Family Dollar Storesemployee complaint/no breaks given

Ju Nov 07, 2019 Review updated:

I came aboard as an asst mgr, just as I started the store mgr over 28 yrs left and her asst mgr whom both hired me left after 10 years, I started noticing a lot of unethical stuff going on, employees doing things against policy and it was reported by another employee to the district mgr so far she is still working with me on the schedule, I received no training, and boom has to close the store, did not know what to do, so after 3 hours I locked the safe and left a note for my store mgr, I received some training now, but why is family dollar getting away with not allowing breaks-not even a 15mt break, if I have to use the rest room I have to wait until my line is cleared, they wont hire security so basically we go after the shop lifters when they leave the store and they beep, they are on security tapes all over so if they dont come back, their picture is posted as clear as day to the areas local police facebook page and they do get caugt, but I have never worked for a company where you dont get a break, after 6 hours one would think you should get 15mt lunch and at least a ten mt break somone has to look into this and I hope the labor laws, start investigating them, they are working people to the bone, asking us to go after shop lifters cleaning up messes from scummy people that think its funny to bring drinks in the store and dump it on merchandise or the floor, please investigate this company - we need breaks this is unfair

Comments

• Km
      Nov 07, 2019

There are no federal laws that require companies to provide breaks. There are a few states that have break laws, but most of them only require breaks be given to minors, and as a rule Family Dollar doesn't hire minors. I don't know what your state laws are, but chances are break time isn't required by your state. My state doesn't require break time, but I still take breaks regardless. Usually if I'm closing I'll wait till my 6pm cashier comes in to take lunch. It is trickier when I open because the other manager availability is closed from opening till 3:30pm on weekdays, but usually I only open on Sundays and on Sundays the other manager comes in at noon and I'll take lunch then. Being the assistant manager you should know you are allowed to take on the clock breaks. It's not like anyone will stop you or write you up or anything.

Even at stores with security the manager on duty still must be instrumental in stopping shoplifters, and it's not hard to do. All you have to do is when the alarm at the door sounds ask the customer to let you check their bags to make sure you deactivated everything or removed all the gator tags. If it goes off again ask the customer to walk through without the bags. If it goes off again ask if they have anything on them. If they say yes have them hand over the stolen merchandise and ask that they not return, unless the amount of stuff attempted to steal was over $100 in which case it's at your discretion as to whether or not you ask them to stay put for the police to show up. If at any point they simply leave then you have done your job, as you can not make the shoplifters do anything, you can only ask. You can if they become uncooperative you can say you're going to call the police.

Now for cleaning up after scummy people if you don't want to clean up after them you will have to work at a stores who's demographic isn't scummy low-income lowlife deadbeats and whores. Everyone know dollar stores clientele are scum, so you knew who your customers where going to be. If you want a better class of clientele move to a Dillards, or TJ Maxx, but be aware these stores work you harder, and at Dillards results are demanded.

• Ju
      Nov 08, 2019

@Kmart 9459 well thank you, I work for another store not this one, but when I filled in I noticed the new employees did not get any training, this newbee was trying her best but, what I experienced there was people not watching their children, they were taking toys out of boxes etc, I am aware of what I need to do at my store, this newbee did everything she could the right way but, I could tell she did not get any training, I feel for her, at her store there is a lot of theft and it gets draining I know I should of told her to go after the shop lifters, but I am afraid, but she did exactly what you wrote and did a good job, as far as breaks go, I just know that even if you have to use the restroom you have a line then another line and its hard to take a break, I have worked with others that have taken at least half hour and sit in the office and eat, it is very draining, there is just so much wrong but thank you for your input

• Ju
      Nov 08, 2019

@Juan# also I am latino and I notice customers discriminate against me, calling me stupid and slow

•   Nov 08, 2019

@Juan# I'm white and I notice this too towards me. Calm down with the racism card. It's falling apart.

#alllivesmatter!

•   Nov 08, 2019

@Kmart 9459 Tjmaxx, depending on where you are, will be worse. Westchester, you'll be fine. Bronx, Fordham... Fvk that.