Menu
New York State Department of Labor
reviews & complaints

New York State Department of Labor
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

19 complaints
1 resolved 18 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of New York State Department of Labor. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
8:29 pm EDT

New York State Department of Labor - Unemployment Services

NYS DOL has been withholding my unemployment because they won't adjudicate my leaving a position for valid reasons. I left the position because of bad accounting practices and an abusive CFO. I was honest with NYS DOL when I left, and they had adjudicated this favorably once before in August 2020. I had only worked at the position for 3 weeks.

I got another position within a month of leaving that place and worked in that position for nearly 8 months before I was told my position was no longer going to be needed.

I filed for unemployment on 4/17/2022 and have been waiting for them to adjudicate that claim since then. I have had DOL agency staff be abusive with me. They won't provide me any straight answers. I have already started a new position, and moved to Washington, DC for a federal position.

I still want an adjudication on my claim - which they are holding up for the 3 weeks of work while ignoring the fact that the next organization I worked with has already signed off on my claim.

This is clearly a form of harassment of some sort at this point - and I seem to have no recourse or due process that is being provided to me. I need them to either accept or deny my claim so I can at least than make my case to the NYS Unemployment Administrative Board for a hearing. But without a determination, I am simply stuck with no options, and I believe that is their goal.

Desired outcome: I simply want my unemployment claim adjudicated - one way or the other. Either they release my payments or deny my claim at which point I can exercise my legal rights.

11:47 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I filed a claim beginning 5/16/22. On 5/26/22 I received a letter saying my benefit is approved for $123.00 per week. On 6/3 I received a questionnaire (it was mailed on 5/27) asking to verify that I do not receive Workers Compensation. I filled out and faxed the form on 6/6. The questionnaire was supposed to be returned in 7 days from the mailing date of...

I
11:21 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My security license is suspended without reason due to this company not following through with the process thus leaving me unemployable because I have this pending application that hasn’t been pursued .

2:40 pm EST

New York State Department of Labor - First service property management

The employees working at 320 Central Park West

under First Service Property Management Attn Mr Drew Kanter. 622 Third Ave 15th Floor NY NY 10017. We all came down with COVID and were charged from our sick days. When we asked for return of these sick days Mr Kanter refused. When we missed work we were threatened with termination. We want remuneration for the days missed because of having Covid and out sick days returned!

Desired outcome: We want our sick days returned and payment for days missed because of contracting Covid on the job.

D
1:45 pm EST

New York State Department of Labor - Claim

I filed a claim. A week or so later I received a letter that I was declined because I never submitted a form requesting additional information. I never received such a form or any emails/phone calls about this form before I was denied. I filed another claim, received the form, and sent it back. After I certify online every week, it states my claim is pending. I have called also and been told my claim was pending. Today, I am told my claim is not pending, but has been removed. So I need to request a hearing.
Besides the letter declining my claim, I have received no communications from the DOL. I have not gotten one response to my messages sent in the online "inbox". I also waited on hold almost an hour today to speak with a supervisor, who ultimately refused to speak to me.

1:56 pm EST

New York State Department of Labor - Unemployment and 1099 issues

They refuse to give me a copy of my 1099g for 2020, refuse to allow me to speak to someone, never answer calls.
I also filled for unemployment in June 2021, went through the whole hearing process and they still refuse to pay unemployment benefits.
I've asked to speak to a supervisor through messaging, but am always ignored.
I only want my 1099g for 2020, and the few weeks unemployment owed.

Desired outcome: Unemployment benefits paid and a copy of my 1099g for 2020

H
11:17 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This is my second ongoing complaint against the New York State Department of Labor, EWF. I am unable to respond for their request for more information regarding my application for the NYSDOL EWF. Their phone number [protected] has a faulty auto-bot that does not connect one with a representative, but makes a phone appointment, and then no one calls back...

H
11:44 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I applied for the NYS Department of Labor EWF funds. They called once (I asked them to contact me by email), and left a voicemail that they needed additional information, the caller was a guy named "Diego." There is no call back number, just the main number with a lot of prompts that does not have a real person answering them. I left a message for a call...

12:08 pm EDT

New York State Department of Labor - Unable to get assistance from unemployment phone line

Good afternoon, After working in healthcare through the entire pandemic thus far, I was laid off on 8/6.21.

I filed my unemployment claim on 8/23/21. On 8/24/21,
I received a text saying claim was ready to certify. When I went back online to certify, there are technical issues with logging in so I was unable to certify. The phone system is not accepting my PIN so I am unable to certify via phone. I have called all numbers provided to no avail. You cannot reach anyone and the message tells you to call back. Numbers I have called: [protected], [protected], [protected].

My phone number is [protected]

Desired outcome: Access to my account so I can receive unemployment

Read full review of New York State Department of Labor

Nothing has been done. I will reach out a different way.

9:23 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was approved and receiving unemployment benefits when the pandemic started except for weeks I had work (like the census). End of November I broke my toe and my computer. I was getting messages from UI but didn't see them as had no access to the internet. They claimed I was out of the country (I wasn't). and stopped my benefits Dec 1, 2020. I called for...

J
7:49 pm EST

New York State Department of Labor - Integrity Department

I am in desperate need of reaching NYSDOL "Integrity" Department. I call day in and day out for over a month and finally today after TWO HOURS on hold I get thorough to a miserable service provider.
All that was supposed to be asked was when my last days of employment were because i took part time work. She hazed and battered me, refused to let me answer questions, and finally said "I'm gonna let you go" then proceeded to HANG UP on me. I was flabbergasted and overwhelmed to say the least. I've made many calls to Gov Cuomo's office as well and nothing is being done to resolve this issue.

I'm going to kill myself. If anyone is interested in suing I would back that.

Desired outcome: Decent service, Back pay of unemployment

10:00 am EST

New York State Department of Labor - Unemployment benefits

I have not received my benefits in one month. I have been told that there is something wrong with the payments and IT dept is working on it. However, it has been one moth with no benefits and no answer or solution to the problem! I need help with this please! It is not happening to everyone as my husbands has been fine. I call every week and get different answers every time. I have asked for a call back or email something from a supervisor but still have heard nothing. I am looking to get paid for all 4 weeks as soon as possible and this matter resolved so it doesn't keep happening and putting me in further debt. Thank you, April Cargill

Desired outcome: Payments of benefits

1 comment
C
Apr 06, 2021 2:23 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I'm having the same problem. There are no human beings to speak with, can't leave messages and can't hold. I've called 10 different numbers and have written numerous emails only to get standard form letters in return.

Into my fourth week of not getting my benefits. The phone prompts you to go online and the website prompts you to call a number that tells you to go back to the website! Totally unacceptable.

J
10:56 am EST

New York State Department of Labor - Not being able to contact a specialist and not being paid my unemployment benefits

I have been submitting my certifications every week since august then in September they send me a letter that I need to send them my identity documents which I have sent them several times cause they kept on giving me an excuse that there's an issue with my documents. Then it's hard to speak to an agent at that and it is now november and still no payments and their excuse is now that my certification keep getting rejected so I have to recertify again and this is every week they keep saying this but and I've tried. Speaking to a level 2 specialist and either the call hangs up or the agent is real nasty giving me attitude saying that I have to be patient how much more patience should I have it's 2 months no payment and all they say is that they are still working on it I am behind in my bills because the department of labor associates aren't really doing their job

Hide full review

New York State Department of Labor - Not being able to contact a agent.

I have put in a claim in July 2020. I have not received any correspondence or information in regard to my claim. My claim is pending and no one can tell me why. I've tried calling numerous times was put on hold for two hours And they hung up on me. The line is busy and they state that there's no agent to answer my call. On the site it states that my claim is being worked on but nothing has changed.

R
12:30 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In August, I spoke with a supervisor there at NYS UNEMPLOYMENT TCC, a Mr. John Newman, who told me my claim was put in the system "in a mess". I claimed PUA benefits from about March 16th, and he said my claim was in 2 parts: March 16th till the end of May; then since I worked for the months of June and July and was not eligible while working and since I...

M
12:35 pm EDT

New York State Department of Labor - nys department of labor unemployment benefits

I was suspended from my benefits on May 16 2020 for using a VPN on my iPad when certifying that week. The NYS site said I was in Romania when I wasn't. This is a lie, I logged off, turned of the VPN and logged back on. It should show I was at home in Schenectady. I sent in pictures of my passport, which is does not have 1 stamp in it from another country. It is 100% blank. I am owed 10 weeks of benefits and when I call they say there is nothing they can do. I just have to wait. Any help would be appreciated.

Contact info
Matthew Consler
[protected]@yahoo.com
[protected]

4:22 pm EDT

New York State Department of Labor - About my Unemployment Benefits

I am a bus operator for the city school district In Rochester New York and also I work for Rochester Transit but currently out due to medical complications. I filed a claim about a month ago and haven't heard a thing. I'm in great need of financial help to support my family. I would greatly appreciate it if a representative can call me back at [protected] or please at least respond to the messages I've sent out. Again since I've filed no one had contacted me back and I've been very patient and also I've been calling everyday at least 7/8 times a day and only get the automated system which is no help. I would at least like to speak with a actual human to see what's taking my claim process so long. Thank you.

10:59 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Began calling Weds, April 8. Gave up after 120 attempts to get through. Resumed calling Thursday April 9 at 8:20AM. After 3 attempts, I was place in a "silent queue" and was informed it would be a 37 minute wait. After 2 hours and 9 minutes on hold, the system dropped my call. This call is supposed to happen the same week I file; Please fix this.

R
10:22 am EDT

New York State Department of Labor - Unemployment Claims

If you ever have to make a claim with New York State Department of Labor, for Unemployment Insurance, BEWARE. DO NOT take any part time job, or temporary job while claiming your benefits, even though you notify them you have worked. Besides taking a good part of the day to speak to a real person, paperwork you file, gets lost, phone conversations with representatives are forgotten as soon as they hang-up the phone, and there is no inter-office communication to support the claimant. You are better off receiving your full claim, and then looking for work. The Department of Labor only cares about how much they can screw you out of your claim. It doesn't matter how hard you have worked for a previous employer, or the reason you were terminated. The arrogant and nasty, employees at the Department of Labor, DO NOT CARE about you, or your claim. Remember... your unemployment insurance was paid by you. The funds are taken out of every pay check. The employer pays very little. Good luck.

Update by Resc1
Jun 26, 2015 11:42 pm EDT

I am ashamed of New York State. Any experience with a NYS office is a nightmare. Not to mention the cost of living and ridiculous property taxes. Now I know why so many people are moving out of state.

8 comments
Jul 21, 2022 10:51 am EDT

i applied for unemployment insurance on 5/30/22 and was informed that now i have to submit IDme in order for benefits to be received I did. it is now 7/20/22 and I have not received anything. i file my claim weekly and they keep saying my benefits are in pending status. i tried calling them many times and i keep getting there high volume of calls please call back. they are avoiding and also have very nasty attitude. THIS GOVERNMENT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HE STATE OF THINGS IN THIS NATION. they keep screwing the hard working people any way they can.

Feb 16, 2016 2:52 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Actually, your unemployment was NOT paid for by you, it is paid by your employer. If you're getting money taken out of your paycheck for that, then you need to look into it.

Jul 01, 2015 7:12 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

that is not what i am saying I don't mind working I would rather work and have a better retirement I am an independent person I am also going to school for HIT what I am stating like the unemployment people have to do is look for work three days a week the welfare people don't why not there are a lot of jobs out there even if they did part time and why should we work for them? Don't go judging people .

Jun 29, 2015 6:45 am EDT

Boo hoo. You are required to look for gainful employment instead of just sitting on your rear collecting welfare.

Jul 21, 2022 10:43 am EDT

you stupid [censored]

Jun 27, 2015 1:23 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

and the gun laws are awful !

Jun 26, 2015 11:14 pm EDT

The NYS Department of Labor is a money making machine, designed to screw over employees who have contributed to their unemployment insurance. The department's goal is to make money for New York State, NOT to help the unemployed. The department's employees are arrogant, nasty, and incompetent. A collection of heartless misfits that should meet the same fate as the people they torture on a daily basis.

Jun 26, 2015 12:47 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

oh my gosh if this isn't truth ... ! i am on unemployment right now due to company closing I am back in school but my husband who had worked there for 22 years had to look for work b4 he even received his first check ! I told them the welfare people don't even have to look for work the way he does .. oh my what you have to go though such a pain and they dont make anything easy for you at ALL !

New York State Department of Labor contacts

Phone number

+1 888 469 7365

Most discussed New York State Department of Labor complaints

Unemployment Claims
(opinions to this review)