Complaints & Reviews

Green Dot Grant Programcheck scam

My wife received one of these scam checks in the mail for 958.22. The attached letter sent by a "Linda Spaulding" promised that my wife had been selected to receive a $10, 000 cash grant. This "Linda Spaulding" claims to be at the "Green Dot Grant Program" After checking around and doing some investigating online and finding this site. It is clear this is a BIG FAT SCAM. BE WARNED YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET A GRANT OF ANY KIND THAT YOU DID NOT PROPERLY APPLY FOR!!!

The old saying "If it sounds to good to be true it probably is" was right in this case. What burns me is there are a lot of folks my wife and I included that could actually use money like this, and by the grace of God we did not get burned. DONT BE A VICTIM. The letter and check LOOK and SOUND legit, but it is a SCAM.

• Be
      Bemsie Dec 23, 2010

This is the second check I have received in 2 years and the first time I got lucky. I happened to stop a police officer and asked him if the check was legit and he told me if I went to the bank to cash it I could possibly be arrested for trying to cash a bad check. Everyone please beware, right now I believe we are all seeing or experiencing hard times! These checks always come when money is very short, but trust in God and he will help you out of any bad situation.

Green Dot Prepaid Visathey are a scam/rip off

I purchased a Green Dot prepaid credit card over a year ago, and has never been able to use it, because the company always indicate that it is declined to any store, hotel, etc. and the customer is never able to speak with a representative to handle the problem. You are either placed on hold indefinitely or no one is available. It has been over a year now, and the money I placed on the card(s) has now been eaten up by their "service fees", even though I never used them! I called to cancel the card(s) and a non-english speaking man had the audacity to tell me that the cards has an "over-draft" charge on them, for their monthly service fees! Please expose this and other scams like it!
    Thank-you.

Greendotfraudulent check

I received a check from US Bank but issued from the Greendot Grant Program. It was in the amount of $957.71 and I was informed that I had been selected to receive a $10, 000 grant and that after I gave Linda Spaulding her check for $403.00 for her commission for finding me this grant that I would receive the second check with the rest of the money ($9, 042.29). I immediately googled the Greendot grant program and this is what I found. So we called Moneygram which is who the check is done by and the lady informed us that they stopped making checks for US Bank over a year ago. So this is definitely a scam. Please beware. Trust me I was tempted but had to do the research first. The money would have been wonderful, to be able to pay off bills and be able to get the larger car we need since we are expecting our third child and our other two children are still in car seats. I hope this helps someone.

Green Dot Prepaid Visacan't get my card verified

i bought a green dot prepaid visa card from wal mart today, it was 3.95 for the card, and i put 50 dollars on the card. when we called to activate it, the lady said that she couldn't verify the information. i needed the card immediately, and i asked why she couldn't verify it. she couldn't give me a reason. and why do they ask for your ssn#??? there is no credit check, its a cash only deal. they said that they'd mail out a check, but i don't understand all this stuff about them needing all this information. we'll see if i actually get the check or not.

• Km
            KMG6871 Sep 09, 2009

Let me explain to you, first of all when you purchase ANY greendot prepaid card it is a temporary card and you cannot use the card until verification of who you are is given. This is for your protection and u can do that by going to there website or calling the # on the back of the card. Always get online and research before purchasing any credit or debit cards the fine print is important. I have a green dot Visa and it has been great of course I don't use it on everything I see in the store. You have to be money smart about any kind of use with a credit or debit card period. I hope this helps. The other thing is with a temporary card you can only use it on merchandise that doesn't require a pin# another fine print you probaly did not read. If you go online you can read their fees and get all the disclosures best of luck next time.

Greendotfake grant check

Received a check drawn on usbank official check # [protected], issued by moneygram
          Payment systems, inc. p. o. box 9476, minneapolis, mn 55480 - location 2514635, signed
          By jennifer malo (cornell enterprises) check amount $951.74. they ask me to purchase
          A greendot moneypak, load it and send $400.00 to fax#[protected]/[protected] or
          Send moneypak # online @ www.sendgreendot.com w/merchant id#5075.
          Is this for real or a scam. don

• Ar
              Arthur Daniels Feb 02, 2010

I received a check by the same people as listed in the above complaint as listed by Marilyn Ritchie, a broker with GREENDOT Aid Plan issued in Nov of 2009. The check was for 979.45. I thought it was bogus and laid it aside. Things have gotten worse and I cashed it today 2/2/10. loaded the card and am running into fraud alerts. Will talk to the bank and not spend the money until I get a clearance that it isn't bad. Will follow up and let you know what happens.

Sincerely,

Arthur Daniels

Green Dot — lost funds

I purchased two $500 Money Pak cards for Green Dot on August 10, 2009. One at 4:13 PM and one at 4:15 PM...

Green Dot Grant Programscam/fake check

I checked my post office box today for the first time in a month. Been to busy running to hospital over my grandson who was recently diagnosed with Lymphblastic Lymphoma Luekemia. Today I find a check from the one and only Linda Spaulding. At first you think, holy cow...finally a break. Good thing I came to my senses and went online to verify. I went to the Better Business Bureau website and found nothing, finally I typed in her name and poof ** here I find all of you. I can not thank you enough for sharing your personal ordeal. This saved me lots. I had decided that if I did not find any information online then I would take it to a seperate bank for verification, but like the one guy said, his wife did the same thing and found nothing. More of this scam needs to get out. With the economy in the state that it is in, I am sure there will be several people fall scam to her and this company; and end up worse than they started.

May God Bless and protect us.

Very thankful Nana in Tennessee

Green Dot Moneypak — stolen money

I bought the moneypak with the amount of $500 from green dot at a local walgreen for the first time on June...

Green Dotbad check

I recieved a check from them look so real. It says it was a grant that i applied for i cashed some of it deposit most of it to my bank what to do. The check was for 943.00 dollars.

• Bo
                  bobtheman Jul 25, 2009

So you deposited a check you never asked for and didn't know what it was?

Green Dot Money Pak — part of a scam

Do not use Green dot money paks to buy anything online. If a site is asking you to purchase anything with the...

Greendotlinda spaulding

hello. my wife got a letter form linda spaulding saying she was to receive a grant for 10, 000.00 she sent her a check for 800.00 and said her fee for getting her the grant would be 409.00 well she cashed the check at our bank they even went over there list to make sure the check was good but come to find out its worthless now we have to pay the bank 800.00 for cashing it in the first place. now this really sucks hopes this helps everybody out guess we learn from our mistakes Bill Grissom Colorado

hillmanminx Jul 21, 2009

I wish that I'd had an idea about all this! I had no idea a bank could even cash a counterfeit check, let alone take 10 days so I believed it was cleared. I guess I thought none of this could happen to me, but here I sit, apparently not a Wal-Mart Secret Shopper, but from what I am reading, also $2, 000 in debt to a bank I was already tired of. I wish I'd been more careful. Please, anyone out there, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. And I thought I always found everythng on this wonderful internet, which I do, I just wish I didn't think it wouldn't happen to me. I am really grateful to find others, at least I'm not alone. Thank you. Cathy

• Ji
                    JimA77 Sep 10, 2009

Let me count the failures.

1) couldnt buy GreenDot with creditcard at cvs. Had to use cash $104.95

2) couldnt register card

3) card said everywhere where visa/mc accepted LIE.

4) had to purchase card to read agreement.

5) first attempt to get to agent and not computer took 35 minutes.

6) Agent in Philipines and barely spoke English.

7) Agent didn't know company address, telephone until I asked to speak to supervisor.

8) Agent still didn't transfer to supervisor

9) Agent said please hold 1-2 minutes. Took nearly 14 minutes.

10) told 7-10 days to get my money back?

11) 14 days later still no money.

12) Agent transfered me to line that says nobody is available. Time is 2pm on Thursday. Call disconnects.

13) Supervisor says I have to wait for other department be back in Monday.

14) Now 18 days since requested refund. Supervisor discovers that address is incorrect. The dept that is never opened is not in right now. Supervisor promises a call back next day.

15) No call back.

16) Day 20. Supervisor is on her "rest day". No other supervisors in office.

17) Current useless turd on phone calls me by wrong name 10 times giving me generic excuses that everything is being settled

18) Turd doesnt know what the issue is.

20) Turd says they remember me calling yesterday. (I didn't)

21) Turd says supervisor will leave message to call me back. Tired of dealing with Turd.

22) Thank god. Turd didn't call but no call from supervisor either.

23) Find corporate phone number. Transfer to answering machine.

24) Day 28. Call corporate again get press correspondant. Get transfered to customer service in Guatemala. More turdiness.

25) Day 29. Call corporate again. Ask for COO. Get secretary she transfers me to that useless answering machine again.

26) Day 30. Still no money.

Send Green Dot.com/ Greendot Grant Programfraud /fake check

My husband recieved a check also in the mail for $935.50 last week July 10, 2009. The letter stated that it was some type of grant program ans to send back 10% of the money or he would be sent to collections. My husband cashed the check because he thought it was legit & he had already been looking into different grants and had filled out for some in recent months, so he thought it was ok. Now the bank is contacting him and with bad news about this matter. If anyone can help, how can he contact the proper people to take care of this matter and clear this up?. Please email at [protected]@yahoo.com

• St
                      STORITALL Aug 18, 2009

I ALSO GOT A CHECK FROM THE SO CALLED GRANT PROGRAM LOOKING FOR SOME MORE INFO I SAW YOUR STORY THE CHECK WILL BOUNCE BUT YOU SHOULD'NT HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING IF YOU TALK TO YOUR BANK UNLESS YOU SPENT IT BEFORE IT CLEARD I WAS JUST GOING TO THE CHECK CASHING STORE TO CASH MY 952.75 CHECK SO THIS WAY I WON'T HAVE MY BANK INVOLVED GOOD LUCK BILL.

mama121 Dec 16, 2009

i got the same check of 980.25 in dec.16, 2009 an i want to the bank an they told me that the check was fake. i thought i could of gave my kids a christmas that they will love.

Greendot Grant Program — not an official check

I received the check in the mail also, I actually took the check to US Bank and asked them if it could be...

Visa Greendot Gift Cardpending authorization

I purchased a Visa Green Dot shopping gift card and on june 28th, I purchased an item online. However, I canceled the order shortly after and when I checked my gift card it said that I only had 1 dollar, the purchase was 39.99. The company said that they didn't receive my funds so there was no money to return. I decided to wait a couple days to see if money was returned to my card but it still wasn't. It was placed into "Pending Authorization". I was wondering if anyone knows how long pending authorizations last and how long it will take for my money to be returned. I tried calling Visa green dot shopping. They claimed to have live customer service but when you call its only a machine and you're charged $0.50...

Green Dotfake grant check

Check drawn off usbank says official check no. [protected]
                      Issued by moneygram payment systems, inc. P. O. Box 9476, minneapolis, mn 55480 location 2514635

Signed by jennifer malo, with nice note from linda spaulding - an ndependent grant broker with the greendot grant program.

Asking me to cash check at my bank $945.00 and send them within 5 days $402.00 to get the rest of the $10, 000. Grant money. Greendot has something to do with bill gates who says they don't do individual grants.

• Mr
                          mrt09 Aug 19, 2009

did you try to cash your check though

Hilda Jackson Oct 14, 2014

someone stole my green dot card and I want to no how can I get my money back.

Hilda Jackson Oct 14, 2014

Please tell me how to get my money back

Greendot Grant Programcheck thtat was sent to me for $965.55

I got a check for $965.55 now im supposed to go and by a greendotmoneypak and send to linda spaulding im supposed to send her $400.50. I want to know if this is a scam, I didnt cash the check as of yet. I dont have a scanner of copy machine here to copy it. I can give you the number of the check. No. Is [protected]. Thanks judy sternberg emailme at [protected]@hotmail.com

• Bc
                            BCash Jun 30, 2009

I have one of those checks. I went inside my bank, they made some calls and confirmed that the bank account was no goo, and they were writing bad checks. Don't do it!!!

Here's how it works.

they contact you in response to an add.

agree to pay more so that you can forward the remaining money to a person
                            in another location via MoneyGram, Western Union, etc..So that they can pick
                            up said product.

the problem is, the check won't clear, you'll have to pay back the bank EVERY CENT.

The scammers split the money, and wala...FREE MONEY.

Imagine if the did this 30 times a week!!!

• Mg
                            m.gtrrn Jul 10, 2009

i recently recived a check from some one named linda spaulding (if that really a person) for a check for 944.00 and I figuerd out it was a acam the usban logo has been photocopied and check these have a distinct watermark spot to avoid fraudlent cases like these as of right now i am looking more into the matter i am see I can call the attorney general office or my local authories in my home town.

Greendot Grant Program — fraud

I recieved a check for $975 telling me that I should send the commission back to them and I will recieve the...

Greendot.comdisputed charges

I was on the internet and purchased a snowglobe. I only ordered one and they billed me for 3 due to their website misleading ordering page. I called the company immediately and I could not talk to them until the following day, because they were closed. However, I left a message, and called them back, and was reasured I would get my refund, and the order would only be for one. I then called Green Dot
                          and they refused to stop the hold on the two items I was billed extra for. They talked to me about how long it was going to take to straighten it out, so I called back the website for snowglobes and asked them to please enter the voided orders. I was told they had already done so. I then called back the green dot company and was given nothing but the run around. It is the 8th of June, and it started on the 2nd of June. My money is still being held by green dot.
                          I feel they have violated my right to dispute this order, but they refused to do anything!!! I need the money on my card to be taken off of hold immediately!!! Please help me! Dana Moschetti

• Sd
                              SDesselle Jan 13, 2010

I can't believe all you IDIOTS who are having problems with green dot as I have had a card that I reload every month at the Riteaid Pharmacy or Walmart in AL. and I have yet to have ANY problems with them Perhaps if you were to get your heads OUT of the sand you would realize that the PROBLEM lies with YOU and who you are dealing with in the beginning (initial retailers that issue the card or it could be you setting the card up on the internet) and QUIT trying to give a company a BAD NAME because YOU are TOO STUPID to know that you are a SMALL MINORITY (key word) hint hint of the people who are dealing with green dot that are having a problem. I had a bunch of unauthorized charges on my debit card from the bank twice and had to close my accounts with a BIG name bank and THEY were NO help to me at all. So quit complaining and DO something INSTEAD...

• Mo
                              moebius08 Feb 14, 2010

green dot is a nightmare to deal with when disputing a charge. sent them the requested letter 12 days later i find another letter in my mail box requesting along with the same info from the first letter i had sent the password to my online account with them.

they also want me to prove i paid with my card. logically if the charge is posted to my account i would have to assume they debited it.

strange company all in all ill probably have to sue to get this resolved sigh.

Green Dot Visa Cardfraud activity

Someone asked how to reach a real person on this card. when they come on and ask english or spanish do not press anything. When it asks the nature of your account press 1, then press 2, enter card # then enter zip code. listen to automation and press 3. This company will not cooperate with you to return your money in an orderly fashion. They are not an american company tho the main office is out of California. There is no one in California to talk to. I have had several supervisors hang up on me. They told me my money would be available by monday and then changed it to Tuesday and then they will probably change that to Wednesday. My money disappeared and when I asked them for the Authorization Code to send it to the rightful company, the guy asked what is an authorization code. even the gas pump gives u an AC. To file a proper complaint, write Green Dot Visa, PO Box 1187, Monrovia, Ca, 91017.

• Ca
                                CAROL Mar 26, 2009

PAID 9.95 TO GET GREEN DOT CARD. I LOADED 160.00 TO PAY A BILL IMMEDIATELY, THINKING THIS WOULD BE FAST. THAT COST ME 4.95, EACH TIME YOU PUT MONEY ON CARD. THEY STILL HAVE MY MONEY ON CARD. THEY HAVE NUMBER LISTED, NO PROMPT'S, FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, EVERY THING ELSE . YOU CAN'T SPEAK TO ANY ONE. IT'S HORRIBLE. I CAN'T GET MONEY OFF TO PAY MY BILL. WHICH BY NOW, IS PAST DUE. SPENT 3 HOURS LAST NIGHT, NOW 1 HR TODAY ALREADY. STILL HAVEN'T SPOKE TO ANYONE . I WILL REPORT THIS COMPANY. IN THE MEAN TIME, THAT ALL THE MONEY I HAVE, SO VERY UPSET. CAROL

Green Dot Grant Program — bad check

received a check inwhich i didn't a apply for from a linda spaulding for $975.50 i was to cash it and in...