Maytag / French Door Refrigeratorproblems with the ice maker!

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Updated by Wp2008 · Feb 27, 2013

Hello lbedell. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard.com), your user ID name (lbedell), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, your ticket number (34374), and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 08, 2013

Hello alnappier. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have endured regarding your refrigerator. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at [email protected] and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39710). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

• Maytag's response · Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

• Ba
    Barbara Stepaniuk Jul 15, 2007

I wrote before, but I too would like to know if anyone has a solution to this problem? It sounds like altho mine finally got fixed, it's only a matter of time before it goes again. The only solution I see is for Maytag to reimburse me for the WHOLE cost of the D__M thing and then when it goes, I go out and buy a LG. Or a GE. I won't even charge them for my inconvenience or the spoiled food I had. Think they'll go for that idea? Any others?

Chris Sorensen Jul 15, 2007

Click... Click... Click ... Mine started last night. Ice has always been in hunks. Had to have the door switch replace already.

Bought a Maytag to replace a Whirlpool. Next day I heard Whirlpool had bought Maytag. I was afraid I'd get the same "great service". You know something is up when they bombard you with the extended service offers.

Thanks for all the info, looks like I'll be in line for parts.

• Ed
    Eddie Jul 14, 2007

All i can say is that am glad i am not the only one faced with this. I wish i kept my 10 year old fridge that i sold for $50 at a garage sale.

• Cr
    Cristin Connor Jul 14, 2007

Wow! I am soooo happy to find all of you. I tried getting some ice and water out of my 17 month old Ice2O about 30 minutes ago and nothing came out. I played around the buttons and then looked through the troubleshooting guide. Nothing! Then my fridge starting flipping out with blinking lights and that wonderful sound of the ice dispenser flapping! I managed to get it to stop for a while. I decided to surf the internet for advice and it has started up again!! Thanks for your feedback, I am glad I am not the only one! This fridge needs to be recalled! I have a dishwasher and Gemni Stove and haven't had any problems with them. Wish me luck!

• Ba
    Barbara Stepaniuk Jul 14, 2007

I too bought the Ice 2 0. Not the worst Maytag I ever bought! I also bought a Maytag dishwasher, lemon, and Gemeni stove, another lemon!! The dishes come out dirtier than when I put them in and the stove smelled like gas from day one!! The refrig did the same flapping for 2 weeks. I finally put a rag in the opening so the dogs wouldn't keep barking at the noise all day and night. I have a husband who needs insulin. It has to be kept cold. For 2 weeks I had to keep making ice in my other freezer. What a mess. I got "PRIORITY" service!!! "PRIORITY" my butt!!! I can't even begin to tell you all the food and the cost of everything I had to throw out. Where is my compensation for that? I only have the 3 Maytag appliances and believe me I will NEVER get another one. Or a Whirlpool, now!! I'm telling everyone I know. I want that little "idle" man, sitting there fixing stuffed toys and computers, over to my house. I have plenty for him to do!

David Holdaway Jul 14, 2007

We wrote in 36 days ago and we finally have our refrigerator working again. It took so long to get the five parts we needed. I still think we have a lemon, but thankfully we still have it under the extended warranty for a couple more years. Will let you know if there are more problems.

Caryn Stephenson Jul 14, 2007

P.S. James, do you work for Maytag or something? Yes all electronics have their problems, but usually not so quickly after purchase, and Maytag's help on the problem appears to be on the negative of the 0-10 scale. I understand things happen as well, but when they do, customer no-service doesn't do anyone any good, as I personally will never buy Maytag again. And I have two giant front-loader washer/dryer from them. Sorry, I don't thank them for anything except a giant headache and hundreds of dollars in additional cost to an already expensive product.

Caryn Stephenson Jul 14, 2007

Well well well. In the 12 days since my last post, I have replaced the LV board (behind the icemaker) but still the flashing, etc. Ordered the High Voltage Control Board for my Maytag MFI2568AEQ (I know it by heart I'm sorry to say) from Marcone. Called the next day, they said Maytag has them back ordered till August. I said I can't believe I have to deal with this another month with 5 kids. She put me on hold, came back and said she found one in their St Louis warehouse and would ship it out same day. I said I'll pay to overnight it. Sure enough, it came last night and DH and I (not at all mechanically inclined) put it in the back of the fridge and ta daaaaaaaa! Cooling begins, no flashing, no flapping, ice maker and water going fine... thank you Lori at Marcone! One note of caution for you self installers, you have to program the board once you install it by following the directions that are included. (Or look under, yes under, your fridge) If you don't, it will flash PEO OOO incessantly and not hold temp. Programming is easy but when pressing the proper buttons, don't hold them down for long periods unless it says to, like the freezer "-" key for 3 seconds. If you hold the other buttons down for three seconds or whatever, nothing happens. This is an easy fix for ANYONE. My 7 year old could figure this one out. Part Number at Marcone is #[protected] HV Control Board price 149.99 plus sales tax and 24.90 overnight shipping. Standard shipping is 6.95. My total was 185.39, far less than A&E were suggesting, not to mention time without a fridge. I plan to call Maytag first thing Monday morning to ask for reimbursement after reading the other posts. Still, I worry about it going out again, am keeping the old board to simply replace the capacitors (any tv repair guy would do it) if it ever happens again. I can't believe I know my fridge so well and what an HV board is, but I'm thrilled it's working. Also, applianceguru.com is a GREAT site for help on replacing the capacitors only. Thanks to everyone for posting, it was a tremendous help and I appreciate it so much. Now I just have to take 5 kids grocery shopping for the biggest trip ever! :)

James Jul 13, 2007

All mechanical and electronic appliances do fail and thus far That is why whirlpool has their warranty... I understand things do happen and thank maytag for them being able to help anyone with this problem to the best of their capabilities.

James Jul 13, 2007

All mechanical and electronic appliances due fail and thus far hat is why whirlpool has there warranty... I understand things do happen and thank maytag for them being able to help anyone with this problem so the best of there capabilities.

Steve Black Jul 10, 2007

I was fortunate enough to be awaken last night by a slamming sound coming from my kitchen. After finding the front panel flashing like the dash on the space shuttle, I found this bulletin board. I want to thank everyone for posting as I didn't feel so alone at 1:00 am shuttling food from the refrigerator to the other refrigerator in the garage. We did call Maytag first thing this morning and, while they didn't admit this was a wide-spread problem, they did say that they would fix the problem at no cost to us. (Even though we are one month removed from the warranty.) The only inconvenience is that they can't get someone out for one week. I guess that the image of the Maytag repairman just sitting around isn't necessarily the case right now with this problem.

J L Patrick Jul 09, 2007

We have had the same problem all are posting. See my post 9 days ago. Call the Maytag service number listed in your book. Tell them your problem you are having. They are fully aware of this problem with the ice20. They repaired ours, which was 4 months out of warranty, at no cost to us.

The only problem we experienced was the down time. We were frustrated, but we made it.

• Al
    Alison Jul 08, 2007

I bought my Ice2O March of 2006. This morning we came downstairs to hear a strange clicking noise and the ice flap is going crazy. The lights are flashing and the ice and water don't work. Since it is Sunday, no one is open, so I scheduled service on Maytag's website. No one can come until Wednesday. We figured that we could live without the ice and water for a few days, until tonight - when the 'temp alarm' starting going off saying that the fridge temp was 56! We had to throw out as much as possible to fit things in the fridge in the garage (which is a five year old GE that has never had a problem!!!) Now I have no fridge and five kids, it's summer - so they are all home - and I find out that a ton of other people have the same problem and Maytag doesn't seem to care.

• Pa
    Pat Vernier Jul 08, 2007

The front panel on our 15-month-old Maytag Ice20 just started blinking and the ice chute cover flapping this evening - how annoying. We had problems with the ice maker shortly after we purchased the unit and that was taken care of fairly promptly.

However, after reading through all of these posts, I don't think this problem will be taken care of as quickly. Unfortunately my husband or I are not electronically-inclined to be able to attempt to fix it ourselves, so we're at the mercy of the repair people.

I'll never buy another Maytag product either - at least not a refrigerator! Plus in the store it looked like it was going to have all sorts of room in it - not so in real life. We're very unhappy with the blinking, flapping unit!

Steve Beck Jul 07, 2007

For those who can solder want to try this themselves, Radio Shack part numbers are: 272-1032 - 1000uF Electrolytic Capacitor (2 wires come out one end) for $1.59 and 272-1030 470uF Electrolytic Capacitor (2 wires come out one end) for $1.29. If you don't have any desoldering aids, you might also want to pick up a Desoldering bulb P/N 64-2086 which acts like a mini vacuum to remove the old solder as you remove the failed components. I can't see a way to post the pics I took so I may have to put these up on a web site someplace. Go get your parts and stay tuned...

• Ni
    Nick DeNapoli Jul 07, 2007

Maytag seems to be covering up the problems with the French Door Ice 2-0 Refrigerator. I have had all of the symptoms mentioned in the above complaints: flapping of ice door; lights blinking; items freezing up in the refrig; loss of cooling; several visits from service techs who seem baffled by the problems; Replacement of the control boards several times; waiting for service within windows of 8 & 9 hour time frames; Waiting for parts to arrive; Unfortunately a new problem has occurred: The WATER DISPENSER ACTIVATES AND RUNS ON ITS OWN & WILL NOT SHUT OFF unless the water is shut off leading to the refrig. Luckily I was in the room when it happened, but if it occurs when I am gone, I can imagine the damage to our house. IT IS A NIGHTMARE waiting to happen! I think we need a class action law suit against the company. Maytg pretends they have never before heard of the problems mentioned by scores of dissatisfied owners. Now that we have so much money invested in the "Edsel" of Refrigerators, we seem to be stuck with seemlessly endless problems and no solutions. UNHAPPY OWNERS OF THE ICE 2-0: Let's bombard the company with complaints & letters, calls, emails; contact consumer protection groups; find a law firm that will have the guts to take this matter to court - whatever it takes for the company correct the terrible engineering design they have created.

Steve Beck Jul 05, 2007

I experienced the same Maytag Ice2o model MFI2568AES lights flashing, flapper noise others have described last night at 3am. Mine had just started the crazies but only when the compressor ran, so it still stayed cool.

I researched the problem and found a possible solution from the Samurai Appliance Repair Man at http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=13035&forum_id=1&jump_to=75815

Not 100% sure if that was the issue, I called the local repair firm. I was quoted $130+tax for a service call + parts + tax. If it was the part from the SARM article, if available, was listed online for $150 so I a total $300+ bill had me willing to give this a try.

Today, I got the parts, installed them, and the problems are gone, fridge is cold. And I'm not an appliance repair person.

The repair can be done by anyone who has a small (~25 watt) pencil tip soldering iron and might have assembled an electronic kit (like Heathkit or Velleman) meaning you can un-solder and solder some parts, and not afraid to take something carefully apart and put it back together without any parts left over.

Presuming it's the same issue with the power supply filter capacitors and nothing else is fried on the HV Control Board, you'll need about $5 -25 in replacement parts and supplies from your local Radio Shack who still stocks replacement electronic parts (you need 2 capacitors minimum, plus soldering supplies if you don't have them). I figured I could risk $5 on parts to possibly save a $300 repair bill. And they were going to need to replace the board anyway, so...

If anyone is interested, I can send a description and parts list. Just send me an email through this message board. I'll include pics of what I did to help you do it too.

• Ju
    Juanell Mizzell Jul 03, 2007

For almost 2 weeks all we've heard is that stupid flapping noise and clicking. When I bought this H2 dud it was for the kitchen of my dreams. Man what a nightmare!!! I also purchased an extended warranty from Sears. May be they will get it fixed by July 2009 when the service contract runs out. It has already taken 2 weeks to get a service man out here. Guess it will be another month or more waiting for a part. If I had this to do over I certainly WOULD NOT buy anything Maytag. I'm all for a class action suit.

Caryn Stephenson Jul 01, 2007

This is outrageous! It is unbelievable that such an expensive fridge is a hunk of junk. Bought ours in Mar06, installed Aug06, but of course they won't honor any warranty when it's been working for less than a year. Friday it was fine, Saturday morning the lights began, the flapping--it's horrible. We stuffed a towel up there to stop the noise for sleeping, but we've thrown out our food as it is no longer cold. Four kids and we are using their dorm-style fridge to get by. This is clearly a flawed line of refrigerator and ought to be recalled. The new ads make me so mad! No cool importance meant nothing to the Maytag rep. Plus, our area is serviced Tues and Thurs but they are not coming till at least July 9. The rep said this was an isolated incident. I intend to print these comments and fax them to her and say this is what you would call isolated? I'm just sick about the whole thing. Never never never maytag again. The flapping and light show continues...

J L Patrick Jun 30, 2007

A&E installed at the HV board in my refrigerator this morning. After the tech programmed the board the thing works like a charm. I observed all this installation and saw that it is nothing to it. If you have to anyone can install it and the programming instructions come with the part. They are also in a plastic bag tapped to the bottom of the refrigerator. I am so glad the flashing lights and the sound of the ice door flapper has disappeared.

My refrigerator is 4 months out of warranty but Whirlpool paid for the repair. It just took 7 days to get a simple circuit board installed.

• De
    Debbie Ouellette Jun 30, 2007

Add us to the list of unsatisfied owners of the maytag monster fridge. We bought ours a year ago and within weeks the icemaker quit working. It took three weeks to get a repair guy to come fix it. Every time I put produce in the drawers they freeze. I thought what a perfect little shelf by the icemaker to put cartons of eggs, Sure if you like them frozen. Now a year and one month after purchase we too have blinking lights, ice door flapping, freezer shut down, no ice or water in the door. It took two weeks this time to get the repair guy to come. We waited another week for a new circulating fan and door. But on the day it was going to be fixed the repair mans truck blew the transmission, so my husband met him in the middle of the road somewhere to transport the new refrigerator door. The guy showed up hours later just to tell us we need a new computer board, two more weeks with out a fridge. We have the extended warranty, other wise it would have cost over 1000.00 in parts and labor according to our repair guy. He also said he's never heard of a refrigerator doing these things before. Now my husband wants to go buy a new smaller fridge to keep in the garage as our emergency back up. We paid 2,500.00 for our monster plus 99.00 for the extended warranty. It is suppose to cover 250.00 in food loss if your fridge breaks down. I’ll try to keep you posted on how that goes. No sense food shopping when there is no place to put it.

J L Patrick Jun 28, 2007

Update on my post 4 days ago. Parts on back order and don't know when Maytag will get. Let you know what follows.

• Ka
    Kathy Lyles Jun 28, 2007

Wish I had known some of this info before I purchased my Ice2O Maytag 8 months ago. Thankfully we haven't experienced all the flashing lights that some of you talk about, but I consider all your comments a real heads up!! We have a slightly different problem, actually two. Our ice dispenser throws ice cubes everywhere except in the glass and they come out in "herds" all over the floor! Additionally, we cannot keep anything on the upper shelf next to the icemaker unit unless we want it FROZEN. It freezes, tea, juice, yogurt, EVERYTHING. Two service calls have not fixed the problem. Today the Maytag phone rep asked if I had thought about not keeping anything near the little vent on the icemaker. Well DUH!!! I'm sure glad I called her! I feel so ripped off! For $2400 I should be able to store food ANYWHERE in fridge without it freezing, and I don't think we should have to pick up ice cubes off the floor!!! It doesn't make enough as it is, without half of them be wasted. Wonder what the NEXT repair person will say on July 3!!!

• Br
    Brian Jun 28, 2007

My Maytag refrigerator Model # MFI2568AES front panel lights began flashing and the ice maker door started opening and closing every couple seconds (very annoying). I called Maytag and of course my warranty expired by 10 days.

I described the symptoms and they said they never heard of the problem happening anywhere else. Then they told me the price of someone coming out to fix it. So I dusted off my tools and got to work myself.

What I found was a faulty control board. I took the control board out and found two faulty 68O microfarad capacitors. They are $1.50 a piece (much better than the $150 for the board, plus $65.00 house visit fee, and labor cost). It is running fine now ( for now ).

David Holdaway Jun 27, 2007

I wrote in almost 3 weeks ago and our refrigerator is still not repaired. We are still waiting on parts and they don't expect to get them all for another week. I would advise anyone not to buy this refrigerator. I know I'll never buy another Maytag product.

• Mi
    Michael Sargent Jun 25, 2007

Having same problem with blinking lights / flapping door. Found this article with a fix: http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=13035&forum_id=1&jump_to=75815

Dan Jun 24, 2007

Since Saturday I have the blinking lights, ice door flap, What will fix the problem? What part do I need to ask for. Has anyone got their money back?

J L Patrick Jun 24, 2007

We are having the very same problem with our ice20 Maytage refrigerator. All the lights are blinking ice door flap popping , no ice making, not water dispensing and the temp in the fridge and the freezer is off. We purchased in 2006. It is a few months out of warranty. I haven't contacted my dealer with problem since this happened on Saturday evening (dealer closed). I will contact on Monday . I will post what happens. I am interested in what the fix is!

• Wa
    Wanda Patterson Jun 23, 2007

Well, my new Ice2O was a gift from my mother-in-law who works for Maytag in Ohio. It was free, so I figured why not take it. Oh my God! The ice maker only worked for 3 days!! I have 2 teenagers and an 11 year old! I NEED an ice maker! I've called everywhere to have a service man come out. I can't find anyone who will work on the piece of junk! I have been breaking ice cube trays for 2 months now! I think I will go buy a GE and donate this one to charity! No, I would give it to anyone, I'll trash it!!

• Br
    BRAD FOLLIS Jun 21, 2007

Same problem with my ice o2 as with others , flashing lights ,no cooling, ice door flaps, someone post the fix please & the part #

• Ka
    Kathy Huffman Jun 20, 2007

I just had the new French door Maytag delivered yesterday from Home Depot. It pops & makes the loudest noises you ever heard!! I thought something was wrong with it, but according to the book it says this is all normal. My old GE was very quiet. I always thought Maytag was the best, but now I am really getting concerned after spending $2500 & reading all this negatives on it.

• Ge
    gerard odulio Jun 20, 2007

I have the same lights flashing and ice door popping opening and closing. it just happened a week ago. VERY ANNOYING! isn't weird that this happens exactly a year after warranty runs out. how do we go about going thru with a class action lawsuit? Do we need to get a lawyer? I have some friends.

• De
    Dennis Jun 18, 2007

My Maytag Model # MFI2568AES just begin to make the same flapping noise flashing electronic panel yesterday which is 11 month after the purchase. I wish that I had read the comments from others before making my purchase. What is not clear is the causes and the fixes. There is no water flow or ice making even though there is water coming from outside through the tube. Did anyone ask the serviceman how it is fixed? It looks like this issue is wide spread and I wonder why it is not in Maytag troubleshooting web page. This issue deserves a class action.

• So
    SonyaKall Jun 18, 2007

Hi there!

Been on the phone with Maytag AND their service affiliate as we also bought the extended warranty. Absolute S..T! The ice maker went during the initial year (Purchased from Home Depot 3/06) The initial delivery date was also not honored and had to wait over a week for the delivery. We had already gotten rid of our other refrigerator so had no fridge. Have 2 toddlers at home and after screaming at home depot they agreed to loan us a small fridge for the week and 1/2. Then 2 months after we got it... the same ice problem you all describe. Still covered under warranty during the initial year and they came and fixed that. Now we're into extended warranty time and water is all over my kitchen and the basement as the filter clogged and never emitted the "replace Filter" light. I changed the filter on my own and submitted the claim. Turns out the service company said the little lights were not covered so had they come out I would have had to pay the service charge!! Now
    since friday I have the blinking lights, ice door flap, and the
    temp in the fridge and freezer is off. As it's a "NO COOL" issue, I was told the order would be expedited. Been on the phone all weekend and still nothing. One maytag "dependability" warranty rep even called their service company directly on my behalf AND THEY TOLD HER NO COOLING WAS NOT A PRIORITY ISSUE!!! WELL WHAT THE HECK IS? I have 2 kids and 90 degree weather here and no fridge or freezer!! Waiting to see if the "DEPENDABILITY" rep will be able to expedite my service.

• Be
    Beni DAgostino Jun 17, 2007

Finally fixed, the icemaker was allowing too much water in the tray causing the ice to build up, they adjusted the water flow and has been working now since my last post about 25 days now, perfect ice making capability, and perfect dispensing for now.

• Ro
    robert pirana Jun 17, 2007

Same flopping problem, the biggest peace of garbage refrigerator.

• Me
    Melissa Varley Jun 17, 2007

We are having the EXACT problem... with ours. I'm so ill. Did anyone get any resolution?

• Te
    Terry Thompson Jun 16, 2007

I wish I knew about these problems before I bought this. I just thought the ice make not keeping up or dispensing ice very slowly and then at times making huge chunks of ice that won't break up was normal for this unit. Now, 12 months and 1 week after purchase the same thing is happening to my until, the lights are all flashing and the ice door is opening and closing all the time. Has anyone found a fix yet? Home Depot said this was the latest and greatest, now I'm wishing I never walked in their door.

Jackie Manfredi Jun 15, 2007

Said to say, but I am too one of these people fooled by false advertisement on this Maytag product. I have had this refrigerator for about 3 months before I had my first problem with the stupid ice maker. Stopped making ice for about 4 days. Called a few service companies, most of them said they will not cover the warranty we didn't purchase the product from them. So when I finally got someone to come look at it, they never showed up! Ice machine started working again on its own for about 4 months. We are now going through the same thing again. Ice is ALL stuck together in the back of the maker. I HATE this refrigerator! It looked to good to be true for it to really work. LOL.

• Ro
    Ron Kadan Jun 13, 2007

Well, this all clinched our decision not to buy this, or any Maytag product. Fortunately our local Home Depot appliance person, told us not to get this refrigerator due to the continual problems. We have a coupon from a class action against the Maytag Neptune Washer and am afraid to use it!