7 days, but nothing happened. There brach manager has no management ethic. Not only is hes communication poor, but I had to phone evrytime to get an update, after he lromised to get back to me. The technician Univa sent didnt know what he was doing, and as for Russells Sales Rep, Graham. He would of been fired from the company I work for if he was a Rep for them. Absolutely worthless in all aspects but quick to sell furniture to you. There sales person who sold me the Univa black stove even tried to get someone secretly to connect my stove for me for a cost. Which I declined. Its been more then a month, I will never buy anything from such a bad store. One day is one day. The wheel turns

Desired outcome: Refund

9:02 am EDT

Russells Service

Incident happened today on the 4th July 2023 at around 11H00 at Bochum branch. I went to enquire about nondelivery and one of the employee was so rude. He asked me why did I come to the store to enquire ,I should contact the driver and ask him about the delivery. I was so disappointed by his rudeness, I was so shocked and asked him why should I enquire to the driver where as I bought and paid at the store and he replied by saying the driver is the one that called you at the beginning fir arrangements of delivery so why come to store. The bed I bought on the 1st of July not yet delivered

Desired outcome: Written apology from the man(employee)and maybe the employer to ensure that his competency are for the past he is at.

6:28 am EDT

Russells Portable 100W mini rechargeable battery backup UPS

I bought the item described below on 23 March 2023 Russels in Cosmo City through a salesperson called Gerrith. One morning, when we woke up the UPS was not working. On 17 May 2023 I took it back to the same Russells branch in Cosmo City. I have been calling them 01 June 2023, but they are ignoring my calls. They always say they will call me back but they never call. I'm frustrated because I can't work at all now when there is loadshedding as there is no more power backup for my Router.

Product Description: Portable 100W mini rechargeable battery backup UPS

Product Code [protected]

Price: R1,799

Name: Mxolisi Ngwenya

Cell: [protected]

Desired outcome: Replacement or repair of the product.

8:55 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Russells Lounge suite bought on account

My husband and I took a lounge suite on account on 22/ 04 /2023 in Butterwort.On it's arrival the two seater couch was damaged.

I went there to complain the following day the manager said she will send someone to come and fix the couch ,since then the couch hasn't been fixed.

Now I don't want them to fix it I just want you to take the lounge suite back as we can't keep on paying for damaged goods.

I went the countless times since April till now the issue hasn't been resolved.

Please take back your goods and refund us the money we already paid.

Read full review of Russells and 2 comments
2 comments
PieterPJDD
Limpopo, ZA
Aug 03, 2023 2:55 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have recently bought R27000 of goods of which were a lounge suite, also damaged. Emailed and phoned Russels no response. I'm going to drop it off at russels if I don't hear from them in 24hrs and I'm going to the ombudsman. Consumers does have rights. Nobody had the decency to get back to me

PieterPJDD
Limpopo, ZA
Aug 03, 2023 2:57 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Replying to comment of PieterPJDD

I actually got the manager the following day to come check the damages and he said it's due to lounge suites being stocked upon one another. He also said the creases will fade and that it's also from ironing in factory I suppose, I'm fed up now

7:51 am EDT

Russells bought a bed july 2022. Bed collapsed in middle - May 2023

A 80 year old lady bought a 3/4 bed in July 2022. May 2023 she complained that the bed collapsed in the middle. After many visits and call/WhatsApp got no definitive answer but only useless promises. The bed collapsed even more so that is hurts her while sleeping. Please refund her. She urgently needs to buy another bed. She is not interested in another bed from Russels because there is no after service and no quality.

Desired outcome: Please refund

N
1:19 am EDT

Russells Queen bed set - paid cash

To whom it may concern

Please kindly assists with regards to a purchase made on the 21.06.2023 at the randburg square mall. Please note on delivery bed was damage and this was communicated with your department however to date a replacement bed has not been received . I have contacted both customer services and store directly on numerous occasions . no one can assist . I have requested my deposit back if bed won’t be delivery today … however its seems like store does nt want to release my payment . you people can’t hold my payment . your items are defected and now you have the nerve to tell me you can’t refund me … I will take your company to the ombudsmen and also will lay a formal complaint at the NCC.

I HAVE PAID YOU CASH ….Please don’t steal my money …

Yesterday afternoon bed was supposed to be replaced , the bed set that came is worse than the original bed send …please take back your trash and please refund me my money with incurred interest . I paid for a new bed set if I wanted second hand I would have bought that.

Desired outcome: i would like an apology , want my refund back

8:20 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Russells Complaint regarding poor customer service and incomplete order

Dear Russell's,

I am writing to express my deep disappointment with the poor customer service I have received from Russell's, specifically the Mayfield Daveyton branch. I recently placed an order with your company on the 24th of June 2023, but I am highly dissatisfied with the overall experience.

Firstly, I ordered a total of four items from your store, and I received the delivery on the 1st of July 2023. However, to my dismay, I discovered that one of the items, the Sony 1000W 5.1ch Sound Bar HT-S500RF, was missing from the package. This incomplete order has caused great inconvenience and frustration.

In my efforts to resolve this matter, I have made several calls to the Mayfield Daveyton branch. Unfortunately, I have received no assistance or support from the branch manager, or the saleswoman named Marry Shadile, who originally assisted me in placing the order. Despite my continuous attempts to reach out, my concerns have been completely disregarded, leaving me feeling neglected as a customer.

As a loyal customer of Russell's, I expected better customer service and prompt resolution of any issues that may arise. However, the lack of communication and assistance in rectifying this problem has been extremely disappointing.

I kindly request that you take immediate action to rectify this situation. I expect the missing item, the Sony 1000W 5.1ch Sound Bar HT-S500RF, to be delivered to me as soon as possible. Furthermore, I urge you to address the matter of the poor customer service and lack of response from the Mayfield Daveyton branch. It is crucial for your company to uphold a high standard of customer care and promptly address customer concerns.

I hope that you will prioritize this matter and provide me with a satisfactory resolution. I look forward to your prompt response to this complaint.

Desired outcome: I just want my Sony 1000W 5.1ch Sound Bar HT-S500RF to be delivered, including the invoice for the stove and microwave ASAP.

7:28 am EDT

Russells Payment not received

I would like to file a complaint again. I've been paying for the lay buy and the balance is still the same. I went to the store directly and the store manager told me that they don't recommend EFT payments and they could not track my payments. I provided with proof of payment but still no help. I am very disappointed again with the level of service. The Eshowe Russell customer service is very poor

Desired outcome: Track my payments and resolve my complaint

L
4:20 pm EDT

Russells Refund not paid

I bought a JVC 55inch smart TV in November 2022 at the Worcester branch, I paid cash with my debit card, we had the TV for 3months, the screen just went black, the TV was assessed and we've got a new tv on the 14th of April 2023, 13th of May the same thing happend, took the TV to Russels it was assessed, I told the manager Aletta and the area manager Morne I don't want a new tv, I want a refund. The 27th of May the refund was logged, I took in the id and bank statement, I've signed the refund form, then the consultant told me the process will take 14-21 business days. Which is totally unacceptable. The process was not explained before hand. I paid cash, now I must wait almost a month to get my money back.

I will never ever purchase anything from Russels again, not only did I get poor service, my money is somewhere, the complaints department does not reply, I've made numerous calls without any help..

I spoke to my legal representative, I have all grounds and proof to take this matter further. I won't wait that long for my own money...

Pay my refund, so that we can settle this matter

2:01 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Russells I want to cancel credit account

Good day I went to open a credit account at Bellville Russell and it's was approved. I wanted to take kitchen build in cupboards they do cotation everything was fine on the 20 may 2023 they call me to came and sign the contract and I was happy I signed the contract the lady that was busy with my credit tell me she will submit everything on Monday.

On 23 may 2023 I received a call that I did get the school that I applied for. Same day I call the lady that was doing my credit account I explain everything and I ask her to cancel the order and credit because I want be able to pay the credit while I am at school but they tell me that the can't cancel my order

I call Russell credit office try tell me that they can't force me to take same thing that I won't be able to pay.

Can you please help me with my request I just want to cancel everything

Desired outcome: I'm still waiting they say they will come back to me but the don't want to cancel the deal

N
3:21 am EDT

Russells Cosmo 1350 build in robe

I lay by Heritage build in robe 3 door 182 and Cosmo 1350 build in robe last year April at Matatiele shop and I was told to pay delivery as am not allowed to transport the products myself and also not allowed to assembly the products myself. I finalised my payment this year March and the goods were delivered. On the 6/04/2023 their technician came to assembly my wardrobes after a long fight with store. Heritage robe 3 door 182 was assembled and the Cosmo was not because the technician finds one of the materials broken and I refused him to continue with the work. We called the store manager me and their technician informing her about the matter she promised to log a complaint.

On the 11/04/2023 I went to store to lay a complaint formally and requesting an exchange. since then, doing follow up with the store and their warehouse without getting straight answer. But their head office told me that the query has been returned to the store. On 18/05/2023 I called the warehouse as they have promised to come back to me, but they never answer their phone. I called the store, and I was told that I was not going to get any exchange as it is my fault that material is cracked or broken.

I my wardrobes to be fixed before 26/05/2023 or else am going to court

JENNIFER WULANA

[protected]

Desired outcome: I want an exchange and my wardrobe be assembled before 26/05/2023

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Russells contacts