Having problems with Macy's?

+1 800 289 6229 (United States)
+1 513 573 7912 (International)
+1 888 257 6757 (Credit Customer Service)
+1 888 822 6229 (Furniture and Mattress Customer Service)
+1 800 568 8865 (Wedding and Gift Registry)
685 Market St., 10th Fl.
Sat24h
Sun24h

Complaints & Reviews

Macys — rip off company

Mattress was defective, so they tried to charge me $130 for the return of the box spring + 10% restocking fee...

Macy's Visa Credit Cardcustomer service reps - don't speak english well

Macy's Visa Customer Service reps do not speak or understand English very well; actually... I shouldn't generalize... but the two I spoke to (2 months apart) were damned awful. I believe they are outsourced to India, as many companies do these days.

-Both times I was asked to repeat myself 2 or 3 times through the whole conversation.
-Many times, they asked me to spell out a word and even a numeral more than once. I mean, if I have to spell out the number 2 (two), there is something wrong here! Especially when you are dealing with my money and credit rating.
-Very long and silent pauses between each answer
-In this recent instance, they called me on my cell phone requesting payment information, and when I called back with the information they requested, they couldn't locate my account by my cell phone number! Really? You JUST called me on that number. After 10 minutes on the phone trying to locate my account, he asked me more questions and I just hung up!
-The first time I called, I didn't have my account number in front of me and they also couldn't locate my account, either by name, address, SS# or cell phone. They finally found it but since I didn't have my card right in front of me they started asking me security questions. I had to get 3 answers correct before they would do anything with my account. On the one hand, I'm glad that they are that secure but I couldn't answer all of them.
-They asked me questions like, my first boyfriend's name, how many cities have I lived in, the color and type of the first car I had (the one my parents let me drive or the first one I bought?), my first elementary school! I couldn't believe it! For my car answer, I said "tan Chevette". My original answer must have been "beige Chevette". Of course they didn't understand that "tan" and "beige" are practically the same color! Ugh...
-Anyway, I am going to call back several times over the next few days, requesting my balance, next payment due, last payment paid...and record each and every one of those calls and find someone to give them to!
-I would suggest that if you need customer service go to your Macy's store and work it out there. Otherwise, beware.

• Ni
      Nikki Apr 16, 2009

Mayc's has outsourced their customer service to perhaps the worst group of people EVER. It's appalling because even though their English is serviceable, the nuances of American English is LOST on them. A call that should have been resolved in 10-15 minutes...is STILL going on 1 HOUR 29 MINUTES LATER!!! I am CLOSING THESE ACCOUNTS. I don't know why in the world these people even bother answering the phone because while they are trying their best, their best simply is not sufficient.

• i disagree with the perspective that they do not have good service. I think they have excellent customer service, but only based on my only two experiences calling macys visa customer service. both times, i got reps who understood me and were very clear. they did not sound foreign at all, very American in fact. i am sure they were americans, but i want to mention that i am not bias, as long as the employee does a good job. they answered my questions perfectly. i never had to wait long at all to get customer service via the number on my card i dialed. i have enjoyed using the card and this is one of the reasons.

• Up
      Upset_shopper Nov 26, 2012

I completely agree that Macy's customer service is horrific! I called about a payment and spent over an hour and a half on the phone with a woman who was telling me that my English was poor and my issue has gotten worse after I notice she took the payment amount! I'm usually very tolerant and patience with thick accents, but she was beyond rude after she started yelling at me. This was the worse customer service I have ever received in my entire life. I gave Macy's feedback, but I just got the generic 'We apologize and Thank You for your feedback'. Some of the service at the stores has also deteriorated. I try to avoid going to Macy's and if I go, I avoid using the Macy's credit card.

Macy's — took money from a credit I had in my account

Beware Macys Credit Card holders. Macy's will take it upon themselves to take your money if you have a...

Macy's Carle Place - Westbury LI — mattress salespeople

I visited Macy's Carle place yesterday with my husband to look for a mattress. As my husband wasn't...

Macy's Credit Card — macy's is a rip off!!!

I opened a macys credit card with promises that I would get 15% off at the register and 10% off my bill...

Macys John Ashford Shirtspoor customer service

To whom it may concern my name is mr gilmore. I was shopping in your security square mall store on sat afternoon may 31 and your sales rep in the mens casuals area could not find the time to ring up two shirts. As she was just standing and not doing anything. She then sent me to your sales rep junique who was working across from the mens accessories register. I have worked in retail for several years and I dont think thats what customer service is about.

Macy'scredit fraud

The credit office of Macy's called me from India because I was behind on my bill. I made a payment, but it took twice as long as normal business over the phone does because I could not decipher what the agent was saying to me. After that, no one in the Macy's credit office in India or Ohio could find my payment even though I had the confirmation number. The electronic check was cashed by Macy's, though. Struggled with this situation for a couple of months while still making payments. But that other payment had disappeared. I finally found out from the credit office at Bloomingdale's that the payment went to that account. And Macy's put in a negative comment on my credit. I have now asked for Macy's to explain what happened to the payment and to rescind the credit agency negative strike against me.

marlena kuhn Aug 12, 2008

Just had to let folks out there know about the Macys in Henrietta New York. BEWARE. There is a woman there (still) after I called and complained to the store manager about her return habit. Twice now I have returned items that I purchased online, with a receipt mind you and TWICE she has asked for my social security number. Now I ask you why would she ask for that information? The store manager said it was company policy that she would ask for that. In plain language I said bull **** no one in their right mind would give that info for a simple return. I am a long time Kaufmanns customer and now Macy's and the manager gave me no satisfaction in this matter. I now shop at BonTon. This woman still works for Macy's. Look out folks.

Marlena

• Ti
          tina Sep 09, 2008

that just happened to me too!!! i made the payment electronically for 4 months and they still didn't get it!!! i finally just pay over the phone and cancelled my account. I will refuse to go to any macy's store because they take your money out of your pocket!!!

Macy's Furniture and Bedding — macy's furniture/bedding issues

I am a furniture and bedding customer service representative for Macy's. All of the complaints I see...

Macy'svisa

March 2008 I tried to place two orders online at Macy's, I got an error msg, after a few attempts of nothing I decided not to bother with making the purchase, but Macy's charged my Visa for all of the items and this was done twice, and they claim that they didn't take any actions as such. I got a Detailed Transaction Data Report from Visa Transaction Research Service that gave me a documented copy of the time, and date that Macy's took the funds off my visa. I have been thru countless emails of constant back and fourth with absolutely NO PROGRESS from Macy's. Their Customer Service LACKS in great detail any degree of PROFESSIONALISM, this document was sent to them as proof in a pdf file, they claim that because of Virus I should send it via text, this was also sent via text, and they still refuse to put my funds back on my visa. Now they say there was no purchase, meaning if there was no purchase they would not take funds off my visa. I feel violated, frustrated, disgusted, and dissapointed with Macy's, one would expect a certain level of class with a store as such, that is considered the largest or one of the largest stores in the U. S.
        I strongly advise any and everyone NOT TO EVER MAKE A PURCHASE ONLINE AT ANY MACY'S LOCATION!!! Something has to be done, this company needs to pay for ripping off hard working honest customers!

• Ms
            Ms Sunshine Mar 27, 2008

marlena kuhn Aug 12, 2008

I have to agree with you. I have purchased many items on Macy's.com and when I check on them they are on sale. I call they agree to credit back the difference, they don't I call again they appologise for the inconvenience, again no credit. Then to add insult to injury when I (stupidly) order again, they do not include a UPS return label. I call they appologise etc etc etc

Macy'sincorrect amount entered as payment!

Have attempted to settle incorrect amount given to my account for two months--continue to US Mail documentation, fax same to three different numbers and have finance charge increase each month. The amount given to my account was $48.--not the $98.00 I paid--have sent copy of bank info check back and front four times to four different people i n Sa n Francisco, NY, Ohio, Florida--can you help me before the monthly $29.00 finance charge escalates --can not reach "real people--who care" Jeanne.

Macy's Onlinefaulty boots

I ordered a REAL nice (looking) pair of boots from Macy's. I thought, that I could trust this name to send me only the BEST of quality boots. They sent me a pair where the left boot was mal-formed and facing out to the left. I sent them back, and then to Knoxville, Te US

I ordered a REAL nice (looking) pair of boots from Macy's. I thought, that I could trust this name to send me only the BEST of quality boots. They sent me a pair where the left boot was mal-formed and facing out to the left. I sent them back, and then they sent me a bill for $21.67. I, of course, refused to pay it, and got it reversed, but the fact of the matter is, they did NOT include a return policy for faulty products sent. If you got a faulty product, YOU had to eat the cost of sending it back. It is deducted from your refund, also, they fix it (to where) if you try to find out how much it would REALLY cost to send it back, (on your own) they have it fixed (to where you can't.) You get charged what THEY want to charge you in shipping, whether it costs that much or not.

I felt that, because I ordered these boots online, they probably sent me a pair that had already been sent back, with the hopes that I wouldn't go thru the trouble of sending them back, and, if I DID, they'd still make money off of me.

Macy'ssales ad 12/12-12/17/07

I received a sale's add from one of Macy's Christmas sales event for 12/12/07 thru 12/17/07 that had three children on the front cover. The children were all dressed nice and festive, except that the child on the right was a boy, because he was wearing a santa mask, however, he was dressed like a girl. I thought that was inappropriate attire for a young boy. My own children remarked when they saw the add, and one of them asked, "mom, why is this kid dressed like a girl". This type of advertising is confusing our children or I think a subtle way of trying to brain wash our children into believing that it's okay for boys to dress like girls, etc.... It's wrong!

• Sp
                  spiralsands Dec 12, 2007

Ridiculous complaint by insecure writer. Maybe it was just a boyish looking girl. They are children for Christ's sake.

• Ec
                  Ecco Dec 26, 2007

If the kid was wearing a Santa mask, how do you know if it was a boy or a girl?

Get a life

• Ca
                  CAROL BROOKS Oct 11, 2008

CANCEL OUT INTERNET SERVICE IT IS KILLING MY COMPUTER. I ORDER FROM MACY'S ON MY OWN WITHOUT AUTO STUFF.

I CANT TURN ON COMPUTER UNTIL I LET MACY'S COME ON...PLEASE STOP

Macy's Store and Visa Card — suspicious finance charges on macy's credit account

I just got off the phone with Macy's Credit Customer service. I called because I had a perfectly proper...

Macy'saccount number scam!

I received a bill for items charged on my Macy's charge card. I paid the bill with my on line bill payer account. Macy's rejected the bill due to what they said was an incorrect account number. The account number I used was the one they sent me. Then they began to tack on finance and late fee charges. They said I should not have included the last two numbers on the account number THEY SENT ME. I told Macy's I would pay my original bill, they could cancel any finance and late fee charges, and they could cancel my account forever. Can you imagine how much money they could obtain doing this? I am appalled.

• Li
                    Lisa M. Butts Nov 25, 2007

I went 2 the Kmart store in Richfield, MN got the receipt and it indicated I could possibly win $2,500. 00 well where since I can't find such a page and where is this such page??? I really believed in Kmart thinkin wow I got a chance and having some help with gifts this year. OOPS! where did my chance go? OOPS! I was lied 2 cause it's no where 2 b found... I gotta find me a new store with TRUTH! Peace Lisa.

• Je
                    Jennifer Michael Nov 26, 2007

I am not surprised. Today I opened my statement, and they applied my payment (which was received on time) to my "Revolving Account" -- which had no balance. My "Major Purchases" account, however, did not reflect the payment due so they hit me with a late fee. So here I am with a "past due" Major Purchases account and a $250 Credit Balance on an empty "Revolving" account. I assume they will fix the error, but I agree can you imagine how many people they scam out of their money? You have to examine everything like a hawk. Who has time to fix corporate scams all day?

• Ad
                    Ada Fuller Jul 28, 2008

I purchased 4 tickets on my Macy's credit card to go to the
                    Indiana Black Expo for my husband's Birthday celebration.
                    During the purchase I was told by a Macy's employee the seating arrangements would be fl2 section row L seat 11, 12, 13 & 14.
                    Upon going to the concert on 7/19/08 @ 7:00pm the concert did not start until shortly after 9:00pm, We went to our seats as soon as we got there and was told by the security staff the concert has now been changed to general seating in which we was not informed of this in purchasing 50.00 tickets and an 8.40 service charge. If we would have known it was going to be general admission I would have never purchased the tickets. I feel this was false advertisement and I should be granted a full refund. Also at 11:00 all of the artist had not showed up.

Macy'scustomer service is horrendous!

1. I purchased two phones on sale at Macy's (still over $100). Neither phone holds a charge, and I am certain they put them on sale to pass the problem onto their customers rather than send defective items back to the manufacturer (Southwestern Bell).

2. I get my Macy's bills online. Through some confusion, I accessed a bill on the day it was due; therefore, my electronic payment was late. Macy's immediately tacked on a late charge and other charges.

3. I called Macy's to ask them to take these charges off. I never pay bills late, and I know that good companies who care about customer service let their good customers slide now and then. I was surprised, then, when Macy's said they'd take off only part of the extra charges.

4. They didn't.

5. When I attempted to reach them AGAIN to take off the charge, it was HELL getting through to talk to a live person. When I finally reached some arrogant guy with an English accent, he INTERROGATED me about why my payment was late (this was no longer the issue -- the issue was that Macy's didn't do what it promised -- he failed to apologize for MY inconvenience). After my interrogation and him agreeing to take off the charge, this little XXM&*!!! said to me, "I advise you to be more careful with your bill paying in the future." WHAT?!?!?

6. When I called to report this twirp, I believe they gave him the phone and he pretended to be his own supervisor. He was very dry and said (yawwwwn), "I'm sorry about that." Silence.

7. When I attempted to report the twirp via online complaint form, Macy's would not accept the complaint.

Simple: They don't want to handle customer problems. They don't want to hear it. They think they're too successful to bother with "us."

I am DONE with this store, this credit card, and this sorry customer service. There are plenty of other places to shop. No one needs this.

Marie Hackney May 06, 2008

Customer service is being outsourced to India. When trying to solve a payment misunderstanding, one of the people was rude, couldn't speak English well enough to repeat my confirmation number, and kept insisting that I was not telling the truth about the date I talked to them.

Macy's probably doesn't care about long time customers because of their size but at some point they will start to loose more business.

• St
                      Stevie Melanson Nov 22, 2008

Macy's defrauds ther customers, first by posting that they will correct and/or adjust errors in the perfume dept.

Then they go to great lenghts to deny written claims, with empty promises by in store managers to investigate then deny
                      to the extent that the store manager made promises to reimburse me after over half a dozen phone calls .

Promises made then lies to cover the tracts macy's service has slid down hill remarkably ...very disappointing...

Macy's Credit Card — credit card fraud

Macy's Credit card fraud It happened to me, the Macy's credit card fraud. I am writing this to...

Macy's In Hampton Bays — very rude manager!

I had shopped at another Macy's (Smithhaven Mall) where I received an additional 50% discount on 3-4...

Macy's — this is highly deceptive!

Yesterday, I went to Macy's to take advantage of the offer to receive a reduction when using a credit...

Macy's Department Store — declined check!

After shopping at Macy's for several years, my check was declined when purchasing some clothing item...

Macy's - Austin, TXuncaring and insensitive business practices

My mother and I went to Macy'e shoe department at the Highland Mall in Austin, TX. This young lady (and I use the term loosely!) gets my mother a pair of shoes, jumps up on the register counter and begins a tyraid on Iranians: ALL Iranians! She says that they are "all out to kill us," which is lumping an entire race into one catagory. The ironic thing is that she is African American! I would expect her, of all people, to know better than to racially stereotype races, just as I would expect any race considered a minority to know better. It so happens that my husband is an Iranian-American and he's the sweetest man alive! My mother went ballistic when she heard this because she adores her son-in-law, as does anyone who has ever met him. We've been married for 15 years and it has been the most wonderful relationship I have ever had!! He would never hurt a fly and to hear one of Macy's employees say racially discriminating things about his people is NOT acceptable! I complained to them, but it seems they did not take this seriously and thought I would just go away. They did call me and said they would launch an investigation. That would take a week, according to them, and they would contact me with the results and what action they took, which I made clear in my email to them that I would only be satisfied with her termination. I never heard from them again. They do not care what their employees do, this much is obvious. She's allowed to jump up onto the counter of the register that is in the middle of the shoe department for all to see. It's not even tucked away in the back, but is right up front! Neither I nor my family will EVER shop there again and I am telling everyone I know. I'm getting ready to have my husband send out a mass email at his company, which has thousands of employees and will do the same at my job as a consumer alert to Macy's uncaring and insensitive business practices.

An ANGRY consumer!
                    Yvette Armani

• Di
                        disbelief Apr 01, 2009

As a Macy's associate I know that neither my co-workers or supervisors would ever tolerate racial slurs, jokes or behavior. We live where we work and are proud members of our communities. Our families come from a melting pot of races, religions, colors and sexual orientations.
                        Behavior such as that described above would result in the immediate removal of the employee from the store.
                        We enjoy the diversity of our customers. I would not tolerate a scene like that at the Macy's where I work or the store where I buy my food or the school I send my children to.