Resolved Kenmore Ovenbeware! don't burn your house!

S Review updated:

On Sunday May 27, 2007, I turned my Sears Kenmore oven on to preheat so I could bake cookies. I left the room for less than 5 minutes. When I returned, I realized my oven was on fire. The bottom heating element was in flames and the digital read outs on the stove top were all blank. I turned the oven off, it continued to burn, so I ran to the circuit breaker and turned it off, after a few minutes, the fire went out. My range was SO hot, it took a long time for the exterior of it to cool enough to touch. We called the manager at our local Sears, and several other people, all the way to the corporate offices. NO one would offer any satisfaction. This range was only 5 years old! We wanted them to come and see what malfunctioned and caused it to burn. They refused to do that unless we paid them to come. Since the oven was destroyed, we didn't want to sink any more money into it. We had it hauled away when our new range was delivered (not a Kenmore, and not from Sears). We do have pictures of the burned element and the serial # off the range. We hope someone will take notice and recall these ovens before someones house burns down.

Johnson Oct 28, 2006

I bought a $1000.00 Kenmore washer in July 2006. It started leaking before the return date. I had Sears come and look at the washer to fix it. Of course they said nothing was wrong with the washer. Now October 2006, the washer is leaking again. Now it is beyond the return date. I feel like I am getting taken advantage of somehow. A $1000.00 washer should not be leaking after three months of use. What should I do?

D'An
    Birmingham, Alabama

Store details: Sears Located in the Galleria Mall in Birmingham, Alabama

• Re
    reliablemrb Jul 10, 2007

It just happened to me. My Kenmore is just 3 years old and we only use the oven about twice a week. My lower element burned in half and left melted pools of metal on the bottom of the oven. I thought it was just the element so I scraped off the slag and put in a new element but while I was doing that I leaned on the bottom of the oven with about 10 pounds pf pressure and it collapsed. I spent the next 6 hours taking apart the oven and making and installing a metal bracket to hold it up and prevent it from collapsing again- something it should have had in the first place. Then I plugged the oven in and turned it on for a minute and then off. The lower element would not go off. I unplugged the oven again. I looked at a schematic which indicated it had relays and a temperature probe which i recognized as possible problem areas. I examined the relay for the lower element first. Sure enough it was stuck in the on position. I prayed it loose with a screwdriver and it works again. However, it could happen again at any time. I must watch it while using it now. It shuts itself off frequently by itself, something it has been doing infrequently for 2 years. For instance last Thanksgiving we had the turkey in the oven and the timer we set buzzed so we went to remove the cooked oven from the oven and serve it and the oven was barely warm! We had to guess at how long it had been cooked and restart the oven. I already bought the new element, spent the day fixing the bottom panel, should I now spend $200 on a new control panel with the relays on it? (you can not buy just the relays).

What to do, what to do.

• Li
    Lisa DelCampo Aug 01, 2007

This happened to me last year with our Kenmore oven. It was only three years old. I contacted Sears and Whirlpool (the manufacturer of Kenmore) and they did nothing but blame each other. I contacted my local news and I was even on TV about it. You can go to WFTV.com and to action 9 to add to the report in case it is resolved. The TV station contacted Sears and reported them to Consumer Safety, so hopefully they will check it out.

Mary Whitman Aug 06, 2007

Dear All,

The heating unit in my one-year old stove also burned and the metal melted on my Kenmore Stove. This just happen on August 5, 2007. My entire oven was in flames while the metal of the heating unit oxidized with a bright white glowing flame. Had I not entered the kitchen when I heard a fire cracker noise in the oven while preheating the very clean (like new) oven to 350 degrees, my house would have burned down. At the moment that I entered the kitchen, the smoke alarm was going off. I was able to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher but opening the oven to do so was risky. My house still smells like smoke.

Mary Whitman.

• De
    Delena M. Leonard Aug 28, 2007

I purchased a top of the line washer and dryer in September 2006 along with a 5 year protection plan. I called Sears to set up an appointment for a technician to repair my washer as when I press the on button the machine does not power up.

My husband and I checked the outlet to be sure it is live and it is, therefore the problem lies within the washer. I was told that it would be a full week before a tech could check it out. Meanwhile I have a fully loaded machine of dirty clothes along with liquid detergent sitting in the machine waiting to be washed.

According the the phone tech a washer is not considered an emergency. I feel that with the money spent to buy the machine plus the protection plan any appliance that stops working within the first year should be considered an emergency.

Sears certainly does feel that receiving their money on time is urgent. I am sure they would be quick to penalize any late payment.

I will probably not purchase any future appliances from sears.

• Co
    Courtney Puzio Aug 30, 2007

Our 5 month year old Sears-Kenmore oven's element burst into flame. I had to turn the oven off, then use our kitchen fire extinguisher on it. Boy, did Sears hear from me!

• Jr
    J. Reynolds Sep 01, 2007

We had the same problem with Sears repair department with our one year old washer (full load in the Kenmore front loading washer, would not drain, all lights flashing, door locked shut). First available time almost a week later, scheduled between 1- 5 and the repair person does not show up until 5:55PM - total waste of a day for us.

Could not fix problem, repair person stated he needed a new computer and pump, had to order from warehouse, could not get for five days. PROMISES that he would schedule the service call for Thursday morning as we had travel plans and had to leave on Thursday afternoon. NO SHOW... when we called the service department we were advised that the service call would not take place until Friday!!! POOR SERVICE, WOULD NOT BUY KENMORE AGAIN!

• Ge
    George KOOSHIAN Sep 11, 2007

My Kenmore oven is less than 5 years old and last night 9-10-07 the lower heating element would not shut off until I unplugged the oven from the wall.

• Er
    Erin Guy Sep 24, 2007

Tonight, I had a very (apparently) common problem. I turned my oven to preheat at 400 , I left the room for 5 minutes and when I came back to the kitchen, the entire oven was off. I opened the oven door and smoke poured out. Once the oven had cooled off, my husband and I looked further and saw that the bottom heating element caught fire and thankfully fizzled out. I called Sears and they said someone will be here tomorrow and that it is $67 for the service call plus parts and labor to fix it as it is past the 1 year warranty (by 40 days). I am disgusted and will be filing a complaint with the BBB and finding out how to go about pushing for a recall.

• Cw
    C Watson Sep 26, 2007

On Sunday, September 23, 2007 I turned my Sears Kenmore oven on to proheat so I could warm some meat already in the oven. I was standing in front of the oven warming some food on top of the stove when I saw a bright light coming out of the oven vent on top of the stove. I open the oven door The bottom heating element was in flames and shoot sparks every where in side the oven. Not sure what to do; I stood there a few seconds amist the smoke now coming from the oven. I was not sure if I turned the knob off; if I would be electricuted because the stove is all electric. I turned the knob to off and the flames and sparks continued for a few seconds. It had burned the element in half. I went to the Sears repair shop and told them what happen and the 2 people I was talking to immediately looked at each other. The lady at the counter gave me a 1-800 number to call. I did and the person did not respond to the problem but told me if they sent someone there to look at it, it would be an automatic 65.00 whether they could fix it or not. If not, I could apply the 65.00 towards another stove. My stove is 7 years old and there should not be a problem with it. If there are more than one complaint with similar mishaps; something should be done. What is Sears waiting for; someone to be electricuted or their house to burn down.

• Ka
    Kathy Oct 01, 2007

Same thing happened to me this past Tuesday night - my oven is only 6 years old. The same bright light, etc. The fire was right on the heating element. The Fire Dept. said this has been happening a lot.

• Cl
    Cliff Nov 04, 2007

The same thing happened to me last night (11/3/2007). I was heating up some food in the oven and within three minutes of cooking I saw a large amount of white sparks and heard sizzling of an electrical nature. I was terrified and ran to the circuit breaker to shut it off. When I returned I noticed the baking element on the right side melted in one spot. I called Sears but no one picked up since it is a Sunday. The oven is brand new. I attained it with the purchase of my house. The house was built in Nov of 2006.

This is totally unacceptable, this oven is brand new!!

• La
    Laura Burbo Nov 09, 2007

I also have problems with my Kenmore electric stove. I have replace the oven temp sensor twice and again the oven will continue to heat up beyond the set temp and i will have to pull the stove out and unplug it for it to shut off. very disgusted in this sears product, i have every appliance in my house for the last twenty years including riding lawn mowers from sears. Will never by from Sears again.

• Jw
    J. White Nov 10, 2007

Just a few days ago we had a similar incident with a Kenmore electric range. Blue arc of electricity jumped out when the range top was switched on. Called Sears and they want about $60 to come and look at it. When I told them it was a safety issue and that they ought to repair it for no cost the lady balked and said no one there would authorize that. If it was a safety problem, she said, it was my fault as I did not want to pay then to come look at it.

I have reported this to the US CPSC and if all of you have not I suggest you do so. It is quite easy by email to do this. I am also going to contact some legal council to see if there could be a class action suit on this product. There is definitely a defect and definitely a safety issue here and Sears ought to step up nad fix these defects. This is not a problem from normal wear and tear but one of, in my opinion, a defect in the product.

• De
    Debby Brown Nov 28, 2007

Yesterday my oven overheated and would not turn off until I cut the power. I was home and awake when this happened. I fear that someone will be injured. I contacted the Consumer Safety people. Any other thoughts?

• He
    helen cooley Dec 15, 2007

Same issue many are having, turned oven on to bake cookies 2 days ago & they burnt horribly, turned oven off. Today put cookies in & they were also burning within 10 minutes. Tried to turn oven off & it wouldn't turn off. Husband switched breaker off & then back on. Oven turned itself back on! Have to leave the breaker off for safety! Not sure if I want to have it repaired as may still be a danger!

Jackie Cooke Jan 26, 2008

We have just had the same fire incident as many other people on here. I was preheating the oven and then I heard a big bang and then a popping/sizzling sound and then when I turned around (thank goodness I was still in the kitchen) I noticed a flame. I ran over and shut off the oven and unplugged it. The element is burned right through and it even burned a big hole in the bake cover which is pretty thick metal. Our oven is just 2 years old!! We have Sears coming to fix another problem already (the liner finish is chipping off), but I am not sure whether I still want this oven. I will be afraid this will happen again!! I think I might try to fight with Sears to get it exchanged. I find it disgusting that Sears is hiding their heads in the sand about this whole situation. Like someone else said, what will it take someone to lose a life or their house before they do anything about it?

• Er
    Erika Zimmer Jan 30, 2008

I am another victim of kenmore stoves catching on fire. I just bought the stove in October and I bought the fancy one with the heating elements hidden to prevent food burning on the bottom. I was going to put garlic bread in the oven and for some reason the oven wouldn't turn on until I turned the burners off on the stove. I put my garlic bread in and within 5 minutes the bottom of my oven was engulfed in flames. I am grateful my husband was still in the kitchen and notcied it. We were able to get it out and no damage was done to our house. I called Sears and luckily I am still under the manufacturers warranty, I am just afraid to have them replace it with the same stove.

I will never buy any appliances from sears again first our dishwasher now this.

• Be
    Becky White Feb 02, 2008

I too, just had an oven fire on a Sears Kenmore electric range model 911.95582990 that I purchased new in June 1999. I went to turn on the oven last night and no lights came on. I opened the oven and much to my surprise, the entire inside was coated in white residue, and the entire bake element was disintegrated on the bottom of the oven! It happened sometime between when I last used it days ago, God only knows if it was while we slept or while we were not home, thankfully it was contained to the inside of the oven & didn't burn down our house! By the looks of it and how it melted, we were very lucky! Metal laying on the bottom in piles, very intense fire! Sears needs to recall these! No more Kenmore/Sears stuff for me, I've had my share with all their appliances and issues over the years. And definitely not after reading all these complaints! We are not alone!

• To
    Tom Lueders Feb 02, 2008

Today we turned our Elite oven on at 425 to make a pizza and the bottom heating element began to fuse like an arc welder. Wy wife shut off the unit and it continued... we hit the circuit breaker to stop it after pouring baking soda and extinguisher on it. I estimate it got to 600 degrees within ten minutes. The house reeks and it will cost to repair. Fortunately no one was hurt and no major damage was done.

The last complaint being made 31 MINUTES before this, I have to believe there is a total failure with Sears to address the safety issues here. Sears is letting it's responsibilities slide away- apparently consumer safety means nothing to this once-great company. I recommend a class action lawsuit, given the lack of response by Sears. Someone will get killed in a burning house!

• Se
    Seb7 Feb 02, 2008

I am one of the people that originally posted about my Kenmore Oven catching on fire. Please! Make sure you contact the Comsumer product safety commision.
    CPSC.GOV and fill out a complaint, it's quick and easy.

• We
    Wendy Grainger Feb 02, 2008

Boy, do I feel like a wuss. I was real upset because my two-year-old Kenmore Double Wall Ovens (electric self-cleaning) was misbehaving. The top oven would go on and show the "Pre Bake" sign when I turned ot on, but would ocassionally turn itself off. This was getting more common over the last month or two. Yesterday when it turned itself off, instead of just using the lower oven, I kept turning it back on. It would stay on a minute or two, then turn itself off. After doing this five or six times in a row, I was disgusted, and went to open the oven door to see if I could find the model number, and guess what? The oven had locked me out. It will open about a half-inch or less. I can't get it open, and I can't use it (obviously). But at least the bottom oven is ok. I came to this website with it in mind to let people know about this and, hopefully, to get some advice. But after reading all the other posts and realizing how many Sears Kenmore oven owners are dealing with molten elements, oven fires, damage to people and homes, and other life-threatening disasters, like I said, I'm a little embarrassed to even be complaining about something so apparently trivial as an oven that won't work and won't let me in. I hope all of you are well.

• Mi
    Mike Feb 12, 2008

My kenmore oven did the same thing the bottom element burned up and caused the whole house to fill up with brown smoke. Beware people, don't get burned because of their poor quality products!

• Lo
    lorene sikes Feb 12, 2008

my kenmore 5 yr old freestanding electric range. My range oven bottom burner came on and would not turn off. was very red . the digitable face plate would not do any thing.
    had to turn off the breaker,

Sear will not even talk about any safety issues.

• Va
    Valerie Mar 05, 2008

March 2nd, our 6 1/2 year old Kenmore Elite slide in range had the same problem. The heating element caught on fire while my husband was making lasagna. I wasn't home so didn't see it but it sounds like there's a serious problem here. He ordered a new heating element but I'm not very comfortable with having that range in my house at all.

Valerie.

• Je
    Jennifer Mar 10, 2008

When we moved into out house 8 years ago, we bought new Kenmore products -Washer/Dryer . In the last 5 years we have bought a oven, refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher all Kenmore. Last year our main board on the oven went had to buy a new one. The stainless steel refrigerator is rusting on the door panels, two shelves have broke and now my 3 year old microwave does not heat anymore. Can you say no more Kenmore products. I have called Kenmore and talked to 4 people who have given me the run around about sending a service technician out and he'll run a diagnostic on my refrigerator and microwave to see what's wrong with them. ($60.00 charge to tell me that it's rusting.) Why can't Kenmore back up their products. I am not paying anymore money for their crap. PLEASE do not by Kenmore products again.

• Ca
    Calvin Mar 20, 2008

My Kenmore electric slide-in range (Model 911.95589991) turned itself on while I was getting dressed for work on 3/20/08. I heard a crackling sound in the kitchen and saw smoke coming from what I thought was the underside of the Microwave. I turned on the vent and the smoke cleared out. I checked the Microwave and it seemed okay. I left the kitchen, only to return a few minutes later to see the heating element in the bottom of the oven glowing bright red. I checked the oven controls and they were all off - I turned the switches to different positions and back to the off position, to no avail. I had to turn the breaker off to get the oven to go off. Shortly afterwards, I turned the breaker back on and smoke started coming out of the control panel and the heating element started glowing again. I turned the breaker switch off, and left it off. Luckily, I had not left earlier for work.
    I checked with Sears Central and was told that there were no complaints or recall issues with this model.
    I will be out shopping over the next few days for a new range (not at Sears).

• Su
    Susan Mar 27, 2008

I will never, ever purchase another product from Sears or use their repair service. They don't care at all about their customers. I was hung up on and transferred from one person to another. I was promised call backs at least 3 times and no one ever called. I purchased a Bosch dishwasher from them and within a month the main curcuit board had to be replaced and it just had a foul odor. We purchased an Elite refrigerator at the same time, and the motor burned out...they came to replace it, it cost over $300 and it still doesn't work. The food had to be thrown out and they won't compensate me because I didn't purchase their $100 service plan! and they can't send a repairman out again for 3 more days! I also just received a recall on our Kenmore Microwave/Oven combo because of a fire hazzard. An absolute rip off!!! The worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Buyer beware!!

matt Mar 30, 2008

Add me to the list. Bake element sparked and we had to turn off the breaker to stop it. Has anyone had success replacing the element?

Matt Apr 16, 2008

Same issue: pop, bright white light circling lower element. Glad this thread exists, I had a hard time explaining what happened. I set the oven to preheat and when it hit 350, I opened and the cookie sheet was bending in the oven. I pulled it out and it almost looked like an acetylene torch was lit in the back (bright white light). I tossed some baking soda on, but the flame kept working it's way around. I threw the breaker downstairs but must not have been long enough because the flame was still working around the element. I even used a fire extinguisher on it and it failed to put the flame out (at this point Sears/Kenmore and Kidde are not high on my list). It was not until I pulled the plug from underneath that it went out. When it cooled down, I pulled the element out and it was damaged along with the bottom of the oven. There is a design or material issue with this oven: I am less concerned about the damage to the oven and my house, somebody needs to fix this.

Janet Apr 29, 2008

Our Kenmore range is 8.5 years old. A few minutes after turning the oven on tonight, the element caught on fire. An intense white light and flame came from the oven. The element continued to burn, melting and breaking. After dumping a box of baking soda on it, the element continued to burn intensely. The fire only went out after turning the circuit breaker off. I feel lucky that it did not happen on one of the many times I have used the oven for time bake when I am at work. I submitted a complaint to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. You should do the same. It is DANGEROUS!

jason May 13, 2008

kenmore oven, a few months outside of warranty in a brand new home. came on after i left for work but luckily my wife heard the sparks. she ran to it and noticed the bottom element was red hot and shut off the unit via circuit breaker. ive repaired appliances before and could take this one apart within a day and have it working again (be it relay and/or heating element) but who is to say this wont happen again? sounds like faulty relay and not sure if an oem replacement would do any better. likely to purchase another brand new unit but will steer clear of this one and sears. had issues with kenmore fridge as well, same age.

• Ro
    RONALD W HAYES May 16, 2008

WE PURCHASED THIS KENMORE DISHWASHER
    ULTA WASH LAST MONTH AND PAID CASH.
    $399.99 PLUS TAX AND $75.00 DELIVERY CHARGE. THIS DISHWASHER IS NOT TO MY WIFE'S LIKING SHE USES DIFFERNT CYCLE.
    LIKE SMART WASH, HIGH TEMP, HEATED DRY.
    AND SOMETIMES NORMAL WASH HIGH TEMP,
    HEATED DRY. AFTER DISHES STOP WASHING
    AND SET FOR A COUPLE OF HOUR, SHE OPENED
    THE DOOR AND THE DISHS ARE STILL DAMP. OR WET.WE HAVE A 50- GALLEN ELECTRIC WATER HEATER.THE WATER IS VERY HOT. WE HAD A GE PROFILE FOR 11 -YEARS AND EVEN UP TO THE LAST DAY OF USE YOU COULD OPEN THE DOOR AFTER THE DISHES WERE WASHED AND
    THE STEAM FROM WASHER WAS VERY HOT.
    AND THE DISHES WERE STILL HOT TO THE TOUCH. THIS WASHER DOE'SN'T COME UP TO THE GE PROFILE AT ALL. WISH WE HAD NEVER PURCHASED IT.1f

• Bu
    Burnt byoven May 17, 2008

I understand accidents happen, but after seing all these threads/posts this isn't happenchance..there's a design, or parts flaw.
    Same thing, ~2003-04 Kenmore Black freestanding glasstop oven. The oven heated up so bad it took 3 hours after pulling the plug before cool enough to touch. DANGEROUS isn't a strong enough word!! My hand is in severe pain, but what are you to do when something like this happens? You have to pull the oven out!!
    I pray my house doesn't burn down from this Kenmore oven malfunctioning again! I also Pray Kenmore makes this right. Not sure what next course of action to take, I'm livid!!

• Al
    Alex May 22, 2008

I have the same problem with Kenmore Elite. In my case, we went for a walk and in our absence the range spontaneously turned itself on, working at full heat. As a result, it partially burned a towel and a pot beside the range, almost igniting a fire in the house. Since then there is no way to turn it off but through disconnecting the breakers.

The range is obviously a source for danger to its unsuspected owners and I believe Kenmore and its distributors are fully liable for recalling them at no cost to the owners. However, Sears Canada (the company I purchased it from) insists that our case is an isolated one and therefore we should repair it at our expense. It is particularly upsetting that Sears and Kenmore ignore such complains, putting people’s lives and property in danger because of their negligence. I am considering an action against both companies to force them recalling (replacing or refunding the purchase) the range. Can you contact me at [email protected] ? I am trying to find people with the similar problem in order to prove that we are not the only one and there is obviously a serious design flaw.

• Lo
    Louise Garcia May 26, 2008

I have a kenmore range bought in 03 and was scarred to death. I was baking some enchiladas in my stove at 350 and I had them in less than 10 minutes and I could smell them and thought how quick it was cooking. It was realy hot when I got them out but was busy making a cake and put the cake in the oven and it was less than 10 minutes and I could smell the cake burning. I looked inside and could see that the stove was glowing like it was still heating up. I took the cake out and it was realy hot and was burned on top . I threw the cake out the door it was almost to hot for the hot pad and my hands. The oven started beeping and a f1 started appearing on the oven. I touched the off oven cancel and it wouldnt turn off. I started to panic . My husband called at that time and i told him about the stove he had to calm me and tell me to turn off the breaker. My house was just hot after that. He figured the next day that the stove would reset itself . And when he turned the breaker back on the oven tuned on and started to glow. After searching to see how much it would cost to have them look at it I saw complaints and others who had the same thing or worse happen. We decided that we will not buy another stove from Sears and we will junk this one cause I would hate for this to happen to someone else. I cant imagine what could have happened and I am sad that this hasnt been recalled . Does someone have to die for them to do something about it.I realy am sad cause I bought sears cause of all they do for the homemakeover show I wanted to support them cause I realy like what they do . I am scarred if they put these ovens in their homes.

• Na
    Nancy Jun 04, 2008

Kenmore/WCI/Frigidaire Stove - Model #790-91102000

I've been looking all over the web for our particular model number of this stove, haven't located it so far. I don't know the exact age, guessing 5-10 years old. The stove & oven heat to the desired temps, the pre-heat light does go on/off and the temperature light cycles on/off just fine.

Here's our problem: the outside of the stove & the control panel got really hot today while baking brownies for 18 minutes @350 degrees F. Brownies baked just fine, no error codes, no flash of white light/arcing, no melted elements. But not only did the outside of stove itself get very hot, so were the 3 WALLS OF MY KITCHEN surrounding the stove. Very scary hot walls, like they was close to catching on fire, or melting...

What if I needed to bake something for an hour? I guess my house would have burned down. Luckily, it falls under our home appliance warranty with Broward Factory Service and they come on Tuesday. I won't be baking until I know it's safe. Now on this forum, I didn't find anything about that *exact* problem of the walls heating up so much, but if anyone has any tips as to WHY this would happen, feel free to email me.

Stay safe out there...we'll be eating out for the next week, I think.

John Jun 06, 2008

I bought a Kenmore Oven 7909433 last fall. Had a ridiculous time with Sears getting it installed. Recently, when the stove wasn't on, the controller blew. Controller replaced, bake still not working. Turns out the bake element is what blew the controller. Now waiting for new bake element. It's been 4 weeks now. I have asked what is going on and don't get answers. How can an oven that is not on, suddenly have a bake element burn out? When this is finally fixed, will the problem repeat? Has the part been improved to avoid the failure? Is there something the owner can do to avoid a repeat failure? I found this site on the web and am now worried about a fire hazard. It would be nice to get some answers, or is Sears going to wait till someone dies in a fire to do something? Submitting a complaint with BBB.

Jody Wagner Jun 17, 2008

My Kenmore oven heating element ignited last night during cooking resulting in a glowing white flame that moved along the heating element. The oven would not turn off until the breaker was turned off, and after that it took quite some time to cool off and put out fire on element. The next day, once the oven cooled, I reached in and the section of element that had burned broke right off. Serious fire hazard. Filed a complaint at http://www.cpsc.gov. Oven is about 5-7 years old.

• Je
    Jesse Martinez Jul 02, 2008

We've had our Kenmore Stove for about 4-5 years now and we rarely use our oven. I got up one night to get a drink of water and I noticed heat coming from the stove as I walked by. I checked the knobs and they were all in the off position. I turned it on then off again and waited to see if it cooled down, which it did. A couple of days later as I left for work early in the morning I felt the heat again coming from the stove which caused me to take this situation more serious. I never thought something like this could happen and as I read all of these complaints I'm dissapointed in that it isn't taken more seriously by Sears or Kenmore to notify or fix these problems.