Having problems with Esso?

Esso reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jul 14, 2008. The latest review Employees was posted on Jun 21, 2021. The latest complaint Employee behavior was resolved on Sep 06, 2020. Esso has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 354 reviews. Esso has resolved 32 complaints.

Esso Customer Service Contacts

P. O. Box 4654
Houston, Texas

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Esso Customer Service. Initial Esso complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Esso above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Esso. Discuss the issues you have had with Esso and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Esso Complaints & Reviews

Esso PetroleumNon advertised fuel prices

This gas station deliberately doesn't display fuel prices because they charge a full 8 cents more per litre of regular gasoline than all other gas stations in Brandon!!! BEWARE

Murray Foster Dec 25, 2012

No they are not closed. Every time i drive by this station I look to see if fuel price is posted and I can honestly say it is NEVER posted. Thinking about letting the local chamber of commerce know. Seems wrong to welcome people to our city by deliberately over charging them as soon as they drive thru.

Murray Foster Dec 25, 2012

Finding out the price? Doesn't that mean expecting gas stations to display their prices in a manner that can be visibly read? Without physically getting out of your vehicle to check the price on the pump? This particular station has a huge sign visible from a reasonable distance to display their prices like all the other stations in the neighbourhood yet they purposely choose not to put their prices on the board. I am trying to get in touch with the station manager to talk to him about the matter. 8 cents a litre on a 100 litre fill is an $8 difference. To most people, not you apparently, this is a big difference.

Murray Foster Dec 24, 2012

No I never purchased their fuel. When I noticed the price difference I drove away and went to the shell station across the highway where the price of fuel is prominently displayed. Yes I am old enough to drive and have been driving for almost 30 years. No I do not want free fuel from esso. I simply want to warn unsuspecting motorist to this station's attempt at disception! ps I live in this station's area and have noticed that it very rarely will ever post it's fuel prices. To me this is a deliberate attempt to deceive consumers wouldn't you agree?

Esso Gas Station — refuse to pay my wages

Hi, My name is Amandeep kaur, currently I'm working on a gas station now. I used to work on Esso ga...

Ottawa

Esso Car Wash — Broken Tail Light

I took my brand new Ford Mustang 2013 to ESSO car wash at Yonge and Steeles and right after the wash I...

Thornhill

Essofilthy & rude, damage

I went to fill up with gas, while I was waiting for the gas to finish I washed my windshield. There was clearly diesel fuel in the windshield washer fluid bin.
    The car reeked of fuel not to mention it got on my paint...
    I went in to complain, this was a Saturday, busy with commuters from Montreal and there was one kid working. All the trash bins were over flowing, the bathrooms were a disgusting pig sty ( normal for this station since new ownership ). He said no one would be in til Sunday. Sunday the owner called and rudely said it wasn't his problem and not covered by his insurance. He refused to even pay for a measley car wash!!!
    I'm NEVER using this Esso again, nor the macDonald's or convenience store again. It's filthy and disgusting!

Esso Jalan Dairy, Ipoh (Malaysia)Safety and attitude of staff

I go this Esso petrol station to add petrol my car on 28/7/2012 at 4:07pm as usual (I am this petrol station regular customer for the past 4 years and very familiar on the method how to add petrol using their petrol nozzel), the petrol flow out from my car for quite a long time and luckily the petrol didn't spill onto my body. Normally, I use the automated method or hand free method as usual and I am using credit card to make payment. Below is the details of transaction:
      MER#: [protected]
      TRM# [protected]/0154
      Terminal: 921001
      Approval#:028078
      Receipt#:P41578
      Sales RPT#:84
      Store no:101258, transaction #: 175582
      Petrol type: Ron 95 (SYN 5000) Volume petrol pump: 32.16 litres

When I told the cashier inside about the problem, the first thing they says maybe you didn't put the nozzle properly into your car (which I think is not true as I am very careful about it) and says never has customer complaint about it and ignored my complaint.
      However, when I check with the outside staff who always serving the customer, he says that this particular terminal 8 always have these similar problems and happened many times already, which is very different what the cashier inside told me.

After that, I make a phone call to their manager, Puan Nor, she very defensive and says that maybe I didn't put the nozzle properly (which is not true at all), and she deny to apology and make any compensation to me. She always says that the outside Esso staff is very new and he don't know much about this thing (I am not agree as she make this comment straight away without any investigation done) and deny that this incident happened many times already at this terminal

I am very disappointed with the attitude show by the cashier as well as the manager of this Esso station, who ignored the safety of their customer who come to pump petrol, the attitude of the manager also not good who not willing to listen to customer and very defensive. I will never come to this petrol station again and inform my friend/relative about this issue as they are not willing to look into the problem seriously.

Esso Gift Card — refusal of gift card would not accept it

I went to use an Esso gift card I was given and was told that this Esso did not honor them as I had already...

Melfort

Esso Service StationFalse quantity for advertised price

Dear Sir/Madam

On the 11th May at 18 minutes past 2 in the afternoon, I put £40.00 worth of petrol into my car. It only went to just over half way in my tank. I always spend the same when filling up at my usual petrol station inEsher which takes it up to just under the 3/4 mark. The Petrol at Moreton on Marsh station was advertised at £1.37.9 which is two pence lower than my normal garage. Therefore I was over charged for this, and I want recompense for the theft and inconvenience. This was either a deliberate false calibration on their pump to lure people in to make bigger profit margins, or they made a genuine mistake.

Either way, I will not be trusting Esso again and certainly not the Moreton on Marsh garage again. Esso have a duty to warn potential customers, and they have a strict obligation to check up on complaints and false calibration at this garage.

I expect an answer and an explanation.

Yours sincerely

Matthew Reeve-Crook
        [protected]@reeve-crook.fslife.co.uk

Essotheft

I have been using this gas station for over a year and I've caught the older owner operate more than 5 times not give me the correct change and that's just the times I caught him, I'm talking 2, 3dollars every time I finally confronted him about it and it hasn't happened since and the atm in the store hasn't worked for a year but he will give you cash from the till for a 2.50charge so fellow patrons beware hell rip you off if he can

Essowon't release pre-authorized funds

Be warned. When you swipe your credit card at the Esso pump they pre-authorize for $100. When I called my bank to get the pre-authorization removed, they can't do it without Esso's authorization and Esso refuses to call them and take care of it. From now on I will be avoiding all Esso stations!

• Ly
                Lynndell Myers Feb 21, 2013

Mount Uniacke Nova Scotia - Canada... same problem. I purchased gas at the pump with my credit card. $54 worth of fuel. On my internet Visa statement it shows $150 approved transaction and $54 posted transaction..and my total outstanding balance is reflecting the total $204 not just the $54 worth of gas. I called Esso and they say the bank makes all gas stations do this. I have been purchasing gas at various locations and so far - Esso is the only one maintaining this policy. I asked them if the purchased a bottle of wine for $14.99 would they want to be charged for an entire case (for 5 days on the card records before they remove the $150 hold). They just say it is a policy of the bank and they can't change it. I have changed who I purchase gas from...I will now deal with Irving Oil. There is something wrong with this entire scenario. What about the little people out there...perhaps a motorcycle rider (I am one)...if you travel and use Esso you could make 2 sometimes 3 stops in a day...$20 each time at the pump. If you had $150 blocked each time as well as your actual purchase your card could reflect an o/s balance of $510 rather than the actual $60 (3 x $20). Is this fair to purchasers? and what does it actually accomplish?

Esso: 17145 Yonge Street, Newmarket, Ontario — Rude Customer Service by Manager

Re: My Esso Experience at: 17145 Yonge Street, Newmarket, Ontario On Saturday, November 5, 2011 at...

Newmarket

Essofalsely accused of filling up petrol that i didnt fill up

Between 1pm and 2pm today (4th July 2017) I filled up £5 worth of petrol in the car at the above petrol station on Loughborough Road. If I remember correctly it was pump number 11. There was another customer who had moved from this pump to the pump in front. He came to tell me that there was already a sale of 23p in the window, I wasnt sure what he meant by this as when I pulled out the pump, the sale readjusted to zero anyway. When I told the customer this, he said, oh thats ok then. I filled up £5.00. I dont fill up much as I was only borrowing this car for a short errand from my sister.
              When I went to pay, the counter assistant accused me of filling up 23p worth of fuel, replacing the pump and filling up another £5.00 to avoid paying the 23p. I was horrified. The guy I spoke to earlier said something to the counter assistant but I dont know what. He was in the queue in front of me. He paid and left. As you can guess, I was extremely angry at this, I explained to the counter assistant but he did not want to know. I told him he could have his 23p. I even put £2.00 in a charity box of some sort on his counter to prove that I do not do low things like that. I can not understand the rudeness of the guy, he should learn about customer service and know not to falsely accuse innocent people. I wouldnt lie, I did lose my temper and probably did swear at the assistant and at another customer in the shop as he found it all hilarious. But I did not do anything wrong, it's the principle of it all, it was only a mere 23p. But I could have done with that £2.00! Maybe it will go to a good cause I dont know, although I think you should be aware of the type of people that work at your petrol stations. I dont have a receipt as I paid cash and left so hastily that I didnt even bother to ask for one. This incident has just upset and ruined my whole day. And all for 23p

John D Collins Dec 23, 2012

I would be grateful if you would view the attached photos alongside this letter.
                  Seeing Esso diesel fuel advertised at the excellent price of 136.9 p/l I pulled alongside a pump to refuel my car (Vauxhall Insignia). There were three nozzles from which to choose but only one priced at 136.9 p/l. This and the adjacent (middle) nozzle holder were coloured blue, the third was coloured green - signifying petrol. Just to check, I went into the store and asked the assistant if there was more than one type of diesel fuel available. The assistant confirmed that there was the special diesel at higher cost (144.9) but a cheaper one was available at 136.9. I therefore returned to the pump and purchased 30 litres of what I believed was diesel fuel. I then drove to the nearby Sainsbury store, less than half a mile a way. On my return to the car an hour or so later it would not start. After making a couple of phone calls, I was advised to return to the service station to check if I had mistakenly purchased petrol.

On my return to the station, I was served by a different assistant (Vimal Kanten) who was exceptionally helpful. He confirmed my purchase had been petrol and said that he would report the confusion to his manager. He also helped me contact a specialist agency to remove the petrol and replace it with diesel, a cost of £168. Largely as a result of his help I was able to drive my wife back home.

Yours sincerely

John Collins 23 Dec 2017

• Jk
                  JKDE Jul 04, 2011

They're called "Sprollers".

Esso Gas Station — pumps uncloaborated

Today on June the 19th, I filled up my car tank to full, my tank max copacity is 54L, I have had a quarter...

Ancaster

Esso Gas Stationrefuse to pay with master card

May 17/2011 I stoped by the ESSO Gas Station on hwy#1 near Walsh, AB and went into the Esso store to buy some foods and lotto tickets but Lady (Chinese) behind the counter said that my credit card is nothing for her and if I don't have a cash then I have to get out, so I left Walsh with nothing and was really surprised ...What country I live in, if my credit card is NOTHING!
                Thank you.

• Df
                    dflksfhfdjf Jul 26, 2011

nahh, total ###, i don't believe u

Essoovercharged

I paid for my gas with my credit card and noticed that I had been charged for a pack of cigarettes that weren't mine. The cashier then voided my details and charged me for just my gas. In looking at my bank statement the supposedly voided transaction had not occurred. I then, had to go back to the gas station at ask them to rectify this situation. I was given no apology and am very concerned that this is happening to more customers then myself. The gas station had made 2 serious errors and I was not compensated for the extra stress and time, including having to pay interest on their mistake.

Essocar wash

Went for a car wash today called for good weather for a few days, paid to rudest man in the world my money got my wash, came home and looked at my suv it is just as dirty now as before i washed it. I drove back the same guy tells me there is nothing he can do as if it came out of his pocket, but it didn't it came from mine. this is the second time i have incountered a doush at an esso station this is begining to be a bit much. I wish they would give me back whats mine and i'd return it to him once i got thte service i paid for. Thanks for your time but esso will not get anymore of mine. have a rotten day.

anjal Oct 10, 2011

i buy the luxury car wash from the esso (steele and mavis). But the wash was not done properly. so my husband went inside that the wash was not proper but cashier over there said that they don't have any policy to give us another wash. he then give us a phone number to call, but that number was not working. when my husband try to talk with him he just ignore him. There was two attendent at that time on the station. When my husband starts talking they just start laughing. My husband and they have argument with each other. Attendent said he is going to call the police. When i try to talk with him they both start laughing again. I am asking the manager number. One of the attend said i don't have the number, if u don't leave i am going to call the police. then i said go ahead we are waiting here. this gas station is near by my home. I always use this station. No way i can go their again. Me and my family spend $1000 gas every month. This incident happens on saturday evening near about 6 p.m. Police came they suggest us to call the esso and explain every thing to them.

• Ps
                        ps sohal Sep 10, 2011

my name is pardeep sohal, iwent for car wash at 3514 weston rd, got full wash, reciept #1-8107 dt 10 sep 11, but as i came out my car was not washed properly. i complaint cashier sandeep and he told me that he can not help, only customer care can allow rewash, as its saturday i am left with no option, so waiting till monday

• Lm
                        L. MC DONALD May 26, 2011

BOUGHT A TRUCK WASH ALONG WITH GAS AT ANNIES ESSO ON CLARK BLVD BRAMPTON. DRIVERS SIDE DOOR STILL HAD BIRD ### ALL OVER IT . I COMPLAINED TO THE ATTENDANT, HE MADE A PHONE CALL TO SOMEONE THAN HE TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD HAVE SCRAPED THE BIRD ### OFF BEFORE I WENT THROUGH THE WASH. THEY REFUSED TO REWASH THE TRUCK OR TO REFUND MY MONEY.

Essoagressive teller

The teller was way too verbally agressive and threatened to call the police because he would not understand that the machine bugged on me and kept telling me that the machine works fine and felt aggressed when he was the agressor. He kept telling me to swipe the card or pay beforehand even though i told him i had already swiped my credit card and picked up the nosile (not sure how to spell) as instructed by the machine which then froze on me. The teller treated me like a total idiot.

What the bug was:
                      The machine skipped over 2 steps which required user input out of which one impacts the fee it charges (car wash option) what most probably happened is that since that step was skipped, the pump was unable to reset the total cost (in CAD) on screen causing for the machine to freeze until I canceled the operation.
                      Of course, the pump's digital system is a brand new one as I noticed since i used to go to the same station regularly. New software systems are known to be prone to bugs and I am pretty confident that the bug I went through can be reproduced with a few "black box" tests at the "system" level with properly written tests on that I/O (input/output) portion of the software.

Though I am highly positive it was a software bug due to a new system being put in place, I will still monitor my credit card to make sure it was not duplicated.

• Ri
                          RichyRich2011 Mar 30, 2011

I just went through a awful experience with domo in flaconridge, Seems work ethic is out the window and rude or rip off is in .

Esso — assault by store manager

The store manager of the Esso express location at the following address (5500 Boul Decarie, Montréal...

Montreal

Esso (1615 Ellesmere Road) ScarboroughESSO points rip-off

Manager never give essopoints as they advertised outside. Whenever I talk regarding their promotions he always angry and yell.I truly think you should look into this matter this man may run a store but he is directly representing your business. His name is AZIS . Nowadays I am scare to go esso gas stations.

• Pa
                            Parthiv Trivedi Apr 16, 2017

1615 ellesmere road, scarborough, on m1p2y3. i went on 16/04/17 at 10.15pm in on the run gas station for buying cigarette the person at reception was very disrespectful to me i gave him cash and some change he was like i dont have whole day for your change, he was telling to live the store without giving me cigarette orelse he was gone call police (threatenning me ). This type of attitude is not good i really never want to go back at that store. Some strict action should be taken against that guy named Bhanu he being very rude for no reason

Thankyou
                            16/04/17

• Df
                            dflksfhfdjf Feb 27, 2011

Hello
                            i am an esso manager in ottawa, canada.

esso points r not controlled by the stores, or store managers, its solely controlled by esso via their computerized systems. instead of giving the cashier hard time, call esso and inform them. i assure u there is absolutely no way he can control the points rewarded. and please do understand that clerks in gas stations go through alot of stress as they need to multi-task between serving customers and watching cars at the pumps, when u give them hard time u r pushing their buttons

ciao

Zoe zang Feb 16, 2011

This guy has attitute problem.

Zoe zang Feb 16, 2011

I felt the same way in that station yesterday. He never give extrapoints for lottery as he advertised outside . I think may ne they don't have teritory manager to supervise.

Zoe zang Feb 16, 2011

Nowadays people run the store uncivilized style.The reason is northamerican customerservice's first priority is money, they don't care about service.

Esso Gas Station Mavis And Steels — return for bad milk

This new attendant/cashier did not know how to work the cash register at 10pm on a friday. He apologized and...

Brampton

Essorip off and rude agressive owner

I went into the 24 hour esso station on Via Livornese in Pisa on Saturday night at 10.30pm and put my 10 euros in and tried to pump the gas. Nothing happened. I returned today and the owner verified the transaction but said since I had no receipt I could not have my money or gas. He spoke rapidly in Italian and when I asked him to speal slowly he went off. When I asked him just to give me the number of the head office, he went off like a firecracker. Told me to go to the Carabinieri. So I did. They came back and spoke to him and he went off like mad in front of them. This man appears to have mental problems. He also had a pitbull tied up to the front door of the little office and I was NOT going near it. The Carabinieri were able to get a pamphlet from him and I have contacted Esso. All this for 10 euros. But this is typical in Italy (and Spain). They use having no receipt not to pay or help you and when you do have the receipt they find another reason.

• St
                              stormywaters Jan 24, 2011

oh by the way lovefist11 the word is appreciation. go back to your trailer park.

• St
                              stormywaters Jan 24, 2011

perché devi chiamarmi nomi? Ho vissuto qui per 4 anni .. dove vivi? Ho pagato per molti prodotti nel corso degli ultimi 4 anni e ha dovuto gettarli nella spazzatura. Non mi interessa circa il 10 € ma ho a cuore la violenza verbale che ho ricevuto da parte del proprietario. Ora sono sottoposti a voi che mi chiama nomi.

I paesi della UE hanno una legge che dice che c'è una garanzia di 2 anni sui prodotti e quando si acquista qualcosa e non funziona non onorare la garanzia.

Ho avuto problemi con i computer, orologi, porte USB, batterie. Tutti buttati nella spazzatura per la somma di almeno 1000 euro.

Ma perché sto sprecando il mio tempo di rispondere a qualcuno evidentemente arrabbiato con il mondo.

thats MISS [censored] to you.