Having problems with Macy's?

+1 800 289 6229 (United States)
+1 513 573 7912 (International)
+1 888 257 6757 (Credit Customer Service)
+1 888 822 6229 (Furniture and Mattress Customer Service)
+1 800 568 8865 (Wedding and Gift Registry)
685 Market St., 10th Fl.
Fri24h
Sat24h
Sun24h

Complaints & Reviews

took money from a credit I had in my account

Beware Macys Credit Card holders. Macy's will take it upon themselves to take your money if you have a...

mattress salespeople

I visited Macy's Carle place yesterday with my husband to look for a mattress. As my husband wasn't...

macy's is a rip off!!!

I opened a macys credit card with promises that I would get 15% off at the register and 10% off my bill...

poor customer service

To whom it may concern my name is mr gilmore. I was shopping in your security square mall store on sat afternoon may 31 and your sales rep in the mens casuals area could not find the time to ring up two shirts. As she was just standing and not doing anything. She then sent me to your sales rep junique who was working across from the mens accessories register. I have worked in retail for several years and I dont think thats what customer service is about.

credit fraud

The credit office of Macy's called me from India because I was behind on my bill. I made a payment, but it took twice as long as normal business over the phone does because I could not decipher what the agent was saying to me. After that, no one in the Macy's credit office in India or Ohio could find my payment even though I had the confirmation number. The electronic check was cashed by Macy's, though. Struggled with this situation for a couple of months while still making payments. But that other payment had disappeared. I finally found out from the credit office at Bloomingdale's that the payment went to that account. And Macy's put in a negative comment on my credit. I have now asked for Macy's to explain what happened to the payment and to rescind the credit agency negative strike against me.

marlena kuhn Aug 12, 2008

Just had to let folks out there know about the Macys in Henrietta New York. BEWARE. There is a woman there (still) after I called and complained to the store manager about her return habit. Twice now I have returned items that I purchased online, with a receipt mind you and TWICE she has asked for my social security number. Now I ask you why would she ask for that information? The store manager said it was company policy that she would ask for that. In plain language I said bull **** no one in their right mind would give that info for a simple return. I am a long time Kaufmanns customer and now Macy's and the manager gave me no satisfaction in this matter. I now shop at BonTon. This woman still works for Macy's. Look out folks.

Marlena

• Ti
    tina Sep 09, 2008

that just happened to me too!!! i made the payment electronically for 4 months and they still didn't get it!!! i finally just pay over the phone and cancelled my account. I will refuse to go to any macy's store because they take your money out of your pocket!!!

macy's furniture/bedding issues

I am a furniture and bedding customer service representative for Macy's. All of the complaints I see...

visa

March 2008 I tried to place two orders online at Macy's, I got an error msg, after a few attempts of nothing I decided not to bother with making the purchase, but Macy's charged my Visa for all of the items and this was done twice, and they claim that they didn't take any actions as such. I got a Detailed Transaction Data Report from Visa Transaction Research Service that gave me a documented copy of the time, and date that Macy's took the funds off my visa. I have been thru countless emails of constant back and fourth with absolutely NO PROGRESS from Macy's. Their Customer Service LACKS in great detail any degree of PROFESSIONALISM, this document was sent to them as proof in a pdf file, they claim that because of Virus I should send it via text, this was also sent via text, and they still refuse to put my funds back on my visa. Now they say there was no purchase, meaning if there was no purchase they would not take funds off my visa. I feel violated, frustrated, disgusted, and dissapointed with Macy's, one would expect a certain level of class with a store as such, that is considered the largest or one of the largest stores in the U. S.
I strongly advise any and everyone NOT TO EVER MAKE A PURCHASE ONLINE AT ANY MACY'S LOCATION!!! Something has to be done, this company needs to pay for ripping off hard working honest customers!

• Ms
    Ms Sunshine Mar 27, 2008

marlena kuhn Aug 12, 2008

I have to agree with you. I have purchased many items on Macy's.com and when I check on them they are on sale. I call they agree to credit back the difference, they don't I call again they appologise for the inconvenience, again no credit. Then to add insult to injury when I (stupidly) order again, they do not include a UPS return label. I call they appologise etc etc etc

incorrect amount entered as payment!

Have attempted to settle incorrect amount given to my account for two months--continue to US Mail documentation, fax same to three different numbers and have finance charge increase each month. The amount given to my account was $48.--not the $98.00 I paid--have sent copy of bank info check back and front four times to four different people i n Sa n Francisco, NY, Ohio, Florida--can you help me before the monthly $29.00 finance charge escalates --can not reach "real people--who care" Jeanne.

Resolved faulty boots

I ordered a REAL nice (looking) pair of boots from Macy's. I thought, that I could trust this name to send me only the BEST of quality boots. They sent me a pair where the left boot was mal-formed and facing out to the left. I sent them back, and then to Knoxville, Te US

I ordered a REAL nice (looking) pair of boots from Macy's. I thought, that I could trust this name to send me only the BEST of quality boots. They sent me a pair where the left boot was mal-formed and facing out to the left. I sent them back, and then they sent me a bill for $21.67. I, of course, refused to pay it, and got it reversed, but the fact of the matter is, they did NOT include a return policy for faulty products sent. If you got a faulty product, YOU had to eat the cost of sending it back. It is deducted from your refund, also, they fix it (to where) if you try to find out how much it would REALLY cost to send it back, (on your own) they have it fixed (to where you can't.) You get charged what THEY want to charge you in shipping, whether it costs that much or not.

I felt that, because I ordered these boots online, they probably sent me a pair that had already been sent back, with the hopes that I wouldn't go thru the trouble of sending them back, and, if I DID, they'd still make money off of me.

sales ad 12/12-12/17/07

I received a sale's add from one of Macy's Christmas sales event for 12/12/07 thru 12/17/07 that had three children on the front cover. The children were all dressed nice and festive, except that the child on the right was a boy, because he was wearing a santa mask, however, he was dressed like a girl. I thought that was inappropriate attire for a young boy. My own children remarked when they saw the add, and one of them asked, "mom, why is this kid dressed like a girl". This type of advertising is confusing our children or I think a subtle way of trying to brain wash our children into believing that it's okay for boys to dress like girls, etc.... It's wrong!

• Sp
    spiralsands Dec 12, 2007

Ridiculous complaint by insecure writer. Maybe it was just a boyish looking girl. They are children for Christ's sake.

• Ec
    Ecco Dec 26, 2007

If the kid was wearing a Santa mask, how do you know if it was a boy or a girl?

Get a life

• Ca
    CAROL BROOKS Oct 11, 2008

CANCEL OUT INTERNET SERVICE IT IS KILLING MY COMPUTER. I ORDER FROM MACY'S ON MY OWN WITHOUT AUTO STUFF.

I CANT TURN ON COMPUTER UNTIL I LET MACY'S COME ON...PLEASE STOP

suspicious finance charges on macy's credit account

I just got off the phone with Macy's Credit Customer service. I called because I had a perfectly proper...

account number scam!

I received a bill for items charged on my Macy's charge card. I paid the bill with my on line bill payer account. Macy's rejected the bill due to what they said was an incorrect account number. The account number I used was the one they sent me. Then they began to tack on finance and late fee charges. They said I should not have included the last two numbers on the account number THEY SENT ME. I told Macy's I would pay my original bill, they could cancel any finance and late fee charges, and they could cancel my account forever. Can you imagine how much money they could obtain doing this? I am appalled.

• Li
    Lisa M. Butts Nov 25, 2007

I went 2 the Kmart store in Richfield, MN got the receipt and it indicated I could possibly win $2,500. 00 well where since I can't find such a page and where is this such page??? I really believed in Kmart thinkin wow I got a chance and having some help with gifts this year. OOPS! where did my chance go? OOPS! I was lied 2 cause it's no where 2 b found... I gotta find me a new store with TRUTH! Peace Lisa.

• Je
    Jennifer Michael Nov 26, 2007

I am not surprised. Today I opened my statement, and they applied my payment (which was received on time) to my "Revolving Account" -- which had no balance. My "Major Purchases" account, however, did not reflect the payment due so they hit me with a late fee. So here I am with a "past due" Major Purchases account and a $250 Credit Balance on an empty "Revolving" account. I assume they will fix the error, but I agree can you imagine how many people they scam out of their money? You have to examine everything like a hawk. Who has time to fix corporate scams all day?

• Ad
    Ada Fuller Jul 28, 2008

I purchased 4 tickets on my Macy's credit card to go to the
    Indiana Black Expo for my husband's Birthday celebration.
    During the purchase I was told by a Macy's employee the seating arrangements would be fl2 section row L seat 11, 12, 13 & 14.
    Upon going to the concert on 7/19/08 @ 7:00pm the concert did not start until shortly after 9:00pm, We went to our seats as soon as we got there and was told by the security staff the concert has now been changed to general seating in which we was not informed of this in purchasing 50.00 tickets and an 8.40 service charge. If we would have known it was going to be general admission I would have never purchased the tickets. I feel this was false advertisement and I should be granted a full refund. Also at 11:00 all of the artist had not showed up.

customer service is horrendous!

1. I purchased two phones on sale at Macy's (still over $100). Neither phone holds a charge, and I am certain they put them on sale to pass the problem onto their customers rather than send defective items back to the manufacturer (Southwestern Bell).

2. I get my Macy's bills online. Through some confusion, I accessed a bill on the day it was due; therefore, my electronic payment was late. Macy's immediately tacked on a late charge and other charges.

3. I called Macy's to ask them to take these charges off. I never pay bills late, and I know that good companies who care about customer service let their good customers slide now and then. I was surprised, then, when Macy's said they'd take off only part of the extra charges.

4. They didn't.

5. When I attempted to reach them AGAIN to take off the charge, it was HELL getting through to talk to a live person. When I finally reached some arrogant guy with an English accent, he INTERROGATED me about why my payment was late (this was no longer the issue -- the issue was that Macy's didn't do what it promised -- he failed to apologize for MY inconvenience). After my interrogation and him agreeing to take off the charge, this little XXM&*!!! said to me, "I advise you to be more careful with your bill paying in the future." WHAT?!?!?

6. When I called to report this twirp, I believe they gave him the phone and he pretended to be his own supervisor. He was very dry and said (yawwwwn), "I'm sorry about that." Silence.

7. When I attempted to report the twirp via online complaint form, Macy's would not accept the complaint.

Simple: They don't want to handle customer problems. They don't want to hear it. They think they're too successful to bother with "us."

I am DONE with this store, this credit card, and this sorry customer service. There are plenty of other places to shop. No one needs this.

Marie Hackney May 06, 2008

Customer service is being outsourced to India. When trying to solve a payment misunderstanding, one of the people was rude, couldn't speak English well enough to repeat my confirmation number, and kept insisting that I was not telling the truth about the date I talked to them.

Macy's probably doesn't care about long time customers because of their size but at some point they will start to loose more business.

• St
    Stevie Melanson Nov 22, 2008

Macy's defrauds ther customers, first by posting that they will correct and/or adjust errors in the perfume dept.

Then they go to great lenghts to deny written claims, with empty promises by in store managers to investigate then deny
    to the extent that the store manager made promises to reimburse me after over half a dozen phone calls .

Promises made then lies to cover the tracts macy's service has slid down hill remarkably ...very disappointing...

credit card fraud

Macy's Credit card fraud It happened to me, the Macy's credit card fraud. I am writing this to...

very rude manager!

I had shopped at another Macy's (Smithhaven Mall) where I received an additional 50% discount on 3-4 designer names yesterday. I went to Macy's Hampton Bays today, and asked the sales lady about the additional sale. She informed me she knew nothing about it. Not knowing is not an answer. Upon pressing her to find out, I asked to see her Manager. The woman (Fanny, 265855)showed up huffing and puffing, advised me that I was already told that they "knew nothing about it" When I asked her to make a call and find out, she really huffed off... When she returned a few minutes later, she simply said "Nope!" She informed me that she was in charge of the store when I asked for her manager. She had no id tag. The managers wear the red tags. She refused to give me her name until I started to really get angry. I went into the office, where she was now talking about me to some others. In front of everyone, she said that she never refused to give me her id. Only at this point did she write on her card her id number. How does someone so unprofessional get to be called a manager of anything? The only thing she "managed" to do was make a customer upset enough to take time to write in. Macy's is usually not such a nice shopping experience anyway, I will not miss that store.

Noelle Aug 16, 2007

Unfortunately in this country you have to go to a luxury retailer to get "first class" service. My suggestion to the author is to spend a bit more and get the experience and personal service of a Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Ave. The calibre of employee is more professional and they are generally better trained and paid than the average "clerk".

I would rather shop a few times a year with a luxury retailer than regularly with a mid tier low service department store. Another bonus is luxury retailers while pricey, carry better tier merchandise. The things I've purchased last several seasons and are made well. Remember you are the consumer let your feet do the talking.

• Si
    Sickandtired2 Apr 26, 2011

Saks distribution center in MD, don't care about how the of boxes are shipped, the cleanliness of garments and if the product is shipped to the wrong consumer.

this is highly deceptive!

Yesterday, I went to Macy's to take advantage of the offer to receive a reduction when using a credit...

declined check!

After shopping at Macy's for several years, my check was declined when purchasing some clothing item...

Resolved uncaring and insensitive business practices

My mother and I went to Macy'e shoe department at the Highland Mall in Austin, TX. This young lady (and I use the term loosely!) gets my mother a pair of shoes, jumps up on the register counter and begins a tyraid on Iranians: ALL Iranians! She says that they are "all out to kill us," which is lumping an entire race into one catagory. The ironic thing is that she is African American! I would expect her, of all people, to know better than to racially stereotype races, just as I would expect any race considered a minority to know better. It so happens that my husband is an Iranian-American and he's the sweetest man alive! My mother went ballistic when she heard this because she adores her son-in-law, as does anyone who has ever met him. We've been married for 15 years and it has been the most wonderful relationship I have ever had!! He would never hurt a fly and to hear one of Macy's employees say racially discriminating things about his people is NOT acceptable! I complained to them, but it seems they did not take this seriously and thought I would just go away. They did call me and said they would launch an investigation. That would take a week, according to them, and they would contact me with the results and what action they took, which I made clear in my email to them that I would only be satisfied with her termination. I never heard from them again. They do not care what their employees do, this much is obvious. She's allowed to jump up onto the counter of the register that is in the middle of the shoe department for all to see. It's not even tucked away in the back, but is right up front! Neither I nor my family will EVER shop there again and I am telling everyone I know. I'm getting ready to have my husband send out a mass email at his company, which has thousands of employees and will do the same at my job as a consumer alert to Macy's uncaring and insensitive business practices.

An ANGRY consumer!
Yvette Armani

• Di
    disbelief Apr 01, 2009

As a Macy's associate I know that neither my co-workers or supervisors would ever tolerate racial slurs, jokes or behavior. We live where we work and are proud members of our communities. Our families come from a melting pot of races, religions, colors and sexual orientations.
    Behavior such as that described above would result in the immediate removal of the employee from the store.
    We enjoy the diversity of our customers. I would not tolerate a scene like that at the Macy's where I work or the store where I buy my food or the school I send my children to.

macy's not honoring manufacturer's warranty and stainsafe not complying with their service

In January of 07, I called Macy's to tell them of a tear in my new leather sofa (purchased in Feb 06) and to ask about how to contact Stainsafe. Stainsafe came out and stiched my sofa, but a week later it tore again. They came back out and said they'd have to replace the entire leather seat and back and replace with another piece of leather. I asked, since it was such a large repair and it was my only sofa, and it was only one year old, could Macy's replace it. The agent said he'd write it up. A couple of weeks later, I received a letter from Stainsafe stating that my warranty for this issue would no longer be valid/addressed because I had refused service. I have called several supervisors at MACY's, including the executive department... they pass the buck to Stainsafe, stating a year has passed, and the sofa is no longer under warranty with them. Stainsafe won't let me speak with any supervisor, I can't get past the phone rep. MACY'S gets my $1,800 and Stainsafe get my money too. I end up with a torn one-year-old Italian leather sofa. Does this seem fair?

I have shopped at MACY'S for many years but I will be shredding my MACY'S card, and encouraging everyone I know to do the same.

• Ju
    Julie Kepfer Feb 23, 2009

Dear Ms. Elba Schick, please call 888-822-6229. When the line picks up ask for furniture and bedding customer service. Then ask to speak to Janet Rodgers; she is a supoervisor in the furniture and beddinhg department;. She will do anythinh to help you. I know because she has helped me when no one could or would.

• Hu
    Huck Finn Oct 02, 2009

Stainsafe is the biggest rip off. This service is as good as a log. It does nothing for you!
    Macy's is great at passing the buck. It's never their fault.

• Fr
    franv May 26, 2011

I'm glad to see I am not alone in my disappointment with Macy's. We purchased our furniture in December 2007. Twice my husband and I visited the Macy's Galleria store in St. Louis and spoke to the same sales woman. Very long conversations about what the extended care option would cover. She assured us over and over again that the extended care would cover pet damage such as scratches, urine, vomit, blood, etc. We thought it over and purchased a leather sectional BASED ON THE INCORRECT INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE SALES WOMAN! A year later when I tried to use the extended care I purchased, after a long conversation with an agent for the coverage which consisted of me telling her the exact location and type of damage on each piece, she put me on hold to get a work number and came back with the news that my damage wasn't covered. Animal punctures and scratches were NOT covered. Just urine, vomit and blood. Apparently if a human scratched or chewed the furniture it was covered. That sales woman at Macy's HAD to know what she was doing just to make a sale. I haven't shopped at Macy's in years and I certainly don't intend to in the future.

don't get your watch fixed at macy's watch repair!

Macy's Watch Repair, Menlo Park Mall, Edison, New Jersey

I brought my watch to Macy's to be fixed, and it was a disaster. It took longer than they said it would, and then when I got the watch back, it stopped working soon after. I returned to Macy's soon after this to get a refund, was told by the clerk that he needed to speak with his manager about it and he took my watch back, saying that they would call me about it. I never received a call.

A few weeks later I returned to Macy's to collect my refund and my watch. My watch wasn't there; they had sent it back to the repairman's shop, against my wishes. I was moving out-of-state the next day, and I didn't have the original receipt with me to get my refund of nearly $50. The manager told me to send them a credit card statement with the charge on it and then they'd issue the refund. Well, this never happened. I did send a statement, but heard nothing back from them. The only way I got my watch back was because my husband was traveling on business and was able to stop by Macy's and get it. The watch still didn't work, and I'm out $50. They handled the matter unprofessionally and irresponsibly.
Don't get your watch fixed at Macy's Watch Repair at the Menlo Park Mall in Edison, NJ!