Kenmore Ovenbeware! don't burn your house!

S Review updated:

On Sunday May 27, 2007, I turned my Sears Kenmore oven on to preheat so I could bake cookies. I left the room for less than 5 minutes. When I returned, I realized my oven was on fire. The bottom heating element was in flames and the digital read outs on the stove top were all blank. I turned the oven off, it continued to burn, so I ran to the circuit breaker and turned it off, after a few minutes, the fire went out. My range was SO hot, it took a long time for the exterior of it to cool enough to touch. We called the manager at our local Sears, and several other people, all the way to the corporate offices. NO one would offer any satisfaction. This range was only 5 years old! We wanted them to come and see what malfunctioned and caused it to burn. They refused to do that unless we paid them to come. Since the oven was destroyed, we didn't want to sink any more money into it. We had it hauled away when our new range was delivered (not a Kenmore, and not from Sears). We do have pictures of the burned element and the serial # off the range. We hope someone will take notice and recall these ovens before someones house burns down.

• Re
    RealitySoBites Sep 19, 2020

Kenmore oven's look like they were designed by a child with a mental defect.. absolutely garbage.
    You can't fix bad design... you don't buy it.
    Can see what having an inept thieving CEO did to Sears.

• Ro
    Rose Marie Marburger Oct 08, 2019

I have a 25 year old 911. Model electric stove. Tonight I was lucky to be in my kitchen when I saw a white flash and flames along the lower element. The smoke filled the oven so I left the oven door closed and got my fire extinguisher ready and I guess I panicked because I couldn’t remember where on the panel I needed to turn off the oven. Luckily, my circuit breaker went off in my basement. This seems to be an issue sears has had for a very long time and hasn’t done anything to prevent it from happening. I guess that now they no longer are doing business, I guess we are on our own. It’s life threatening.

• Gr
    GrammyCAK Jul 01, 2019

All of these posts are old, anyone have problems in 2019? Don’t know where to go to get resolution. Installed Kenmore range 2 years ago, but purchased and stored it for one year prior. Yesterday, the entire electrical system at back of stove caught fire, melded all wires and components together. Here is information model no 790.[protected]; UL listed 81m1; September2019. Distributed sears brands get Corp, Hoffman estates; made in Canada

Comments

• Do
    DoneWithSears Jun 03, 2018

Kenmore Electric Range purchased 2012. Oven goes into self-clean mode when doing normal baking; food is burned, house filled with smoke and can't shut off. Our Kenmore refrigerator ice maker went out after three years; Front load washer would never balance. Sitting in our basement. Never again with Sears. No wonder they are closing stores. Bought all three appliances from same store in 2012.

• Aj
    ajdodson Aug 23, 2016

My washing machine does not rinse water, within the last month the machine has retained water in the basin. After 3 attempts and many missed hours of work, guess what the washer is still not rinsing and the tech has to decide if the machine is worth replacing. My technicians boss told him that my machine has been repaired to the point that it should rinse and hung up on him. So the tech managed to rinse the stagnate water out of my machine and told me there was nothing else they could do. So what was my $250.00 warranty for? Customer service was not helpful, either they would call me back with results in 24 hours or I could make another appointment and have another senior tech come out. More missed work and still no results.

• Jm
    J. merr Aug 04, 2016

Oven racks in Kenmore Elite (Model 790.[protected]) fall down. They are too small for this range..

• Da
    Dave Aug 04, 2016

We owned a cheep Kenmore upright. This sales guy phoned and had a spiel about the Tristar vacuum. We thought for a "prize", which we found difficult to collect on, but we heard him out.

This guy was slick but he made it sound really like a good vacuum, even with a nice demonstration.

I hate sales people, and this guy was good. And he got us to buy one of these little toys of his. What a mistake. HUGE mistake!!!

It is pricey, looks great, does not work nearly as well as our cheep Kenmore. I just tried to clean up needles from a Christmas tree and it just pushes them around and picks up a few at a time.

We have a professional cleaning service come in every 2 weeks and the first week they used it they HATED it. They said it does not pick-up enough (not enough suction) and it keeps pinching his fingers when he puts the tube pieces together. They asked for the cheep Kenmore back as well.

If these people call you, I recommend you hang up. If you think the prize will be good reason to listen, WRONG!! Tell them to go away not come back. Anyone want to trade a new Tristar for a even reasonable vacuum?

Good luck,
    Dave

• Cr
    Criss Wahl Jul 27, 2016

I really do not recommend buying Sears appliances. They preach that they are about customer service, but I have found that not to be totally accurate. We have a large family and bought the Kenmore Elite Oasis HT from our local Sears store. In two years we have owned it, we've had multiple problems with our machine. We've had a leaky hose, two water pumps replaced, and now waiting on a new drum and a couple of other parts that I don't even know what they are.

This last go around started Jan 3rd. We were told that the repair man would be here on the 27th. Until then we could take our close to the laundromat and they would reimburse us $25 a week. We easily spent more than that each week at our overpriced laundromat. Repairman arrived on the 27th and had to order multiple parts that were back ordered at the warehouse. It was unknown when they would be available. Sears then gave us an option to rent a washer till repairs could be made. As we picked out our rental, it came to our attention that Sears would only give us $100 max on the laundromat reimbursement. Plus, if we rented a washer now, they would not reimburse for the landromat for the previous weeks. We had to pay almost $90 for a minimum of a month rental. If our washer is fixed before the month is up we are on the hook for the remaining time on the month contract.

We have been around and around with Sears on the phone. Over $200 has been spent up front out of our pockets and not to forget our time wasted at a laundromat. We are tired of the inconvenience and spending money we can't afford. Sears just passes us off on the phone to different people hoping we just give up. I spent over an hour the last time I called. When they get tired of you bothering them they put you on hold till finally you hang up. We also have a Kenmore microwave in the shop and a Kenmore dishwasher that has been a nightmare with problems that is again waiting for a repairman. We are now looking into a new stove and it will not be a Sears product.

• SearsCare Jul 27, 2016

Claudia Engstrom,
    We’re sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with your washing machine. My name is David with our Sears Social Media Support team. If you would like, we would be happy to have a case manager contact you directly to discuss this situation and assist you in addressing any other concerns you may have. If you would like to discuss this further, please send the following information to [email protected] – contact number and phone number used at time of purchase. Also please provide this screen name (Claudia Engstrom) for reference to this issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble this has caused and we hope to talk to you soon.
    David W.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• Cl
    Claudia Engstrom Jul 27, 2016

Purchased this machine on7/26/07. Paid $326 on 9/26/11 to have Control Board replaced. For the past month I have to unplug the machine after use, otherwise it keeps beeping and turning off and on constantly. I believe Sears should take responsibility, this Washer is obviously a LEMON. I refuse to pay another $300+ to have it repaired once again.
    The Set cost $1900, I am very disappointed in this product and I am sure I am not alone.
    Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer 119.[protected]

• SearsCare Jul 27, 2016

Dear Aletax,

I am indeed sorry for all the trouble you have encountered with the delivery of your mothers refrigerator as well as the communication failure. My name is Misty and I am with the Sears Cares team and we would like to speak with you to help make this right on your behalf. At your convenience, please send the following information – contact # for your mother, screen name (Aletak), phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected] We look forward to speaking with you soon!

Misty H.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

Aletak Jul 27, 2016

Sears has been an institution in our family for major appliances for over 60 years.
    Yesterday I took my mother in to Sears to buy a new Kenmore front load washing machine. By adding a service agreement for 3 years ($150.00), delivery, etc the total was over $1000.00.
    This was at approximately 3pm. She also paid extra for next day delivery (today).
    We were supposed to be called between 6 - 8 pm last night, but hadn't been called. So I called. Was told we were on the schedule but no time set yet. We would get a call by 9 pm.
    Guess what, no call. I called again. Was told we were on the schedule but still no time in system. The rep said she sent an email to the warehouse. Would receive a call between 7 - 10 am today. NO CALL AGAIN.
    I called and to begin with was told we were NOT on the schedule. I repeatedly asked for a supervisor but was given the runaround. I am getting more and more irate. The rep will not answer me re:why I repeatedly have to request a supervisor. Is it Sears policy to ignore the customers requests?? And why do they talk in circles instead of answering questions?
    FINALLY after the 4th time I am given a supervisor. At great length I learn we WERE on the schedule but the warehouse failed to get the item on truck. I also learned from the supervisor the rep today wrote in her notes she offered us a store gift card of $50.00. She did not.
    You now want to deliver tomorrow. My mother will lose a days work for this. Not good enough. No discount on merchandise to offset loss of wages.
    I have been lied to by your company representatives, specifically the CS rep I spoke to today. No attempt to make this delivery today when we were charged extra for this service.
    Not acceptable. Will seriously be reconsidering EVER being a Sears customer for anything of importance again. We have stopped payment on the check today at a cost of more than $30.00 to my mother due to this fiasco!
    For this purchase I will go to Hh Gregg tomorrow to purchase an Lg product. It is rated higher than the Kenmore and has a better rebate.

Alea Laughery Jun 22, 2016

My oven has caught fire twice now. The first time, we were actually cooking, and the top of our food burned. The second time, it caught itself on fire just while preheating. It will not turn off, we must disconnect the breaker. The first time, I spent several hours on the phone getting exasperated with the representatives I talked to who just kept transferring me to someone else and no one will take any blame of course. This time, I'm taking to the internet. I will not be using this stove again. I am going to warn everyone I know about this. I told them that what made me mad was that they were putting so many people's lives in danger and they simply do not care.

• Jm
    j mcgan Jun 06, 2016

I WILL NEVER BUY FROM SEARS AGAIN!!!We bought a heat and air package back in 2007, when we went to turn on the KENMORE FURANCE it wouldnt work, so they sent someone, they had to order a part (REALLY) come on its brand new and it needs a new part.got it working and then around thanksgiving it kept coming on then off again and blew out cold air we called and it would take 24-48hrs for a person to call us and when the man did called he was busy and he couldnt be until 2 days later and it was 20 degree out, finally on dec 7 2007 they fix it, oh but this isnt the end around April 2008 it stopped working again and the service person said avacume hose went bad .this unit is not even a year yet and its been work on 3 times, but this isnt the end now it dec 2009 and the pilot light wont light so we have to keep resetting this switch to get it to turn on and then sear cant get anyone here until dec 21st, I want to sue sears because we got a lemon but we all know who would win.

Alea Laughery May 23, 2016

If you have had this same issue and bought it at Sears, I found an e-mail for our complaints. not putting a whole lot of hope in it, but we need to get this recalled! contactsearsholdings.com

Alea Laughery May 23, 2016

This is still going on! My stove just required us to turn off the breaker as well! I googled, "Oven is flashing error, burnt " and this is the first post that popped up. Yep, Kenmore. So, this isn't new! They know this is an issue and yet they keep selling this dangerous product! For the last hour or so, I have been sent here and there to try and talk to someone who has any authority. At this point, I have talked to at least 4 people, and have gotten no where. I am concerned for others who have a Kenmore. I'm not using this stove ever again, so I see no need to get a replacement "anything". What I want is for them to recall the stupid thing so that this doesn't keep happening. They have to know there is an issue, but the problem is they have covered themselves so that it's impossible to get the blame, and impossible to get to the bottom of it. I'm going to blast them all over social media. We have to get the word out however we can. They have lost my business forever; Sears, Kenmore and Frigidaire, all of whom I have talked to today by the way, none of whom will take any blame!

• Te
    Ted Doyle Mar 27, 2016

I had the same problem. I had the oven on the oven over heated and caught the food on fire. I had to shut the power off on the breaker panel. I called sears to report the problem and how there should be a recall on this range. They would not replace the part for free. I had to foot the bill myself. Someone Will definitely lose their house and possibly a life be cause of this problem and they don't seem to care. I will never buy a sears/Kenmore product again.

• Pe
    peahen Mar 11, 2016

I have a three year old washer with rust around bleach dispensore, it is now march, 11th, 2016.i think unless my washer could be replaced, there should be a recall on all the washers.

Sabrina Ghetti Feb 12, 2016

I have purchased a Kenmore Electric Range 790.9210, 9220, 9230, 9240 model 3 years ago at Sears, Coral Gables, Florida. Tonight I have used the oven and I had just turned it off when I heard a POP and some flames came from behind the control panel. Fortunately the fire did not spread and stopped by itself. A strong smell of melted plastic is now all over our house. My husband checked behind the appliance once it was cold, and found out that the mother board went on fire and melted. The oven does not work anymore of course, only the cooktop. I will not even bother to call Sears and fight for a free repair. These major companies do not care about our safety, only make money. They used to build very solid appliances, now you are lucky if they last more than 2 years. This is all crap. Not only this brand in particular, the internet is full of thousands of identical complaints and incidents. Shame on you all.

• Bu
    Bub1 Jan 18, 2016

I have a Kenmore elite gas range, slide in model, [protected]. I was using broiler and smoke started coming up from back vent...I flipped on the fan thinking that's all it was...smoke kept getting worse coming out from all sides of range...I thought maybe a fire from behind the oven... I turned it off...broiler did go off but smoke only got worse...smoke detectors going off...I called 911. I apologized to the the firefighters, and they were like...No one could live here with this amount of smoke...an obvious oven malfunction. I had a repairman out today and he recreated the scenario...same thing. He said to buy a new range...I would be scared to death to use it again!!! It's only 7 yrs old!!!
    So bummed.

John Muraca Dec 13, 2015

To whom it may concern: My Kenmore Dishwasher caught on FIRE, and if we were not at Home we may have last the house. John Muraca 1759 NEWPORT RD POLAND, NY (31​5) ​867​-30​77

• Sh
    Shirley Nasif Dec 06, 2015

KENMORE7909611 electric range control panel blew out after 6 years light use as i live alone it will cost about 300 dollars to fix no more kenmore for me They should have a recall or make good for such poor quality

• Me
    Melanie Allen Aug 26, 2015

Kenmore Ultrabake 665.95824 purchased 2011 (yes, I know it's getting old) and tonight I turned oven on to 350, heard unusual beeping, F3 code displayed and broiler red hot. Unplugged for 10 minutes. Plugged it in, didn't touch any controls and broiler came on red hot - it's been unplugged since and I see this is a somewhat common problem.

• Ve
    Vero Afy Jul 30, 2015

I bought my Kenmore electric/gas cooker(model 790) from Sears in Maryland in 2009 and had it shipped down to me in Ghana. I didn't come to use it until I came down in Nov of 2010. Since the electronic voltage was lower than it's used in Ghana, I had it plugged into a transformer. Just about the second time I was using the oven, I noticed that the whole kitchen went suddenly very hot and the oven itself went out of operation. Since then each time I'd used the burner, I'd never stopped smelling gas leakage in the kitchen. I'd always had to remember to turn off my cylinder every time I finish using the burner. As for the oven area I was completely unable to go there. Actually, I could even hear the gas flow whenever I opened the oven door while the gas cylinder was opened. My family feared for me each time they saw me using the unit but I had no choice! I bought it to use it! Recently I got someone who I realise knows how to correct the abnormality and he asked me to look for a compressor. It's the search for the compressor that has opened my eyes to this general problem. Something must be done before some lives are lost.

• Ba
    Barbara Arndt Drummond Jul 27, 2015

My Kenmore electric range model # [protected] burst into flames from the control panel on Saturday Night...NO response from sears I filed a claim but who knows.. I have had stoves that lasted 20 years this stove is only 3 years old. I looked on the internet and there are lots of complaints about This.. it is pretty sad that they are aware of these problems and do nothing.. HOw dare they knowingly put me and my family in danger!

• Bi
    Bill1234567 Mar 29, 2015

I have smoke billowing out of the back of the oven, which as been off for about 3 hours now. 2nd time, house stinks like smoke and will for month. Sears. They should just go bankrupt already.

• Tr
    Trent hall Feb 02, 2015

My wife and I have had all of the above problems and have had the oven replaced twice including liners heating elements fans all to both oven twice. We no longer have warranty and the back fan ir red hot now. Is this not a recall situation?

• Ka
    Katla Jan 31, 2015

I was cooking a pizza at 400 degrees in our 5 year old Kenmore electric range/oven model 790. About 15 minutes in the controls started a constant beeping which it had never done before. Went to kitchen to find that It was flashing F10. I opened the oven door and the heat that came out was incredible... and the pizza which was only supposedly half done was black and ruined!
    Shutting off oven from controls did not work, it simply turned itself back on and flashed F10 again. I tried it probably 5 or 6 times before giving up and went for the electric panel to switch it off from there.
    There was very little info in the users manuel so I goggled and found my way here and can't believe it. The problem is epidemic! I have always trusted Sears, but I guess that was misplaced. I will contact them on Monday and see what they say. Be careful, folks. This is a dangerous oven.

• Tami B. in Sacramento Jan 16, 2015

I have an Kenmore Electric Range model #[protected]. The front right burner has stayed on twice now after turning it off. Thank God I had a roommate that was still home after I left the house. She called me in a complete panic and said the burner is on and won't turn off. I called my mother to go to the house and see what is going on. She lives around the block from my home. They had to pull the stove out and unplug it. Well 2 months later it did the same thing when I was home. I just got done making dinner, cleaned up the kitchen and left the pans on the stove to cool off. I took a shower, cleaned up my room and started to walk back to my living room and smelled smoke. I walked in my kitchen and the knob to the stove was off but my pan was burning. I was chocking from the smoke from the pan almost catching fire. I had to again unplug the stove. I called Sears and they said there is no recall on this model #. The service tech came a day later then scheduled to repair my stove and I was not home. He called and I spoke to him about the issue and he said he can tell me what the problem is because it happens all the time with these stoves, he said it is the switch behind the knob that is faulty. He said for the service call, parts and labor will be $246.00. I asked him is he sure this is what it is and he said Yes, it happens all the time. We should not have to pay for this. I feel so lucky to be alive right now. This is a defect in the stove. Why do we have to pay for this to be fixed. I will never buy from Sears again. EVER!

Jason K. Jan 06, 2015

Our oven is a Kenmore Ultra Bake, Self Cleaning, Super Capacity glass top, model #665.[protected]. We preheated the oven on January 5th to bake some fish, but decided to fry the fish on the glass top instead. So we turn off the oven and finished cooking dinner on the stove top. After dinner I walked over by the stove and it was red hot. I pushed the off button on the oven but the broiler continued to increase in heat. I also noticed the control panel was so hot I couldn't touch it. I ran to flip the breaker and two hours later the oven had cooled to the touch. Tonight when I got home from work we flipped the breaker on to see it the oven had reset itself, before I even returned to the kitchen the broiler was on full blast without being turned on. I flipped the breaker back off. After reading the 12 pages of the similar complaints on this web site, I will be removing the stove and saving for a different brand. Seems like a class action suit would be in order with so many defective products!

rimhoff Dec 30, 2014

I hate to even admit this, but I worked for Sears for many years and was always so proud of the Kenmore brand. I won't be buying any more Kenmore products. It's sad because the Kenmore, Craftsman and Diehard brand names are all that Sears really has left. What a disappointment. Sears, you should be recoginzing this as a manufacturing defect and should compensate your customers somehow!! A little bit will go a long way!!

rimhoff Dec 30, 2014

Makes me so angry to hear that others are having the same issue. I experienced a similar situation withour Kenmore stove recently. I was baking something in the oven...the food started to burn and then we could smell an electrical burn type smell and smoke came out of the back of the stove. Once we unplugged it, the oven cooled and we pulled it out from the wall to find that the control board had caught fire. I'm so thankful I was near by when it happened. Our family spends a lot of time in the basement and this could have caused a serious accident if it had gone unnoticed for even 10 or 20 more minutes. I plan to take the steps mentioned in previous posts to submit formal complaints. Good luck to you all! Please keep us posted if anything positive results.

• Vh
    Vhagan Dec 15, 2014

This is actually a known recall issue. The Service Flash number is 46-515R8. Sears/LG are supposed to fix this for you. You need a new main control board and a lamp service kit to fix the issue. Call Sears and mention the service flash issue on the bulbs staying lit; however...I reported mine on October 3, 2014, and I am STILL waiting on the BACKORDERED lamp service kit from LG to be delivered so my fridge can be fixed. Seems LG only makes these parts as needed by people calling in to report the issue. I will never buy Kenmore/Sears/LG again!

• Cl
    cls in nc Dec 08, 2014

The element in my Kenmore range arced and burned tonight as I was baking cookies. It got so hot, it broke in pieces. My fire extinguisher did not put it out. I turned off the oven, but it continued burning. I shut the oven door again and called the fire department. Fortunately, it was out by the time help came. I had a house full of smoke, but no serious damage other than the range. I'm hesitant now, after reading of so many similar problems, to have the range repaired. I haven't reached Sears yet as it's a Sunday night, but I don't expect much satisfaction or help.

• Su
    SuziB Dec 02, 2014

I too have a black glass top Kenmore range, and the element in my oven also melted the bottom of the oven and broke in half. The thing is about 8 years old. I haven't pulled the range out from the wall yet, but I consider myself fortunate I didn't have a fire. After reading ALL the complaints against this item, I won't buy from Sears again either. I hope my kid understands he's getting a new range
    for Christmas since that's where the money will have to go.

• Er
    Eric R. B. Nov 18, 2014

Just had this happen to our family tonight. If we hadn't been here, our house would have, without question, burnt down. We had finished cooking biscuits using the convection setting on our Kenmore Elite model# 790.[protected] smooth top electric range. About 20 minutes after dinner, we were sitting in the living room and heard an odd noise coming from the kitchen. I ran to the kitchen to see flames & black smoke pouring out from behind our range... I yelled at the kids to open the doors and stand outside on the porch (it's -3 with the windchill in Ohio tonight by the way) while i ran down and flipped the breaker. I came back up and smoke was still pouring out... i used the oven door handle to pull out the stove and saw that it was still on fire inside the back of the oven. I was able to put out the fire using water from the nearby sink. After the unit cooled down, I opened the access door on the back and the mounting block for the electric cord had completely melted down. I called Sears to check on our warranty as we had purchased the Stainless side by side refrigerator, range, microwave and washer at the same time. We had purchased in November of 2007, so we were out of warranty and she said there is nothing she could do for us. She did mention for us to call Frigidaire since they manufactured the oven and might have a recall on it. I couldn't believe that they figured it's OK to endanger my family with faulty product like this. I was upset at first, but after reading here about how big of a problem this is, I can tell you I will make it my life's mission to make sure no one i know purchases anything from Sears ever again. How dare you expose my children to this death trap of an appliance. I posted some pics, but the one of the melted power block must be too big to upload? If anyone wants to see it let me know! I will be filing a CPSC report and sending an email to the feedback email address posted above.

Rick Newell Nov 02, 2014

some thing needs to be done about these problems, sears and whirlpool, should be respondsible for these problems. I have the same problem now

Rick Newell. [protected]

• La
    Lalobear Sep 08, 2014

Are these issues regarding the Kenmore electric range? What about the Gas range? Any problems with that? Mine seems to heat up too much on the front panel where the knobs are. You could get burned from touching it. Is that normal? The knobs tend to get quite hot too. Just bought this brand new!

• Cr
    craig turrentine Sep 03, 2014

Kenmore elite trio refer. #[protected] 9 / 3 / 2014

Light stays on after closing, burning lens, cover and damaging food.

Bad safety hazard and expensive repairs that did not fix the problem.

• Di
    Dingy dog Jul 28, 2014

Mine did the same thing. Kenmore sucks ###.