Having problems with Esso?

Esso reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jul 14, 2008. The latest review Attendant accusation of not paying was posted on Jun 4, 2021. The latest complaint Employee behavior was resolved on Sep 06, 2020. Esso has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 353 reviews. Esso has resolved 32 complaints.

Esso Customer Service Contacts

P. O. Box 4654
Houston, Texas

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Esso Customer Service. Initial Esso complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Esso above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Esso. Discuss the issues you have had with Esso and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Esso Complaints & Reviews

Esso Wyse Road Dartmouth — No Diesel

Fueling up with diesel, pump was moving slowly so i stopped and went inside to pay because pay at pump wasnt...

Dartmouth

Esso Stationlottery tickets

I walked into the gas station across the street from my home to repurchase my regular lottery tickets, as I've done for 9 years now. I recently also purchase an additional 3 for my Mother who now spends these cold Winter's in Florida . In the past I've noticed this same employee, either throwing someone out of the store for anything at all it seems, usually a pump not working or the car wash broken once again, if they exhibit any dissatisfaction... they're out. He reminds me of an umpire at times. I used to find it somewhat amusing until tonight. I've also witnessed him on a few occasions disallowing someone entrance to the store, maybe this justifiable or not, It is intolerable for abusing his fellow employees from what I've seen, just like he did tonight, usually they are being too slow at the end of their shift, so he can go like a gopher back and forth, from one register to another. I had purchased my regular $4-6 boards, $18+6 for a grand total of $24. Tonight I clearly marked HEAVILY with ink inside the $4 box. He gave me only 1 ticket . He proceeded to tell me to move to the side as he wanted to use both cash machines. I showed him my slip and he said listen buddy just fill out another ticket . I'm not used to anyone talking to me this way. I have been trained to curb my temper for 22 years now. Martial arts will mellow you over time it works for me until someone is rude and disrespects me. Tonight his fellow employee was clearly upset with his behavior, and agreed with me, and suggested that he had better find my Ontario 49 since he had lost it.. He whispered in my ear move again buddy the f... side, and fill out another f... ticket, and then leave my store. I told him that he had no right to ask me to leave the store, especially this not being his store, this was clearly a mistake he had made by rushing, and panicking. His fellow employee told me that he does not want to be responsible for anything. I had asked his fellow employee if he would corroborate my story of what had just occurred, and he said he was 100% on my side., so I proceeded home. This is not the first incident that I've had at this gas station concerning my lottery tickets. I have called the O.L.G at least 3 times in the past. They've been disallowed to sell any lottery tickets just after my last complaint for 4-6 weeks if my memory is correct. Also earlier this Winter I would walk into their station on a Friday evening to purchase 1 lotto max, and 4-9 lottario depending on the grand prize, each and every week for a couple of Months there were no lottario sheets. Every time I was in their, I politely requested could they please reorder some more sheets. It fell on deaf ears for Months . I can prove this as I had to buy my tickets elsewhere. I go there for the convenience only, not the company, trust me, it's a terrible experience at best now, panic city, always a line up a mile long, and only one person at the cash register, while the other employee is outside smoking or talking with friends, or restocking at the most inconvenient time. This bully tonight has clearly messed with the wrong guy this time, cause I'm not going anywhere. I'll be back tomorrow, and again until he gets it right. I have the faith, it might be a small miracle, but they do happen.

RESOLVED

This case has just been closed. I have all that is required now. Thanks to all for your kindness, support and understanding. It sure helps when you're not alone.

• Ru
      Ruth and Kevin Mar 18, 2015

I think the problem is you have a lot of growing up to do. He has every right to kick you out and call the cops if you refuse to leave. Perhaps a little time in juvie will set you straight.

Esso Gas Station — Refused to return money after I decided not to purchase gas.

I went into the gas station around 3:30am on February 5th 2015, I waited outside for about a minute while the...

Montreal

Esso Gas Station — waiting in line for 30 mins to pay for gas

I waited in line for about 30 mins to pay for gas this morning. I left without paying because the attendant...

Toronto

Esso Gas Stationgas pump wrong amount

Gas Pump#9, pumped almost 3-5 litter, showed 35 litter!!! (Esso Gas Station at Morningside & Sheppard Ave., Scarborough, Ontario)
    I used $40 for about 35 litter gas. When I left gas station I noticed my gas gauge moved only a little bit high (for about 2-5 litter).
    I called the Gas Station 10 minutes later as soon as I got out of highway and explained it to him.
    He said all their pumps are OK and nobody has complained, bye!
    I said bye!
    I still have the receipt but I don't know what to do?

Esso — discrimination against poor

Was just finishing filling up gas when I decided I wanted to buy a coffee and have a quick cigarette before I...

Burlington

Esso Gas Stationrudness

i went to the gas station for my car wash there was a lady in the station she scaned my card and i went for the wash but my car was not cleaned at all so i again went inside and told her that the wash is working properly and she was so rude abt it and told me to bring my car in front of her as she didnt want to come outside. I brought my car and told her that she has to come outside, i cant bring the car inside the store after giving me some bad expressions she came out and told me that the car is cleaned there is no problem and without even listening to me went inside the store again I went inside and told her that I dont want a free wash but just want u to know its not working properly so nobody should pay for this usless wash she didnt even replyed me and even kept my receipt this was the bad experience i ever had in gas station so plz if anyone has a problmen complain abt these people

• Su
          sunp Sep 26, 2014

these rude pepaple should be trained first for customer behavior.

Essobad quality of the gas-damage I had to pay

On September 19, 2014, around 6h30 in the morning, I purchased 40$ worth of the gas (regular) at the ESSO station on 1270 Trim road, Orleans. About 10 minutes later, my car (Toyota Yaris, 2013) slowed down and then finally stopped, in the middle of the high way. I phoned CAA and they towed the car to Villa Toyota in Hull/Gatineau. When they assessed what the problem was, they informed me that the gas I purchased contained a lot of water, was not flammable and that they had to clean the tank
        and a lot of other parts that were contaminated. In the end, I had to pay 726.26$ for the work that had to be done + 40$ of the gas that I lost when I purchased it at this gas station. I also lost a day at work which also is worth money. They made a detailed report on the bill and suggested me to speak with the manager or the owner of this gas station about the problem in order to get reimbursed because it was clear that the problem was related to the gas I fueled. I went back to this gas station on Monday morning, September 22, 2014 and spoke with the manager and she denied the possibility that this could be related to the
        gas they were selling on Friday and did not want to discuss the issue further, suggested me to contact the head office. I can e-mail the bill with details for your review and the mechanics at the Villa Toyota in Hull/Gatineau will be more than happy to discuss the details with you as well. Please inform me of detailed steps, I would really like and find just to get reimbursed for the
        damage this gas station caused me. I have been a regular ESSO customer for many years and have always valued the excellent customer service you have been providing. This is the first time that I’ve had any issues with ESSO and I am hoping that I will not be disappointed. Thank you.

Essobad customer service

Hi,

I went to get gas, took out the nozzle, then heard peep, peep, twice, I then tried to choose regular gas and then notice that it was already on supreme gas. I signal the guy in the gas station, he said just pump your gas..I said no it's on supreme, and wasn't able to choose regular gas..so now regular gas is at 1.23 per liter and supreme is a 1.39 per liter, big difference. I had to shoot at him several times for him to reset the gas. I went in to pay, and asked him how can it be at supreme when I didn't have time to choose regular. He said it was all my fault and the cord must of hit it. is this how ESSO makes money by ripping off customers.
          There should be no way of anyone being able to choose the level of gas you need, I'm wondering now, how many times did they rip me off, without me noticing... Hassan was VERY RUDE.
          Good luck ESSO, i will pass my story to everyone...Lost a loyal customer.

Essorude attendent

Stopped at the gas station on the corner of north road and austin ave july 25 appoximately 10pm it was rather busy with alot of customers when i pulled up to the gas pump my wife went in to pay the gas on her debit card. She paid the gas and went to the other counter to buy sandwiches was at pump 18 i stood there waiting for the pump to turn on it never so i moved over to pump 9 and went inside to let her know i had moved she said she already paid $40. 00 for pump 18 asked the tendent to turn on that pump she wouldnt do it i said well you never turned on the other pump so let me use pump 9 she turned it on when i pushed the grade she turned it off again i went in and asked her why she did that she said go i have other customers here and i phoned the police so now iam out $40. 00
            I phoned the police they said there was nothing they could do is there anything i can do to get my money back

Essoovercharge

I attended this location on 19 June 2014 at 525 am to get a fillup. Because I had a 10/L coupon from Loblaw I pumped the gas and was to attend the station to pay. I put in $64.01 at the pump, attended inside. Advised that I had been at pump 9 and handed in my coupon. I did not have my Esso extra card so he swiped one from the counter and then asked me to pay. The amount on the debit machine stated $84.09. I quickly pulled my debit card out of the machine and stated that this was the wrong amount. The male attendant did not apologize and said that is what i put in my vehicle. I advised him that my vehicle would not take that much fuel and that I had put in $64.01. He started to flip through something electronically and then entered something. This time he did not want to use the coupon from Loblaw, but reluctantly did. The amount was now under $60 and what I figured it should be.
              I believe, especially from his response and lack of apology that the initial amount was a full $20 over charge and was quite intentional.

Esso — inappropriate language by staff

I went to this gas station with my friends to buy groceries and car wash.After my friend got his car washed...

Brampton

Esso Gas Station — car wash improper attitude

I frequent this location very often due to the proximity of it to my home as well as collecting Esso mile...

Brampton

Esso Gas Station — car wash promotion

I had gone in to buy gas march 19, 2014 at 7:44pm in the evening. I went in to pay alone. I was the only one...

Kitchener

Esso — unreasonable service

I had a woeful experience when I visited the Gas station today. The traffic was stuck up. Then I decided to...

Winnipeg

Esso Petrol StationOver charging pump 1p every time for 6months .

Filled up petrol at my local Esso petrol station in sudbury town, Watford road. £20 is normal weekly petrol, every week noticed over sensitive petrol pump, finally decided to raise to the staff member and politely asked if there was an issue with pump seems to over charge me and before I finished he was rude and said no nothing wrong with pump your mistake and when I asked if I could raise the issue with esso he got very rude and said look it up on internet, so I replied I should also contact trading standards see if this is common at this station without shouting. This was 2 weeks ago. Today I went in there as I was on reserve petrol so no choice but to use it, as I started to fill no petrol, was asked to come inside petrol station, same assistant said as I came in recently and wanted to complain to trading standards said he told his manager and was asked not to sell me petrol. I was amazed and asked if he could tell me his name and he refused when I told him I want to speak to his manager he told me. His gone away on holiday. I will contact esso tomorrow as I think. I can understand they have the right to serve whom they want, but there seems to be an issue with this station.

Mac's Convenience Store And Esso Gasbad customer service or cashier

It was 9:57 pm I had gas in my car, and went to store to pay. The cashier was so angry at me. He said you have to pay at the gas station after 10 pm, I was asking him now I had gas in my car I must pay to you! He looked at me badly and told me next time there won't be inside payment after 10 .So I told him it is ok don't be angry just let me go. He was shouting and telling me I hat too match customer, it was too busy today... I pay and look his name ( his name was Mansoor) big man with big mustache. I left store I won't be at that store for gas next time

bad customer service or cashier

Essocustomer service

I visited Esso Canonmills today 07/05/13 at about [protected]. The purpose of my visit was to use their car wash facility and then possibly valet and air. When I entered the shop I decided to buy the Gold option @ £6.99. The man I dealt with was friendly and attentive, showing me the pin for my wash and explained the loyalty voucher. That was fine. I then continued to the actual car wash, entered my pin ok and the car wash started as expected. After the soap had been applied (and I therefore didn't have great vision) not much seemed to be happening. Giving it the benefit of the doubt I waited a few minutes, but still nothing, so i turned on my engine and cleared my windows. To my horror, I noticed the door had come down, I looked behind me to find the same with the back door, and so I was stuck inside a car wash. I would like to add that I was on my way back from the hospital where I had just had an invasive procedure and I was in a fair bit of pain, I was also preparing for a job interview. On top of this, today was particularly hot, and in an enclosed car stuck inside acar washh, not long after an operation this was hardly ideal. Anyway, I soon noticed that there was an emergency exit door so I braved being attacked by the car wash and escaped.

When I went into the shop to explain, as you can imagine, I was already feeling a bit stupid going in to say "I've just got stuck in the car wash". I approached the female assistant behind the counter and explained what had happened. She said nothing and offered no apology, instead grunted and looked at her colleague (who had originally served me) to deal with it. He very politely said he'd be with me in a second after he had finished with the customer he was already serving. I was then quite promptly ordered to step to the side as the female assistant had other customers to serve. Anyway, the helpful man came to my rescue. He asked the female assistant for something about a test wash, just looking for confirmation I think, to which she nodded in the most disinterested way. At this point it occurred to me that maybe she was a manager or supervisor, and that her rude behaviour was a lot more unacceptable so I took a note of her name Gosia. Unfortunately I never caught her helpful colleague's name but he was about 5"10, slim, skinhead/shaved head with glasses and was wearing a dark jumper over his shirt.

Myself and himself took a trip over the car wash and he managed to open the doors, he asked me to drive back round to the start and explained that he would put another pin in for me. Once I brought my car round it was apparent he was having difficulties with the machine. Despite his helpful and attentive manner I must say I was quite shocked when he angrily shouted "Oh for ###s sake" at the machine, but to be honest, I didn't blame him. He fiddled around with it a bit longer and then gave in, explaining to me the they had been having intermittent problems with the switchboard which was affecting it. Obviously this was not his fault and he offered me a reasonable compensation given the inconvenience this had caused me: a refund of the price of the wash I'd payed for, to personally throw buckets of water over my car to remove the soap and said he'd allow me to keep the loyalty point I'd gain so that if I bought another wash with them I would still get my 3rd free.

He offered to bring the water up but I was happy enough to reverse down the winding hill for him since he was clearly doing his best for me. He then washed to soap off my car (I'd like to add that I appreciated his attention to detail and customer when I noticed he had checked and waited for me to close my window before throwing water over the car). We then continued into the shop to deal with the refund. As we came in, I noticed this Gosia spoke at her male colleague in a foreign language - possibly polish - not that this makes any difference, it was the principal but I managed to catch as much as switchboard out of it. Again, he asked Gosia how he would process a refund on the car wash. She begrudgingly took this task on board and as if each of her fingers weighed a kilo each she tapped the screen looking nothing but fed up with me. I tried to let this slip thinking maybe she was just having a bad day (not that this would make it acceptable) but then the most arrogant and obnoxious part came; without uttering a word, giving any eye contact or even acknowledgement of my presence I noticed a very assertive hand gesturing to the card machine. I then quite calmly said, "Would you like me to insert my card", I was not given any answer bar that of her body language - which incase you hadn't gathered was cold, unapologetic and impersonal. At this point I just wanted to leave to put so my card in. She then turned to her colleague, who was looking on, and spoke to him in whatever foreign language it was again. As a fluent and native speaker of another language myself, I would never dare speak to someone else in it, in the presence of others who would not understand. It is just the height of rudeness. Then came the receipts ordeal. I was handed back only one and no loyalty card, despite being advised previously I would be allowed to keep it as part of my consolation. Normally, I would have just walked off and not bothered but because of the sheer audacity of Gosia I put my foot down and decided to ask for it. Finally, Gosia spoke to me! Only to give me an excuse, suggesting that she had to retain the loyalty card for managerial purposes. Her colleague did try to interject and explain but she quickly dismissed him which clearly made him feel humiliated. In hindsight I was quite right, because the word 'loyalty' card explains its purpose, not 'come and get stamp then hand back when our machinery breaks card' - surely it is a reward for choosing to use Esso?! At this point I had had enough. I told Gosia that I had found her very rude, explaining that she had hardly given me any eye contact, hardly uttered a word to me and not once apologised to me. I reassured them that the male had been very helpful and clearly done everything in his power to resolve the situation, apologising on multiple occasions and had even been willing to get wet to ensure I was not put out. At this point, Gosia turned away and took absolutely interest in the opportunity being offered to apologise. At this point I informed her that I would definitely be complaining to Esso about her to which she grunted and turned away, and to which I walked out the shop in utter dismay and had lost absolutely all interest in using the valet or air facilities.

I would like to reiterate that the purpose of this complaint it about Gosia apparent lack of any customer service skills. I am not annoyed about the machinery breaking as these things happen which is understandable. Furthermore, I wish to praise the Esso on employing the male I dealt with who was most diligent and I suggest they commend him on his outstanding service, especially given the rogue he works beside - I wouldn't go as far as to say I would remain anywhere near as positive and can do working beside Gosia. Only in the case of dire emergencies will I ever use Esso facilities again, incase I meet another Gosia.

Esso Jln Changkat Jong SS (Teluk Intan)Staff Cheated for the Loyalty Points

My mummy and I went to this Esso petrol station to pump petrol on 27/12/2012 at 3:13pm. Then after the payment done at counter, my mum got the receipt and back to the car, and she found that the RM30 petrol that she pumped didn't add into the previous point. And so she immediately go to the counter ad asked the cashier, the cashier just answered her that he didn't know anything, and might be machine's faults. Alright, my mummy pumped RM10 petrol to have a testing again, and from the pictures i attached, you can see the 10points was added in. So what's the truth? What actually happened? It was the cashier had cheated the 30 loyalty points. We were here to complaint not because of the RM30 can turn into 30points, it's all because of the employer had hired a very dishonest employee, and the employer asked my mummy to forgive the cashier because Chinese New year is coming soon, they are very hard to hire people again. Please ! This is not a good excuse ! And most terrible is the cashier didn't even want pay an apologies to my mum. Is this the proper manners and ethics an employee should have? You guys really must take a concern on it. Thanks !

Esso PetroleumNon advertised fuel prices

This gas station deliberately doesn't display fuel prices because they charge a full 8 cents more per litre of regular gasoline than all other gas stations in Brandon!!! BEWARE

Murray Foster Dec 25, 2012

No they are not closed. Every time i drive by this station I look to see if fuel price is posted and I can honestly say it is NEVER posted. Thinking about letting the local chamber of commerce know. Seems wrong to welcome people to our city by deliberately over charging them as soon as they drive thru.

Murray Foster Dec 25, 2012

Finding out the price? Doesn't that mean expecting gas stations to display their prices in a manner that can be visibly read? Without physically getting out of your vehicle to check the price on the pump? This particular station has a huge sign visible from a reasonable distance to display their prices like all the other stations in the neighbourhood yet they purposely choose not to put their prices on the board. I am trying to get in touch with the station manager to talk to him about the matter. 8 cents a litre on a 100 litre fill is an $8 difference. To most people, not you apparently, this is a big difference.

Murray Foster Dec 24, 2012

No I never purchased their fuel. When I noticed the price difference I drove away and went to the shell station across the highway where the price of fuel is prominently displayed. Yes I am old enough to drive and have been driving for almost 30 years. No I do not want free fuel from esso. I simply want to warn unsuspecting motorist to this station's attempt at disception! ps I live in this station's area and have noticed that it very rarely will ever post it's fuel prices. To me this is a deliberate attempt to deceive consumers wouldn't you agree?