Having problems with Norton?

1800 680 026 (Australia)
1800 720 7898 (Singapore)
1800 441 7077 (Thailand)
1800 944 0586 (Colombia)
+1 855 815 2726 (United States)
+64 800 174 089 (New Zealand)
+44 207 616 5600 (United Kingdom)
+353 16 011 906 (Ireland)
+32 22 566 625 (Belgium)
+420 239 016 463 (Czech Republic)
+45 35 258 010 (Denmark)
+352 298 479 5023 (Luxembourg)
+31 205 040 539 (Netherlands)
+351 800 780 066 (Portugal)
+41 442 120 032 (Switzerland)
+852 25 981 234 (Hong Kong)
+60 377 124 612 (Malaysia)
+27 218 192 830 (South Africa)
+82 220 971 401 (South Korea)
+54 115 354 0370 (Argentina)
350 Ellis Street
Mountain View, California

Complaints & Reviews

anual renewal

We just saw on our bank statement that you deducted 60, 74 Euro for a Norton Anual Renewal. We want to cancel our annual subscibtion by the 1st of april as we no longer have a regular pc, which makes the use of Norton unneccesary.
The Credit card it was deducted from was a Master Card with card number [protected] . The card is in the name of Sunshower Productions BV. B. Goldschneider-Meijer. Address: Hobbemakade 92 hs, 1071 XR Amsterdam, Netherlands, tel:+[protected]
Please take notice and cancel our subscibtion. The number in Great Britain it was transferred to is: [protected].
Please send us a confirmation that the subscibtion is cancelled and return the money we paid too much to the above mentioned credit card number at bank number [protected] for Sunshowet Productions BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands at Rabobank.
Hopefully this problem will be solved now,
Sincerely,
B. Goldscheider-Meijer
Sushower Productions BV

• We
    Wendy June Cotton Jan 20, 2009

In November, 2017, I decided to install some better protection for my computer. I agreed to a Norton installation, and paid by my Mastercard credit card. This was debited to my card account on22nd November 2017, being US $53.98 (Australian $90.00)
    I have just had my computer in for a service/check up, and the technician advised me that I had no 'safety' on my computer, and no sign af any Norton Security products.
    I have now another security device installed, and would like the return of my money, namely $90 Australian.
    I shall not be reticent in informing others of my troubles.
    I am an aged pensioner, and life is hard enough without this sort of problem, and the loss of my hard saved money.

Please reply promptly,

Wendy June Cotton

• Da
    DavidS Jan 27, 2009

Norton's customer service team regularly leave you waiting in the phone queue for an absurd amount of time.

Lately I have been left on hold for 55 minutes and 45 minutes respectively before giving up, with the phone never having been answered.

I finally got an e-mail address to complain to and have not had a reply in more than a month, despite four e-mails.

Norton's anti-virus software seems adequate but their customer service is by far the worst I have encountered at any company. They make it extremely difficult to file complaints and they simply ignore them when they receive them.

[Resolved] unauthorized payment

i got charged an annual fee for the anti virus software and i never gave permission for this. £59.98...

symantec uses third parties to find your new credit card numbers

Symantec uses a "billing update service" through many national banks to find out the new card numbers and expiration dates of your credit and checking account cards. Even if you have an entirely new credit card number from the one they have on file for you, if the old card is through a bank, they can find your new one and charge it without your permission if you have auto-renewal selected.

I received an auto-renewal notice saying my card on file (a card I had replaced a year ago) was expired and that I needed to provide a new card to them or risk losing protection. Well I did not want to renew, so I gave no new card. I assumed that was the end of it. A week later I received a "thank you" email from Symantec saying they have successfully charged my NEW card, that I never provided to them. I was horrified that they found out my new card number without my permission and CHARGED it.

The customer support tech (who was actually very nice) explained that Symantec uses a "billing update" service provided through major banks to find the new account information of existing customers who have "selected the convenience of auto renewal". Apparently they are so dedicated to our convenience that we don't even have to give them our credit card information. They will go out and find it.

She wouldn't elaborate, but I'm pretty sure her supervisors wouldn't let her. The old card on file was a debit card but since my checking account number is the same, they used this "service" to obtain my new card number associated with my checking account. Which means they have access to my checking account info!! I am horrified. This is the equivalent of digging through someone's garbage and stealing their information.

Needless to say, I am horrified that I was sent an email asking me to give a new card, and when I did not... they went out and hunted it down and CHARGED it without permission.

• Ju
    Judy Miles Jul 18, 2008

Renewed Nortons Anitvirus for my computer and it did all that it was to do as far as download but it keeps asking to renew my subscription will I am not happy with this I want my money returned to my checking as of tomorrow.

• Le
    leftfield101010 Jul 20, 2008

Good luck with that.

cannot get subscription renewed

I have filled out the application to renew my 360 Norton security for my PC. I still have not received the download. What is worrying me now is that the credit card company asked me if I have ordered this service, apparently Norton or Symantec Store has charged to me card. I can't get into my email because I continually receive threats of disasterous PC failure if I don't act quickly. If I could get into my email I could delete most of the contents, but since I can't get in the emails ontinue to grow. I need help, I have asked for help several times, but since my email is full of blocked I can't see if any instructions have been sent. Can you give me some by phone ? This is the first time I have ever had trouble renewing my security subscription. Glenn

billing

I have not had Norton in over two years, yet you keep billing my credit card (without my permission) for renewal. Norton does not show up on my computer, yet you want me to pay $51.99 for something I don't have and don't want. I pay $70. a year for McAfee. I want this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Dorthy Hinnant
[protected]@hotmail.com

• Pa
    Pauline Pfeif Sep 11, 2008

I have been getting a notice on my computer for about a month now that my subscription was expiring. I hit renew and than it said it was renewed and nothing more needed to be done. Kept getting expiration notice so ignored it until a couple of days before it expired and renewed it again. Again it said I need to do onothing ahd then it just expired. Tried everything to get it renewed, and it looks like I have it renewed, plus another invoice that says that I have ordered the 2009 version. The order number 775921941 is for 2009 version and total of $66.98. The other invoice order number 4926994812 is the renewal for $48.98. Please credit my account for $66.98. This has been a total nightmare trying to get it renewed, and no telephone number anywhere to talke to someone. Please respond.

unauthorized charges

This morning I renewed my annual Norton Internet Protection service. The cost to renew is $49.99

15 minutes after renewing, I logged into my online banking & in the pending charges were 3 separate charges from Norton!

That's $109.98 more than verbally discussed.

The person that helped me was Pavankumar Munnalal Shrivastav from Symantec Support.

I spent over an hour with someone on the phone that could not correct the situation before being transferred to his supervisor that offered the same rhetoric nonsense.

Now refund the money from the unauthorized charges!

unathorised credit card renewal charges

Norton have automatically taken payment £68.04 from my credit card without my authorisation. They sate this is for antivirus software but I do not require this renewal and nolonger have the computer for which I originally purchased the software.

They are fraudulently using my original purchase deatils without my authority.

A similar charge was made to my Grandfather only last month by Norton, again for a renewal that was not required and a payment that was not authorised.

Norton (Symantec) do not reply to emails raising this issue.

It is a scam, and should be illegal. But Credit Card companies insist that you pay whilst they investigate.

• Em
    Emma Jeffs Feb 23, 2009

Hi Graham

It’s Emma from Symantec here, I wanted to explain what has happened with your auto-renewal payment.

When you originally subscribed to your Norton product, and registered for your Norton account, you would have left the Automatic Renewal feature enabled – this is why you have been charged with auto renewal.

Auto renewal is designed to offer our customers the conveinience of their Norton product subscription being automatically renewed at the end of the subscription period, rather than the customer having to remember to manually take action to stay protected.

Symantec will have emailed you 30 days before the payment went out and the renewal took place, letting you know the payment was due, and giving you the option to unsubscribe at that time.

Customers can also cancel their auto-renewals at any time through their Norton account. Automatic Renewal is featured as Norton’s On-going Protection, designed to make sure you are always protected from the latest threats.

If you do not want to continue with your renewed subscription, please do let me know on this forum and I will arrange for a refund and cancellation for you.

Best wishes
    Emma

• Do
    double billing Apr 01, 2010

I ordered antivirus coverage on my laptop on 2/8/10 for$49.99, It was taken out of my account at that time, on 3/8/10 another $39.99 was deducted from my account. What is this about?? Please rectify this problem. Thank You Please send reply to [email protected]

keep getting reminders authough paid annual renewal 22nd jan 2009

I have found that Norton are actually taking subscriptions twice. After not realising that by upgrading an account with a new email address, your old details are not automatically deleted/overwritten, we were paying for the old product (Norton Internet Security) and the new (Norton 360).

If users change their email address without updating details on the Norton 'My Account' page, you risk not receiving renewal warnings.

After two years of pulling my hair out, I have decided to take my money elsewhere. Maybe this will encourage Symantec to be more Sympathetic.

p.s. I should say that after an hour talking to Symantec staff in India and the USA from the UK, the staff seem OK, just let down by systems.

Good luck

difficult in receiving a refund

I purchased the system yesterday for $59.99 and have spent many, many hours to try and complete their many downloads and requests and still they have not completed my installation. My reason for purchasing is that every time I went on line their advertising came up and made it difficult to continue other things on my computer. I then decided to purchase it to get rid of them but now after purchasing it they are making it VERY difficult to complete the installation. I am asking them for a refund of my $59.99 and that too they are making it very difficult. Can you help? My email is [protected]@yahoo.com
Connie Schulien

• Wi
    william finnigan Aug 11, 2008

I am enrolled with earthlink and their office has told me I do ot have to renewal with Norton as Iam paying a monthly fee with earthlink which covers Norton, However Norton is requesting I renew with them for Norton service. I have not been able to find a way to contact Norton about this problem. Can you help?

Nancy J. Myers Nov 10, 2008

I have a charge on my checking account which I do not recognize for $39.95 on October 10, 2008. Please explain. And refund me the money please.
    My email is changed to [email protected]

• Pa
    pam boultbee Mar 03, 2009

I DID NOT AUTHORIZE A RENUAL FOR NORTON 2008-2009 I DO NOT USE IT I WAS CHARGED ON MY DEPT VISA CARD. PLEASE CREDIT TO MY VISA IMMEDIATLEY.
    PAM BOULTBEE

• Se
    Sears Master Card Mar 01, 2010

Tried to place an order, the password was not accepted, the order was refused... I now have a different company as security for my computer... this charge needs to be credited back to my sears master card... I thank you very much for your services...

• Ca
    callendar Sep 18, 2010

norton security will not leave my computer alone i am going to write to newspapers to have them investigate

charges without any reason

My lst protestain against symantec who never replyes :
My key products vvpfw63wvwvwk42jtytvtvfvyj7
Account number : [protected]
They are swindler or crook, and very stupid and crazy : i’ve cancelled and have not been using all your products since 2007, because norton doesn’t give me satisfaction, norton being unable to eradicate every virus that enters into my computer.
They stoled me, taxed me about eur 30, 12 on february 2008, so that I sent them a confirmation of my cancellation.
They sent me the following mail :
This notice is to confirm that you have elected to opt out of the automatic renewal feature for your norton antivirus subscription. as such, symantec will not automatically renew your norton antivirus product subscription.
Your current security protection will expire in 371 days placing you at significant risk of losing the critical internet threat protection counted on by millions of users daily.
Customers with up-to-date subscriptions automatically receive protection at no additional charge as they become available.
If you think you have received this notification in error or incorrectly cancelled the automatic renewal feature, please contact customer support.
And this one :
Dear jacques dibon,
As part of norton automatic renewal service, symantec has automatically renewed your subscription by charging your debit or credit card. your subscription has been extended by 12 months.
You enrolled in norton automatic renewal service when you purchased your product subscription. norton automatic renewal service allows you to continue using norton antivirus without interruption and helps ensure your system stays protected from the latest online threats.
You do not need to do anything! thank you for your purchase.
_
Invoice/order details
Order number: vab21817465
Date of order: january 16, 2009
Product serial number: xjrpxp7dw99r

I answered them :
No matter of renewing my subscritpion. I have not been using your services since more than a year. it is the 2nd time you steale me money. I have already said you that I did notwant any symantec renewals
You must cancel all the services I subscripted aith you 3 years ago
It does not matter that you make anything for me. I am now with trend micro. clear?

Please consult your files where I said you that I did not want you, last year.
Ii am going to make stop payment of my credit card
Regards
In spite of my correspondence protestation, they one more time stolen me eur 30.10 on february 29th

What must I do to make explain them that I do not want no more norton and symantec? and this fact since about two years and half. I demand that they return me eur 30.12 this sum appears on my account as : norton annual r gb [protected]

Regards

natures Feb 26, 2009

charge 59.99, never got norton anti-virus

I ordered Norton anti-virus, on the web. I charged $59.99 to my credit card. Never got the Norton download. Norton did'nt have record of my order. My computor had many virus's after. I was not contacted by this company. After many emails, I still have no answers, & they have my money. How can I get a refund?

trojan removal

what a bloody joke, My comp got a trojan which norton security let in !! an they want me to pay $99.99 US to get it fixed !!
even though its there anti virus that let the virus in, in the firt place . They dont realise the exchange rate to NZ Dollars !!
I waited over 1 hour to talk to someone who didnt want to fix the problem he just wanted the money !! what a joke you pay for protection then when it lets something in you have to pay for there malfunction !

• Bo
    bob w Feb 07, 2009

I have used Norton products for several years. I renewed my subscription to Norton 360 Premier Edition as a two year contract on Jan. 25, 2009. After running the latest update (I have the system set for automatic updates) the program told me that the computer was infected with a virus that needed "manual assistance" to fix. The Norton website gave me detailed instructions on what to do. After following those instructions, the virus was still detected.

I checked the Symantec website for info on the virus. The website stated that they are aware of the virus and the latest update would fix the problem. NO, IT DOES NOT.

I contacted "Customer Support" via the website. I felt like I was in a used car lot, where the person I was chatting with had only one capability. Charge me $100.00 and then send me to a technician who might fix the problem.

Where is the disconnect here?

1. Norton did not detect and remove the virus
    2. Norton is aware of the virus
    3. Norton claims the latest version of the Update will detect the virus (IT DOES NOT!!!)
    4. Norton tech support is a scam to collect money to fix problems that Norton is aware of and claims that their software will protect your system from

P.O.S. Anyone want to guess what I believe this product and company is?

unauthorised payment after cancelling product

I sent an email to Symantec's subscription email address several weeks ago cancelling my Norton Anti Virus account and telling the company not to make a withdrawel from my Master card account.

I was horrified when I received an email from Symantec informing me that they had withdrawn $44.99 from my master card account this included $2.00 tax. I have tried emailing them at their subscription email address telling them to refund the amount taken from my account but the email seems to be blocked at the outbox level and wont go through. I have tried calling the company at their phone line but all that happened was that I listened to music awaiting an operator while the dollars rolled up on my phone bill. I am disgusted with this company as well as with my bank who let the payment go through after I blocked it. I am using the web address given on the letter to try and get my money refunded and stop this account for good. I feel utterly trapped into this Norton Anti Virus account which I am still not receiving even though they charged me again and my email number is still the same on my new computer. Please free me from Norton Anti Virus and Symantec. Yours hopefully. Helen Simpson.

SANDRA KNAPP Apr 04, 2008

I have a receipt from symantec for a total of $61.98 (1.99 down load, 49.99 subscription, 10.00 upgrade, dated 3/2/o8 and thei shows up on my astercard bill. I also have a $49.99 norton annual renewal. It appears you have charged my account 2 times for the same item. Please reply ASAP and credit my account ASAP. I will have to pay these charges or incur interest on my account.

• Wi
    willie Aug 26, 2008

my account was automatically renewed on July 3, 2008 and my credit card was automatically charged $49.99, however, it says that my subscription has run out. I tried to verify the product subscription status to see if it is up to date and it will not let me view it. Please advise

• Li
    Lin DeTitta Sep 07, 2008

The same thing happened to me. I also was advised that there was a 9.95 charge if I wanted to phone and talk to anyone about it. There were 60 ahead of me for online chat help. I emailed for help and, although advised that I would receive a reply in 24 hours, at 26 hours I had no response. I sent a strong follow up email, and the problem was resolved. In the meantime, the application was prompting me to renew my subscription. An attempt to double bill? I wonder how many times a subscriber does not check her/his credit card statement and follows the prompt.

natures Feb 26, 2009

• Co
    Colin Pond May 06, 2009

I have been wrongly charged for a subscription renewal to Norton Antivirus. I received an email saying my renewal was due (correct) and I paid by card. I subsequently received a further charge direwctly from Symantec for the same renewal. I have been wrongly charged £44.99 and seek reimbursement

not activated, yet renewed

I recieved a Norton Automatic Renewal Service pre- billing notification, on November 6 2008 at 4:30 am, On...

downloading norton 360 completely locked up my computer

I purchased Norton 360 subscriptionon 14 Jan, 2009. It has completely foulrd up my computer. if I am lucky enough to bring up a selected item, it is locked there.I cannot go further. the selected page is locked. Most of the time alt/ ctl/del willnot remove it, only manuall shutdown. I have uninstalled it and have my computer back in operation. I
I would like a refund of the purchase price.
Details; Order #[protected]
order date; 14 jan 2009
product name; 1 Norton 360 subscription $69.99
product serial # KKCYP7KQBMJH

no subscription key sent

I renewed my subscription for Norton Confidential on line on 24th Dec 2008, but I have not received the subscription key number by e-mail to complete the transaction. My payment went through on 25th Dec 2008. I am still being asked to renew my subscription. Please send me the subscription key number or I will stop subscribing.

Shelagh Norton.

rebate

I purchased a Norton product with a $20 rebate and was sent the $20 rebate as a "Visa Debit" card. What a...

payment no service

I purchased the Norton Security System 360 on line on Dec.3, 2008 for $59.99 via credit card. As of this date [protected]) I hleave not received any conformation that the system was activated. I keep getting reminders (popups) that state that my free subscription has expired.I understand from other websites that this company is a fraudulant system. Iwould like to know if there is any recourse (on my part) concerning this situation ?Thanking you in advance.Please e-mail as to possible resolution in this matter.Yours truly, Michael Perrino

• Am
    Amy Riley May 23, 2009

I too, purchased Norton Security, on-line .They took my money with no return of a product .
    I'm really upset about this . When you go to there web page to talk to somone live about this problem there is no one to do that with . So they took my money of 59.99 as well. I think they should be sued !!!

Amy Riley

• 3s
    3SYMBOLS May 23, 2009

JUST GET AVG FREE INSTALL IVE HEARD OF THIS FROM SEVERAL PEOPLE ABOUT THE SAME PROBLEM

no product key

I dont understand how you people can take my money and dont deliver a product!!!
You send me a conformation letter with the order #[protected] .
This letter states that in order to be able to download a liscence product, you have to put in the product key#, and that number is located on the email conformation letter. Well as you guessed it, you did not put that product key # in that letter, nor can I contact you on your contact list to be able to ask someone. It sounds like you dont want to be notified to fix this problem but you have no problem taking my money.

Feel free to contack me anytime at [protected]@securespeed.us
NOT VERRY HAPPY WITH YOUR SERVICE

• Ga
    Gayel Colliver Aug 05, 2008

Have been charged for program Norton Internet Security 2008 that won"t installe on the computer. Emailed the contact Support 2 times as of to date no answer. Would appreciate any help on problem.

download from internet that did not work after six hours!!

Hello, Certainly hope you can help me with this, "BIG PROBLEM", since Sept.30th, 2008 when this poped up on my screen telling me I had one day to upgrade. The cost was $69.99 + $8.99 for the download that took six hours on a dial-up computer. This is no joke and I want my money back grand total of $78.98, "or for them to send me a new one to my address to download onto my computer myself. Thank You for any help, Norman&Shrley Beitz <[protected]@route24.net>i24.net> wrote:

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices