JC Penneyanti reflective coating on glasses failing

S

I ordered glasses with the anti-reflective coating (which they said would improve clarity). About 6 months later, the glasses started blurring so I returned to the JC Penney Optical Dept. and was told the anti-reflective coating was failing. Then I was told that I had to order and pay for new lenses. I asked why I had to pay for complete new lenses when their product was failing. Just a shrug of the shoulder and asked if I wanted to order new lenses. I said, no. Called JCP Corporate office and was told that they lease that space out to US Vision and to call them. So I did. I was told to send the glasses back to them so they could determine if indeed the coating was failing. If so, they would replace them, If not, I had to buy new lenses. (What do you think the odds of replacement happening) I said I had gone to the store and they said the coating was failing and then I asked how I was suppose to drive or even see if I sent the glasses back. They said that was the only option. So I called JCP Corporate back and they said they had no say over how US Vision handles customer service. I said I have always shopped at JCP and because of this I would never shop in their stores again. They didn't seem to care if they lost a customer. I asked if I could get my $65 I paid for the coating back and was told no. So for $65, JCP has lost a customer forever. The Photo Dept. is also leased out. If you have received good customer service from JCP, do not go to the Optical Dept.

• Ac
    ACopt Apr 06, 2012

AR (anti-reflective) is one of those things you have to be extra careful with. No heat source, no cleaning the lens unless it's wet and you must use their special cloth and you must be light handed when you wipe them dry. Otherwise- they'll scratch up. Always buy the warranty plan- it's worth it encase something like this happens. Better yet- if glare isn't a problem for you- then leave the AR off. The AR quality of JCP (USvision) is not great. It's good- but not great.

• Li
    LindsayLou Nov 10, 2009

That is bad service. Did you get the insurance on your glasses? That is something you should always do, even if you have to pay more. In the meantime, I would recommend going to a quality, good reputation glasses store.