Georgia Powerdouble billing

H Review updated:

Why and where is it legal and fair for a utility company to double bill in certain areas? I lived in my apartment for 1year and 6mos. now. Last summer i saw my bill reach for the high heavens! This year its even worse! I called and asked why is my bill 250 -$300 when im not using that much energy? I was told this company has areas where they double bill to offset other charges. Being a single mom of 3 elementary school children, cant afford to be double billed! I unplug my cell charger, i dont have a washer dryer, i use power surge protectors as well, and i dont run my dishwasher unless its a full load. oh yeah my place is a 2bdrm flat apt! So if i can't make a full payment on a bill thats near $100 sometimes, what makes them think i can pay $300?! Even with a service extension is almost impossible. I have been getting by, by paying this bill alone not including other bills that have to be paid by the skin of my teeth! this really should be illegal and told before you start service with them. I have enough day-to-day stress as it is. Thanks Georgia Power for being soooooo considerate and raping my wallet. Im moving to a new area next year!

• Po
    pointer Sep 08, 2010

What was your usage last year compared to this year? The meter is rarely the issue. Poor energy management is more likely the culprit. You can easily compare what the usage is by reading the display on the meter and comparing the daily total on the website.

Rates are published so you should be able to calculate your bill and add any taxes or fees.

If your usage is drastically higher, have your power company perform an energy audit. When this was completed at a friends house, they found that the HVAC unit was using heat strips when the AC was on. Basically the unit was working with triple effort to cool an area.

Take responsibility for your usage consumption. Raise your thermostat to 78 degress in winter and 68 degress in winter. Use a clothes line to dry clothes on nice days. If you are active in managing your usage, you will be able to control the possibility of a high bill.

Marshall Hanissah Sep 09, 2017

@pointer They are doing the same thing to everyone and they told me a supervisor will call me back an never did so

• Di
    Disgruntled in Athens Feb 21, 2011

After having Power bill averages during DEC/JAN for 9 years, having just installed a new 14-15 SEER Heat Pump, added floor insulation and caulked, etc. our bill (athens, ga area) went from WINTER average of between 175 - 221, to OVER $400 - actually $418 to be exactly, assuming that is also calculating in the 'New' $14 added on for GA. Power to build a new plant some 5 yrs down the road...we are definitely not using more power even tho it snowed and was cold - it's snowed 3 yrs in a row and been just as cold, but the highest bills past...still $130 - $170 LESS than the past 2 billing cycles. Only doing laundry once a week, and the dishwasher 1 x per wk - changed every lamp bulb to energy saver bulbs and it has done NOTHING to even so much as maintain our former bills...our house is 2 heat pumps - upper and lower - upper is rarely on, ever. The lower is only about 1, 300 sq. ft - can't WAIT to see what happens in the summer. It'll serve GA. Power right when/if (and probably) we put on Solar to run instead - at the rate of $$$$$$$ we pay now, it'll more than make up the cost of Elec vs. Solar - and probably won't take even a year to make up the difference ! VERY disappointed - and the REP's at Ga. Power are always doing the S.P.I.N..."it's be a lower bill when summer comes...but in the meantime, you 'qualify' for a monthly 'average' billing ...just pay us $225 every month..." Thing is: last year our elec bill was only $85, 93 and 135...apr, may, june. So their 'montly average billing' would STILL net them a triple profit. NO NO NO

• Is
    IS IT JUST ME? Jul 18, 2012

I HAVE A COMPLAINT ABOUT GEORGIA POWER COMPANY, MY BILL DOUBLED AS A CONSUMER ON THE FLAT BILL RATE, HOWEVER, GEORGIA POWER STATES THAT THEY BASE THIS ON WHAT YOU AVERGAE AS A CONSUMER, AS IF IT WOULD LOWER, PLEASE CAUTION, ESPECIALLY FOR OUR SENOIR CITIZENS AND FIXED INCOME, YOU MIGHT BE PAYING MUCH MORE, MY AVERAGE RATE OF PAYING PER MONTH, WAS 50-60 DOLLARS PER MONTH, IT WENT UP TO 100.00 PER MONTH.EVEN THOUGH THEY SAY THEY SEND A NOTICE OUT IN FEBRUARY, STATING YOU CAN TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT, THIS IS VERY VAGUE, BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING MORE MONEY FOR LESS KWH USAGE.SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR USAGE, PER MONTH.WITH EVERY ONE GOING THROUGH JOB LOSS, UNABLE TO PAY YOUR UTILITY BILLS, A SHAKEN ECONOMY, UNABLE TO GET ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR UTILITIES, THIS IS OUT RAGEOUS TACTICS, THEY OWE US A REBATE OR CEDIT FOR WHAT WE DIDNOT USE, i ASK IF THERE ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?, WHO COULD BE AN ADVOCATE FOR US, THE CONSUMER, WHO CAN WE CALL, ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE CONTAC, SIGNED I'M FED UP

• El
    Elizabeth Brooks Aug 04, 2014

Someone said the same thing to me when I complained "it's just that you're using more power blah blah blah" but I talked to THREE Georgia Power reps who all told me that they do indeed double the rates from June-September to offset charges. I did BOT receive a warning about this and I'm incredibly pissed. When one of the Georgia Power men came into my work he said that I misunderstood after I had talked to just one representative, he told me it was illegal for them to do such a thing. I just got off the phone with two other representatives who told that they do indeed double our rates. September is not even a hot month- this is ridiculous. I am a very broke college student who works 15 hour days and still live paycheck to paycheck. I don't have a washer/dryer- I NEVER use my dishwasher-I'm worse than my mom was about leaving lights on-and I'm melting because my thermostat is set at 80 degrees...someone please tell me how they charged me $75 dollars for NINE days of service!! Not to mention when I went to transfer service from my old apartment to my new one I asked if it would cost anything MULTIPLE times I asked and was told that "it does not cost to transfer only to open a new account" but they charge me with 30$ ON TOP of the ridiculous bill and when I called to complain they only told me "somebody told you the wrong thing-sorry". As for the 14$ charge for a bunch of crap, I agreed to pay for my power and my power ONLY. They really need to be better at sending out notices and not screwing people over.

Marshall Hanissah Sep 09, 2017

@Elizabeth Brooks They doing the same thing to me and they told me the same story my bill usually 1 something now last month and this month 300

Marshall Hanissah Sep 09, 2017

They need to refund our money I had them for 3 yes this the first time I heard of this if I could get GA power I would but they said they not on this side of the street

• Da
    Davy Davis Dec 03, 2018

My wife recently inherited her parents' family home when her mother passed away in June of this year. Her father passed away over six years ago. My mother in law never changed the Georgia Power account and kept it in my father in laws' name. My in-laws were on budget billing set at $350 per month. The house has been vacant since my mother in laws' death (five months now) and Ga. Power continues to charge us and says we cannot get out of the contract even though the parties that entered it are dead. This is pure theft and cannot possibly be legal.