Fifth Third Bankunfair banking practice

Fifth Third Bank is dispicable in their banking practices. About four years ago I moved from the Kalamazoo Michigan area to a small town in NE Georgia. There are no branches for Fifth Third Bank anywhere near this small Georgia town, so I attempted to close my 5/3 bank account in favor of opening a new account at another bank that has branches in this small town. When I attempted to close the account, I learned that I had a debt to 5/3 to the tune of around $2, 200.00. That was a valid debt. Fortunately, I was traveling to St. Louis which has a few 5/3 branches, so I went to a branch and paid them the entire amount to bring all the debt to ZERO and asked them to close the account. Well, apparently, by the time the $2, 200 hit that account, a charge for Overdraft Protection was hit that account, so that brought that account to negative 35.00. I was not aware that this occurred and thought that my 5/3 account was resolved and closed.

Several months later, I got a call from 5/3 indicating that I owed them around $130.00 (because they kept charging that account Overdraft Protection every month from the time I "thought" I had closed the account). Of course, I was upset, but I opted to roll-over and pay the money. Fortunately, I was still traveling to St.Louis and went to the same 5/3 branch and had them pull up the account to get the current amount owed (again, around $130.00), and paid them the money and requested that they close the account again. Well, the same thing happened! Apparently, between the time I physically handed the cashier the money (and again requested they close the account), but before the 130 was applied, another Overdraft Protection fee was applied...and of course, that brought the account to a negative balance. Of course, I was not aware this had occurred until a couple of months later in June 2010, I got a call from 5/3 to say that I owed them more money ($77.00 this time). At this point, I became very upset, but tried to reason with the 5/3 representative by walking them through the sequence of events. My arguments fell upon deaf ears and the representative (as well as others in subsequent phone calls) insisted that I needed to pay the money before the account could be closed. At this point, I just kept telling the representatives that I refuse to pay any more money, they needed to waive the fees and close the account.

Eventually, the calls stopped and I forgot about the whole matter. Well, last week, I got a letter from an attorney out of Colorado called Lukehart & Associates demanding payment of $785.00 (as of the date December 27, 2010) to resolve the 5/3 matter. Incredible!!! I am not sure how the amount this attorney claims I owe went from 77.00 to 785.00 in just 6-7 months, but that is what this attorney stated in his letter. I responded to his letter with a letter of my own and sent it registered mail and walked through the entire scenario. I also demanded a full accounting of the claims and suggested that he recommend to his client (5/3 Bank), that they drop the matter. Of course, I fully expect the attorney to continue to pursue this matter, I am sure it is going to cost me more money one way or another.

Anyone who has a suggestion of how to fight back against this harrassment, I am certainly open to suggestions.

• Cl
    Clory Aug 19, 2010

Does anyone know of a class action suit against Fifth Third? Or should we start one? I would be in!

Greg Simon Jan 17, 2011

First of all Stealth Pilot, I was not using the account. I was trying to close the account; but 5/3 kept putting new charges on (Overdraft "Protection"), and not closing the account. The first debt of 2, 200 WAS VALID (as far as I could tell), and I paid it that day and asked for the account to be closed. But then they continued to charge the account (more Overdraft "Protection" fees). So it was not like I was going out and making purchases against that account. As I said, the additional charges that Fifth Third kept putting on this account (another 130.00), I went ahead and paid that too, and asked to close the account. But they kept charging this account and not closing it.

Secondly, PSUGUY58, my first point to Stealth Pilot applies. So I have been paying my debts and the scenario is a complaint, not an excuse. However, you are saying to go ahead and pay the 795.00; but it is actually 785. Let's walk through this. 1. I paid the 2200 2. I "rolled over" and paid the extra 130.00 3. Each time I asked to have the account closed after I paid 5/3 what they were asking for. 4. What is to prevent this from continuing even if I pay the 785?

You guys are ###s. If you, and Stealth Pilot had actually read my comments closely, you would understand that I have paid my debts and am not making excuses and you will also understand that I have made reasonable attempts to resolve the matter.

Greg Simon Jan 17, 2011

Well, all I can say is "good for you". Let me ask you a question, do you require supplemental oxygen while you are on your pedastal?

Greg Simon Jan 17, 2011

I fail to understand how I am a "deadbeat", when I physically go to a 5/3 Bank Branch, get the amount I "owe" as of that day and pay them the money that very same day (within minutes of getting the amount from the teller) and then ask them to close the account out so no further charges can be applied.

I find it interesting that you are so prepared to defend Fifth Third Bank (unless you are an employee), given that I take time out of my day while I am traveling on business to resolve the matter. I will grant you this point, I should have taken care of the account prior to relocating. I am just saying that I travel every week on business (have been for 10 years), and time is short. Since I do all my banking electronically, as I travel extensively), I simply assumed (and don't give me that assinine line regarding "you know what happens when you assume..."), that it would be easy enough to close a bank account even if I am not in the city where the original account was established.

Be that as it may, I still contend that I have made reasonable attempts to resolve the matter physically at a 5/3 Bank branch in the Saint Louis area to pay what I owe and close the account. Do you really think that I would pay that much money, and spend that much time trying to resolve the matter just to leave the account open...an account that is inconvenient to maintain...and let the charges for Overdraft Protection (not Overdraft fees...Overdraft Protection) continue to be levied on my account? Face it, Fifth Third Bank is wrong on this matter.

One more point should be made, you should be aware that there is a class action suit filed in US District Court (Portland Oregon) regarding Improper Overdraft Fees from the period of sometime beginning in 2004 until July of 2010. I received a notice from the US District Court indicating that Fifth Third Bank has identified me as being one of the complaintants that fall under this class action suit. So, you can take that any way you want; but I feel that lends credence to my contention that Fifth Third Bank is in the wrong. This is one of the points I made to Lukehart & Associates, PC in my response.

Greg Simon Jan 17, 2011

Here is a link for info on the Class Action Suit.

Greg Simon Jan 17, 2011

By the way, for any who may be following this thread, I made a comment on Stealth Pilots complaint about Spammers where I commented that it was a "Trivial complaint". I just want it to be known that those two words that I posted were "petty" on my part. For context, see http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/spam-advertisements-c384934.html#c868361

Obviously, I really did not know what I was talking about. So I withdrew my comment publically on her thread. One should not make statements such as I did about spamming being a trivial just to retaliate in anger to comments on my thread regarding my issue with Fifth Third Bank.

However, I do have a question for Stealth Pilot regarding her comments on my thread...what makes you such an authority on my issue?

Greg Simon Jan 17, 2011

Do I hear crickets chirping? Nothing back from PSUGUY58 or Stealth Pilot? No golden words of wisdom from these advocates of righteousness? I am begging PSUGUY58 and Stealth Pilot to explain to me why they are so qualified to make the comments they have made regarding my complaint about Fifth Third Bank. Do you two have information that proves me wrong? If so, will you share that with me documentation (i.e., provide ledger entries from Fifth Third Bank) that proves I am wrong regarding my claims?

I posted this account of my issue regarding Fifth Third Bank in an effort to seek guidance for help to resolve the matter; not just to be told, "pay what they say you owe". I have gone down that road, and it has not resolved the issue. I have turned to this forum to look for other avenues to resolution. Like I said, I have paid 2200 which was the total amount I "owed" the first time and asked to close out the account in question at Fifth Third Bank. That did not work. I also paid the additional 130.00 and asked to have the account closed. That did not work. Then Fifth Third Bank told me to pay 77.00 more before they would close the account. Sorry, not going to do it because I did that two times prior. Now they want me to pay 785.00 (as of December 27, 2010...which implies that the amount is continue to rise). Sorry folks, this is a cycle that won't stop...been there a couple of times. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now you want to fool me a third and forth time? No way.

Stealth Pilot, and PSUGUY58, you two have not "qualified" your advice. No need to comment further. All others, I welcome your advice.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

Just to let you all know...I just received an e-mail from Mr. Mark Lukehart, a military man who has agreed to send this file back to Fifth Third Bank, and he will not pursue this matter further. I thank Mr. Lukehart, and salute his military service.

However, I intend to pursue this matter further directly with Fifth Third Bank as they have caused me much aggravation, in addition to their unfair business practices which has cost me money directly, as well as indirectly through my having to take time to address these issues whic cause me to lose billing hours which affects my income.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

I figured you work for 5/3... "Racked up another job it seems. That accusation gets so ****ing old" Hhhmmm...not sure what "Racked up another job" means. And the fact that you need to resort to using profanity is exempalary of the caliber of of the type of people who work for 5/3. Thanks, I appreciate the documentation of the type of people who work for Fifth Third. Rest assured, this whole dialog will be used as I make my case against this organization. Keep it up! I love it!

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

By the way, can you back up your statements?

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

At least I have the gonads to use my real name. What is your real name Stealth Pilot? Do you have the guts to use your real name while you make these statements?

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

and I don't want just your first name. I want your whole name and your employee identification. You don't have the balls to do it. LOL

please send it to [protected]@gdsimonllc.com

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

I'm willing to lay it on the line...used my real name and my e-mail address. I can be easily tracked. How about you Stealth Pilot of Rosebud, South Dakota...you going to lay it on the line? Are you really a Fifth Third employee? Because if you are not, you put enough statements out here to represent yourself as a 5/3 employee; and if you are not, you put enough out here to put you at risk to be sued by 5/3 for false representation. Come on, lets see what kind of guts you have.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

How about you PSUGUY58, you willing to put it on the line as wel?

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

Can't do that Brenda...but I appreciate what you are trying to do. No, I cannot let it go. Fifth Third Bank is milking me unjustly, so I can't let it go. And with people like Stealth Pilot who make statements like they are about me being a deadbeat, when I am trying to resolve this issue as I have explained in this forum, I can't let it go. The purpose of this forum is to publish a complaint and look for help. Stealth Pilot represented herself as a 5/3 employee and called me a deadbeat. No ma'am, I'm going to fight this all the way. I am not going to "roll-over" any more. I have paid though the nose above and beyond what is expected. We are talking lawsuit now, and I am going to pursue this to the fullest extent.

Thanks for your concern. Now butt out, unless you are a 5/3 representative who is willing to contact me directly to resolve this issue. My e-mail address has been published so if you want to call me, e-mail me your contact number and we'll talk. Otherwise, stay out of it.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

And Brenda, by the way, stay out of my sex life. No need to tell me to "get laid". Be professional for crying out loud.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

Christ, apparently, this is the wrong forum...a lawyer is apparently needed. Not this stupid site. Man, you come here looking for advice and I get bullcrap like this.

What a waste.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

Prove it JDH55...have them contact me via e-mail and set up a conference call. If they are 5/3 employees I am willing to listen, if not...then they are just anonymous ###s, along with you who have nothing to do but butt into business they have no reason to be in. Otherwise, I want to know who they are so I can include them in my complaint on a legal level. But my guess is that ya'll are just "wannabes" who just are not willing to put your dick on the line. So far, I'm the only one who has put his info on the line to try to RESOLVE the issue. You guys, SP, PSUGUY58, Brenda and you JDH55, are just idiots who have NOTHING BETTER TO DO then get involved in a commercial complaint that has nothing to do with you, unless you are 5/3 employees who can get involved. If you are not, then you are nothing. So contact me me, and help me resolve this issue. Otherwise, you are just taking away any value of this site.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

My god, I cannot beleive this Brenda...if I wanted a "hookup site", I am sure I would to something like e-harmony, or match.com, or yahoo...not complaintboard.com...jesus christ, is this for real? I'm trying to resolve an issue with a BANK. And by the way, Brenda, YOU are the one that suggested I get laid, not me. I am trying to stop an issue with 5/3 who keeps milking me for money! Is this for real? Good god, I guess I need to direct a system administrator for this site to this thread so that they can revue it for appropriateness. No doubt, I am trying to stay on subject, but it is you guys (at least you Brenda), who are trying to turn this into something else. Uh, didn't you read the orginal post, and my subsequant replies? What the hell, over?

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

I understand this is not a "legal site", and I will get opinions. I would just like the opinions to stay on topic. System Administrator has been advised to review this thread and asked to take appropriate action.

Best Regards
    Greg

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

complaintsboard.com...hmmmm...don't you think the website suggests that this is the place to whine? But you guys are talking about "hooking up", and playing "paddycake"? Uh, am I missing something about the point of this site. I mean, isn't Stealth Pilot "whining" about spam mail? What the hell? Just what is the point of this site? I mean, COMPLAINTSboard.com doesnt' mean something? What the hell is up with that?

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

ya'll crack me up...you really do.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

and by the way, I do have a bank account...several in fact for personal as well as for my business, which I have conducted business well with for several years. If ya'll would just look at the original thread about a COMPLAINT regarding Fifth Third Bank which I have an issue with, and was looking for constructive help with resolving an issue regarding an Unfair Banking Practice, it would be useful. But ya'll have a propensity to go off topic and start attacking other things about me which has nothing to do with the original topic. Pathetic.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

I mean, Brenda...be for real, does "lighten up, grab a beer, and get laid" have anything to do with being charged unfairly with fees on an account with Fifth Third Bank? Is that really a valid comment regarding this thread?

How old are ya'll...13?

• BiG Money Jan 18, 2011

Here Simon some sound advice for you!

Comments

• BiG Money Jan 18, 2011

Or try this since you are into losing money.

Comments

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

LOL..OK, I get it...this is not a legit consumer advocacy site. Nice pic Big Money...you must be 12 years old. Is that Simon game yours? You must play with it daily. Someday, maybe you can move up a grade or two and get that game that teaches you farm animal sounds. Nice.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

And the cow says, "Moooooooo". What a bunch of losers.

System Administrator, feel free to delete this entire pathetic thread.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

My god...between Obama and the Democratic controlled Senate...no wonder we are going to hell...not to mention the pathetic generation represented here who have responded to my consumer complaint. God Bless our Nation and I hope to hell that I don't meet these people who have posted responses to my inquiry in the board room.

America...we are ###ed!

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

Board room...that's where grown ups gather to discuss the direction of business. You pathetic ###.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

49 years old, and have served in the military. Been through tough times, good times, and back to bad times; at least given our current economic issues. I support our troops, and am more then ready to do battle on any front. What say you, you piece of ###? How old are you? Will you support our nation? Will you go into battle? Will you work for our Nation? Or are you just a young punk who thinks he (or she) knows everything and can save the world? Will you work for your family? Will you lay down your life for something greater then yourself? I think not, I think you are just a self-serving piece of ### who thinks the world revolves around you and don't give a damn about the consequences of your actions.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

Now I am off topic...but what the hell, ya'll set the precedence on this site. I thought I was posting on a consumer advocacy group, but that was proved defunct early in this thread. So bring it on MF! Ignorant AH

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

Viet Nam? Name your unit, and dates...

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

better do it quickly...google is too convenient

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

give me your name, rank, unit, and dates...I got it all to check you piece of commy ###

Wannabe

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

What weapons have you fired? What unit have you served with? Where have you been? You think you can intimidate me? You are 13 to 21...you haven't seen ###.

Greg Simon Jan 18, 2011

Do you even now what a CIB is?