Ford Motor Companypvd wheels chrome peeling off of the rims

M

I have contacted the dealer that my $58k truck has the chrome coming off the rims and I was told they can't help me. I have been a loyal Ford owner for 40 yrs and this is the first time I've had an issue and cannot get any resolution. I'm very disappointed I spent that much for what I thought was a quality product to have to eventually go buy after market rims so my truck doesn't look like junk going down the road. Local dealers don't seem to care, they made the sale and have acknowledged it's a problem and are more concerned with selling me a new truck. Very disappointed, any help would be appreciated.
I do have a case number that no one want's to acknowledge that I filed after the selling dealer told me there was a recall coming for the wheels. They lied to me about that. Any help would be appreciated to restore my faith in Ford,

Case #cas16158248

Thank you.
Mark Mihalick

• Cb
    CBPritchard Apr 26, 2021

2017 Ford F-150 20" chrome like PVD flaking horribly. Just had the engine torn down and cams, tensioners, timing belts replaced under warranty at 36000 miles. Probably be my last Ford. To bad. Used to be a great American car company. Never had a second of trouble out of my Tacoma...

• Jl
    JL Williams Mar 30, 2021

Just got my letter back from Ford about my 2017 F250 PVD Rim coating peeling off. I was told they don't have any records of this being an issue and therefore will not help me out in any way what so ever. Sad, losing customer loyalty left and right because of them not standing behind their quality anymore.

• Ra
    Randy Pickard Mar 14, 2021

Last for new Ford I will buy. Stand behind your product like you have done in the past. Like every other big corporation sales trump quality. So sad.

• Jb
    JB341 Jan 29, 2021

I completely understand the frustration of having your wheels peel. Peeling of the F150 wheels (especially from [protected]) is a known issue. If you are interested in exchanging the wheels, there is a company out of Michigan (The Wheel Exchange) that will has newly refinished replacement wheels (OEM) for $990 (includes shipping). They do take a core deposit until your existing wheels are returned and shipping includes both getting the new wheels to you and you sending them back to the company. The new wheels are shipped up front and once you have your tires swapped, you just send the old ones back. They offer a coating called DuraChrome that comes in both bright and black chrome and their coating is done in their facilities and comes with a 5-year warranty. Check out their site -> https://www.thewheelexchange.com/sea...prefix%5D=last. Their sales specialist for F150 wheels can be reached at [email protected]

• De
    Defective Ford Wheels Oct 19, 2020

Purchased our 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum edition in March from a large Ford dealer in North Carolina . In September we discovered wheels are peeling and finish coming off on all wheels. We called the dealer, where we purchased this Explorer and spoke to warranty dept. ( We did purchase additional warranty) Dealer acknowledged they are AWARE premium wheels are having these same PROBLEMS, but not something our expensive warranty would cover, even though they ACKNOWLEDGED other high end Fords are having this problem. We were advised it would cost $ 752.00 per wheel ( plus labor $ 127.50 ( Total $3, 135.50) and NOTHING WOULD BE COVERED!
    Did I say we just bought this Vehicle in MARCH!
    I called Ford Motor Consumer Affairs and filed a complaint and received a case #. Ford consumer affairs called the dealer, called us back to tell us we would have to take our vehicle to dealer for their review ( 1.5 hrs away) to see the issue.
    When we took vehicle to this dealer ( October 9, 2020) a service person took photos and acknowledged the peeling, flaking . The process took all of 10 minutes and told it would be reviewed.

Between Ford Motor Company and this large dealer, they have tragically and outrageously advised us we would get the “ warranty rate” of $3123.47 plus labor . Then Ford consumer affair rep stated FORD MOTOR COMPANY negotiated for us and reduced “ the warranty rate they would pay to $ 1404.62, leaving us responsible for the remaining balance 1718.85.
    That’s 3 car payments for a high end vehicle we have only had since 7 months!!
    This is UNACCEPTABLE especially when other consumers are having this same issue and the DEALER ACKNOWLEDGED, others are experiencing this.
    These high end alloy wheels are DEFECTIVE and FORD needs replace them at NO COST for consumers.

• Mc
    Mckenzi Oct 06, 2020

I purchased a 2017 Ford F150 Lariat from Maryland Ford Dealership and I purchased the Ford Protect Warranty Premium care upgrade for CPO April 6 2020 at 38, 700 miles and was told it was bumper to bumper but that was untrue. Just this month Sept. 2020 I noticed the driver's side wheel was peelig in three spots. I called the warranty company and they said I would need to take the vehicle to the ford dealership. I did and after 3 hours they said this was cosmetic and was not covered under the extended warranty and the bumper to bumper warranty expired at 36, 000 miles. There appears to be a proble with these wheels and it is a shame tha Ford does not stand behind the product because the issue does not always show up prior to 36, 000 miles. I also think it is shameful that they claim everything is covered except routine maitenence when it is not. Thanks very much.
    Mckenzi Johnson [email protected]

• Pa
    Paula Bridges Oct 28, 2020

@Mckenzi We also purchased a 2017 Ford F150 Lariat on May 2, 2017 in Nacogdoches Texas also with the Premium Care 5 Years or 75, 000 Miles coverage. Just had 4 new Michelin Defender LTX tires installed and now all four 20" Chrome-Like PVD Wheels have very bad peeling or flaking of chrome after the installation.
    Does anyone have any advice on what course of action to take at Ford to get a reasonable reimbursement for the wheels since we have not been notified of this Ford Parts issue ?

• Ho
    Howard Sheckter Oct 19, 2019

I had the same issue with my 2016 F150 Lariat. I found out about the problem at Costco in Carson City NV when after installing 4 new tires, the service manager warned be about the Chrome flaking on the rims. I knew I had a 36, 000 Bumper to Bumper warranty. Problem was, I had 35, 560 miles on my truck. After driving another 120 miles home, I call our ford agency the next morning and he told me that I had to drive the truck in so he could see it. I did so the next day and put another 45 miles on the truck just to get to the agency. He took photos of each wheel including the odometer and sent them off to ford.
    About two hours later, the service manager called me an I have happy to say that Ford said that they would honor the warranty and would ship out four new 20 inch rims in a couple of days. I was totally blown away! To me they are a stand up company and will purchase another Ford Truck again!

• De
    Defective Ford Wheels Oct 19, 2020

@Howard Sheckter Hello
    So elated to see you had the issue with defective wheels taken care. Would you provide the phone number of whom you dealt with?
    We have same issue with out wheels on our Ford Explorer Platinum edition and we are not being taken care of. I see others on this platform are not receiving the customer service and great outcome you got.