Georgia Department of LaborUnemployment claims payment and customer service

C Sep 20, 2020

Good afternoon,

I am contacting your office on behalf of the Georgia citizens that are suffering while waiting on PUA Unemployment payments. I am a forty year old woman and the mother of three children. My husband and I are upstanding members of society, that are disappointed to say the least in how the Georgia Department of Labor is handling my Unemployment Claim.
Our family falls in the middle class income range, and with three children both my husband and I have to earn incomes in order to sustain the typical middle American household. This has not been possible since the middle of March 2020, due to Covid-19.
In March my children who are now 10, 11, and 13 had to begin distance learning when their school closed. I then had to become the stay at home mom and their teacher full-time. My husband and I were not concerned initially, due to the PUA and Unemployment that was being offered to American's to cope with these exact types of income changes that the pandemic was causing.
I filed my Unemployment Claim in the beginning of April, which was a first for me. There had been previous times in my life when I could of chosen to file a claim, however we have prided ourselves on taking care of our family without government assistance. Since April, I have received one email confirming they had my claim and a letter in August stating that I was eligible to receive $365.00 weekly starting 3/15/20. Today is September 20th, and I have yet to receive any payments.
I have followed all of the directions on the Georgia Department of Labor website and have been requesting my weekly payments since I first filed, as required. At this time I am not sure what the hold up on my payments is. I have called and left daily voicemails on every phone number that I can find that is affiliated with the Department of Labor to include my local Career Center in Augusta and all regional offices. There is also a section on the government website to email the regional and local offices, which I have also done daily. My daily attempts to make contact began in May and to date I have not received a single response from a single person at the Department of Labor.
I watch the news and I am aware that they are behind on processing claims and that is why I waited so long to contact elected officials, such as yourself. I am hoping that you agree that Georgia Citizens should not be waiting six months or more to receive their Unemployment payments. That amount of time is not a delay it is a catastrophic failure on the Department of Labor's part.
My family is truly suffering. My husband and I went to see a lawyer last week to begin Bankruptcy proceedings. We have worked hard over the years and all of that is being erased due to what is currently going on. Tomorrow, if I cannot get our local water utilities company to wait until Friday, when my husband gets paid, to pay our bill we will have no running water. Our power is also under threat of being disconnected. This does not seem fair and definitely is not our "American Dream."
I am requesting that you look into my accusations against the Georgia Department of Labor and take any action within your power to help all of the Georgians that are drowning and suffering irreparable damage due to nonpayment of their claims. Middle class families and below cannot wait months to receive benefits that are theirs. To lose half or all of a families income is devastating and without receiving the help that both Georgia and the Federal government have made available for us, we are all sliding further into a whole that we will not be able to get ourselves out of.
Please implement a time frame that they have to process claims and begin paying those of us with legitimate claims. Also please make them accountable to the people of Georgia that they are serving. It is imperative that they call claimants back and respond to emails. This should be mandatory especially while all of the Career Centers are closed to the public. People have no door to knock on, no one to call that will answer, and are left with a hopeless feeling that it could be another six months before their money arrives. We are helpless. We call, email, and even contact the Commissioner with every hour we spend trying to just have one meaningful contact with a person be in vein.
I am praying that you will help the families that are suffering. We all need some hope in such a bleak and desperate time. Please hear our cries for relief. Please be my one meaningful contact and actually take some action.

Sincerely,