Ford Taurus, 2002front coil spring failure

L Review updated:

Like Sean, Malcolm and the others, I too, own a 2002 Ford Taurus and also had front coil spring failure, requiring replacement of both springs, a tire and sway bar links. I approached FORD about the recall covering [protected] Taurus and Sable models, and FORD informed me the recall was not applicable to my car. Its time for FORD to acknowlegde the problem has not been corrected and extend their recall to later model years.

• Ad
    Adam Hupper Sep 04, 2006

My father-in-law's 2002 Mercury Sable just had the rear left coil spring fail, cutting into the sidewall of the tire. Ford/Mercury has a major issue here. My wife's 2000 Ford Focus had the same issue on the front left. Ford's resolution was to extend (not recall) the warranty on the Focus' springs.

• Aw
    AW Lester Feb 16, 2009

FORD needs to stand up and take care of its consumers! Our Ford Taurus (2002) missed the recall date by 2 weeks! We are looking at $500 worth of repairs which we cannot afford at this time.

• Lr
    L.Ruggiero Feb 23, 2009

This past weekend I sent my 2002 Ford Taurus for normal mainentence to a local dealer. Before I could sit down and eat my breakfast I received a call from Ford Service indicating that I had a front and back spring broken. After reading these complaints I am appauled that Ford will not stand by their product. After spending more then $700.00 to replace the springs I have decided to not to stand by the Ford product. With these economic times you would think that Ford would go the extra mile to keep their customer. Sorry Ford I changed my mind I will go foreign.

• Op
    opiedawg May 03, 2009

For the second time in less than two years, I've had a coil spring (one front, one back) break on my 2002 Mercury Sable. I'm thinking it's no coincidence that the 2000 and 2001 were recalls for these parts. I'll never buy Ford/Mercury again.

• As
    askdrlork Jun 11, 2009

I just had my second coil spring break on by 02 Ford Taurus in the past 2 months. One front, one rear. The first one carved a groove in my otherwise decent tire. The second one punctured my tire. The first one cost $1148. The second should cost about the same. I am not happy.

• Fo
    Ford Sucks Jun 23, 2009

We purchased a 2002 Ford Taurus with 65, 000 miles on it. Yesterday the front driver spring snapped and punctured the tire while my 16 year daughter was driving. It had to be towed to our mechanic and he replaced both front coils. I did complain to the Ford Company and also a formal complaint to NHTSA. If everyone would call NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 they are looking into a recall, the more complaints the better!!! This is why I purchased a new Nissan.

• Fo
    Ford Cars stinks Jul 02, 2009

The front spring coil on my Mercury 2002 Sable just broke yesterday!! It also punctured my front tire which was in pretty good shape beforehand. I'm definitely calling up the NHTSA number to complain. This is ridiculous!!! The same problem has happened to all these cars, why won't they extend the warranty to cover this year model car? My dad is figuring to replace both front coils because we plan on keeping this car for a while. This is the last time I buy a Ford!!!

• Jb
    jbusey Aug 09, 2009

I too own a 02 Taurus with 75000 miles, my springs haven't broken yet but I'm starting to hear noises from the front and back. I'm so tired of the so called big 3 manufacturing crap!!! I hear everywhere buy American but I'm sick of the junk we produce. I'll have to shop around for my next car to make sure none of it was made here!!! Perhaps a KIA!!!

• Sd
    Sda Ford Customer Jan 06, 2010

January 6, 2010

The week before Christmas, I got into my 2002 Ford Taurus and heard a noise under my car that sounded like someone hit it with a sledge hammer. As I drove (slowly), I could hear a rubbing sound. I got out and looked and my passenger back tire was leaning in. I called road service (and waited seven hours in the cold) and the tow trick driver told me that I had a broken spring. It was towed to my regular repair shop. I had to replace both rear springs and both struts - $750.00. Well, two days ago, I went to back out of my daughter's garage and I heard an awful screeching noise from my front end. I drove back in and found I had a flat passenger front tire, and there was a piece of coil lying on the garage floor. It had broken and punctured a hole in the back side wall of the tire. It is currently in the shop and will need both front springs done, with struts, and front end allignment and a new tire. Probably another $750.00 or more. I am going to drive this car only until Spring and I will be trading it for, probably, a Toyota. I believe in buying American, but this is why The Big Three are tanking. They don't stand by you when there is an obvious problem. I just praise God that I was where I could get help both times and not on the highway at high speed.

• Ge
    Gene Camararta Apr 15, 2011

I have replaced both front and rear coil springs and struts on my 2002 Taurus. It's little wonder that people are moving away from US built cars, there are so many things like this affecting US cars, and the manufacturers are unwilling to make it right. I will return to buying imports after my experinces with two domestic cars.

• Mj
    mjbtompkins Apr 29, 2011

Front right coil spring on our 2002 Mercury Sable did just as others on this board are complaining about. went to pull out of the parking space and the front tire went completely flat. After pulling forward and back to get away from the curb to get a jack under to change what we thought was a flat, the spring had torn through half the tire. We'll see the damage ($$$) tomorrow. I plan on calling the numbers listed. Thanks.

• Te
    Terri S. May 24, 2011

We own a 2003 Ford Taurus & just gave a 2002 Mercury Sable to my daughter. Her front coil spring broke, tearing up the sidewall of the tire. As close as we can tell, she is looking at $500.00 in repairs, which as a college student, she CAN NOT afford. This is the second major problem this car has had, the first being the transaxle going out of it 3 or 4 years ago. (AX4N). The same transaxle was in the 03 Taurus, & it too needed replaced. We, as a country, need to sue Ford in a class action lawsuit to get them to STOP putting unsafe junk on the road!!

• Th
    TheCycoONE Jun 05, 2011

The same thing just happened to my 2002 Ford Taurus. Front left coil spring broke and cut the sidewall of the tire. Had to replace coil, struts, and links. (Both sides to be cautious about it). Didn't realize the extent of the damage when I put on the spare and took it to the tire shop. Now they have it and want > $1000.

• Ng
    Ngoloyi Feb 07, 2012

Just another confirmation that there is something defective in the '02 Taurus coil springs. My wife was driving down the street when all of a sudden there were plumes of smoke caused by a broken spring cutting into the tire. Tire then exploded. I wrote Ford and was told "sorry...your warranty has expired".

• Da
    davidw1 Aug 29, 2012

Just happened with my 2002 T
    aurus - 70000 mile. In the front. Sorry to see no recall. Sounds like I should get all 4 replaces - or at the very least both in the front.
    Still waiting for the shop to call.
    Any updates on the recall.

• Br
    Brodchef Nov 08, 2012

Replacing my 2nd front end spring in 5 yrs. both times it took my fairly new tires with them.2002 Ford Taurus. Definitely a 2001 safety issue that was never resolved. I read Fords recall fix was just to add a plate to keep spring from puncturing tire not fixing the actual spring.

• Ba
    Bandit6989 Mar 24, 2013

Well i will add my two cents. I just got new tires at Belle tire in Michigan on my wife's 2001 Taurus wagon. Planning to get an alignment they checked the front end out and low and behold found the front passenger spring broke. They wanted 713 dollars to change the struts and springs. I do my own work, but what BS. I work at Fords and this is the first Ford i have bought since 1995 when i had a junk Escort. Now i bought a used junk Taurus. I drive a 2008 grand caravan myself because i feel fords won't take care of ANYBODY. Not even their own employees complaints. So don't feel bad. I will probably get rid of this nightmare shortly and buy a used Chrysler for my wife next. Thanks for nothing Fords.

• We
    Weiming May 31, 2013

I have a 2003 Ford Tuarus . The front passenger side coil spring broke and shredded my brand new tire which was just installed a few hours earlier! I had to purchased another new tire as well as to spend over a thousand dollars more to repair the damage! Never buy another Ford

• Bh
    Bhushanpatil20 Aug 24, 2019

My car is only 8 months old and its alloy breakdown in 2 pices

Is that quality of ford ?

• Ri
    Rick C74538 Sep 01, 2019

No power to positive post on trailer plug. Why did I purchase a trailer towing package or a ford truck for that matter $54, 999 if my new truck doesn't work? 2019 ford FX4. Specifically wanted power to trailer to keep battery charged to run led lights in storage compartment. Very disappointed in product that doesn't work.

• Am
    Aman Sukhija Sep 14, 2019

My vehicle number is dl10ch8665.
    Ford is compensation for 50%
    But not any my fault ., where is warranty.
    My contact number is 9818767171

• Dc
    Dcc8120 Sep 15, 2019

While still under extended warenty I took my 2010 FORD FUCSION for a jerking motion when it got hot.My son-in-law borrowed it to drive to tucson.On the way back up the hill it totally stopped and had to be towed 150 miles @FOUNDONROADDEAD

Manoj Kadamamkulam Sep 18, 2019

My car(KL 22 D 2013, Ford Figo) was running smoothly without any issues until the service. After the routine service, I had to spent 25, 000+ for using my car. In addition, I had to use towing service two times.

Reference - 800272941

Manoj
    (9847544386)

• Wa
    Wanda Faye Nov 09, 2019

A mouse house was removed from engine compartment and a wire was relaced/repaired. My complaint is about all the debris left on the engine. Not cool! This is why I hate taking my vehicle to a dealer.

• Si
    Sid Gedling Dec 25, 2019

I bought a new F-150 and have not been pleased with dealer eversince can not get service or any kind of caring .If had to do over would have gone to GMC dealer. never going to buy aother ford nor reccomend Ford again.You cannot get service when needed or you wait for months

• As
    Asavage86 Feb 04, 2020

Our 2015 has multiple failures, wheel hub went bad at 25000 motor for seat has gone bad and now with 30000 miles our rack and pinion needs to be replaced I'm very upset as the repair is 2200 this seems to be a known issue with the car as if it fails this is very dangerous, is there a recall coming for this ? This is very upsetting