Menu

Green Dot  -  Account locked for suspicious activity

M
Author of the complaint
4:26 am
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Walmart GreenDot locked my account for so called suspicious activity. Their was no suspicious activity first and foremost. I received my stimulus check and cashed it at a Walmart money center and was charged an $8.00 fee out of the $1400 stimulus check in which I end up doing two transactions one of $1, 000 deposited onto my GreenDot account and $392 which was the remainder from the $1, 400. I bought my groceries on July 23, 2021 a little after 5:00 pm EST and withdrew $40.00. I'm not knowing around 5:36 pm my card was deactivated and blocked from use. But instead went to Walmart this morning to purchase Mucinex at the pharmacy and card declined twice!.

I have been getting my direct deposit checks deposited into my account since April 2017 through GreenDot with no issues nothing. After the card declined today, I called Walmart Money Card Green Dot and was transferred to the fraudulent department and spoke with a Jackie. Now why she is a supervisor is beyond me. The ditzy female had the audacity to send a copy of my photo ID front and back and to hold my ID card in my hand and send a photo. Plus I even went as far to upload the check information that was cashed and deposited into my account.

I completed everything Jackie wanted but at the same time she clearly violating patient privacy laws. When documents such as photo IDS, social security cards are sent and encryption should take place. Customer's should also receive a email response stating we received your documents here is your case # and or ID number for your records but please note it can take up to two business days to review your case and account. You receive nothing from them.

My car was dropped off at the shop today for repairs in which I will need by next Monday. Do I see that occurring today July 23, 2021 on July 26, 2021? Absolutely not! Plus my rent is due next week with a work direct deposit set to deposit into my account on July 28, 2021 what do I do? So not only is my stimulus money locked with my account either closed or frozen but my biweekly direct deposit check is now in jeopardy of floating around and I will probably have to be issued a paper check which will mean me being late paying my rent. Thank god I bought myself some food yesterday and pulled off $40.00.

I'm so stressed because I commute to and from work and will have to be onsite next week. So not only will I be without my vehicle but me paying rent on time and probably charged a late fee. I went ahead and filed a BBB complaint and following up with the Federal Reserve on Monday. I also filed another complaint with ConsumerFraudLegalServices but also contact my attorneys office. This is disgusting and my gut feeling is telling me that the process is going to take more than 2 business days. My concern again is why not send an email back to customer's that the documents has been received and state in the autoreply that it can take up to two business days to receive an answer? It's that simple! Green Dot hire so many foreign people that it's sometimes hard to understand what they're saying over the phone. Thank goodness I recorded my phone calls today as evidence because I'm going to seek legal counsel. Green Dot was never like this in the past, and I did direct deposits with them because I liked the fact that I would receive my money a day or so ahead of time. But to endure this type of headache, anxiety and stress is unwarranted. Now I have to feverishly contact my job on Monday July 26, 2021 to explain the situation and figure out how to stop the direct deposit from coming on July 28, 2021 into my blocked and deactivated account. The sad part is that without customers Green Dot would not be in business. When companies starts to abuse the privileges it's given that hurts the same consumers that keeps them in business is when it really becomes an issue. Hopefully the Federal Reserve will be able to guide me on what else I need to do in this matter on Monday 26, 2021! I need my funds released to me asap, my account reactivated and for the nonsense to be resolved asap!

Update by Ms. Furious
Aug 25, 2021 1:55 pm

GreenDot Corporate Resolution Department contacted me August 9, and 11th to tell me "oh your account is unlocked" which was a surprise on August 11, 2021. I still did not get a reason for my account becoming unlocked. The only thing I could think is the letter they received from my attorney's office informing them of a civil suit and the Federal Reserve Bank in San Francisco and Better Business Bureau applied pressure to them. I removed my money from my account so fast it was not funny. I asked the representative what was the reason as to why my card was locked? The only thing she tried to say oh well your ID was not legible enough? Like really? I submitted my photo ID multiple times. I will never bank with GreenDot and I caution anyone who are experiencing any issues with them to go legal if you can and first and foremost contact the Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve regulates the banking system and good luck!

More Green Dot complaints & reviews

Green Dot - Unlock accounts
Green Dot - stolen money
Green Dot - can't access money/use card/get a live cust. service rep
Green Dot - where's my money