[Resolved] Maytag Performa Washer and Dryermultiple product defects!

H

We bought a Maytag Performa a few years ago, maybe 5. For a couple of years now it has continually gone off balance and strangely it does not shut itself off like the other washers we have had in the past. Bang, bang, bang until you get to the washer. The last straw was Saturday night when the water fill switch did not shut off. That’s what we are guessing it was because my husband put clothes in the dryer and started the washer. (I was at a baby shower.) He went back before the dryer had completely cycled to pull clothes out and found water everywhere. Water was coming out the top of the machine. It flooded the bathroom on one side of the laundry room and the closet on the other side of the laundry room. The water flooded about ten feet down the hallway and we haven’t been able to see how much of the bedroom yet because we haven’t been able to get the book cases out to check under them yet. We borrowed a neighbor’s 16 gallon wet vac and it took multiple fills to try to get all the water up off the floors and out of the carpets. We had to pull back the carpet in the hallway to dry it and the pad out. After having a high powered fan on the closet carpet overnight the carpet and the pad had to be taken off the floor and put outside in the cold January temps to try to dry. They were dripping as we carried them outside on Sunday. We don’t think they are salvageable.

The washing machine my Dad had while I was growing up lasted 20 plus years. No, things are not made as well as they use to be, but this tops the cake. I’ve been married 25 years and have had 4 washing machines, the last one being Maytag.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 06, 2012

Hello Mr. Parks. My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your washer. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the site you were contacted on, your user ID name, your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.

• Vw
    vwman99 Feb 21, 2009

Maytag appliances are junk, do not buy. Our Performa dryer had two service calls near the end of the one year warranty and each one took six weeks to get fixed. Bad timer first time, front drum supports and seal second time, and now the timer is acting up again but its couple months out of warranty. Maytag refuses to admit these are lemons. Our previous Whirlpool lasted 13+ years with minimal issues, this junk is just 18 months old. Now that Whirlpool is owned by Maytag I will buy Samsung/LG instead next time. DO NOT BUY MAYTAG JUNK !!!

• To
    Tony Apr 12, 2009

I have a Maytag Performa Washer and it is going out the door 4 years later to the scrap yard. First the piece of crap motor went at 1 month old, the drum never spun right (need to babysit) and now it just flooded my damn house. Thats it, I will never buy a piece of crap maytag product again. Dont get burned by the garbage products that MAYTAG is pushing out the door today. BUY LG

• Bb
    bbstreet4 Apr 19, 2009

I too, have had nothing but problems since we purchased our Performa Washing Machine. I've had it 2 years. The first year, the drum was spinning like a fool. My husband and his friend "fixed" it. This year, something is wrong with the timer or something. You star the wash and it goes until the rinse cycle and stops. For minutes or hours, it depends on if you hear it make this loud screech sound. If you hear that sound in time and run to the washer to lift the lid up and down, up and down, until it finally "catches" and starts running again. I've been doing this for 2 weeks now. I'm sick to death of this washer. Do yourself a favor and buy ANYTHING BUT a Performa.

• Kb
    kbjvance May 18, 2009

I bought a maytag performa in July of 2003. They was supposed to be the best ya right. It has flooded my house 3 times and you can't keep it balanced no matter if it's a small, med., or large load a peice of crap

• Sp
    Speers Sep 03, 2009

We bought a maytag performa July 2004, was suppose to be a great machine, and it has been the WORST crap ever! The first couple years were actually OK, and then bing bang boom... It spins and the tub is not in place, so it does the hokey pokey across the floor, and takes the dryer with it, smashing the heck out of anything in the way. It does not matter, how much or how little is in the load. You have to babysit the damn thing and continuously open and close lid, and re-organize the clothes, so you can get thru a rinse cycle. Usually takes us up to an hour, to get the rinse cycle done.
    We called repair shops- they will not fix it, will cost more, then the machine did, and according to these repair shops, Maytag does not make this performa anymore because of this issue. Shame on them, for sucking us in!

DO NOT BUY PERFORMA!!

maytagdislike Sep 12, 2009

I have had my maytag Performa washer and Dryer for a few years now. I have problems with the machine not spinning out right and now the agitater is broken. It will not kep lock in and spin right I have to hold it down so it will clean the clothes right. Maytag used to be a great brand I will never buy a Maytag appliances again. Also the dyer will not dry clothes unless you reset the timer 2-3 time extra. So much for energy savings!!! If they know they have a bad product they maybe they should do something to fix it, I sent good money on this set and it is junk!!!

Mat568 Oct 18, 2009

Performa is the bottom-of-the-line for Maytag. It's their budget brand, and our salesperson told us that right off. We have had some problems with the washer recently, but we got 5 years out of it and that's about what you can expect for a set that cost $700.

Is Performa stuff great? Not at all. Does it do everything it's supposed to do and last long enough to be reasonable for the price? Absolutely.

• Si
    SICKINTIRED Dec 31, 2010

Less than 2 yrs with a Performa ...stops in middle of cycle, open shut open shut lid until it catches
    Then suddenly it doesnt anymore and ur stuck with wet clothes and a washer full of water..SUCKS

• Ag
    Aggrevated Consumer May 02, 2011

Same thing...I bought a Performa set 4 1/2 years ago and they have worked great up until the last few days. The washer will fill up, try to engage the spin cycle and quit, leaving me with a washer full of water. After I let it sit for several minutes, it would sometimes kick in and sometimes it wouldn't. I read several forums and they all seem to point to Maytag "slapping" them together. I called Maytag and they have the rudest customer service and didn't care whether I fixed it or not. Shame on them, I'll never buy another Maytag product. I am debating on replacing the motor or hauling the thing to the scrap yard. Hope this helps...

• Ri
    Richard Parks Mar 24, 2012

Man, I think we should start a class action suit against Maytag Performa--I have the same problems as all you other folks.
    I dreamed of owning a Magtag, the repairman never had anything to do!!! My Maytag jumps all over the second floor washroom and had driven us crazy--making the drain pipes leak on the ceiling. Let's get a good lawyer!!

• St
    S. Thomas Dec 13, 2012

I cannot get a repairman to touch my maytag performa because the serial number has worn out and they said that it would be too much trouble. Sears said it was the transmission and another repair business has not even bothered to follow-up with me.Called the maytag number from the website and was told that I would have to pay for the part even if it was the wrong part. I am so disappointed.

• Ji
    jim mack May 25, 2014

I guess I got a good set. Bought performa washer and dryer 13 years ago. Three months ago replaced the belt in the washer and put a thermo fuse in the dryer. Less than 1 hour of my time and $45 in parts. No complaints here.

• Gr
    GrimesSA May 02, 2015

Hokey Pokey describes it. Our Performa dances, too, even on the gentle cycle. We figured we'd let it bang itself to death and buy a real washer.

• Sl
    SLord Sep 05, 2015

Buying all new appliances. In the past always purchased Maytag, but never again. Our washer is always dancing across the laundry room floor no matter how carefully we load it. Maytag response was to defend the product rather than acknowledge that it was a design fault. Even the most basic of washers should work properly. We did not want something with a lot of bells and whistles, but did expect that it would work without babysitting it.

• St
    Stan Rysz Oct 12, 2015

No matter the type of articles, the weight of the articles or how carefully it is loaded (and reloaded mid cycle) it runs out of balance and must be reloaded constantly. Pain in the buttox.It has always done this since we purchased it.

• Mj
    mjg263 Nov 15, 2015

Wow, I guess I got a good set too! I bought matching Performa washer and gas dryer set back in 2005 (branded as Amana but they are obviously Maytag Performa machines) and they've been nothing but reliable and wonderful. I've got them both leveled on the concrete basement floor and they don't budge or make any noise, been running for 10 years without so much as a hiccup. Probably shouldn't tempt fate but they are every bit as reliable as my old A-606 washer and DG-606 dryer that I used to have.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices