Having problems with Norton?

Norton reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 14, 2006. The latest review Poor Customer Technical Assistance was posted on Jun 18, 2021. The latest complaint refund of annual subscription was resolved on Apr 10, 2020. Norton has an average consumer rating of 4 stars from 329 reviews. Norton has resolved 219 complaints.

Norton Customer Service Contacts

1800 680 026 (Australia)
1800 720 7898 (Singapore)
1800 441 7077 (Thailand)
1800 944 0586 (Colombia)
+1 855 815 2726 (United States)
+64 800 174 089 (New Zealand)
+44 207 616 5600 (United Kingdom)
+353 16 011 906 (Ireland)
+32 22 566 625 (Belgium)
+420 239 016 463 (Czech Republic)
+45 35 258 010 (Denmark)
+352 298 479 5023 (Luxembourg)
+31 205 040 539 (Netherlands)
+351 800 780 066 (Portugal)
+41 442 120 032 (Switzerland)
+852 25 981 234 (Hong Kong)
+60 377 124 612 (Malaysia)
+27 218 192 830 (South Africa)
+82 220 971 401 (South Korea)
+54 115 354 0370 (Argentina)
350 Ellis Street
Mountain View, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Norton Customer Service. Initial Norton complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Norton above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Norton. Discuss the issues you have had with Norton and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Norton Complaints & Reviews

Norton 360online storage

Before the recent update of my Norton 360 to my newer version, I had to deal with the dreaded pop up disrupting other programs I was running to warn me about the pathetic low level cookie issues, that Norton itself told me were not a threat. I no longer get those pop ups, now that the new version is installed, hurray!!! you say, but they have replaced that annoying pop up with another, this one telling me about the horrors of not backing up my programs/hard drive/etc., also letting me know I should buy some online room to store these back ups, well I back up what I need onto other drives myself, I don't need a program to keep pop ups reminding me to use there program and unless they offer 5tb of storage at $9.99 a month, which I'd pay for, they might as well give up!

• Ca
      Can no one be trusted? Sep 20, 2009

I feel your pain. Been through that, actually one of their techs. set up the backup storage for me, and after a few months, I tried in vain to contact them, as I could not delete the storage. Even sample wall paper and music was stored!!! Bright!! I used them for a whole year, but the last three months have been hell. I'm thinking of cancelling, after my ### session with escalations dept. on Monday.

Nortonpoor customer service

I bought Norton 360 about a year ago ($90). It installed great, but would not update. I emailed (and emailed and emailed...) asking for help, yet received NONE! I did everything the tech support guys told me to do, but it still would not update. I eventually took it to a professional and he was able to get it to work (at an additional cost of $75). I asked Norton to please extend my subscription since it had not worked for about 6 months. The Norton folks told me the subscription would be extended, yet it wasn't. I emailed, called and wrote letters, and heard nothing but "please fill out this survey to rate our work since we solved your problem."

Never, EVER buy Norton. Their customer service STINKS!

• Wi
        William Norton Jul 02, 2012

I have Comcast which comes with Norton; it's part of the monthly charge we pay Comcast I guess.
        I set my computer to an earlier time recently to try and deal with what seemed like bad virus problems that Norton couldn't seem to fix. The date I set my computer to, by the way, was just about two weeks ago. This seemed to cause problems with my Norton Security Suite.
        I was prompted to install Norton's UPDATES but it couldn't install "all" updates. I had an error message that stated I had no IP address. I must have had or I wouldn't have been online and I was online. When I tried to do a "Quick Scan" on Norton it wouldn't let me. I tried repeatedly with the same result. This seemed to be due to the fact that Norton couldn't install all updates. Every time I tried to do a Quick Scan the screen superimposed another Norton screen about installing the updates and "one click settings" . I tried this a dozen times with the same result.
        I called Comcast, which assigns you different IP addresses routinely since Norton error message stated I had no IP address and was told by the Comcast rep that I should contact Norton and I was given a Norton Help telephone number. I called Norton but when I heard their recorded message stating that all assistance was "chargeable" I hung up. Why should I pay for help with what seemed to be a problem on their system?

• Mr
        Mrs K Pritchard Aug 30, 2009

Their advert says buy our product to stopo viruses getting through, so why do I buy this and then get charged £114.99 to t=remove a virus, which came back the very next day???

• Mr
        Mrs K Pritchard Aug 30, 2009

They advertise that if you buy their product then it will prevent viruses..so why when I got a virus did they charge me £114.99 and the very next day I had a warning flash up on computer saying VIRUS????

Symantec / Norton Antivirusdouble billing

I was charged twice for renewing my Norton Antivirus one year at a cost of $44.99. I also noticed an additional charge I do not recognize which I will explain below. My order number for the renewal was VAB33006539. Transaction date was 7/29/09. I then notice a second charge of $44.99 from a site called myord.com which I did not authorize on 7/30/09. There was also a charge of $19.95 from a website called privacymatters123.com that I did not authorize as well. It occurred on 7/30/09 also. I would like to know why my card was billed for these extra charges and I expect them both to be refunded back to me. I did not authorize them! I am going to dispute both charges with my bank.

Symantec — you charged me twice!!!

I want you to refund my account ! you took out of my Debit card twice for my virus protection! and fraud ha...

Rumford

Norton 360 V3cancelled but was billed

case #[protected], I downloaded a trail version so that I could get the product on my third P C. On June 24th I cannceled the trail version because I had used my first product key No. I was told that was a way to do it and a credit would be issued. Today I got my bill from visa and it has two billing, one for 131.98 which I owe and will pay, the other was for 114.99 which was to be credited off. Please let me know if I can go ahead and pay the 131.98 and that you will get a credit to my card company this month so I won't be charged interest.
        Thanks for your help in this matter.
        Rev. Wayne E. Rader

Norton Anti - Virusannual renwal

I have recieved a bill on my cridit card for $79.99 for a renewal that i did not autorize please re-inburse me and remove me from your files so it doesn't happen again. number on statement is [protected] GBR. and i didn't recive any messages saying i had been renwed just got billed and i don't even use your product any more and haven't for the last couple of years as there's better products on the market now.
          please let me know whats going to happen. my e-mail is [protected]@optusnet.com.au

Norton 360additional bill of 59.99 dlls

Like everybody else I got charged an extra 59.99 dlls when renewed my norton antivirus and wondering if this written complain will do any good to get our money back.

• Sh
                Sheeyah Jul 03, 2009

Like everbody else, your problem is that you have Norton. (Seriously, that program slows down your computer.) Complaining about it here won't do anything to resolve the issue, though.

Norton Credit Services — scam

I have paid this company for over a year and they have neglected to work on my file. When contacted, the...

Norton Virusnever installed

Norton Symatec automatically renewed my anti virus for $52.99 on 2/13/09. I was advised I could receive a free upgrade when I was directed to go to their website. However, your company kept giving me a message that I needed the Anti Virus which was confusing me because I was just trying to get the free upgrade. So I bought the Anti Virus for $56.98. When I called Norton, the tech said I could not install this because it would mess up my computer so she said not to install it and helped me removed it. Who do I contact for a refund? I feel that your company has taken advantage me and feel like I've been ripped off!

• Pe
                  petrin Oct 18, 2009

my laptop came with a 60 day trial of norton virus and was asked to enter my info to hold when the trial was expired. It said I wouldnt be billed until my trial was up and I just checked my account and the funds of 49.99 are taken. I really need the money back. how do I get a hold of someone?

• Oe
                  oelent May 11, 2009

I DIDNOT APROVE THE CHARGE TO MY ACCOUNT

• Ve
                  Velma Jones Feb 26, 2009

virus protection charged to my debit card that I didn't order. Please reverse charge as I will be filing a dispute first thing in the morning.

• Ra
                  Ralph W. Barr Aug 22, 2008

All I wanted was to renew my Virus program and I do not want the www.myord.commn program or what ever it is. Just to renew my Norton Virus Program. I would like to cancel it and send me a refund for $129.98 less what I owe for the Norton Virus Program.

Norton 360didn't order this

I just bought a computer from Best Buy and I had them tweak it for me so it runs faster in Alaska. My daughter bought a computer in Pittsburgh Pa the day before and bought Norton 360 software. Well I went on to download a trial version which it stated to me that if I cancel it before 30 days I would get my money back. It was just a trial version. Well as soon as I put it on but I never downloaded it to my computer my daughter called me up and told me what she had done. Well the very next day I canceled the subscription and got a confirmation notice in my email saying that I canceled it and was supposed to get my money back but ended up they still charged me and I didn't get any credit on my account for it. So what is going on. Is Norton hurting that much that you guys are robbing people of their money. This all seems like a huge scam. I do have Norton 360 3.0 on my computer but its from my daughters disk that she bought. It has 3 uses out of it. So I would like to have my account credit back for the $69.98 that was taken out. 06/23/2009 DEBIT C&C DRI*SYMANTEC MYORD.COM/SYM MN $69.98 This is what I see on my account.
                Dear Gerald Altman,

We have recently cancelled the following subscription.
                Subscription Details:
                Original Order ID: [protected]
                Order Date: Jun 21, 2009 1:52:01 PM
                Product Name Subscription Date Expiration Date Amount
                Norton 360 Version 3.0 Upgrade 06/21/2009 07/21/2009 $59.99
                Extended Download Service 06/21/2009 07/21/2009 $25.99
                Norton 360 Version 3.0-30 Day Opt-out Trialware 06/21/2009 07/21/2009 $74.99

Please note: This email message was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
                Norton Support
                www.symantecstore.com
                So what is going on my account is being charged but you guys sent me a receipt showing you canceled it.
                Gerald Altman email address gerald.[protected]@verizon.net

Norton Annual Renewal — credit card being charged after I cancelled the renewal

My credit card was charged even though I did an online cancellation of the annual renewal on the 9th April...

Perth Metro Area

Norton Productkeep pop up while I am watching film online

norton product keep pop up while i am watching film online.Can you please stop this to happen again to my pc(apple mac)
                  Thanks.

• JGraceyStinson Jun 07, 2009

If you don't want it, then uninstall all the Norton products on your computer.

First thing to do is run the uninstall and see if that stops it.

If it doesn't, you might need to download the Norton Removal Tool afterwards - you can download it here for free http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039.

DO NOT RUN THAT TOOL UNLESS THE FIRST UNINSTALL DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

I

• Ng
                      nguyen huyen vu Jun 07, 2009

no it is not a new computer, i have had it for nearly year now.
                      the message is like advertising norton product 2009 for sell.
                      last year i have bought norton antivirus for my apple mac, but i have been told that i do not need any antivirus for mac.
                      that why i do not want to buy it again this year, but however i do not think this is a case of norton pop up while i am watching film online. can you please help?because i am so annoy with this.

• JGraceyStinson Jun 07, 2009

A few questions:

1) Is this a new computer?

2) When Norton "pops up" what is the message?

Norton Antivirus 360charged twice for update

I have had a great deal of trouble installing the Norton Anti Virus 360 and have now been charged two amounts on my Credit Card. My emails have been returned.

On my bank statement it shows DRI Symantec Generic www.myord.com have been paid $52.84 on 26/5/09 and $50.93 on 30/5/09. I understood that I was to be charged $49.99 as I only required one Norton Anti Virus. I have attempted to contact them but without success. Could you please advise me as to what I should do next. Thank you

• Na
                        naomiprevo Feb 08, 2009

ordered upgrade did not download could not it was stopped by my computer...now charge is pending on my account 49.99 please take off or refund...

John Nov 14, 2008

Norton AntiVirus automatically billed my debit card without authorization from me and I don't use the antivirus anymore. How can I get my money back?

• Ga
                        Garie Brownrigg Sep 23, 2008

In August 20 I was billed two times for a Norton product when I only downloaded one on my computer. I had begun the process of downloading and had given my credit card information when I was disconnected. I then got back on line and tried it again. This time everything worked and Norton was downloaded onto my computer. When I received my bill the other day I had been charged twice for the cost of $89.98 instead of only one Norton charge.

Please fix this and take the additional charge off of my credit card.

Garie Jean Brownrigg

Norton 360"free" upgrade not free at all

I bought Norton 360 2.0 in March of this year. I installed the software, registered it with Symantec, and it was working and doing its job just fine. I had received several updates to the software (as expected for virus recognition, etc).

Last month I received an email from Symantec offering a "free upgrade" to Norton 360 3.0. The advestisement emphasized that since I was a registered license holder, I was eligible for free software upgrades.

My assumption was that I would get the "free upgrade" and when the year on the license I purchased expired Symantec would bill me for the next license. Obviously, I was mistaken. The upgrade install eliminated my Norton 360 2.0 software and installed Norton 360 3.0 on a thirty day trial basis, and asked me if I wanted to purchase a new software key to keep Norton 360 3.0 working.

This certainly was deceptive advertizing. It isn't free when you have to buy a new software key. I wrote directly back to Symantec by email complaining about this practice and have not heard a thing from them since. I will reinstall the Norton 360 2.0 on my laptop, but once the license expires you can be assured I will find some other security software for my computer and it will not be Symantec.

• Ck
                          CKSmith Sep 18, 2011

I'm sorry, AVG Free virus protection is free and the AVG Free PC repair (optional) is free for 24 hours and then you have to purchase it.

• Ck
                          CKSmith Sep 18, 2011

AVG Free is only free for 24 hours and then you have to purchase it.

• Do
                          Don Jun 01, 2009

Norton used to be a good company. Now Norton comes pre-installed on nearly every computer with a 'Trial Version' and when it expires, you are unprotected. I repair computers for a living and I truly believe Norton is awful software. It is ineffective as protection and deceiving for unknowing PC users.

I remove Norton's 360 Trial Version on 90% of the newer PCs I repair because the PC is infected with viruses/spyware.

If you currently have Norton installed, I recommend browsing to google and typing in 'Avast Home' or 'AVG Free' for solid free Virus protection then uninstall Norton(free for home use only, businesses must pay for the software).

Great free spyware scanners include 'MBAM' by Malwarebytes, 'Spybot' by Safer Networking, and 'SuperAntiSpyware' -all free for home use.

Free software does not mean it isn't good, it just means that you are using a free version of paid software or they make money from donations.

Nortonvisa charge

Hi have had a eduction from from Visa account for $99.99 New Zeland dollars under the title of Norton Annual Renewal, charge code [protected].

I have not used any Norton Products for well over 18 months and am very concerned that this money has been deducted by your company.

Please reply to this complaint to my e-mail address at [protected]@gmail.com

Shane

Norton Anti Virus Annual Renewalfraudulent billing

I found Norton's Anti Virus to be inadequate, so I switched to another company. In the meantime, Norton has continued to automatically bill my checking account event without my authorization. Every year, they bill my account. Every year I ask the bank to reverse the charge. Every year I call Norton and they promise not to do it again.

I believe that Norton is running a fraudulent billing scam.

Does anyone know what governmental agency will handle this matter in California?

Sounds like a class action lawsuit for some attorney.

• Pk
                              P.K.pattnaik Jun 14, 2009

CON CONSUMER AND GET RICH

many anti virus companies are making their own virus and and sending them through hackers. And later on they cure it with their package. Some companies all and sudden stop updating. When the customer reports about this their agent comes and tells you that due to some defect in computer it has been corrupted. So you have to go for the new version by paying an inflated amount.There are companies who do not have the annual renewal system. But their marketing partners charge annual renewal fees which is against the basic principles of the mother company. The after sale service of most Anti-virus companies specially in India is simply disastrous.
                              There is no corporate ethics, swindling is the basic agenda. There has to be some regulatory authority to monitor these unethical and criminal practices. In my view the company against whom a defined number of customer complains are lodged and the company does not respond to that WWW/GOOGLE/YAHOO /NETSCAPE should ban them remove them under the charge of unethical commercial practices
                              P.K.Pattnaik
                              [email protected]

• Ga
                              gail kostolansky Dec 06, 2008

Received Norton anti virus renewal for a computer that no longer works at my new home address. The renewal is unauthorized and must be illegal to bill former customers for computer software services for a non existent computer.

Sincerely,

Gail Kostolansky

Norton Internet Security — unauthorized chagres

04/23/2017 check card dri*reg.net - h ([protected]) $2.00 04/23/2017 check card dri*reg.net - h ...

Calimesa

Norton Internet Securitycharged my account without providing me download access via e-mail

I bought Norton Internet Security online, but I was not sent a a download access via my e-mail as has been the practice. My account was charged without my having the software download.

matty123 Oct 03, 2013

norton are ###ing disgusting they charged me 70 quid on automatic renewal . absolute ###, 70 ###ing quid i cant afford . i did not know i was entered into automatic renewal, ###ing wankers norton are thiefs crooks and need ###ing blowing up . you ###ing waste of time ###s. hope the greedy ### at the top of norton get shot by terrorist, why only our goverment allow the british to get ripped of bent over and shagged, ive emailed norton 4 emails everytime ignored . yep you robbed me got my money now i can ### of, . i wonder if i go to pc world and put an axe through all the norton security, get arrested, make the paper, the it may get looked at, the ###ing extreams we have to go to to not get ripped off is a joke . lotto doubled, gas electric hiked up im on a water metre we are a family of six we work and still cant afford to live . so we dont need theese tossers at norton robbing us again,

• Ms
                                M. Swanlund Apr 15, 2011

I purchased Norton Security on the Internet and received nothing. Is this a scam or what?

Norton 360 V2constantly fixing norton / slow updates don't work

I am fed up with Norton 360. I bourght this product in January with a new laptop with Windows Vista on. Since then I have been through support technicians 4 times for the following reasons:
                              Updates won't complete
                              Emails not covered by virus protection
                              It has been uninstalled and reinstalled every time. Now it keeps taking me out of the internet.
                              Each time I switch on the laptop I am not sure what I am going to be faced with.
                              Can someone please help now or else I am going to uninstall the product and get another anti-virus programme.

Norton Antivirus 2009 — product does not do what it is supposed to do

So I bought Norton AntiVirus 2009 to prevent virus' to protect my computers. A month or so in to using...