Menu
Esso Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

Esso
reviews & complaints

www.esso.ca

Learn how the rating is calculated

1.3 447 Reviews

Esso Complaints Summary

32 Resolved
415 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from Esso with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Esso has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Esso. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
File a complaint

Esso reviews & complaints 447

Filter reviews by rating
Sort by:

Newest Esso reviews & complaints

H
6:29 pm EST

Esso Employe

My friend went there for gas. She went inside to pre pay and the guy at cash counter asked her to give her phone number and that made her feel so uncomfortable like seriously she just went to fill the gas. She paid but did not even fill the gas and left. That is how they treat their customer. I am complaining this because it can be happened to other customers too. It happened on 12 november 2023 at 4:40 pm

6:56 pm EDT

Esso - Unacceptable security risk at esso gas station on Nun's Island Verdun QC

Dear Esso Customer Service, I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to express my profound disappointment with the security measures and customer service at the Esso gas station on Île des Soeurs. I must commend you for resolving a previous complaint I made regarding the refusal of the attendant to bring the card terminal to my vehicle for...

G
1:25 pm EDT

Esso Your filling station on Glasgow rd milngavie, Glasgow

I’ve been using this filling station for more than 25 years min 3 times a week and in the last year I feel like almost every time I enter the shop the staff are you there mobile phones talking to people and aren’t very talkative and helpful to me and other customers sometimes you don’t even get a thanks. I’m a business owner and I don’t mind if one on my staff have to take a phone call now and again but if they were on it as much as they are they most definitely wouldn’t be employed by me for very long.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Kind regards,

Grant Mcnellan

Is Esso legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Esso as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 7% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Esso stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Esso should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Esso earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Esso achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

Esso.ca has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows Esso website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Esso.ca has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Esso as a website that uses an external review system. While this can provide valuable feedback and insights, it's important to carefully evaluate the source of the reviews and take them with a grain of salt.

Several positive reviews for Esso have been found on various review sites. While this may be a good sign, it is important to approach these reviews with caution and consider the possibility of fake or biased reviews.

We looked up Esso and found that the website is receiving a high amount of traffic. This could be a sign of a popular and trustworthy website, but it is still important to exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of the site before sharing any personal or financial information

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Esso has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 7% of 447 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • We conducted a search on social media and found several negative reviews related to Esso. These reviews may indicate issues with the company's products, services, or customer support. It is important to thoroughly research the company and its offerings before making any purchases to avoid any potential risks.
L
2:50 am EDT

Esso - Staff attitude _ polmont

I had a parcel being delivered to this petrol station. Received an email asking me to collect it on Sunday 8 October. My mum went on my behalf with all the information I had received. Parcel refused. The female attendant working was rather smug saying there was no collection code. Fast forward the next day, I’d been in touch with the parcel courier who gave...

N
8:34 pm EDT

Esso Refused washroom access

On Oct 2nd, 2023 at 7.45PM Location: 1110 Bathurst Street, Toronto,ON. M5R 3H2.

This ESSO facility cashier refused me to use the washroom. At 7.45PM, I visited this ESSO station and filled up my tank. After, I politely asked for the access to the washroom.

He said that "the washroom is broken from inside". And I have seen people coming from it when I enter the station. And then he saying yesterday a homeless person broke it.. broke what? The toilet?. And then how can other people is using it with no problem?. Why he is only refusing me or "people like me"?. (No signs were there saying the washroom is broken or unusable).

There are plenty of 1star comments of google maps against this business. Everyone is unhappy with the cashier's behavior. In a way or other the staffs declined the business and the show is continuing..

It doesn't cost the owner much if "one of your customers" uses the washroom. Absolutely disgusting attitude from your employee. I will never forget..

Desired outcome: Appreciate actions should be taken

7:07 pm EDT

Esso Pricing

I was charged at $1.89 litre instead of $1.53 per litre for Regular gas. attendant kept insisting that I pressed the wrong button. I stopped by seeing the price and as lower than other gas stations and I was cheated. I am afraid others are being cheated too. If the equipment is faulted, it better be fixed right away. I simply do not accept the attitude and not willing to listen from this person.

Desired outcome: Refund of over charged amount. Station be checked and audited for mal practices.

P
10:45 am EDT

Esso Fuel quantity issue

Esso Bedok south ave 1 service station, I was petrol top up on 20/09/2023 around 8.43pm. My scooter milage 97 running condition. Until tank full 3.894 lr.

Because when I do pump few seconds petrol never come out, but meter running. I inform station guy, he said no proof, you want raise complain.( have bill)

2 days before I top esso changing road stations 122.8 km running condition, I top up fulltank 4.3 lr only. I have proof of evidance I calculator screenshot.

My bike full tank capacity 5.5 lr only.

I feel Around 0.7 lr shortage.

Pls take action.

By

Pandi

Desired outcome: Approximately 4 lr top up around 0.7 lr shortage

M
11:57 am EDT

Esso Location scamming customers

I went to fill up my vehicle with gas on Sept 12, 2023. I chose the regular gas option, watched the other 2 options screens clear and started filling. After a few moments I looked down and noticed the Super Premium was lit up, not the regular. I stopped filling, went into the store and asked what type of gas was going into my tank. They said "you chose premium".

I told them I absolutely did not, I had checked to make sure regular was lit up before I started pumping. They then said, when you lifted the pump off it's cradle, the hose probably hit the premium button. There's no way that could have happened, when I saw that the regular option was the only one lit up before I started pumping. They suggested I go and try it a second time, which I did.

I chose regular again, waited for the other two options to clear, and then pushed regular once more to make sure. I started pumping, look down after a few moments to find that again the light had switched over to the premium option.

I went inside again and said that they are scamming customers, rigging the pumps to switch to premium when they know people don't check once they start pumping their gas.

I would like this to be investigated, and I would like someone to follow up with me. I can assure you that there is NO WAY that I chose the premium option, and I was also holding the hose the second time, it was nowhere near the buttons to "accidentally" hit the premium one.

I sent a complaint yesterday to another one of your choices listed on the website and have not heard from anyone. If I do not get a response, I will tell everyone I know about this incident, and I will go on every Social Media platform to tell this story about the Esso location that is ripping off it's customers.

The transaction # from this purchase 670945, station #[protected].

Desired outcome: I want to be reimbursed for the difference I had to pay for premium vs regular gas, and for this gas station to be stopped from cheating their customers.

11:30 am EDT

Esso - Gas purchase

On August 29th at 11am at the Esso on Cumberland St. In Thunder Bay Ontario I attended this facility to purchase gas. I parked my truck at the pump and went inside to pre pay for $15 gas. I told the worker, Hiron I was purchasing gas at pointed to my vehicle and said on 1 or 2. The numbers weren't visible due to my truck blocking them however it was only...

11:35 am EDT

Esso I was charged 5 times more than the amount

I just filled my rental car for less than 20€ and i was charged 100€!

Today is August 19, 2023 and the time of the payment is 5:13 pm

This is outrageous and a scam i need my money back!

This is the message i received:

Purchase of AED 413.43 with Credit Card ending 3308 at STAZIONE ESSO PETROLJ, NAPOLI. Avl Cr. Limit is AED 40,504.76. Pls refer stmt for exact amt

7:34 pm EDT

Esso Service

Store: [protected] trans: 438266

Aug 15, time: 17:23:05

Went in to purchase $60 regular fuel $11 lotto max and $13 lotto 649 first. As my husband was outside waiting to fuel truck. Did that. Went next to check chips aisle out. Noticed worker staring at me and visibly moving so he could see what I was doing.

I already spent $84 at the store. Do you really think I would steal a bag of chips. If you are checking whether i steal or not, maybe not make it so noticeable. Really puts a bad taste in my mouth. Hardly ever go there to fuel. And now I won’t go there to support your business.

Yes I get that people steal. But you saw me pay for the gas and lotto. Maybe look at other people. Or here’s a thought, greet me as you are looking at me. Ask me how my day was or if I’m finding what I need. Instead of just looking at where I’m going inside the store.

Be customer oriented maybe?

Desired outcome: Get adequate customer service training. Know how to greet people. Don’t assume because of my race, Native American, that I steal.

L
10:45 pm EDT

Esso Customer service

I was at the esso in red deer Alberta 7111 50th Ave shortly after 7pm and there was an Asian man working. He was selling cigarettes to an older gentleman with greyed hair and a beard with tattoos..he asked the guy for ID and said the ID was expired..when the man argued that he was clearly over 18 (this man looked to be late 40s) the Asian man working told him to "[censored] off" the man pushed over his pop and told the worker to go [censored] himself and the worker replied that he can also go [censored] himself. I've never seen an older man get ID'd and then have a worker be so rude to them. I'll be taking my business else where from now on if this isn't rectified. Totally unacceptable and my heart goes out to the man who was treated this way. I left and went to the circle K down the street and saw the same man buy his smokes and be treated with respect. At no point should a worker ever swear at a customer and there is no excuse.

Desired outcome: I'm a manager of a store and if I saw one of my employees treating a customer this way they would no longer have a job. We train my employees to ID if someone looks 25 not 45 and never swear at a customer no matter what

S
2:58 am EDT

Esso Franchise owner/property owner

I had a break down so I pulled into the Esso at blackhorse corners. I’ve been waiting on parts for the repairs so had been staying in my camper as I’m 4 hours away from home.

The owner and his wife came over and rather than asking us to leave she swore at me, called me derogatory names, called the police on us saying we wouldn’t leave even though I can clearly be heard saying we would pack up and leave we have spent 90 % of my money there every pay but according to them I never use their store. Also considering I was buying my diesel there as well as almost 300 in fuel for my generator even with there being a cheaper competitor (30 cents an litre for diesel) across the street.

The location already looks horrible and unprofessional with run down old vehicles Dumped at the back of the lot and garbage scattered around it looks more like a junk yard than a gas station.

Sadly this wasn’t the only issue. Out of date products, a rodent problem, Ill mannered And verbally abusive as well ans incompetent uninvolved distant (he lives 3 hrs away and claims he hasn’t been to the store for over 10 weeks) owner/ operators are the main reason this station is doing so poorly.

Also to note there are multiple code violations as well as the place is extremely outdated.

I will be filing a criminal complaint against the owners for their abuse and as Esso chose them as franchise owners Esso will be named in the complaint as well.

Avoid this Esso if you can

Desired outcome: A formal apology from Esso and proper ownership and management for the location so it can prosper. With an owner operator like the current one the store will be lucky if it doesn’t get shut down for health code violations.

5:02 am EDT

Esso The customer service

On July 5th I was in the vulcan esso location in vulcan alberta when a customer was stealing and couldn't talk properly, her pupils were the only color in her eye as she was making plans with the cashier she finished her invitation to get the cashier stoned and then she started to curse and swear at me and threatened to cause me bodily harm. The cashier Silas stood there watching the entire interaction not once asking if I need help or asking his friend to stop, as I was leaving she hit me in the face before I was able to get out of the store causing my bottom plate to crack in half and still the cashier stood there and watched without bothering to even call the rcmp. I notified the owners and they didn't even bother to respond and did absolutely nothing. Esso brags about how safety of customers is the top priority and is supposed to be considered a safe space yet I get assulted in the gas station and now can no longer eat solids as my bottom plate is no longer usable which was a result of the great safety of esso. I am speaking with a lawyer as I cannot afford to replace my dentures after just paying for a new set in May of this year. As a regular customer for the last 18years I would have thought that something would have been done to help resolve this issue, however I was sadly mistaken, as nothing was done. I thought that you can't just put in the papers that your establishment is a safe space when customers are assulted right in the gas station with the cashier watching.

Desired outcome: I would like esso and the cashier to be held accountable for their failure to stop or even ask if I needed help, and help cover the cost for the bottom dentures that are no good because of the assault inside the gas station

11:16 pm EDT

Esso Service

at about 10pm on thursday July 27th 2023, I was at the gas station to buy a bottle of water, I saw a sign which say buy 1 and get 1 free. I grabbed two bottles and went to the counter to check out. The associate was saying pointing to a fine print at the bottom of the flyer, the deal is not like that, are you blind? you are not reading? and he refused to serve me. I needed the water to take my medication. because of him I missed the time for my medicine. I most of the time buy my gas and other conveniences from esso. It is very disappointing to have this experience with this associate.

J
5:32 pm EDT

Esso Service bad treatment

I'm complaining about a manager that has left some bad treatment as a client and at old employees. He would talk rude and can be easily short edge. After asking him some questions and then telling him that his way of talking is rude he would deliberitly stop surving me as a client, he would pass other clients in front of me even though he said he did not have time. He comes from tunasia and works now with others from this places, like family members or something and they basically have a bad way of treating people, inspectors already has came to the place for other reasons, I've also had complaints of old employees. They basically do their laws. The worst part is that he holds two gaz stations.

Desired outcome: The company should send inspectors in the places and have a serious case over them, for not treating and serving well the costumers, the ancient employees and the compagny.

6:13 pm EDT

Esso Customer service allows assault

Yesterday at around 5 pm in vulcan alberta I was paying for my purchases and got assaulted by some girl on drugs and the person working allowed this to happen without doing anything about it, it was bad enough watching him allow her to steal but to also allow her to attack a customer who regularly uses essos services is just an example of how they view their long (18)yrs time customers to be treated in the vulcan esso

Desired outcome: Something should be done

R
11:01 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Esso Termination of employment, immediate. You will lose business with this employee.

I went into store for gas at pump 1 18:25 June 13, 2022, I had change to pay for my gas. It was a mix of dimes, quarters, nickels, when I went inside I politely said hey I can only pay you with change and opened my wallet (it’s one handful and less than $5) the clerk immediately told me “I’m not counting your change - you have to count it.” and I said why you’ll have to recount it anyway, to which he refused to count my money at all. he started becoming rude saying I’m not counting your “kiddy change” and my “baggy of change”. He brought forward the next customer as he was still talking down to me, I said that if someone gave him $20 in loonies he would still have to count it. Clerk continued multiple more comments about children and kids have to do the same thing, comments indirectly referring to me as a child because I did not have more to pay for my gas. I just walked out. That [censored]ing [censored] needs to be fired and I’ll harass this store every day if I have to. He’s only going to talk down to your customers for his own self gain. Humiliating comments were anything but necessary. I’m just trying to get gas, I don’t go to a store to be insulted.

I get paid tomorrow, I wouldn’t be paying for gas in change if I didn’t have to. I’m a 22yr old female, he will only be a d*k to more customers.

Update by Rudepeopledontwin
Jul 28, 2023 1:00 am EDT

Why’s this person commenting and supporting that this person is “acting like a child” because they were upset? @ octatron. This person was down on money and socially obliterated for no reason? The gas clerk was name calling the person complaining, not the other way around ?

P
10:14 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Esso Esso gas station health and safety incident

Gas Station Address: 14010 Hurontario Street, Inglewood, Ontario, L7C2C1

Date of Transaction: 11 June 2023

Time: 18:54:42

Pump # 2

Subject: Health and Safety (H&S) Incident due to gas spillage by stuck nozzle trigger

Incident: I am respectfully presenting this H&S incident report to the ESSO authority as my wife and I were placed in danger at the above mentioned gas station due to a failed nozzle trigger. While filling up the gas in my motorcycle, the nozzle trigger got stuck causing gasoline overflow from the gas tank and spillage all over the bike, on my clothes and my wife's clothes leading to a dangerous situation potentially impacting life and health hazards. Additionally, there was aesthetic damage to my motorcycle as well as our clothing, which now smells of gasoline.

The incident was reported to station attendant immediately who in turn called the station manager, stating to him, "Anna (brother in Tamil language), it happened again". The station manager responded very casually to the life threatening incident and even defended that I was the first one to ever report such issue which directly contradicts what the station attendant said. When I requested details on where I can report this H&S incident, the store manager became very defensive. I am astonished to see that even after an incident like this has happened at this pump earlier (as per the attendant), the problem was not fixed by the station and the personnel (station manager) treated this very casually.

I am attaching pictures for your reference.

6:16 pm EDT

Esso Falsely accusing an Aboriginal youth

So May 26 2023. I sent my 12 year old to get a charger. She was told to get out of the store without being told why. So I went back with her and asked the employee why he told her to leave the store. He starts off telling me that her n four other youth stole from him and that they had a knife. I tried to ask questions he just kept saying he couldnt give me any info and that I needed to go back Monday when his boss was in. I kept asking him questions. So I finally got around to going to talk to this boss. To ask questions showed him pictures of my daughter. He goes on to say that she looks like two different kids. Well it wasn't two different kids was the same kid. Well where we live the place is recorded 24/7 we sign in n out. Everything is documented. I found out that the date in question was Jan 13 around 7-8pm. I have a whole staff witnesses where we live that can say my child was wrongfully accused of from the store she is no longer allowed to go back to because he is 100% sure she was one of the youths. This happened at 2019 Pembina Winnipeg, mb Canada. I would like a formal apology from that employee for falsely accusing my daughter. My staff at makoon transition inc can vouch for my child's whereabouts that day and time as well.

Desired outcome: I'd like a formal apology from that employee for falsely accusing my 12 first Nation youth and I don't think he should be working there if he can't positively Id the right people.

Esso In-depth Review

Overview: Esso is a well-established company that offers a range of services to meet customers' fuel needs. With a rich history and background, Esso has become a trusted name in the industry.

Products and Services: Esso provides a wide range of fuel products to cater to different vehicles and preferences. In addition to fuel, they also offer additional services such as car wash facilities, convenience stores, and loyalty programs.

Pricing and Discounts: Esso offers competitive pricing for their fuel products, with different pricing structures for various fuel types. They also provide discounts and promotions to help customers save money. When compared to competitors, Esso's pricing remains competitive.

Fuel Quality and Efficiency: Esso's fuel is known for its high quality and efficiency. Customers can expect good fuel efficiency and mileage when using Esso's products. Moreover, Esso ensures compliance with environmental standards, making their fuel a responsible choice.

Customer Service: At Esso stations, customers can expect excellent customer service. The staff is friendly, helpful, and responsive to inquiries or complaints. Esso values their customers and strives to provide a positive experience.

Station Facilities: Esso stations are well-maintained and clean, providing a pleasant environment for customers. Amenities such as restrooms, air pumps, and vacuum cleaners are readily available. Additionally, Esso stations offer convenient parking facilities.

Loyalty Programs: Esso offers loyalty programs like Esso Extra and Speedpass, allowing customers to earn rewards and benefits. These programs are easy to use, and points can be earned and redeemed with ease.

Convenience Store: Esso's convenience stores offer a wide range of high-quality products. The pricing of items is competitive compared to other retailers. Customers can find a variety of options for snacks, beverages, and other essentials.

Online Experience: The Esso website is user-friendly and functional, providing a seamless online experience. Customers can easily order fuel online or make reservations. The website also integrates well with mobile apps and offers convenient payment methods.

Community Involvement and Sustainability: Esso actively engages with the community through various initiatives and supports local organizations or charities. They also prioritize environmental sustainability by investing in renewable energy and reducing their carbon footprint.

Overall Rating: Esso receives a positive overall evaluation. Their range of services, fuel quality, customer service, and commitment to sustainability make them a reliable choice. When compared to competitors, Esso stands out as a top contender in the industry. Potential customers are highly recommended to consider Esso for their fuel needs.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Esso contacts

Dedicated to Authenticity

Encouraging Detailed Feedback

Balanced and Constructive Conversations

Free and Fair Platform

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with Esso?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Esso Customer Service. Initial Esso complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Esso above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Esso. Discuss the issues you have had with Esso and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.