ADVERTISIMENT

Home Depottime-wasting call to set-up "free water test" appointment...

J Review updated:

Around 5:00PM on Wednesday, July 19, 2017, a woman called asking to speak to me by name, because I recently purchased a microwave oven from Home Depot, which qualified me for a free, in-home water test. A technician would test the water in any fixture in my house and not only would I receive the test results but also a $20 Home Depot gift card, or if I preferred, a package of cleaning supplies valued at over $40.00; it would be my choice as the tech would have both with him. She asked when I would be available for the test because a tech was in my neighborhood tonight and tomorrow with available times." That's when she finally paused for me to ask a few questions.

Always suspicious of random calls and scams I asked her to confirm that she was calling from Home Depot, she said she was with a testing company working with Home Depot to provide this free service. I asked what they were trying to sell, she said they were absolutely not selling anything but the tech would have information about a wide range of products and services available at my local Home Depot. She asked if I had a water filtration system or ever bought bottled water. Yes, yes. "So why wouldn't you take advantage of a free water test and get a gift card?" she asked. With the test results I could make good decisions for my family because the results could change the water we drink, bathe in, wash our clothes..."the results could change my life." It wasn't until she had her water tested that she "realized it was causing her eczema."

"You know what? Are you home now? The tech in your area actually has an opening tonight." She just needed to verify the information she had. She had my name, the name of my parents who own the house, and my email address. After confirming again that I was available in a couple hours she said she had to put me on hold to get authorization from her manager. She put me on hold for almost a minute and then came back on to confirm the size of my house and if I had a spouse who would also be there.

I asked why did everyone in my household have to be there for a water test? "Oh, it's okay, hold on again here's my manager." Another minute on hold, "That appointment was taken sir, I'm going to have to check the schedule for the next available time and call you back." I told her that since we already spent so much time and since she put me on hold twice already I wouldn't mind waiting for her to check the schedule, "how much longer could that take?" "Well I've already taken enough of your valuable time." So I said I would wait. "Well it might take a few minutes, she needed to confirm with the tech and then get the approval from her manager, so I will call you back and schedule the appointment." "I rather wait so I can just put it in my schedule. You said you had appointments tomorrow?"

"Well sir, I'm just going to have to call you back. I have all your information, I'll call you back as soon as I get the tech's schedule. Thanks for shopping at Home Depot." Click.

What kind of scam did I just fall victim to? Did I just sign-up for something I don't really want like the days when long distance re-sellers would call to change your long distance telephone carrier? Some 36-hours later no call. I must have been taken for something. Does anyone know for what? How did this woman know I bought a microwave oven online at Home Depot? Who gave her my name, address, telephone number, my parents' names?

• Ka
    Katrina Neilen Oct 25, 2021

Well I haven’t purchased anything from Home Depot and they called me. I agreed to have the water test done three Fridays ago because I figured what’s it gonna hurt I’ll get a free $20 gift card. Well they never showed up in the excuse was the guys wife went into labor and they had no one else to send. So they rescheduled me another Friday night sat home nobody showed up again. Was called on Sunday by some guy apologizing and said that they will double the gift card if I will sign up so stupid me decided what the hell 40 bucks at Home Depot not a bad deal. Here it is Monday night half an hour after they were supposed to be here. I called the number that I was told to call if they didn’t show Up and was told I’m so sorry we’re very low staffed in your area then what the F are they even bothering me for? If you don’t have staff don’t make appointments. I will not be shopping at Home Depot anymore. I will be going to Lowe’s.

• Ga
    gae1543 Sep 27, 2021

I can tell you what happened, I was just calling the same sort of company. They send a tech to your home to test the water, give you a sales pitch, and sell you water filtration systems for the whole home or for the drinking water. Since she saw that you were suspicious about questions, she figured you would not be worth sending someone, and she squirreled away.

• Ne
    New to California Apr 30, 2021

I have aggressively been called from a person who claims to be from home depot after I purchased a washing machine . She leaves messages that I must call her back . This has been going on for a year even after blocking numbers . Last week while in home depot a lady approached I said I don't want my water tested she stated with covid and everything going on I need to consider getting my water tested . Really scare tactics.

Comment Guidelines