Hertzunethical behaviour/sales tactics

K

Jan 26, 2017 I made a Hertz reservation through Hotwire for a "full size" car that would hold 5 people, 2 large suitcases and 2 small suitcases and paid $445.30 USD. I was told by a Hertz mgr at the Houston airport over the phone that day, that the GPS would be extra and that would be arranged when we picked up the car, no need to reserve one. I saw online that the GPS could be approx. $10/day. On Feb 2nd, we arrived at the Hertz counter and the sales lady immediately tried to upgrade us to an SUV for $700, I said "no - I want the car that I reserved through Hotwire for the $445.30" and showed her my Hotwire reservation sheet. She said "OK" and arranged for GPS and the re-fueling service, the new price shown was $528.99. I agreed and we left in our Toyota Camry. We had a good trip and the car was very good. The problem arose when I noticed the Hertz charge on my credit card for $528.99 WAS IN ADDITION TO THE HOTWIRE FEE OF $445.30!!! For a grand total of $974.38!!! I called Hertz customer service today, explaining our situation and we were reimbursed $210 + taxes for the 'car upgrade' they claim we received. We have informed Hertz that we DO NOT appreciate the deceptive sales practices of the Hertz counter employee. We ended up paying almost DOUBLE the price that we had expected and we will be informing others of this experience with this company.