Complaints & Reviews

the card company stole my social security number and refuses to finalize my attempt to obtain the service (to give me a card number)

this pre-paid credit card was to contain $50
it had to be paid in cash
when tried to register over the phone, i unwittingly provided my social security number
was forwarded to the activation clerk who told me their computer system was slow and to hang up and call back in 5 minutes
when i called back i was told there was a "bad french error, goodbye"
tried again and it happened again
i realized it was a scam
i would like my $50 back and my $9 activation fee refunded.

alternative advice

Sorry for your regrets regarding purchasing Green Dot Cards or Money Pak but there is alternative way of...

shady business practices

Green Dot online seems like a good deal on the outside but once you sign up with them they say that it takes around 7 to 10 days to receive the card you can receive your card faster with rush service. I elected the rush service I was told it would be ship to me in two days, it actually took longer then the standard shipping rate for me actually to receive the card in hand. This is after I had to call back about and hassle the company on the fact they total screwed up the order and the fact that I ordered rush service. The person I talk to was a manager who said that he would re-send the card out and actually had the nerve to try and recharge me for the rush fee, I told him that he should refund the price of the shipping since they completely blew the shipping in-the first place, we had to compromises and I did not get a refund and he paid for the rush reshipping charge.

A host of smaller problems later I thought everything was ok I had made some deposits with a money pack and everything went good. I needed to move some money from one of my accounts and I noticed that Green Dot offered a ACH Transfer service so I thought this would be a straight forward process so I gathered all the important information and I sent my bank the information (Green Dot is extremely cryptic about how this process works). My bank processed the wire transfer and then I checked my Green Dot account and nothing I called Green Dot they said there had been no activity on my account and showed no income deposits. Then a Green Dot Supervisor named Michelle (Batch ID #4370) got on the phone and she and I called my bank and spoke with the branch manager who in turn told her, that the the wire has been completed and the money had been taking out of our customers account . Michelle verified with my banks branch manager the routing and account numbers used for the transfer after the verification see didn't know what was going on and asked me to wait until the next day to see if it clears. I told her that I needed to speak with another manager higher than her and then I asked for a area manager I was put on hold (It took them 30 to 40 minutes to find someone) once they they got back to me a Green Dot Customer Service Area Manager named Ann picked up the phone and proceeded to inform me that she was research the problem while I was on hold. She told me that all incoming wires needed to be received by (9) nine am and that mine was going into my account the following day I was not to happy about this considering it only takes (2) two hours to complete a wire transfer but anyway I knew where my money was.

The following day I went to the ATM to check my Green Dot Account and low and behold it was empty I promptly called Green Dot Customer Service and asked for Ann (this after I battle the phone system for 30 minutes). Ann was not available but an Green Dot Area Manager ( of what area I don't know he would not specify) a man named Edward proceed to tell me that he did not see any income transfers and that he was stuck and did not have any data to work with. I explained to him the situation and asked him where are my funds he could not give an answer when, I explained to him that a national bank, two sets of managers from two different banking intuitions acknowledge the fact that money has been moved from on place to another and, A Green Dot Customer Service Area Manager actually admitted that the funds were present at the Green Dot facilities the only thing he could say is don't want to give you wrong information but could you call back tomorrow and see if it has posted but I don't think it will I told him I would be making a complaint against there company with the U.S. Government.

Needless to say it is not worth it to purchase one of this cards for any reason your going to get screwed some how and it's just going to be a GIANT waste of time I don't even know if I am going to get my money back. SCREW GREEN DOT

• Se
    SEARCHENGINE496 Sep 10, 2010

I FEEL THE PAIN OF THE CUSTOMER HERE AND ALL OF THE PEOPLE WHO GET THE GREEN SCREW JOB OF ALL THE LIES THAT GREEN DOT GIVES WHEN YOU WANT YOUR FUNDS BACK. I TRIED MYSELF TO GET MY 3000.00 DOLLARS BACK AFTER NOT RECIEVING MY ITEM PURCHESED WITH MY GREEN DOT VISA. IT TOOK ME OVER SIX MONTHS OF COMPLAINING AND SENDING MY DOCUMENTAIN OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO GET THE MONEY BACK. I WADED THROUGH A TONS OF LIES UNTIL I TOLD THEM MY PURCHACE IS FEDERALLY INSURED BY LAW AND WAS HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE.

mattcom Feb 16, 2011

i want to do a wire transfer but i cant figure out if my visa green dot even will let me transfer funds to wells Fargo..?? anyone got any info that could help me out it is imperative that I send the funds immediately

fake checks!

When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. This is even more proof of that saying. About 1 month & 1 week ago my cousin called me all excited about getting a check for $950 from GDE. She cashed her check, no problem, oddly enough she even checked with her Bank, which she was told it's a REAL check. My Fiance and I, who have a baby on the way, figured hey, let's try it! So we filled out the form, too. Yesterday he got his check for the amount of $2, 007.93. We figured hey, cool, we can catch up on some bills and put the rest to our wedding! That is until our Bank told us that the check is not only fake, BUT, US Bank (Which, if you've gotten checks from the "company" you know it's drawn on US bank!) and MoneyGram (Also listed on the check) no longer do business together. AND that the check number was cashed in 2003 BUT for a much smaller amount. Needless to say, we were very upset. I have never read any complaints about GreenDotMail.Com, guess I should have been searching for GDE all along. But, the bank also informed us that if we attempt to cash it that he would go to jail for a bad check, which we both find odd cause it's not really his fault, but, it's FL law, I suppose. We turned everything over to the police, since, thats what we asked to do. HOPEFULLY something gets figured out here. We'll see. But, I guess if you get a check less than 1, 000 it will be cashed??? By WalMart or your bank! If it's over 1, 000, then forget even trying, you'll go to jail and the "company" GDE will just use your Social for whatever they'd like!

• Ki
    KIWI73703 Jun 18, 2009

so I'm curious if your friend check went through?

• Ig
    I got scamed Jun 30, 2009

This is sad because as of today I just recevied a check in the amount of 946.00... and broke as I am its temping for me to cash this check but now that I have read these complaints... I tore the check up. Thanks for the warnnings about this FAKE company.

fake check

On 04/24/09 I received a fake check for 2017.48. My bank verified it was a fake and went on the website and start pulling up all the complaints on this business. They said in the letter that it was a cash grant and to send green dot back 200.10 on a greendot card and fax it to them. I have reported it to the credit agencies but it would really be lovely if the authorities would catch up with these dishonest people. (Man can't see it all but GOD does and he knows you and you will be punished and most of the time your families too!)

• Je
    jeff Apr 27, 2009

I got one of these and tried calling US bank to see if the check was real. They said they would not verifie the check.I also called money gram who was used for the transaction they would not verifie anything, even when I had my bank call direct the would not help.These banks and other companies are helping theses scams go through because they make mony as well when you get charged for the bounced check.I think people should stop doing bussines with these companies and banks that protected theses scamers.They are not giving out any info that could be a risk to someone by telling you if a check with there name on it is fake.

• Co
    concerned daddy Apr 27, 2009

yea i agree, these unethical sons of [censor]ezs, or whoever that ### scam artist is. I hope her stupid azz gets caught, because people don't know how hard it is these days to make a living. they sent my wife tht same stupid fake azz shitz. I am so glad i convinced her not to cash it, cause i know she would have been in a lot of shitz. These banks too need to step up to the plate and help catch those idiots and help provide information to the victims. Some times an innocent person who knows nothing and has no common sense that they are being scammed get caught up in that BS and it is so forkin unfair. I hope their ### azzez get what's coming to them mother suckerez

• Ks
    KsMom May 01, 2009

Great I'm screwed huh.I thought it was to good to be true I am disabled with 5 kids and got let go from my job in Feb. I cashed the check and bought envelopes and ran off 400 copies but luclly that's all I have done so I will only be out 80.00 but it really sucks I folded all of them tonite.Are there any real work from homw jobs.

• Sh
    Shell Jun 05, 2009

That is awful beyond belief !! There are legitimate work at home jobs to be found if you do all the backround checks and be thorough beyond belief ...

• Su
    Sue C. Argo Aug 28, 2009

Today I received a check for $957.71. I am always skeptical, because I think no one gives you something for free...Is that the case with this?????

non manageable accounting

This stupid greendot crap is unbelievable. After purchasing a reloadable greendot visa and faxing all my...

can't access money/use card/get a live cust. service rep

I just purchased a Walmart MoneyCard/Visa Prepaid Card last month as a gift, not realizing that the...

unauthorized billing

First, I know this is really long. OK, it's a novel, but my ordeal with this company has been ongoing...

at home work

I received a card in the mail stating that they were looking for people to hire to work out of their home...

fraudulent practices

Well, in short I'm not happy with a credit card company that asks for your social security number over the phone, and then informs you electronically that your number is invalid. You cannot get your account started, and when you think you can by (giving the number) the phone call goes nowhere. It seems that many people are writing about this alleged credit card company and the losses are building up financially.

In addition, the account number sent is only 12 digits long when in fact the one the electronic message asks for is 16 digits long. There should be a more direct way of talking to these people, not their electronic message system. I don't know presently whether I can get my refund because I keep getting the runaround. I would not chose this company if I had to do it again. Moreover, it's been more then two weeks since I ordered and my card has not arrived. They want you to put your whole paycheck into their account. Don't do it. It's too risky!!!

• Jb
    jblack Apr 04, 2009

What is going on with Greendot on line.com...? Why i cant get a prepaid cc? who the hell is sleeping on the helm? do we have to call the BBB?

• Jb
    jblack Apr 04, 2009

THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!

CANT SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS/

WHY THEY ADVERTISE THAT THEY CAN GIVE YOU A CARD AND WHEN YOU TRY TO GET IT, NOTHING!!

VERY DISAPPOINTED.

my refund is not returned

I had purchased a Green Dot card on March 24, 2009. I had put money on the money pack card from my Federal Income Tax. I put 45 dollars on the card. My prepaided rush card was not part of their prepaid cards so my money would not go on there. I call Green Dot the same day and I am still waiting on my money. They told me I will recieved my money within 7-10 business days. It been 2 weeks, that is just not right. They are bascially getting people money, that why you can not get a refund from the store. I say somebody need to make money off them by getting our pocket money back.

• Qe
    qeutiepei Jun 08, 2009

Write the Better Business Bureau in Georgia. Or file a proper complaint with the Ghost Company in California. Someone asked how to reach a real person on this card. when they come on and ask english or spanish do not press anything. When it asks the nature of your account press 1, then press 2, enter card # then enter zip code. listen to automation and press 3. This company will not cooperate with you to return your money in an orderly fashion. They are not an american company tho the main office is out of California. There is no one in California to talk to. I have had several supervisors hang up on me. To file a proper complaint, write Green Dot Visa, PO Box 1187, Monrovia, Ca, 91017.
    Comments United States Your complaint has been received and routed to the following BBB: BBB of W. Georgia-E. Alabama & S.W. Georgia (Columbus, GA)
    500 12th Street
    Columbus, GA 31901
    Phone: (706)324-0712
    Fax: (706)324-2181
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: www.columbus-ga.bbb.org
    Please contact the BBB directly if you have questions about your complaint.

• Je
    Jerseyskater Apr 10, 2011

GRWWN DOY SUCKS MAJOR BALLS

• Ta
    Tammie pakacki Jun 11, 2014

I was told I would receive a check back for 125.00 and only received 21.50 I would like to know where the rest of my balance is thank you tammie pakacki

money was taken off card and I had card in my possession

I had put $60.00 Dollars on my card March 12, 2009 and on Friday March 13, 2009 before noon the money was taken out for gas and Caller ID? I had my card in my possession at time of these so called transactions! I would like my money returned to me now. Sandra Mendez 12433 Firestone Blvd Norwalk Ca 90650 My Account #[protected] Exp 8/10 Green dot gold Visa Thank you Sandra Mendez My e-mail address is [protected]@yahoo.com

• Mi
    Mike Jul 03, 2009

Umm.. ONE BIG THING.. is dont ever publish your personal information like that.. You should try to get complaint boards to take your private information down...
    I have a greenDot issue too, so anyone who is willing to tell me about it in detail, please email me at:
    [email protected]

I know I have a way to get this addressed at last...
    Regards,
    Mike

• Do
    don brun Nov 15, 2010

direct deposit was never put on card

stol my money on my card I put in $20.00 on [protected] and today I dont have any money on my card.

I put $20.00 on my greendot card on 03-18-2009 and I when to check my card to see if it work I try buying...

money not available

Not until after you made your "non-refundable" payment and receive your receipt for reloading their prepaid "greendot refill card" do you learn that you cannot even log in to add the funds for 60 minutes. If you purchase the refill card because you need to pay a bill online such as to get a service turned back on that was overdue, you will add an hour wait to the time it takes to have that service restored.

CVS, Walmart, and others do not have this restriction, only Walgreens.

• Ni
    Nitehawke May 11, 2009

I also found this out the hard way quite some time ago. Never have been able to figure it out!

returned my money

Green dot refunded me my money... Thanks green dot on 03-02-2009 so be patient maybe they are sincere but overloaded... Sorry for the complaint green dot but you really need to get it together. It takes 2 seconds to take our money now give us a live support team in case of a mishap...

• Cu
    cuddles2009 Mar 02, 2009

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• Ba
    barbara Apr 03, 2009

I hsve a prepaid Visa from you guys. My understanding was that if you added money once a month that there was no monthly fee. I see a monthly charge on my card and I'd like to know why!

• Ni
    Nitehawke May 11, 2009

Barbara, you will find a list of the fees for each type of card on Greendot's website Here: https://www.greendotonline.com/Contents/Products.aspx#Fees_English

It very clearly states that there is a MONTHLY maintenance fee of $4.95

You apparently mis-read the TOS.

• Ex
    expresspackage Mar 26, 2010

cuddes must work for greendot.com because people dont usually post comments like this after finally getting their money back. They just sigh with relief and determine not to deal with the company again.

JOSHLEND PETERSON Jul 18, 2010

I PUT 20.00 ON MY CARD ON 07-18-2010 AND IT SAYS THAT I DONT HAVE THE 20.00 I WANT MY MONEY BACK ON MY CARD TODAY!!!

JOSHLEND PETERSON Jul 18, 2010

WHY IS THIS GOING ON?

stole my money

On 02/06/09 at Rite Aid on Cherry and Bancroft I went to reload my GreenDot prepaid card not realizing it expired on 01/2009. It took the reload, but when I tried to use it to pay my bill, this is when it came to my attention. When I called Rite Aid, they referred me to GreenDot, where there is not one live person to speak with. Then I received another card in the mail. It was a mastercard, so I was thinking maybe they loaded my balance of 60.00 on that card so I tried using it and it said zero. So I called Rite Aid back to see if they had a live support number and they gave me a number where I reached a live operator and she said they could not transfer the balance of a Visa to a Mastercard so she would have to send me a refund and this was in the middle of Febuary and I still have not received my refund nor can I get in touch with anyone live...So basically they stole my money that I really need for a bill.

• To
    tony Apr 10, 2009

i bought i green dot premier card today and i activated it over the phone but i got a live person and he gave me a sight to go to to get my $10 rebate but the stupis site doesnt even exist they stole bout $30 from me and i cant get it back i needed that money to pay a bill for college. axia college of the university of phoenix online and now i wont have enough to pay more on it this card is a rip off dont ever get one stick to the lesser greendot non reloadable bill pay cards goes up to $300 but they wint overcharge u and u get the card instantly it comes in the packet only buy thees kind of cards when dealing with the greendot company. if green dot is reading this then call me at 541-573-7841 cause i am peeved!!!

• Li
    littlebit May 13, 2009

This outfit is a nightmare. I have never been able to talk to a live person. I went yesterday and bought a reload amount for $250.oo and it accepted it when I activated it, and I payed some bills, but it had been so long since I used it, I have forgotton my PIn # to use at ATM machine. I tried calling and get the voice mail prompts and tells me to go to the website to reset your pin number. Trouble is, it ask for your current pin in order to change it!!!DAH I wouldnt need to reset it if I had the current one. Oh well at least I can pay bills on it. You would think that this company probably does pretty good business for the less fortunate one like me with credit issues, so I am amazed that they don't kave an operator to take care of their customers. VERY POORLY MANAGEMENT WITH THIS COMPANY. I don't think they will be around too much longer.

• Ou
    OUT SPOKEN IMAGES Jun 29, 2009

I THINK THEY SHOULD PAY YOU TO HOLD YOUR MONEY,
    NOT PAY THEM A MONTHLY FEE...AND FEES...AND FEESSSS...
    OBAMA NATION NEEDS TO TAKE FURTHER ACTION TO TAKE CONTROL OF THE SITUIATION, THEY NEED TO TAKE CONTROL OF THE BANKS WHO DO THEIR
    BEST TO DESTROY THE LOW AND MEDIUM INCOME FAMLIES WITH THEIR
    ILL PRACTICE OF BIGEST DRAW FIRST AND BOUNCE THE SMALL DRAWS
    I JUST WICH SOME ONE IN LIFE WOULD GET A GOOD CLUE ON THIS..
    SOMETIME WE RACE THE BANK AND THEY CAN CHOOSE TO DEPOSIT
    OR HOLD FOR A WHILE?????QUE PASA????AND WHO'S IS GETTING
    BAILED OUT???????????????NOT ME, OR YOU

• Ha
    hansgrujewer Jun 29, 2009

Here's a secret. You know how George Bush turned a blind eye to all the price gouging and consumer screwing by the oil companies? Because he was in bed with them?

Barack Obama, banks, same deal.

• Ou
    OUT SPOKEN IMAGES Jun 29, 2009

I'M FROM TEXAS AND HAVE NOT FOUND ONE PERSON THAT VOTED
    FOR THE BLACK GUY. HOW DID HE GET IN?????BANKS???

• Cr
    crystasl Mar 27, 2011

someone stolen my account in formation my name is crystal king my balance is 2369.41 i sent all my identification well i faxed this on the 12 of this month my card was stolen on the 11 and today is the 25th they still foe some reason think they have a say i9n not giving me or transferuing my funds to amy bank account or even giving me my money i m so stressed out cant stop crying they are con artest

no live customer support and fees to talk to a machine.

I was told that activating a second would cost $19.00 and if I contact
the web site within 24 hours I would receive $10.00 rebate for adding the second card. I contacted the website as told but was not able to get the rebate page as promised, then I called customer service to complain and was sent from one recorded message to another with no human contact.
Greendot is a very unscrupulous company and should be made to meet the standards of ethics that will be of greater help to customers instead of taking advantage of people who have credit problems and can't get treditional credit cards

premier rebate

Purched insurance theft or loss protection .

i was told $20.00 with $10.00 returned by visiting above site. The $10.00 was not returned to my account.

RFN# [protected]-0799

• So
    sonia Mar 12, 2009

They tried to get over on me but what i did was call back to the activation line and put back in my inofrmation and when the computer says card is not valid still continue until it kicks you to an operator .Then i told him about the scam and he said he was going to credit my account automatic and that it should be there after one business day then i asked for a 1-800 number and he tried to say it so fast but i made him repeat it just in case it was not on there and it is 1-877-434-3578. i wasnt gonig for being scammed dont let it be on there in one day!!!

james 2245 May 05, 2011

hi
    well i buy a walmart vista pre paid can and it was stole and some one went to wal mart and buy a wal mart birthday money card and then took $106.00 off my card i called the company and i was told all the run arounds they can give to me as i like to make a point of just any one can take this card and buy some thing with out any ID wal mart will not stand good for the money stole and so as well as the company of the green dot vista card pre paid ones but they charge you $3.00 to get a new card plus other fees i did call the number on the card and got nothing as usely i like to say wal mart is not hurting for money as they also tell you when you buy the card if any reason it is lose or stole they will place the money on the card as i was please do not belive this it is a scam i say as of this day i will not buy one from wal mart ever this is a WALMART VISTA PREPAID CARD if you like to i will place my web up and post it [email protected] please help me i am a handy cap male on low income and this money was to help me buy food for me and my family

overcharged

After having a Green Dot card for some time, I was offered a Green Dot Premier membership. The enrollment fee for this was 19.95 but if you signed up that day you would get 10.00 credit to your account if you sent an email to [protected]@greendotcorp.com with the correct information. This was in October, they charged me the 19.95, I never saw the $10.00 credit.

In addition, the monthly fee for the Premier membership is advertised 9.95, or 4.95 is you direct deposit more than 750 per month. My paychecks are currently direct deposited on to this card and total more than 1800 per month. Yet, I am still charged the 9.95 per month. The numerous times I have tried to contact their customer service, I have been unsuccessful, it only has automated options. This company is taking advantage of people who do not have many banking options, I would not recommend them to anyone.

not uninformed of the card

I went to Rite Aid. to buy a greendot.com card and they explained the proceed of the card. On the first of this month brought a greendot.com debit card, I put about $20.00 on the card, and they told me, the card is temporary and they told me, that I will recieved a permanent card, but it's a joke. I will to file report to consumer affair about this solution.

• Fr
    Francis Buck Aug 30, 2010

I'm sorry but this is ignorant. Just because a product is sold at a store doesn't mean everyone is going to know every detail of it. If maybe we had a section dedicated to the cards and someone trained to know every detail then yes...We sell the stuff. We dont' make it. We don't use it. We don't taste or smell it. We're just cashiers checking you out for what you buy. They probably told you that information because it's what they were told it does.