McDonaldshave an allergic reaction on their mocha

K

I don't know how, or with what, McDonald's makes their iced mochas, but I tried one over the weekend and had a severe allergic reaction. I am not allergic to any sort of nuts, etc. However, about 1/3 of the way through the mocha I started sneezing violently, for 5 minutes straight, with the longest break between sneezes being 20 seconds. My eyes watered and swelled, sinuses swelled up and my throat burned. I think any unusual ingredients should be declared for people to see prior to ordering. I would like to know how the mochas are made and what exactly would be in them to cause such a reaction. I know it was the mocha, since I stopped drinking it, and the symptoms passes after about 45 mins. I took another couple of sips just to make sure, and sure enough, started sneezing again.

• De
    Denise Thrash Apr 09, 2021

On 4/7/2021, I had a medium McDonald’s Mocha Frappe and apple fritter. Within 30 minutes, I had a violent allergic reaction which included lips swelling, severe stomach cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, cold sweats, and chills - all at once! When my stomach was empty, I began to feel better. I then took a Claritin which was the only antihistamine I had on me, but my lips took the rest of the day to go down.

• Na
    NancyAnne Jan 19, 2018

I also had an allergic reaction to the iced mocha. I've had one twice and each time broke out in hives on my neck within a few hours (I didn't make the connection the first time). The following day my face swells up especially around my eyes. I have no known allergies.

• Zo
    Zolata Jun 26, 2016

I have been a McDonalds customer since I was a child- 30+ years. I too had an allergic reaction to the Mocha Frappe iced coffee. I have NO known allergies to nuts, soy, wheat, milk or anything, and have consumed them without a problem ever. But after I drank the mocha my top lip immediately began to swell. I took two benadryl and appliedband a cold compress. My lips were still swollen so I took two more. But thankfully no difficulty breathing.

Comments

• Hn
    HNC96 Jul 03, 2015

I had a very severe allergic reaction to McDonalds iced mocha coffee. I had to stay late a work for a meeting so my mom stopped to grab me a coffee, she brought me an iced mocha coffee. I have drank McDonalds iced coffee for years but usually got caramel. I had never had mocha before. About a quarter of the way threw my drink I started breaking out in hives. I am a nurse at a nursing home in a meeting in front of 20 other staff members. I go to the med room and got a Benadryl. Thinking that would take care of the problem. not even ten minutes later I started having problems breathing, within the next minute I couldn't breathe at all. Thank goodness I had my Epipen in my bag. I would really like to know what is in that drink too. Because like I said I have drank coffee from there for years and a lot of them with chocolate in them.

• Gm
    gmakate Sep 13, 2013

OMG! I too had the same reaction. However, didn't make the connection until I had another one. The first time I was drinking it while in a local home improvement store picking up acoustical ceiling tiles. Just assumed it was something in the store. I was sneezing so hard I could barely make it through the check out. I couldn't speak because I was sneezing every few seconds. Never experienced anything like that in my life. The second time I just picked one up on my way home from work. Sneezed for hours, this time though, it also seemed to affect my upper respiratory too. Thankfully the sneezing fit was not as bad as the first time. Just extremely obnoxious and very unpleasant. I looked up the ingredients and it doesn't look like anything major. I'm also not allergic to any foods, or nuts or berries... I can't imagine what it is... and it really stinks, because they taste soooo very good!

Chepannie Jan 02, 2011

Basically, you pump a certain amount of chocolate syrup in the size of cup you ordered. (3 pumps for a small, 4 for a medium, etc). Press a button and it goes. To my belief, there are coffee beans and steamed milk + espresso. Nothing unusual about a mocha, so there is no reason for them to state whats in it unless you ask...