Fifth Third Bank / 53.com Logo

Fifth Third Bank / 53.com

Having problems with Fifth Third Bank / 53.com?

+1 866 671 5353 (Customer Service)
+1 513 579 5353 (International)
+1 800 972 3030 (Personal)
+1 877 534 2264 (Business)
+1 866 475 0729 (Commercial)
+1 800 782 0279 (Lost & Stolen)
+1 866 351 5353 (Home Loan Or Refinance)
+1 866 531 4249 (Open A New Account)
38 Fountain Square Plaza

For All Other Accounts
Fifth Third Bank, 5050 Kingsley Dr., MD β„– 1MOCOP, Cincinnati, OH 45263

Complaints & Reviews

deceptive practices/cashing of checks

On Thursday 1/27/11 I sent out a check for my car loan (through a different bank.) I did not check my bank...

unfair banking practice

Fifth Third Bank is dispicable in their banking practices. About four years ago I moved from the Kalamazoo...

93 comments Mattawan Banks

overdraft fees

Fifth bank charge me 788.81 in overdrafted fees on my checking account. I live in Michigan and have no job!...

fifth third is unethical!!

Do not bank at Fifth Third! I opened a CD and the banker told me I had to open a checking account with it so...

fees, incompotence, decptive practices

I became a customer of 5/3 bank afer they purchased Old Kent Bank back in 2017 or 2017. I must say the only reason I bank there is becuase it is a hassle to change banks. Service when visiting a branch is always slow, has they are understaffed, and staffed by people who are very slow in performing their duties. I undertsand that the inept need jobs too, and an inept bank is as good of place as any.

5/3 bank has failed every time I have required them to do much of anything, from ordering checks to clearing deposits, to processing online requests 5/3 bank is slow and inept. They love to charge fees (I understand when you are an inept bank, run by inept bankers, and make alot of bad loans and lose a lot of money, you need to get make the money back, but is feeing the average to death the only way? Weill I guess inept is as inept does.

The best way to describe dealing with 5/3 bank goes like this: You must protect yourself and your money from this place if you choose to bank here. A bank makes money off its customers, so always expect 5/3 bank to act on behalf of 5/3 bank and not you. This bank survives by seperating you from your money, and will look to do so whenever it can legally or illgeally.

Remember it is YOUR money and YOU are granting them the honor of holding your money, they are there to serve you, and if they don't, you have choices and can move your money elsewhere.

• Ds
    ds47978 Oct 25, 2010

Fifth/Third Bank is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. They sure do steal your money. I went through my last 2 months statements and found several errors, including a overdraft charge just thrown in for good measure. No transaction even took place but there's a $37.00 overdraft. Debits that were supposed to be one transaction taken out 2-5 times. Would you believe neither party want to reimburse the fees that I was so blatantly charged for an obvious error. Run from 5/3.

Alex Peele Oct 27, 2010

Fifth Third Bank is stealing from us. We had a car loan from a GM dealer and 5 3 would not let us pay it off. They refused to give us the account number so that we could pay it off. Before the first payment was due, we paid over 95% of the loan amount. this was the amount they told us was due. They next harassed us on Saturday, threatening us that we were in default. We finally overpaid the loan.
    We also had an extended warranty which we immediately cancelled three days after getting the loan giving us a total refund. This was part of the loan we had with 5 3 bank. They were to refund this warranty cost in full. We never received the refund check. After many calls to 5 3 bank in which they said a check was sent, they told us another check was being sent. We received a check dated the day after that last call. We deposited it in our local bank. Two weeks later, 5 3 bank stopped payment on the check effectively stealing money out of our account. Not only that, our bank charged us a fee for this. We have been calling 5 3 bank for a week and they keep giving is the run around. This is common theft. They have no intention of giving us our money back. They will not let us talk to anyone but a telephone screener.
    My advice is to run as fast as you can from Fifth Third Bank. If not, you will regret it.

• Mi
    michelle kauffman Jan 01, 2011

I also have a complaint with 5/3 bank I just recently wrote a check out for my niece to cash at my 5/3 bank . They charged her $8.00 to cash that check b/c she didn't bank there. Hmmmm. i wonder why !!!
    That is my Money, I earned it and its mine to spend .it is NOT however for 5/3 to steal from me. and yes it stealing without my permission. I'am debating to file a police report. I could of went throught the ATM and gave her cash and wouldn't have gotten charged and when i write checks out for bills they don't charge me for that. I also my self can go to any bank and cash checks and I do not get charged !!!
    I want my money back!!!

• Wy
    wygs Jul 10, 2012

A $0.50 bank card overdraft fee developed because they double charged for use of a "foreign atm." While out of town and out of touch, it became $90 in 2 months and $190 in 4 months. That's an annual rate of 152000%. When asked if there's any way to settle this in a meaningful manner, the answer is, "No! Pay up!"

These are predatory practices. There should be laws . . . !!!

• Ed
    Ed Benner Nov 21, 2013

So sad they bought First National Bank, I banked there for years First national was a very good Bank, Shortly after 5/3rd purchased First National things went South 5/3 too big and very disfunctional

outrageous overdraft fees

Starting 11/8/10 when my employer failed to direct deposit my pay check, I had to take a live check to the bank ASAP to cover my bills. My rent had not come out yet, but amazing enough, the day after I deposited the check, the account was already in the negative collecting fees galore! Between the dates of 11/9/10 until 11/17/10, Fifth Third had taken over $1100 in fees. Of course, when I went in the bank, after I had borrowed money out of my future check to get it out of the negative, the man in the bank stated that he was "just a Peon" and the bank manager was on vacation. He also told me "matter of factly" that I would be incurring another $200 in fees at midnight. He couldn't do anything! Yea Right! He never showed me a list of what all charges were individually, just a statement of lumped together fees that made no sense. The manager was "supposed" to call me when she got back from the vacation I probably paid for. That didn't happen either. Well, I won't be having Christmas thanks to Fifth Third Bank. They are nothing more than thieves!

savings account and rude manager

Kimberly the manager was very rude when trying to explain a problem I had and not willing to take further steps to help me in the problem I currently have with 5/3 bank. I have been with5/3 bank over 10 years. I recently found out that I have been charged $5 a month in my savings account. I had no idea that a $5 charge was given for a savings account that was less than a $200 balance. I was recently told that there is a higher interest savings account that does not give a charge at all. I do not understand why this was never offered when I have been a good customer for so long. I would like all the money returned to me that was taken out for a so called "maintenance" fee. I was not aware of this charge and do not agree with these charges. I can be reached at [protected]. My name is Greg Phipps. Thank you for your time.

incompetent and unhelpful

I took out a loan with 5/3 and had nothing but problems with them hounding me for additional information during the first few weeks. The whole thing made me want to go somewhere else and get a loan to payoff that loan. However, there is a prepayment penalty until 6 months before payoff.

I always made my payment early or on the due date. When I finally got to the 6 month mark, I called and got a payoff then went directly to the bank to payoff the loan. I asked the teller if there was any per diem, she told me no. She took the money and gave me a receipt.

Then, instead of getting the release of lein, I got a late notice in the mail. I called the customer service department. After going through the telephone maze and pushing what seemed like a thousand buttons, I finally got a live person. He was nice enough but could not understand why there was a late charge assessed when it showed that a large payment had been received. He then transferred me to his supervisor Charles who was rude and condesending. He said the teller was incompetent and did not do her job right. He refused to resolve the issue and send my release of lein stating I owed more money. He refused to let me talk to his supervisor and kept telling me "this is how it is going to be". I was absolutely livid by the time I hung up on him.

I called back, went through the telephone maze again trying to contact the senior vice president's office that signed the late notice I received. They refused to put my call through or give me his office number. I left a message but don't hold out much hope of ever hearing from him - especially after reading all the internet complaints today.

I will NEVER do business with this bank again. All I want is a relase of lein.

• At
    A. Thomas E. Jul 11, 2012

5 3 is extremely poor at answering questions about accounts and loans and other financial matters, either phone, mail or email. I'm regretting doing business with this 5 3 Bank.

bank errors

My son a student at Indiana State University went to McDonalds and used his card... it was declined. Puzzled, he checked his online account to find that $1000.00 was removed from his account. He called me in dispair. We assumed that he had an idenity theft issue. We were wrong. It seems that a bank teller in another state withdrew the funds and entered the wrong account (using my son's instead.) The bank removed the funds and after 2 days returned my son's missing money. He used his account 2 days. On the 3rd day his account was frozen again. It was the weekend. My son could not use his card for meals AND it seems he came down with a bad case of Poison Oak and could not pay to go to the clinic. His account was available after a wait of 5 days.
My question... we are fined from banks for our errors. Is there compensation for errors that are the bank's fault? Waiting for justice. Sharon Stewart Fort Wayne, Indiana

lani00 Sep 17, 2010

welcome come to our jersey website: http://www.b2cjersey.us

everybody!sorry bother your time a min, we are serious and professional

jersey supplier, we can offer NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA jerser, the NFL jersey

18usd each, the NHL jersey 38USD each.MLB jersey 18usd each, NAB jersey

18usd each.we have many jerseys of other players, so please contact us

for more information if you are interested in .

1) More pictures available on our website ( http://www.b2cjersey.us )
    2) Many colors available .
    3) Perfect quality, small order accepted .
    4) 100% safe door to door delivery, within 5 - 7 days air express for

small orders .

5) We have lots of jerseys in stock

6) Letters and number are sewn on jerseys body, 100% embroidery

7) Size: .48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60

8) Delivery by UPS, DHL, EMS door to door

9) Delivery in 5 - 7 days

NFL, NBA, MLB all are 18usd!!!

The jerseys in stock may be updated everyday !
    come on, join us!

credit card application security

I received a credit card application that offered a 0% APR on balance transfers and mailed it to 5th/3rd in the enclosed postage paid envelope on August 20, 2010. Having not heard anything from 5th/3rd, I became increasingly concerned, considering it has my social security number as well as other personal information and today is September 14, 2010.

I called today only to be treated as though I had done something wrong. The customer service person told me if the offer period expired, the application would be shredded and I would not receive any notification. I then told her I was extremely worried about my personal information being in the wrong hands and she told me, "You should have applied online if you are concerned".

I then explained that the website was down on the night before it was mailed (as it still is www.apply53.com) and I was of the impression that a postage paid preprinted envelope would make it to its destination.

She responded with "You should have called, we are open until 8PM Eastern Time". There was absolutely no concern as to the security of my personal information, contrary to what the website states. Furthermore, when I asked her advice as to what I should do next, I was told I could call back everyday until it comes in.

In twenty-five days I would think an envelope could make it to Australia and back. I am thoroughly displeased with 5th/3rd, will NEVER do business with them, and will ALWAYS recommend another financial institution over 5th/3rd.

• Fr
    FrustratedAlso Jun 04, 2011

I also was not able to apply online. Their website "was not available" on t he same day I received the offer.

• Gl
    Gloria Chan Feb 02, 2016

I received one of these soliciting mail allegedly from Fifth Third Bank. The website still not available. I googled the phone number and there was one complaint saying it's a p site. Can't believe they are still doing it after 5 years ! Very dodgy indeed. I took the time to write to Fifth Third Bank from their official website to let them know about this possible scam but they said there's some technical problem and my message did not go through. Don't trust this bank. Beware.

• Kr
    kristelraniel Jul 13, 2016

Hey post ! I Appreciate the points - Does anyone know if my assistant would be able to get access to a sample a form copy to fill out ?

• Ka
    KathleneBasinger Jul 20, 2016

Hi kristelraniel. my colleague acquired a blank a form example with this link http://goo.gl/Eb2BEy

rude amoung other yhings

I, v had trouble with several of the young tellers in Fifth third Bank . For one they are RUDE insensitive at...

home loan

I am a first time home buyer. Since I "did" all my banking at 5/3 I thought why not get a home loan through them..what a nitemare! Promised me the world and couldn't deliver. The agent that was helping me was completely incompitent. Never got back to me when he said he would. Ran me around for a month in a half with NO answers. The interest rate and "deal" he was getting me never even existed. Needless to say I pulled ALL my money out of my savings and checking and closed both accounts without hesitation. I will NEVER step foot in this rancid bank again. Also, I have told everyone I know this story so they won't ever bank here either!

car loan fees

I took out a car loan 2 years ago knowing I would pay it off early so when I did I was charged $150 prepayment penalty - I never sign for loans if there is a prepayment penalty and the dealer said there was not a prepayment penalty I called the bank and was refused to be able to talk to anyone in management as the customer service rep said that was not possible. As a customer of the bank I should be allowed to talk to the president of the company! They kept apologizing like I was stupid! Take your money elsewhere.

Lavada M. Hill Oct 27, 2014

I purchased a vehicle from a dealership in Natchez Mississippi, financed through 53Bank . I tried to pay the loan off a year early. Because I could not see any of my information online, how the interest racked up next to principle each month, I made the biggest mistake in my car buying history. When trying to pay off the loan I was told my loan was simple interest. So, on simple interest the amounts are so high the first two years on the front end of the loan that paying it off a year early does you no good. My interest is now $15 a month. So, at this point I only save $180.00 on my interest. Buyers beware, don't use simple interest on cars. I'm pretty sure most are financing the same. You wont save money on Bank Loans. So, when I asked how much the pay off was, they basically charged me for the months due and a pay off amount with no credit for early payoff, not even the $180.

shady business habits

we were told when we opened up our business accounts 10 years ago that the accounts have a matrix affixed to them. The matrix is cash set aside up to a certain amount to cover checks one would write, but the fee of $37.00 will apply. Out of thin air they pulled the matrix and never told us. This resulted in some checks being charged $37.00 up to 8 times, and a total in less than a month, $1321.00 in charges. They also would switch a large amount check ahead of many small ones, thus more bounces, more charges. They really are crooks.

• Rb
    Rbisys Aug 04, 2010

Greetings,

Check the credit unions in your area.
    They are non profit and usually offer all the services the the ripoff banks do.

• Br
    Bruce Coeling Aug 04, 2010

That is just what we are doing, thanks for the input

unauthorized canceling of accounts

I went to this Fifth Third on the Friday before Mother's Day of this year. I asked the person I talked...

ongoing problems poor customer service

I have a Fifth Third bank hsa account that I access online. The site has had ongoing problems at least all this year that I know of. Today is June 5, 2010. Listed below are some of the problems but not all. These are just the main one's.

1. You try to get account information and all you can get is the
Error message: System error. I do not know how long this
has actually been going on. It has affected me personally for
several months and has never been resolved. I have spent
endless hours on the phone with customer service and was
passed from one customer service rep to another. I finally
ended up with a top supervisor who had no answers other
than sorry for your inconvenience or other canned responses.
There was never any resolution to the problem by 5/3.
The final rep I talked to said there was noone left to transfer
me to.
2. They double paid a healthcare provider and it took me
over a month and endless calls to get my money back.
All the time losing interest which was never repaid. They
kept blaming the provider which after many hours of
research I found out that was not true. In the end it was
admitted by a 5/3 rep that it was a system error. Before
that happened I had been threatened by collections of
various health care provider because there was such
difficulty and delay in 5/3ds responibility of getting the
account set up in the first place.
3. The only adjective I can think of for the customer service
dept is incompetance. I suspect the problem goes deeper
than the customer service dept. Even so good luck on
getting a call back from them.
4. Account information is only updated once a month and your
lucky if it is updated within 2 months. There is no means of
contacting them on the site itself. It must be done by phone
and you are put on a merry-go-round for hours by their reps.
At the end of the ride you come up with no resolution of any
kind.

I am a business man with well over 100, 000 dollars in deposits with 5/3 in general. That money is soon to leave 5/3. I suggest
to all you do the same. I have not yet found a listing for 5/3 at
the better business bureau. A search of the better business
bureau site turns up empty for a search of Fifth third bank.
I suggest to all having problems with them to speak out with
your money by putting it elseware.

poor customer service

5/3 compromised my debt card so we were told a new card would be shipping out. My husband and I did not receive our cards. They could not take my husband word that I did not receive mine, so I had to call in. They confirmed my address and said they would active my current card until I received the new one. They asked for me to call in and cancel my card as soon as I received the new one. Two weeks later, I still haven't received my new card and when I go to use my current debit/credit card it is declined.

When I call back in, they have a 2 year old address on file and they act like it is my fault that they had the old address. By the way, they can re-active my card. I ask to speech to a manager and she was of not help. I asked for her manager and was told I could leave a message and she would probably get back to me in 2-3 days.

In the meantime, it is the weekend and I have no debt/credit card. So, if you are shopping for a bank, stay away from 5/3!!! They compromise your account, turn off your card, can't update your account properly and act like it is your fault when it was all theirs!
Dissatisfied Customer
Caledonia, MI

• Ne
    Never use 5/3 Jan 06, 2009

I will never use 5/3 again. I got two credit cards in Feb of 07 at no interest for a year in order to pay for a home addition. The total was 35, 000. Our intention was to use the credit cards to pay the contractor, then have a year to get a home equity loan and pay off the cards so we wouldn't pay interest starting Feb 08. I always paid at least double the monthly payments on each card to stay ahead. I missed one month's payment by a few days on both cards. Figuring I paided more anyway over the past several months, I called the company to see if they'd refund the late fees. They refused to and the service rep was rude and indifferent. I emailed a complaint to them about the service and never heard back. I had considered them for a home equity loan but this incident detered me from that. I got a loan from another financial insitution.

Today I tried to pay one online. I paid the other in full ontime (having gotten a paper bill) but this one I got no paper bill. My bank won't pay same day so I tried to login to 5/3. My PIN didn't owrk. I called customer service and was told the CC department is closed and they can't help.

I have a new loan and intend to pay off this card tomorow. I then will cancel both cards and never use 5/3 again.

• Da
    daisydog Jan 21, 2009

A CREDIT CARD DOESN'T WORK LIKE A LOAN. YOU CANNOT "PAY AHEAD" ON IT YOU PAY IT MONTHLY OR YOU DEFAULT. COME ON, HAVE YOU RECENTLY CRAWLED OUT FROM UNDER A ROCK, AND DON'T KNOW HOW CREDIT CARDS WORK. IT'S NOT AN INSTALLMENT LOAN IT'S REVOLVING.

• Ro
    robert hickman Aug 14, 2009

im bob hickman in indianapolis and left awhile ago the washington and lynhurt branch in indianapolis, should I report 5/3 to bbb, , , , a person at fith thrid closes my account, cause a check I wrote was not cleared and the reason it wasnt was cause teller says yes when I ask her if I needed to sign the back, so 5/3 closes my account, claims to have sent check for balance, dont have, made me sign paper releasing bank, and claims 90 days before new check can be issued with surety bond, I tried calling 5/3, saw on caller id they called, banks closes account and appears does not want to give balance, I have a safe at home with 6 figures in, what if that was in fith third account and teller wanted to close, cause, I will probably go to bbb, put this on internet and send emails to banks, woman at bank on washingington street in indy tole me they can close whenever they want, and maybe tina at customer service says, I got another customer, bye, click, , , , but your bank loves its customers, you need to give my money back, which I will open a new account at your bank, lest, , , , , , I dont even think I will get the 1100 plus back, but I know one thing, 5/3 will not ever get 100, 000 plus out of me, so they can close whenever they want, if they want, when you call number listed, there is answering machine For more information, contact:
    Paula Blackburn
    Supplier Diversity Team Lead
    [email protected]
    (513) 534-8697
    Fax: (513) 534-1960 5/3 should be bbb'd by bob hickman

• Ni
    NICHOLAS WHITAKER May 13, 2010

THAT IS THE EXACT SAME THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME, ALTHOUGH I AM OUT OF STATE AND AWAY AT SCHOOL.

• Do
    douglasw Jul 01, 2014

Anyone reading this, I advise you to never open an account with 5/3. They lie. They are unethical. They act like it's their money. They are the most fee-happy bank ever. They're lower-level employees are incompetent and their middle- and upper-management are dishonest. Be forewarned.

terrible bank

This bank does not know what they are doing. when I opened an account, I was very clear that I did not want transaction approved unless there was money in the account. This was how the account worked for a few months and then a "computer" decided to start approving transactions without regard to having money in the account. Then I set up external transfer for paying my rent. They did this one month and then decided that since my name was not on the receiving account, I could not do this. Yet another feature sold to me that does not work. Never mind that fact that it took me a month to get my billing address and physical address corrected. This many it very hard for me to purchased items on line for my business.

I also enjoyed the call chastising me for depositing a $25 third party check in the ATM when there was $2, 000 in my account.

I am trying to get away from these people. It is going to cost me some bucks.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK!

Lawrence S Dec 25, 2011

File a complaint with the federal reserve. You will be surprised how serious a complaint like this it to a bank. This will move mountains since if there are a lot of small complaints to the federal reserve they might do a more in depth investigation.

fees/poor customer service/

5/3 bank changed the way their debit cards are categorized and after their change to separate the debit card from the over-draft card they began to zing me with overdraft fees totaling almost $900 in a one week period. They then sent me a letter notifying me of the change after the fees had been assessed. no warning just fees and a cavalier attitude that we are the bank and can do what we want. I called a consumer finance show tonight and the guy suggested filing a suit against them in small claims court. He said it would be the best $45 you ever spent as 5/3 will now have to have one of their lawyers review the case and burn up their $$$. He also said that more than likely someone with a brain will realize that they should refund the charges versus tying up their lawyers in the suit. If you are a customer I suggest leaving them as the only way they can make money is via fees - just look at the millions we (taxpayers) had to put up due to their fabulous investments in Florida...

poor, poor, poor bank

My husband died in 2007, he had a truck loan in his name only with 5 / 3 bank, i went into bank a couple of week after his death with a death certificate in hand, explained to them he had died and his loan was in his name only but that i wanted to keep truck, what i need to do, i was told by the bank manager that as long as it was paid and on time nothing needed to be done, i left and made payments on time. In 2009 when the vehicle was almost paid for, i have the repo man coming to my house, stalking out my place, i call the bank, they say the payment was late that month and that's why the repo was sent. The truck is not in my care, my husband's son has this vehicle and they continue to harress me. If there is anyone who read this that will be filing a class action suit please let me no, you can reach me at : [protected]@yahoo.com. Thanks

• Ke
    Kenneth05 Jan 22, 2011

Fifth Third Bank has been sued in a class action in Illinois. The website is www.overdraftsettlement.com. The case number is 1:09-cv-06655, which is pending in the Northern District Court of Illinois.

If you object to the settlement, you should file your objection in court.

Fifth Third Overdraft Settlement