Menu

complaints

Green Dot Complaints Summary

135 Resolved
878 Unresolved
Our verdict: With Green Dot's very poor resolution rate, careful consideration is needed. Research their service comprehensively, and read up on how they handle customer disputes. If you face issues, be prepared for potential challenges in obtaining resolutions and explore other service providers as backups.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Green Dot has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Green Dot. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Green Dot complaints 1013

Sort by:

Newest Green Dot complaints

J
2:39 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Avoid this bank like the plague I opened an account with them and had SSDI deposited for two months. On the second month I was using my account and and received a text stating my overdraft protection was suspended even though I never activated it so I like what ever I don’t use it. Then I get a text my account is overdrawn by 41.00. So I call them and the...

P
9:18 am EST

Green Dot Moneypak

I purchased a Money Pak card on October 23, 2023. I have sent numerous emails per there website to get help. I can not read the numbers scratched off the card. I uploaded my receipt and copy of the card many many times. I also called the bank where I wanted to deposit the money pak card into. They said they do not have a person to contact with complaints.

The reply emails from Money Pak say that they received my email regarding the document they requested from me case number [protected]. Money Pak said they are unable to locate my account. I have a $300 loaded card that I can not use.

I have talked to 3 managers from Family Dollar and that has not been successful either.

Please help me,

Paula Basham

[protected]@gmail.com

[protected]

Claimed loss: $300

Desired outcome: refund or new money pak card that I can use

Confidential Information Hidden: This section contains confidential information visible to verified Green Dot representatives only. If you are affiliated with Green Dot, please claim your business to access these details.

View 0 more photos
P
7:59 pm EST

Green Dot Prepaid Green Dot Visa

I have been trying to resolved this since December 2023. I live on SSID disability.

In November I purchased a Green Dot Visa card and deposited $500.00 and did not have any trouble using it to pay my bills.

In December I purchased a Green Dot Visa card and as soon as I tried to use to pay bills, it was declined. I finally got in touch with a person in customer service who advised me the account was in someone else name.

Family Dollar Store where I purchased the card said they could not help me, the Better Business Bureau stated they could not help me and told me to contact the Federal Consumer Division.

I only have a limit amount of money and really need my $500.00. When I recieved a Green Dot Visa card in the mail today, was hoping it had my money on it, however I was disappointed when it did not. The money was almost half of my disability and my bills are past due. I lost my reciept, please find it in your heart to help me resolve this issue.

Claimed loss: $500.00 of my disability check

Desired outcome: Please give me a refund so I can get my bills caught up.

Is Green Dot legit?

Our verdict: Through its investigations, Complaints Board highlights Green Dot with moderate legitimacy concerns, advising potential users to proceed with caution. The advice underscores the importance of meticulous review of Green Dot's practices before engagement.

Green Dot earns 36% level of Trustworthiness

Moderate Trust Alert: Complaints board rates Green Dot at 36%. Read reviews and beware of negative issues before engaging.

We conducted a search on social media and found several negative reviews related to Green Dot. These reviews may indicate issues with the company's products, services, or customer support. It is important to thoroughly research the company and its offerings before making any purchases to avoid any potential risks.

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• We found clear and detailed contact information for Green Dot. The company provides a physical address, phone number, and 2 emails, as well as 4 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.
  • Green Dot has registered the domain name for greendot.com for more than one year, which may indicate stability and longevity.
  • Greendot.com has a valid SSL certificate, while Scammers can obtain a valid SSL certificate by using fake information or by using a stolen or hijacked domain. In some cases, they may even use a certificate issued to another legitimate website.
  • Our scan shows Green Dot website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.
  • Greendot.com has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.
  • Greendot.com you are considering visiting, which is associated with Green Dot, is very old. Longevity often suggests that a website has consistently provided valuable content, products, or services over the years and has maintained a stable user base and a sustained online presence. This could be an indication of a very positive reputation.
  • The domain associated with Green Dot is registered with a high-end registrar, which can be an indicator of the company's commitment to maintaining a secure and reputable online presence.
  • Green Dot website is deemed to be popular and indicating that it receives a high volume of traffic. It is important to be cautious when using a highly trafficked website, as it may be a target for cybercriminals looking to exploit vulnerabilities or steal personal information.
  • This website offers payment methods that provide the option for customers to get their money back, which could be a positive indicator of the company's commitment to customer satisfaction.
F
2:23 pm EST

Green Dot Not receiving a refunding from a merchant

In September I was refunded 200 dollars from green light debit card. I tried to resolve this on the phone. after 2 months no resalts. green light sent me the transaction codes for the deposits. then I tide the help line; the chat, I got disconnected by them. I tried to e-mail my depute, as of January the twelve 2024 on response. I had almost gave up but that is my 200 dollars that I labored to have. please help me.

Claimed loss: 200 dollars

Desired outcome: get my 200 dollars put back into my account

1:07 pm EST

Green Dot Greendot bank card

Just after 11:20 I was altered by text that overdraft access had been blocked on my account. I tried to log in and found the account shut down, all access to my balance and transaction history is now blocked from me. Customer service would only tell me that it was done for suspicious activity but would not tell me what the activity was, or what transactions were that caused it. They said they couldn't reactivate the account.

This was 11:27

1/9/24

M
3:02 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Green Dot Greendot closed my account with my money in it.

My daughter sent me money to my greendot account. I have cancer so she was going to help me with a bill. I have been a customer for years, but because I had not used my card in a year, they blocked it and closed the account. That was 3 weeks ago and I have submitted the required documents 3 and 4 times and I still cannot access my money. Its all I have and now my bills are starting to be cut off.

Claimed loss: 800.00

Desired outcome: i want my account unlocked immediately and/or send my money back to the card it came from.

T
7:55 am EST

Green Dot Stolen money

Green dot closed my account and won't give me my 177.00 that I had on it they closed it for fraud and will only give back the money to who put it on my card but the money was mine they were just refunding my card so I don't see what I did wrong and I'm not going to let them say I did something wrong and put me in the bad light they said who ever put in writing using their letterhead they will give them the money back but it is my money I don't understand any of this I plan to get a lawyer and sue them for can five times more then they stolle

Claimed loss: 177.00

Desired outcome: I want my money back and my name cleared of your this fraud thing

M
9:28 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I made a purchase on Amazon on Nov. 21, 2023 and the transaction was cancelled by Nov. 22, 2023. I have $335.68 which has been sitting in PENDING since then. The date on that pending transaction has changed 1X from Nov. 22, 2023 (when Amazon says they released the hold on my almost $400 RENT MONEY) to Nov. 27, 2023 (which is what the transaction date say...

2:33 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Purchased a reloadable debit card over a week ago and loaded it with $450. Couldn't activate it from any of my devices, and couldn't get any customer assistance since my card wasn't activated yet. Finally was able to somehow activate it on a friend's device, with no observable difference in activate process other than their device, rather than my phone or...

L
3:48 pm EST

Green Dot Walmart money card

I was a victim of fraud using Walmart Money Cards, issued by Green Dot. I went through the fraud process and filed my complaints on the Walmart website per their guidance, also uploading the required back-up documentation. It's been over 3 months and after repeated attempts via email and phone to contact Walmart and/or Green Dot, I've still not received ANY sort of response.

Claimed loss: $1,500

Desired outcome: reimbursement of the $1,500

4:43 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Dear GreenDot Customer Support, I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction and frustration with the recent incident involving my GreenDot card. After uploading my identification card multiple times without numbers, my card has been permanently blocked, and I have been denied access to my own funds. I understand the importance of security measure...

7:04 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

i went 11/09/23 and got this green dot card i paid a 1.95 and put 250,00 0ne it total cost 251,95, i activate the card and downloaded the app, on my phone, the app says i have 242,00 dollars on it and on top of that you took 7.95 for a monthly fee. I try using my card. at fusion buffet in Pascagoula Mississippi It was declined, I called stayed on hold...

S
11:13 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

One of your customers is attempting to defraud us by requesting to divert payroll payments. Please freeze the account listed below. Regards, Shah Ahmed [protected] From: Abhishek Jha Sent: Thursday, November 9, 2023 10:57 AM To: Shah Ahmed Subject: Re: ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED EXTERNAL MESSAGE! Be careful when clicking links or attachments! Below i...

12:43 am EST

Green Dot Customer service

Apparently I signed up for the Green Dot card when I filed my taxes. Although I don't remember doing so - that's what the IRS claimed in the letter they sent me. The letter states my refund was deposited into an account with Green Dot in February 2023. I can not get a hold of a live person to discuss this issue. I never received a card from Green Dot that had my tax refund on it.

Claimed loss: $171

Desired outcome: I would like to actually receive my tax refund that I should have received a year ago.

1:14 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

To whom this may concern, You guys will disregard my concerns and that’s fine as I will be talking to my lawyer today. 11/7 I did a cash advance at my credit union and it denied twice on their end however the first transaction in the amount of $2,201.92 is pending even the bank declined it. I have chatted over 10 times and keep receiving different answer...

R
2:45 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased these cards just a few weeks back, had funds on both accts,2 total I had sent funds to a friend and all of a sudden both of our accts are locked for suspicious activity. She got hers immediately unblocked however I had to email my id to 4 different locations only to be told it was permanately blocked and closed. After countless hours and call...

6:46 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Dear Green Dot Corporation, I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the services provided by Green Dot Corporation. I recently purchased a Green Dot card, loaded it with $20 on 10/25/2023, and received a direct deposit on 10/27/2023. However, when I attempted to make a purchase on Saturday, October 28, 2023, I was unable to do so as my card...

5:18 pm EDT

Green Dot Payment not received.

I am very upset. I have been told so many times that your check will be here tomorrow. I have never got my refund issued check. This is for case #[protected]. I finally asked to talk to a supervisor right now and then the supervisor Rhen gets on the phone and said mam you will have to wait 3weeks after the 3rd. I said we are going on almost 5weeks and this is not fair. I even opened up a new card and put minimal amount of money on it to make it easier just in case. I have verified my address over and over. This is not right. I will turn this into the Federal Reserve Board if something does not happen. Not fair that I keep going told information that is incorrect and then when I let them know it has been almost 5 weeks since the 3rd they said Oh. That is not a correct response.

Claimed loss: $808.00

Desired outcome: I need a refund check rushed to me. I can not keep waiting.

R
11:11 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Green Dot Expedite fee for new card that was not expedited

I have been a customer for over 15 years. I applied for a new card to be expedited was charged 15 dollars for this. It never came my old card I cannot use I have bills due. I have called twice asked for a supervisor and put on hold for hours to no avail. I get my social security check on this account. I am calling social security to see what is going on if I don't get an answer soon.

Desired outcome: new card now

9:08 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I do not know what is wrong with you all but i do know one thing, I am the wrong person who you think is weak enough to scam. I know i had this account for three years and never in these three years have I had overdraft protection. all of sudden in July 2023, you want to start taking my money to cover overdraft fees that were resulted from unauthorized...

Read full review of Green Dot and 2 comments
How to file a complaint about Green Dot?

1. Log in or create an account: Ensure you are logged in to your ComplaintsBoard.com account. If you do not have an account, please register by providing the required information and verifying your email address.

2. Navigating to the complaint form: Once logged in, locate the 'File a Complaint' button situated at the top right corner of the website and click on it to access the complaint form.

3. Writing the title: In the 'Complaint Title' field, concisely summarize the main issue you have encountered with Green Dot. Make it specific and clear, such as "Unauthorized Green Dot Account Charges" or "Green Dot Refund Not Processed".

4. Detailing the experience: In the complaint description, provide a detailed account of your experience with Green Dot. Mention key areas such as customer service interactions, problems with account access, issues with prepaid cards, unexpected fees, or difficulties with direct deposits. Include any relevant transaction information, such as dates and amounts, without disclosing full account numbers or personal identification numbers. Clearly describe the nature of the issue, the steps you have taken to resolve it, including any communication with Green Dot's customer support, and the responses received. Explain how this issue has personally affected you, such as financial inconvenience or stress.

5. Attaching supporting documents: Attach any relevant documents that support your complaint, such as correspondence with customer service, bank statements, or screenshots. Be cautious not to include sensitive personal information like social security numbers or full account details.

6. Filing optional fields: Use the 'Claimed Loss' field to indicate any financial losses you have incurred due to the issue with Green Dot. In the 'Desired Outcome' field, specify the resolution you are seeking, whether it is a refund, account correction, or another form of rectification.

7. Review before submission: Carefully review your complaint for clarity, accuracy, and completeness. Ensure that all the information provided is correct and that your desired outcome is reasonable and clearly stated.

8. Submission process: After reviewing your complaint, click the 'Submit' button to officially file your complaint on ComplaintsBoard.com.

9. Post-Submission Actions: Keep an eye on your ComplaintsBoard.com account for any responses or updates regarding your complaint. Be prepared to engage in further communication if necessary to resolve your issue with Green Dot.

Overview of Green Dot customer experience

Green Dot, a prepaid debit card provider, has been receiving numerous complaints from consumers. Customers have reported issues with account access, unauthorized charges, and poor customer service. Many have also complained about the company's high fees and hidden charges. Green Dot's mobile app has also been criticized for being difficult to use and unreliable. Overall, consumers have expressed frustration with Green Dot's lack of transparency and poor communication. These issues have led to a significant decrease in customer satisfaction and trust in the company.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Green Dot contacts