Having problems with Macy's?

+1 800 289 6229 (United States)
+1 513 573 7912 (International)
+1 888 257 6757 (Credit Customer Service)
+1 888 822 6229 (Furniture and Mattress Customer Service)
+1 800 568 8865 (Wedding and Gift Registry)
685 Market St., 10th Fl.
Sat24h
Sun24h

Complaints & Reviews

false advertising

On their website, they advertise a perfume set for $55 and say it's available in their store. When I...

nightmare return

I ordered a Fossil purse on December 26, 2008. I had a coupone for 15% off purses, excluding certain brands, which would be only 10% off. FOSSIL was NOT listed as one of the exclusions. I read the fine print very carefully.

First, I was only given the 10%. I didn't complain. My theory is that if a company can't handle something that simple, a complaint will only be handled badly. I was right.

After paying $20 to have it shipped to me via UPS, a package arrived on January 7, 2008. The Postal Service would have had to me sooner and at a better price. The invoice in the package was for my purse, but the package acually held an ugly, cheap little brown sweater.

I called Macy's.com and was told to repackage the item and wait for UPS to come and pick it up. At that point the purse that I ordered (and paid for) was not longer available on the website, which is another red flag. I was told to wait and see what Macy's.com send me next time and start the process all over again if it's wrong.

It's January 12 and UPS has not shown up. The Christmas rush is long over, folks. There's no excuse for this. I emailed Macy's.com since they have my money and I'd like to be updated on what's going on with my purchase. I was emailed back that Macys will ship my merchandise as soon as they receive the incorrect item from UPS.

I think that since I have generously allowed Macy's to use my money for all of this time, combined with the fact that the purse I've paid for is much more expensive than the nasty little clearance sweater, Macy's should just ship my purse to me and have the UPS take the sweater when they deliver my purse.

poor place to work

I was fired because of my clothing all i was told was to wear black and I did the girl that I was working...

[Resolved] mattress is sagging/we have insurance

I purchased a stearns and foster mattress in aug. 07. the first mattress delivered was torn, the 2nd mattre...

late fees

To reduce the amount of mail, I signed up for electronic statements. I have not made a purchase for some time now therefore I am paying on an outstanding balance that really should not be increasing.

This evening I went on line to pay my bill and it was at this time I noticed the payment date had changed and the last payment I made, that I paid in person and thought was on time, was recorded as late, resulting in an additional $29.00 late fee. Unbeknownest to me, Macy's changed my payment date from the 5th to the 3rd. As a result any payments I made on the fourth and fifth have resulted in additional late charges. They raised their late payments fee from $25.00 to $29.00. What are the components of this late fee? In my case, they no longer have to mail out a statement, saves on costs of paper, saves on costs of envelopes, saves on costs of postage and most importantly, manpower.

When you contact Macy's, the individual you speak with is from a foreign country with of course an American name, who you can't understand and when you finally get to speak to someone, you can somewhat understand, to inquire about removing the late fee, they do not take into consideration your strong record of paying your bill monthly and on time, so you thought, and the fact that you pay more than the minimum amount. They refuse to work with you.

The payment I made last month, which was more than the minimum amount, is now covering the late payment for this month and last's month and some of the balance. I am paying nothing on my balance. When I attempted to run a report of all my payments I must have some special software to download the information therefore prohibiting me from accessing this information to audit thier records.

Who do you turn to in order to get this snowball effect to cease? With today's economy people can't afford to be paying late fees on top of late fees. Macy's should do the right thing and waive the late fees if the payment is received with in 10 days of the payment date.

I am switching back to paper statements. I bet my payment date changes again.

• Su
    Susan de Jong Feb 18, 2016

I have has the same problem but with paper bills. Here in Canada we always recieve the statements late and then it takes 5 days for the bank to arrange payment. We also have received late fees on top of late fees. We are cancelling our cards this week. We have spent too much money at Macy's without actually buying anything

[Resolved] defective couch

On February 9th, 2006 I purchased a new couch from Macy Furniture Store, 4130 Gandy Blvd, Tampa, Fl 33611. It...

declined check

After shopping at Macy's for years, I had a check declined yesterday when attempting to purchase 150.00 worth of merchandise. I called the credit department after my check was declined at the register and the person who works for the credit department could not provide me with a sound reason other than the fact that "checks pose a risk". I have over $5000.00 in my checking account, get about 5 credit card applications every week and have excellent credit history.

Guess what Macy's...I'm cut up my credit card yesterday and will never shop there again. Oh, by the way, I went to Lord and Taylor's and spent $450.00 there.

Merry Christmas Macy's. You SUCK!

sales service

I just though maybe the sales girls at the perfume counter could have handled a certain situation with a...

wrongful credit card late charges

I signed up for a Macy’s card several months ago, after getting tired of the sales people kept suggesting it to me week after week. Yes, I shop at Macy’s almost every weekend and spend thousands of dollars there.

I get my first bill and there is some type of insurance fee on it. I called them promptly and cancel the “policy”. Then I get my regular bill, which I pay every month on time. Long story short, come to find out, they were sending me two separate bills – one for the Macy’s department store and one for the Visa card. Um, would anyone care to let me know about that when I received my card in the mail???

All along, I have been paying every month to my account. But it was posted to the department store portion and not the Visa portion. I kept wondering why am I getting another bill with late charges??? I called customer service and the rep said he would transfer the amount over from the department store account to the Visa account. I told him to close the card because I don’t need their credit card. I don’t live on credit. He then said, well then I need to pay the balance and that he won’t transfer the amount over anymore. I would need to wait weeks for them to cut me a check for the department store account and in the meantime pay them on the Visa account or I get more late fee charges. What the heck???? That’s customer service for you. What an asinine way of pleasing their most loyal customer!

I love shopping at Macy’s but because of their nickel and diming the consumer policy; I’d hate to but resolve to shop at their competitors, JC Penny, Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdales, and the like. But I will boycott Macy’s just for principle!

Laurie Dec 12, 2008

Its it Macy's or GE Money Bank?

GEMB handles most of the retail store credit accounts and they have some major processing problems. They deliberately post payments late, change your address so you stop receiving statements etc.

they never respond to customer complaints - they just lie and claim you are wrong.

you MUST file complaints with the Federal Trade Commisssion and Office of Thrift Supervision. You have to file with BOTH AGENCIES.

Otherwise it will never be fixed

• Ru
    Ruth Brauchler Feb 27, 2009

Our CU sent an electronic payment on the 13th of February for a bill due by the 15th (Sunday) which was posted to my account on Monday the 16th. A charge of $25 was added to our fifty dollar bill for it was late.

Facts:
    1 Macys states payments received by 5pm are posted that day.
    2 The CU sends electronic payments in the early am.

I called the "customer service" and was told they would reverse the charge as soon as s/he talkked with their supervisor. The answer came back that they could only remove $10. I lost it, stating forget it I will pay the whole amount BUT close this account.

denied check

My check was denied for no reason because the money was in my bank account. I can be contacted at the above or at [protected]@yahoo.com

Laurie Dec 10, 2008

Sounds like GE MONEY not Macy's that did this.

They do it to pad the bills with late fees and interest.

File complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Office of Thrift Supervision

• Ni
    nina Jan 26, 2009

Probably the check verification company, not Macy's. Company like Certergy, SCAN, Telecheck, etc..if you've ever bounced a check with any company that uses one of those check verification companies you wont be able to pay with a check. ... just a thought..it's happened to me in the past.

• Jr
    JRSW Aug 15, 2009

I feel your pain. Have you gone back there? The same thing happened to me yesterday. My bank verified that I had more than enough funds to cover my check and Telecheck (which they use here at the Orlando, Florida location of Macy's that I went to) verified that I have check writing privileges with no negative hits on me. I left without the products that I was wanting to purchase and returned to work. Called their administrative/management office in their location (called 4 times) with no return call. I am in business for myself and would NEVER let a customer out of the door without getting to the bottom of such a problem. Personally they lost my business and I ended up purchasing the products and then some with another company (these were Origins products).

• My
    MysteryStories Feb 10, 2011

I can tell you that as an associate, this happens frequently but it can be associate error, but infrequently is it. We are supposed to verify someone's identity and sometimes we miss letters in the driver's license number. That can cause the problem.

unbelievably poor return process

I've recently made a few purchases from Macy's via their online service. As I'd shopped with them in the past, I did not anticipate any problems at all. How WRONG I was!! On the 1st order, I returned most of it and it took me 2 weeks of submitting several online customer service complaints from their website. They told me that they'd never received the items (until I gave them the tracking #'s). Then I was told that the items came from 2 different warehouses, and they claimed this was a "problem". I did not receive a refund until I submitted to them that, if this situation was not corrected in 3 days, I'd file with my bank and refute the charges. Surprise surprise...then I received an apology, the refund and, as Macy's cares so much about me as a customer (gag me!) was offered a 20% discount off of my next order. So I ordered something inexpensive and when I put the 20% offer code in, I was informed that the promotion code was "inaccurate" (shocker). Don't ever shop here unless you are totally happy with items you purchase as their customer service is completely absent, and the people you speak with are just plain rude and don't seem to care. I am still working on the other 2 orders to return.

Maxine E. Rollins Jun 03, 2016

I recieved a gift card for Macy's last Christmas and none of the stores in my aera will accept it because they cannot find out how much it is for. I called the number on the card to get cut off before I can enter the card number. I cannot bring the web site up on my computer. All I get is "There is 0 information for this site. How do I find out how much my card is worth? How do I find a store that will take it?

The card numbers are: msholsbo7---664000072178531----905

Maxine E. Rollins

• Na
    Nancy M. Bargar Jun 03, 2016

I had recieved a earing and neckless set for my birthday from my son and his wife. It was a really nice set from the liz claiborne line, I did not keep the gift reciept because I was not going to return it because I really liked the set. Also on the back of the earing it stated it was from Macy's. When I went to put on the earing it broke off in my hand, well I went back to Macy's and the store manager would only give me $10.00 cash for the earing and did not offer to get it fixed or reimburse me if I did. I am really upset about this situation I was a very loyal customer of Macy's but not anymore I cut up my Macy's card and will never shop in that store again and I will let all my friends know about this as well. I am from Marland the Macy's store is in Marley Station Mall. The people who waited on me were not helpful at all. I am really turned off by the whole situation.

macys card

well i applied for a macys card and i got one that says macys reward card.but when i used it the friest time i had no idea i only had a limit of 100.00 and i had no bill but was charged 80.00 for my frist purchase .and i paid on line 25.00 when i came home and when i went to the store again i didnt know 100.00 was my credit limit so i had to leave all of my x-mas presents there cause i didnt have enough cash to pay it and i could not charge it so i returned the card there and than macys is a big exspensevise reoff store and they should go out of buisness.they are rude and very exspensive. i went to walmart and for the same things i had from macys and was charged 4 times more i paid half of that. macys you people are rippnig poor people off and you are all upnose and i am a local a hawaiian and you are to me white trash that dont belong on this hawaiian islands go back to the mainland trash.

andreajb1420 Jan 02, 2011

walmart is for poor people macys is for rich people hence the name brands such as coach, juicy, perry ellis, guess, dkny so think before you speak lol

leather sectional

I just bought a brown leather sectional and to our complete dismay it just didn't fit in the room...

high interest rates

I have a Macys credit card, which I use only occasionally. I went shopping there yesterday, over the...

misleading

Whoever came up with the $10.00 off every $25.00 for Macy's with the fine print "does not apply to morning specials" should be ashamed of him- or herself. This coupon was made available on 11/26/08 and 11/27/08. I am a long-time customer and have always looked forward to deals like this to shop at Macy's. On this Black Friday, I was at South Coast Plaza's Macy's and have seen so many customers disappointed and felt cheated because their coupons were not honored. If many of the shoppers had read the fine print, they would know that the coupons are really worthless since most items in the store were morning specials, and probably would not have even bothered going to Macy's. Maybe this is Macy's plan, to lure customers into their stores, but I think Macy's has lost many customers this past week. It's stupid advertising, especially during an economy crisis like the one now, when there are so many people looking forward to deals who came with great disappointment. It is just too sad.

Janet Nov 30, 2008

The writer of the complaint about the $10 off $25 purchases coupons was right on the mark. I was going to make the exact same comments. I went to the Mission Valley store intending to do a lot of Christmas shopping in addition to whatever bargains I could get with my coupons, but was so disgusted (as were many other people trying to use the coupons), that I left the store vowing not to return. Furthermore, I intend to tell all of my friends and relatives about this deceptive practice. Macy's you have lost a long time customer.

• Ho
    honest Feb 20, 2009

MAYBE you people should READ your coupon! and not just assume. you know what you do when you A-S-S-U-M-E?? most any coupon has limitations on them, juast as any previous macy's coupon... check the back

• Ic
    ICanRead Nov 27, 2009

I can't believe these people don't read their coupons. It's not Macy's fault, it's their own.

• My
    MysteryStories Feb 12, 2011

READ the darn coupons. People are just soo stupid.

unapproved charges

I applied for a Macy's credit card in-store and did not receive my first month's statement. On my second month's statement, I had a late fee and a charge for "credit protection" service in which I never enrolled. When I called, they took off the late fee, but wanted to charge me to pay by phone. When I refused to pay that charge, they did waive it, but I had to be assertive. The worst thing was the credit protection scam. They had charged me for two months' worth, saying I signed up for a 30 day trial when I applied. Well, that's not true. I had the clerk do the application for me and I just showed my ID and other credit card. I never enroll in those stupid programs, so I know I didn't authorize it and I remember her asking me about it. However, they said I was past the trial and had to pay anyway. I was charged $12 over two months for an unauthorized enrollment in this program. The only recourse I had was to have them send me proof of my enrollment, which I'm still waiting on.

The solution -- don't get a Macy's card and MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENT to contest the crap they try to pile on!

Laurie Nov 21, 2008

Is the Macy's credit card handled by GE Money Bank?

IF yes - it GE Money tacking on the extra charges - they like to pad their bills as much as possible. They are also lowering everyones credit limit to only $100.00 just before Christmas.

I'm sure the stores that have GE Money handling their credit accounts are not aware of this and those stores are counting on these customers to come in and shop - but can't now because of GE Money.
    JC Penney, Belks, Lowes, Old Navy, Banana Republic among others are going to have a very bad Christmas season this because of GE Money.

mailed ads and extra 20% off coupon

To Whom it may concern, Last week I received two advertisements in the mail, one advertising a sale on a...

product charges and fees

Well, I thought it would be a good idea to get a card from Macy's after all they were offering a huge percentage off of my purchase. Let me tell you it was a rip off! The people that work for there card company are either incompetent or they just like to mke ridicules charges in order to swindle people out of money. After giving the correct address for my account I had not received a bill and then finally it came in the mail forwarded from a very old address and was the final notice on the account from a $46 dollar charge to now over one hundered dollars from late charges. I called to complain and they said there was nothing I could do but pay the charges. Needless to say I paid off the charges and then a few months went by and I went back to macy's and made some purchase. The same thing happened I noticed to another person I noticed they charged the macy's card instead of charging the credit card I gave them, the only reason I wanted use the card was for the discount (which after 20 minutes they finally found out that I still had the wrong address on my account). When I recieved the next bill they were charging a reasonable amount and I thought nothing of it but now they are charging me exessive fees and if you are not but a day late on your payment they charge you $25.00 dollars in late fees and there customer service # is worthless for working out what went wrong with your charges. Sorry so long winded but I guess the moral of the story is the discounts on the credit cards at Macy's are to bring down the prices on their overpriced merchandise and they are generally not worth getting.

• Dr
    dr1045 Oct 16, 2008

I don't understand people. Why would you ever continue purchasing from a company if they ripped off the first time. If people would stop buying from them then they would stop ripping people off but as long as you keep going back why should they change. Wake up and be smart. If you get ripped of quit going back. The consumer only has purchasing power. The legal system is not made for the average person and is no way just or fair anymore. The only way to stop companies is to stop buying from them and you need to get as many of your frinds to stop buying from them too. This is the only hope consumers have to stop company misconduct.

• Do
    Donna Alexander Oct 29, 2008

I will never shop Macy's again. I think there is a lass action suit here. I do not advocate attorneys or law suits in general. However, I have had it with corp relying on me not scrutinizing my bill each month and then adding extra charges. They told me I should have looked at the electronic signiature pad to see this extra charge. Do you read anything more than the total and where you sign? I will from now on. I am pissed.

annA Feb 14, 2009

hello macy can u give me a free card please.

Madhu Apr 09, 2009

Can we all get together and file a case or something..?? I had a very very good credit score and I worked hard to keep it that way. Macy's ruined everything in a month. Now I don't even get a credit card accepted now...I am planning on buying a new car and I am worried !! I opened a Macy's account for some discount of I think $10.00 or less than that...they asked me a credit card during that process and I thought I would be charged to that account. I had to make an international trip for like a month and thought even if the Macy's card comes home..it would have to be activated like any other credit card...it was when I came back, that I realized they applied charges to the macy's card and they charged me all the extra money for late fees etc., etc., I called them and made an instant payment as I was worried about my credit score...after like 2 months, I applied for a credit card. That got rejected and the reason was that I missed paying some outstanding payments. I feel so helpless. Can anyone suggest what I can do? I am very young and I need to buy things on credit in the future. I do not even own a car or house. I work hard and never miss a payment. How long does it take for that to go away from my credit history? Any response will be appreciated.

• Nm
    nmx130 May 15, 2009

In response to Madhu, the reason Macys asks for a credit card during the application process is so they can verify your credit. It does not mean they will charge it on that card. Obviously, if you get a savings by opening up a card with them, its gonna get charged on the new card. Otherwise what would be the point? And you can even pay it off at the register right after. Seriously, that's just common sense.

Not trying to defend Macys. I actually work there and I hate the credit card aspect, but I just had to reply to that.

• Do
    Donnah Sep 28, 2009

Now that Obama will re regulating credit cards be careful! Macy is about to file chapter !! and to get funds are really putting the screws to their account holders!!! If you are one day late on a payment, they are raising your interest to 26.99%, placing your account with collections and hitting you with late fees every month!!!
    I have called them every other day to get this fixed and they do not wanr to hear it!!!
    This is why our country is sinking into financial failure! Consumers cannot afford the double payments and these card companies are raking in the money!

Pay off your Macy card before they raise your interest to cover their own financial issues!!!

• Si
    signol Jul 17, 2011

Macy's card policy is a trap with a serious bite. They'll charge you whatever fee they can at any chance. I had a similar bad experience with them and now stop shopping at those stores.

• Co
    Cody K Mar 21, 2012

This is still going on, as the same things are happening to me right now. Don't use a Macy's card. I thought I paid it off right after I made the purchase, but something didn't go through and then they "had my address wrong" and I didn't hear about it until a few months later. Tried to pay it off again and that didn't go through, so now I'm just going to the store as their customer service line is less than worthless.

anonymous collectior 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Why did you take so long to contact us regarding your billing statement? The post office does not always forward bills and statements... I wish that I took your call... Customers also need to take responsibility for their actions as well.

• Gl
    glenonoka May 12, 2015

They stopped sending me statements and only when the collection company contacted me was I aware. They insisted they emailed me a statement and they go no undeliverable message so they refused to remove the bad mark on my credit report. I have emails from the order being placed, processed and delivered, but no statements.They refused to believe me and said it was my fault. I should have made payments regardless of whether I received a statement or not. It didn't matter that I paid them I full the first time they notified me through their collection agency. Nor did it matter that they could see I have never had a late payment on my credit report. I have been doing business exclusively through them for 30 years, but never again. They are and always will be the only company to ever submit negative credit against me. I have closed my account and I will never buy anything form their store again.

rip off company

Mattress was defective, so they tried to charge me $130 for the return of the box spring + 10% restocking fee...

customer service reps - don't speak english well

Macy's Visa Customer Service reps do not speak or understand English very well; actually... I shouldn't generalize... but the two I spoke to (2 months apart) were damned awful. I believe they are outsourced to India, as many companies do these days.

-Both times I was asked to repeat myself 2 or 3 times through the whole conversation.
-Many times, they asked me to spell out a word and even a numeral more than once. I mean, if I have to spell out the number 2 (two), there is something wrong here! Especially when you are dealing with my money and credit rating.
-Very long and silent pauses between each answer
-In this recent instance, they called me on my cell phone requesting payment information, and when I called back with the information they requested, they couldn't locate my account by my cell phone number! Really? You JUST called me on that number. After 10 minutes on the phone trying to locate my account, he asked me more questions and I just hung up!
-The first time I called, I didn't have my account number in front of me and they also couldn't locate my account, either by name, address, SS# or cell phone. They finally found it but since I didn't have my card right in front of me they started asking me security questions. I had to get 3 answers correct before they would do anything with my account. On the one hand, I'm glad that they are that secure but I couldn't answer all of them.
-They asked me questions like, my first boyfriend's name, how many cities have I lived in, the color and type of the first car I had (the one my parents let me drive or the first one I bought?), my first elementary school! I couldn't believe it! For my car answer, I said "tan Chevette". My original answer must have been "beige Chevette". Of course they didn't understand that "tan" and "beige" are practically the same color! Ugh...
-Anyway, I am going to call back several times over the next few days, requesting my balance, next payment due, last payment paid...and record each and every one of those calls and find someone to give them to!
-I would suggest that if you need customer service go to your Macy's store and work it out there. Otherwise, beware.

• Ni
    Nikki Apr 16, 2009

Mayc's has outsourced their customer service to perhaps the worst group of people EVER. It's appalling because even though their English is serviceable, the nuances of American English is LOST on them. A call that should have been resolved in 10-15 minutes...is STILL going on 1 HOUR 29 MINUTES LATER!!! I am CLOSING THESE ACCOUNTS. I don't know why in the world these people even bother answering the phone because while they are trying their best, their best simply is not sufficient.

• i disagree with the perspective that they do not have good service. I think they have excellent customer service, but only based on my only two experiences calling macys visa customer service. both times, i got reps who understood me and were very clear. they did not sound foreign at all, very American in fact. i am sure they were americans, but i want to mention that i am not bias, as long as the employee does a good job. they answered my questions perfectly. i never had to wait long at all to get customer service via the number on my card i dialed. i have enjoyed using the card and this is one of the reasons.

• Up
    Upset_shopper Nov 26, 2012

I completely agree that Macy's customer service is horrific! I called about a payment and spent over an hour and a half on the phone with a woman who was telling me that my English was poor and my issue has gotten worse after I notice she took the payment amount! I'm usually very tolerant and patience with thick accents, but she was beyond rude after she started yelling at me. This was the worse customer service I have ever received in my entire life. I gave Macy's feedback, but I just got the generic 'We apologize and Thank You for your feedback'. Some of the service at the stores has also deteriorated. I try to avoid going to Macy's and if I go, I avoid using the Macy's credit card.