Empire Today Carpetcomplete dissatisfaction and unprofessional service

December 9, 2005 I purchased laminate flooring and carpeting for my 2900 square foot home. I paid $3500.00 cash for the laminate, in advance because Empire Today would not install the flooring without pre-payment and charged the carpeting on an account that they set up for me with your company. I also had to sign for the complete bill for the carpeting of $4618.00 three days before installation was scheduled. The laminate was installed 12/10/05 but the installer was short of material and left the job incomplete, he stated that he would not be back to finish the job, that Empire could send somebody else to do it because it did not pay him enough to come back out. On Tuesday 12/13/05 at 9:15am the carpet installers arrived to install the carpet, the laminate was not complete. As instructed, I had cleaned out all closets and removed all small items; I also moved every piece of furniture I could lift, out of the way. The carpet crew spoke only Spanish until the directed a question to me, we then discovered that the carpet that was sent with them was incorrect. Carlos, the crew leader became angry, he re-measured the areas to be carpeted and called the office to advise them of the mistake. He told me that they would send new carpet; I live 30 miles from the warehouse. He also became angry with me because the laminate was completed first; I explained to him that the salesman had set it up that way, not me. They began to install the upstairs and while they were coming down the steps another crew arrived to finish the laminate, they spoke no English at all. Carlos yelled at them that they were in his way, I called Empire and spoke to Olispia and she began to document what was going on. Carlos had a woman with him working in my house who offered to perform cleaning services, when I asked her if she had a business in Tampa; she stated that she was an illegal. I really did not feel comfortable with these people in my house. By 3:15pm I called Mike Smith at the Tampa warehouse to check on the status of the carpet, he asked me to put Carlos on the phone, Carlos and the woman were gone and the other man did not speak any English. I spoke to Mike until 3:35pm and Carlos re-entered my house, he was angry and yelling at me that I was complaining about him. I tried to explain that I was checking on the carpet he would not listen to me. I called Mike Smith back and asked him to call Carlos and explain what was going on, Carlos would not take his calls. The woman was using all of my cleaning products and supplies without asking. I heard a loud noise and found her using my vacuum sweeper to pick up tacking nails. This crew was at my home from 9am to 7pm, they left old carpet pads and carpeting all over my yard, my contract stated that they were to remove old carpeting, my daughter and I had to clean it all up and drag it to the street. When the new carpet had arrived, Carlos laid it out in the street and cut it there, I have had an ant problem ever since. They were to move furniture as per my contract; they moved a file cabinet to my front porch and left it there. Since they left I have found sharp carpet razor blades all over my house, in my window sills, stuck in the trunks of my trees, etc. Carlos demanded that I sign a statement to the effect that I was satisfied with the job, I asked if that meant that I was happy with the installation, he demanded that I sign whether I was happy or not, by this time I just wanted these people out of my house, I still had to put back all of the furniture, they left without doing so. The carpet installation is horrendous; I called and spoke with John Spinella, operations manager, in Tampa, FL. He came out to the house to examine the job. He agreed with me that the majority of the job needed to be redone, he assured me that he would send his best man out, and I was to call after the Christmas holidays to schedule a time. After the 1st of the year, all of my calls to Mr. Spinella went unanswered; he never returned any of my calls. I spoke with many people from the call center, they added more to the computer documentation of my troubles. Mr. Spinella had also agreed to a discount and money to replace my broken vacuum. Several months later I finally was able to talk to somebody who represented themselves as a supervisor, she stated that she would take $300.00 off and return to redo the carpeting, I said that $300.00 barely covers my vacuum cleaner, I suggested a 20% discount, she stated that she had to speak to somebody else, I said why don’t you just issue me an entire credit in the amount of $4618.00, she stated that she could do that but they would have to come and rip out the carpet. She said that after speaking with her supervisor she would get back to me, she never did. I became sick for several months; I finally began to pursue this again. I spoke with Andrea in Tampa; she assured me that she would correct the problem and make this right. I suggested to her that she issue, in writing, 50% credit and I would pay the bill of $2309.00 and that they would not have to fix the carpet, I would get somebody else to do the job. I could not bear the thought of this company sending anyone else into my home. This was on July 14, 2006; she returned several phone calls to me and stated, that was not an unreasonable request. She promised to call me on Monday 7/17/06 to confirm our arraignments, she never called. I started calling and when I pushed in her extension I received a message that this extension is no longer accepting calls. I went on the internet and found many disturbing customer comments about how customers were treated. They mentioned by name Helen Brown and that she did nothing to help them. I called the number from the internet and spoke to another Mike (he stated that he could not give me his last name), He said that Helen was not handling this, she has left me several messages, and that Andrea is handling the problem and assured me that she would contact me no later than 10am on July 24th. I have not received any calls from her or her office. I am disputing this bill because the entire carpet needs to be redone, big bubbles, falling off the step up, large frays sticking out (burber carpet) and I am afraid to vacuum. The steps were not installed with tack strips on the top and bottom of each stair, even the laminate is coming up but they already collected the cash for that. I cannot get any form of satisfaction from the company, so as a last resort I am disputing this bill; maybe then somebody will call me back and finalize this. Otherwise I do not feel responsible for the substandard job that was performed in my home, not to mention the way I was treated. I trusted that this company would only send professionals and this was not the case.

Sincerely,
Rita E. Wages

This is a copy of a letter i finally had sent to ge money bank to dispute the charges. the only rep from empire who called me was Helen Brown, I was told not to deal with her by Mike (no last name) from Empire headquarters. Because i did not speak to Helen Brown, GE money bank dropped my dispute. this has been going on for a year, I am so tired of dealing with it, but my carpet is still a mess and i still owe empire an inflated amount of money. I have never dealt with a company that just avoided your calls as soon as you spoke with someone to resolve your issues.

RESOLVED

• Empire Today's response · Jan 12, 2016

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We've read your review, and we are disappointed in the issues that occurred during your installation experience. We would like to know more about the situation and help make things right, but unfortunately, we cannot locate your account with the information posted here. Please send your contact information to [email protected] Thank you. Bill Allivato, National Customer Service Manager

• Di
    Disappointed in GA Jan 12, 2016

I wish I had read these reviews before we agreed to do business with Empire. Our sales rep was great and we worked a deal we were happy with. The vetting process of their installers is why we felt confident about going with them. The day of the installation the lead installer left 2 other workers who could not speak English. They couldn't answer our questions or bring the wood into the thresholds to the correct cut off. Some of the quarter round is cut at 45 degrees and some at 90 degrees. The quiet walk falls off before entry ways and you can feel that there is nothing under the floor. They brought the wrong color wood for the transitions, so when the lead worker came back he asked if he could come back Monday afternoon to finish the thresholds. My husband agreed. He asked if he could leave the trailer they came in, in our driveway as his truck broke down. We agreed! He didn't show up Monday because his truck was still broke down. Of course he didn't call until 2:30 that afternoon once it was too late for my husband to save a half day at work. To make a long story short, the trailer was in our driveway for 4 days. The lead installer finally showed up after 9 pm to get the trailer and to try and get us to sign off on the job. We refused to sign anything. He left the transitions outside and we had to store them in the house because it was going to rain. No one will answer our calls and now our sales rep has gone missing. I can't say how unhappy we are with our experience. I still have unfinished floors, no thresholds, and haven't heard a thing from the sales person or the company. I guess now we have to begin working through legal channels to resolve this. I would never recommend them to anyone I know!

• Di
    digrunteled Mar 01, 2012

WOW, I am so glad I did not use them. I had a saleman from Emprie Carpeting out to my house the other day. I called them becasue they were offering by one room get two rooms for free. What a joke. They were going to charge me $2798 for the one room plus my hallway and steps and $1100 to install the other two rooms. All less than 700 sq feet. All I could think of was sleazy car salesman. This guy came out with every line that is out there. I had a quote from a local company to do the one room, hallway and steps for $1300 installed. And to top it off, as he was walking out the door he said "If you had really worked at me hard enough, i would have given it to you for $1000". What an ### hole. All I could say to that was "Please leave my house". After he left I had to clean my house just to get the stinky filth out. I would never recommend them.

• Be
    Ben Wrabbi Sep 22, 2011

I saw the commercial today for pay for 2 rooms get the rest of the house free. I am replacing carpet, laminate and wood flooring in my 2400 sq ft home. I thought that I would check reviews before contacting Empire Today. Of course on Empire's site and partner sites they have nothing but glowing reviews. Then I found this site and I'm glad that I did. Empire is a JOKE!!! DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM!!!

• Ni
    NightNurse Apr 03, 2011

I found the people friendly and nice...BUT...of the three people they sent to do the installation, NONE of them spoke English. Since I speak NO Spanish it was a gigantic problem. Their workmanship was sloppy. They left glue stains on the carpet, and installed the metal molding between rooms with sharp edges that cut people's feet. The vinyl flooring was not glued down completely, and had multiple air bubbles underneath. Now I notice the carpet is fraying from under the moldings, and I have only had the carpet for 8 months. I have had carpets for 20 years that did not fray around the edges.
    Their products are poor quality, and the workmanship is worse. IF you insist on using this company, make sure you speak Spanish, or they will look at you as if you had two heads when you try to tell them you are not happy with the work.

• Mi
    mistresstomato Mar 23, 2011

I had carpet installed with emprie today 23 months ago. It now looks HORRIBLE. Faded, stained, worn, hard in spots. It's such a waste of money that now I want to have the whole room redone less than 2 years later.

• Pa
    PaulAnne Feb 04, 2011

A sales rep. just left my house. He actually got angry with me, when I told him I was not planning on signing anything today. I said I was in the process of collecting estimates, and I would discuss his proposal with my husband. (That's just how we do it, because my husband works long hours, and he doesn't want to spend his free time with a salesman.) He flat out said he would not present anything to me without my husband. He made me feel bad about the time he spent on the road. He told me he works on comission. He only showed me a few samples, and they were only the high end ones. He did measure my kitchen and call 2 suprivisors for estimates. Then to prepare me for the estimates, he asked me how much money I expected to spend. He asked me if my husband ever tried to install a floor, and did we know what was involved. He also put down Home Depot and Lowes. To sum it up he tried to make me feel stupid, as well as guilty. If that's their idea of a sales pitch, I have no idea how they stay in business. I will not even consider the proposal now.

• Mr
    mrwrig26 Dec 23, 2010

I had Empire install laminate and carpet in my home in November of 2010. The carpet and laminate were installed but the installers did damage to my home in several locations, including getting ink of my carpet, broken molding around a set of doors and most critical they damaged the french doors leading to my deck. It takes a lot of strength now to close the french doors now since the door has to be lifted up and pushed hard to close. In addition, when it rains I now have water leaking into the kitchen from the doors. When I complained about this Empire sent the same floor installer to fix the door and he did not have the skills or tools to fix it. He instead ripped out the weatherstripping from the door and now I have cold air coming through the doors as well. All attempts to have Empire resolve the damage they did have failed. They are telling me to pay for a repairman to fix the damage they have done. I suggest you DO NOT have Empire do your flooring.

• Ju
    Julierk Dec 06, 2010

I had carpeting installed by Empire and I am very unhappy. The carpet is shedding when I vacuum. And it does it all the time. I have called the customer service people and they saiud it would stop after a few months. I had to take my vacuum to a repair place because it is so clogged with fibers. I am afraid that this will be always happening and I dread vacuuming because I feel that the carpeting will continue to deteriorate. I dont know if I should contact the manufacturer of the carpeting or if I could get some of my money back from empire and buy new carpeting from someplace else

• Al
    Almost GOT ME 2 Nov 26, 2010

Wow!!! I just want to say that I am sorry for all these horrible situations, that you guys have encountered at Empire. But I would like to say thank you for posting them. I am a 1st time home owner and I want carpet over my hardwood floors and of course after hearing Empire Ads I was going to go with them. Ha Ha, I have made the appointment for an estimate and even paid my "50.00 deposit" I am going to cancel "RIGHT NOW" after hearing your stories. I hope I don't have any problems with them not cashing my check.

On another note: I feel so stupid my sales person played that same game on me " calling his maneger to get a lower price" lol lol lol Thank once again you really saved this 1st time home owner.

• Bl
    blissedoutsoul Feb 16, 2010

I recently decided to replace carpeting in our rather small living room and master bedroom. I contacted empire because of their Buy one, get two free ad. The salesman was very rude on the phone and was extremely arrogant when he arrived in our home. He insulted my occupation (he didn't understand my job title) and then proceeded to pressure us into a sale. I stated that I would like an itemized bill and he immediately changed the subject. I tried to reason why the price was over $2K and he told me we have almost 1200 square feet to carpet. I was exhausted and decided to schedule an install that Friday. He told me it had to be next day and after much arguing he agreed to the day after. When it was all done I did not feel well about the whole situation and trusted my instinct. I contacted Empire and asked to cancel my order because I know I can receive a much better price. They pleaded with me not to cancel and told me they have to be the lowest price. They offered me $1169 and two weeks to compare prices. After reading your reviews, I am cancelling my order immediately! THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP!

• Pa
    Panthersfan2010 Feb 06, 2010

Called Empire Today because I needed carpet installed for 3 bedrooms, and hallway. The salesperson came out with a couple of samples and began his sales pitch about why we should go with Empire Today. He explained to me that they were competitively priced and would do whatever it took to gain my business. Well, after about 20 minutes he measured the areas and came to me with his estimates of $6000 for their better quality carpet. I was floored (no pun intended) because I already had estimates from Lowes and Home Depot around $3000 dollars. He said "so, let's get this installed for you tomorrow!", I said no thanks - TOO MUCH money!! He acted surprised like I was from Mars. I told him that his price was double what I already had estimates for, so he called his manager and came back with $1000 dollars off. Still, I said no deal, can't do it! Again, he called his manager back and dropped another $1000 dollars off the price to $4000 dollars. Now, if you're me, you're thinking to yourself why didn't he just be upfront with the price in the first place (his commission, his manager's commission, subcontractors, overhead, warranty payouts to other customers, and advertisements are a few that I came up with!) Again, I told him "No thanks" because I don't have a problem with a company making money, but damn I will not allow a company to screw me hard to make their money 3 times over. So he said let me call my manager again and beat your other estimates, finally he came back and said they could do the job for $2900 dollars out the door. I hesitantly agreed and we started the process, then he said I need a $100 deposit to give him. I am thinking to myself what for, you're doing the job tomorrow. Well, that was the end of the story for me. I told him I was done and didn't want the carpet - he tried to explain that it was the normal course of business and was very common and if decided not to go with the carpet I would get a refund for the deposit. Well, from the very beginning of the process I had an uneasy feeling and I knew if I got this type of deception from him on price for installation, I knew there would be issues with getting my deposit back. So end of story, he left and I went with Lowes for my carpet needs. I wish any of you that do go with Empire Today much luck and DO NOT ACCEPT their first price, second price or possible even third price. And, DO GET other estimates for Empire to beat if you really do want to go with Empire Today!!

• Wq
    wqed Jan 30, 2010

Empire Today is a rip-off.

My elderly parents were looking to get new carpet for their living room. They called three places for estimates, including Empire Today.
    - One place offered to do everything (carpet, padding, labor) for $900. They would have to wait about 2 weeks for everything.
    - Another place offered to do everything for $795, but they would have to wait for 6 weeks to get everything.
    - Empire Today wanted ...drum roll please...$3500, and they would install it the next day.

The sad thing is Empire Today tried the same sleazy salesperson tactics on my parents.
    1. The salesperson noticed that my father had some intellectual books at his desk, so he tried to tell my parents that his wife was a PhD and a college professor.
    2. He also tried to schmooze my parents by telling them the he could tell that they like "high class things" and they "go for quality".
    3. Once he gave the price, my parents immediately objected. He called his "manager" to see if he could get a better deal. The better deal was...wait for it...$2700 if they paid cash that day, $3000 if they financed it. My parents still objected. He called his "manager" again. The even better deal was...$2100 if they paid cash that day, $2500 if they financed it.

After the haggling, my father got annoyed. He ended up telling the shady salesperson, "I've always learned that if the salesperson doesn't give you the absolute price, and you're not at a flea market, it's either overinflated prices or a complete scam." My mother also told the man about the prices that the other two places were offering, and asked him why Empire Today charged 3-4 times the price that the two local places were charging. The salesperson's personality completely changed. He became rude and unprofessional, slammed his briefcase, and stormed out of my parents' condo.

• Ki
    Kittieclw Nov 10, 2009

Thanks for all your reviews... I was about to call them but now I will stay away from empire today :)

• Yg
    yguyon Oct 24, 2009

After looking at all these complaint I decided to cancel my free estimate...

• Ha
    HATE EM Oct 06, 2009

EMPIRE SUCKS. DO NOT BUY FROM EMPIRE. You will get the wrong product. Customer serice is a joke. EMPIRE SUCKS.

• Gl
    gladtoreadreviewtoo Oct 04, 2009

After reading these complaints I won't go with them either. I am setting up some new rooms in my house and I saw their add on tv too. I'm glad I checked these reviews out. Empire.. you should be ashamed.

• Gl
    GLAD TO KNOW BEFOREHAND Sep 07, 2009

My husband and I was thinking of recarpeting our house. We've seen the commercials on TV and my husband wanted to call Empire Today for an appointment. I AM SO GLAD that I saw this and got to read some of these horror stories. I will definitely not use them and go with a local company. Thank you all so much for the heads up.

• Ka
    karaeoberth13 Aug 27, 2009

Well I just received a call back after sending in a long email and posting the first complaint here. Now they are telling me they won't fix the uneven floors either. Seems if you complain they only get worse. Now I am going to have to go through the hassel of getting in touch with a lawyer.

Trust me if you are looking for a flooring company to purchase from Empire is not the ones to go through.

• Ka
    karaeoberth13 Aug 27, 2009

They are horrible. We are trying to file a claim right now on our floors that they botched when putting in. They are uneven and coming up at the seams. First they can't find our paperwork, then they forgot to put it in the system. We have been told several different reasons why they are not going to cover certain things but they won't send us a single thing in writing. We have to call 3 to 4 times a day just to get them to tell us the person we are trying to reach isn't in the office today.

I have been keeping track of every single conversation I have had and all the lies I am being told. So far I'm over two pages worth and I still haven't gotten them to call and make an appointment for they agreed they will fix. They are very rude and unprofessional. If you haven't bought floors from them please don't! It will save you time and stress in the future. If you have I feel for you I really do. How they can have the awards listed on the site for customer service that they do is astonishing.

• Gr
    gracies mom Aug 12, 2009

This is a story of bad communication.
    On Aug 2nd, I met with the sales guy who was very professional. He came to my home, did the measure, had plenty of samples and took down my order and my payment. He had to have two credit card slips for this job and he only had one, but he came to my work a couple days later and I signed the slip then. I had to have a wood install and then a carpet runner installed over the wood.
    On Aug 3rd I was told that my flooring was out of stock and should be in in a week.
    On August 5th the carpet installers called and said they'd be there in 15 mins to do the install. Empire did not communicate with the installers about the delay on the wood installation.
    On August 10th, I called my sales guy to find out if my product was in and he told me it was in and they could install it Saturday. I told him no, not Saturday, that I wanted it done during the week.
    On that same evening, August 10th, Empire called me to confirm my Saturday installation and I told them, no, talk to your sales guy. We discussed getting this done during the week. I was put on hold and they did reschedule.
    On August 11th, the wood installers arrived and did a very nice job on my stairs, but they didn't have enough product to finish. They said they would call Empire to tell them they had to come back the following day to finish and to delay the carpet installers by a few hours. That didn't happen.
    On August 12th, at 7am, I got a call from the carpet installers that they would be there in 15 minutes. I told them, no, call Empire. The wood stairs are not yet finished.
    Later that day the carpet installers did arrive (the wood steps were finished beautifully) and they had carpet for the ENTIRE STEP(S)!!! They had no runner. They said they had full steps on their order to carpet. I told them, NO...I paid for a bound berber carpet runner to be installed. They left. I called Empire. My sales guy then called me back.
    He said that Empire does not sell bound berber carpet stair runners (augh!) and they would refund me the money and tell the carpet installers the job was off.
    Then I had to call Empire and talk to cancellations and get my money back.
    Now, everyone I dealt with at Empire was very nice, but this lack of communication between the sales guy, the headquarters and the installers caused me a lot of stress and time.
    I will not hire Empire again for any flooring projects in my house.

• Ha
    half satisfied Jul 23, 2009

I recently had laminate floors put down and carpeting on my stairs and foyer. I was happy with the job they did until I realized they servered my phone line while installing the carpeting on the stairway. I called customer service and spoke to Helen Brown, She said empire would send me a check for $100 dollars to cover the cost of having the phone line repaired. The phone company repair job will cost approx. $350 to $400 to do the rewiring. Empires contract says its not responsible for damages they do to wires, moldings etc.They are licensed and bonded and should pay the full cost for the damage THEY caused. As for the nice job they did only time will tell.The public should be made aware of Empires policies before having them do any work in their home.

• Kp
    kpierson Jul 09, 2009

I had a bad experience with Empire also. I ordered solid oak Mirage flooring in my living room and dining room. I specified I needed 2 1/4 inch width, to match what I have in the foyer. They gave me a decent price, and we signed a contract. My flooring was supposed to be installed on a Monday. On Sunday, my husband and I moved our piano into the kitchen, since Empire does not move pianos. I emptied two china cabinets, and moved every lamp, plant, knickknack and picture out of the two rooms. Instead of getting my floors on Monday, the salesman called me and said he had a concern about the base of our stairs, and an installer would have to look at it before they could do the job, and that he would come that day. Tuesday comes around and, so far, nobody came. Wednesday, the installer came late in the day and said the stairs were no problem. Thursday, the installers arrived with the flooring. I paid the cost in full (something I am not comfortable doing) and they got started. They removed my living room carpet and laid down a few planks. It became obvious very soon that the planks were not the same width as what was in the foyer. They had brought 2 1/2 inch planks. I called Empire. I talked to Dennis, who told me that the flooring is not available in that size, and that the sample mistakenly indicated that it was. (And our contract specified that I would get it.) He told me he had a floor that was "a ringer" that was available in that size called Achievia. He said, if the Mirage is a cadillac, the Achievia is a Lexus. He said he would send the salesman out with a sample, and adjust the price accordingly. The salesman came out with the sample (one plank) and reiterated that, the manufacturer of the Mirage floor had been called, and "They don't make it in that size." I told him that one of the reasons I was comfortable ordering with Empire was that I had researched the Mirage floors and I knew they were a good product. I couldn't find a thing about Achievia. He assured me it would look just as nice, and it had a 25 year warranty. I stupidly agreed to have that product installed. Friday, the installers arrive with Mohawk flooring (What is Achievia?) They brought in some planks and placed them together. They told me that this product is not as nice as the Mirage, and that, when installed, you would be able to see some space between some of the planks. They wanted to make sure I knew it wasn't as nice before they installed it. I called customer service again. I told them about the discrepency in the name of the product. They assured me it was the same thing. (Then why two names?) At this point, I should have cancelled the whole job, but I have to plead temporary insanity, due to having a piano in my kitchen, the contents of two china cabinets, and several lamps, plants, knickknacks, pictures, etc. strewn around my house for the better part of a week, and no floor in my living room, ( the installers having removed it before we discovered the mistake.) Plus, it was the beginning of a holiday weekend, and I was expecting guests. (My floor was supposed to be in the prior Monday.) Besides, I had already paid for it. I thought, what choice do I have? They don't make the other one in the size I want. I foolishly let it be installed, naively thinking I was being told the truth. Big mistake. The installers were very professional and I'm sure the floors look as good as they can. However, there is space between the planks, which is more noticeable than I expected, and the floor is, overall way darker than I expected. This floor isn't a Lexus, it's more of a Ford. Oh well, I thought, too late, what can I do? Then, on a whim, I called Mirage in Canada and found out that, lo and behold, they DO make the natural solid oak in 2 1/4 inch width. What!!! Why did the company lie to me? What's more I called 10 different suppliers around this area, and they all told me, yes you can get that floor in that size. No problem. When I called customer service to ask why I wasn't dealt with fairly, they assured me that, they hadn't said it wasn't made in that size. Empire just can't get it in that size. (Why not? Everyone else can.) What's more, that is not true. I was told and I quote, "We called the manufactured. They don't make it in that size." Now, I'm stuck with a floor that is less than what I wanted, and I feel like I was taken advantage of. Empire tells you they are all about customer service. Don't believe it. They should have been honest with me from the start. I am extremely disappointed. I have four bedrooms and three bathrooms which will all need new flooring in the next few years. I will NOT call Empire again.

• La
    la greer Jun 15, 2009

All I can say is I wish I would have went with Luna or seen this post first. I have had nothing but problems with Empire Today! I don't know what has happened since the Older Gentlemen has left the company but this company sucks! We didn't have enough carpeting to finish the job. The brought us the carpets for not one room but two...since one of the carpets were close to the color we chose we just kept it and low and behold it was still not enough material.
    They were suppose to be coming by early told me they were 7 mins away and did not arrive until 2 and half hours laters.
    I would not ever use Empire or recommend to anyone!
    I could go but I'm just so frustrated and they are still in my house as I write this comment!

Bottom Line Don't Use Empire Today!

Jamie H Jun 03, 2009

Thank you for this post! I had an appointment scheduled, but after reading this, I canceled it. I am very sorry you all hod so many problems with Empire Today. I am also very appreciative that some previous employees of Empire Today commented and told us their side. Thank you all so much!

• Ra
    Rabiya lone Jun 01, 2009

I just wanted to thank you all. I just called them to book an appointment and was told to do it online. then I had some questions, so I called them back, the second lady who picked up sounded really exhausted to attend my call. So as a curiosity I googled "does empire today pick up your old carpet?" because she kept saying the sales rep will answer your question. so after googling you complaints board was on the top. after reading all this especially the empire today employee's statements, I thank you, for saving me my money.

• Da
    David Johnson Mar 16, 2009

I too have been ripped off by Empire Today. I had a sales rep come into my house talk to my kids, play with my dog the whole bit. He convinced me that an engineered hardwood is better than a real hardwood. I argued that at least a real hardwood can be refinished unlike the engineered hardwood. Well to make a long story short, the product that he sold me on (for $5, 700.00) was absolutely crap, after a month the floor was completely scratched up. When we called on the warranty the installer came back and was honest enough to say that he would never have installed this floor in a house with kids and a dog and guess what???????????????? The warranty doesn't cover scratches made from the dog! So why the _ _ _ _ did they recommend this floor?????
    PLEASE DON'T EVER USE THIS COMPANY THEY ARE THEIVES AND WILL SAY ANYTHING TO MAKE A SALE AND WILL NOT STAND BEHIND ANYTHING THAT THEY SAY!!!

• Un
    Unhappy in San Jose Feb 26, 2009

I had laminate and carpet installed last year by Empire and I can tell you DO NOT USE EMPIRE! The carpet they installed is on of the cheapest carpet made, large loop Berber 100% Olefin. They charged the price of high quality nylon. The carpet didn't last two months. The carpet unraveled when I vacuumed it. Empire's response, don't vacuum too often. When it unraveled at the edges, Empire responded, just cut the loose ends off. Had I done what they said, my carpet would have bald spots where the carpet should be. To make a long story short, they eventually replaced my carpet, but charged an additional $500. I felt I had not recourse because I was either stuck paying $2300 for garbage or $2800 for reasonable. I know they were obligated to replace it because of the special rules for credit card purchases. I didn’t know about it then, so they swindled me one more time. Let’s educate ourselves!

The laminate they installed is chipping and scratching. They have decided the cause “site related.” This means they are blaming us. Are they kidding? The laminate was supposed out last us! My neighbors had Armstrong Grand Illusions installed one month after us. They used S&G, they paid half the price and their floor not only looks BEAUTIFUL, it endures heavy traffic with any issue. My neighbor has the same model home and they installed their laminate in high areas while mine is installed in a low traffic area. My laminate is damaged; we have chips that have destroyed the wear layer and now see plywood. We also have scratches throughout the floor. Empire suggests we replace the planks. If I do, I would be replacing about 15 planks. I’m guessing I’ll have to do that as regular maintenance or I could choose not to walk or use floor so I won’t scratch or damage it.

My story spans one year, and I'm still dealing with the poor quality product and service. Empire will definitely overcharge you for the cheapest lowest quality product. They can't even get their hands on quality product so don’t ever expect high quality results.

Anonymous Feb 24, 2009

Thank you everyone for the comments/complaints! I have an appointment with Empire Today later this afternoon and I was so excited about them because of their commercial and the next day installation! but after reading these complaints, I am going to cancel my appointment and go to a local carpet store. THANK YOU EVERYONE for making my decision a lot easier!

• Et
    ETSTR Feb 22, 2009

Trust me, I work for the company and not only do I see how shady they are to their customers, but they treat their employees even worse! You wouldn't believe how little the pay and how much they overcharge!

• Oa
    oakma78 Feb 10, 2009

Hey, I've read all what everyone said on this board. Empire today like every other big companies will always have complaints but the truth about the whole thing is that Empire today has done a whole lot more good than what is being portrayed here. I did buy carpet from Empire today and to be very fair, they did exceed my expectations.

I'm sorry for those who are aggreived by whatever their situation with Empire today is but the company has improved alot and treated their clients with professionalism and respect. Competitors will wine but they are way worse than Empire. If Empire is that bad, I don't think that the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU will rate them as the top flooring company in the nation. For customers who are dissatisfied, channel your complaints to their customer care and I think you'll be taken care of. For those who haven't used Empire but simply use this medium for their information gathering, you also need to read the good reviews by millions of customers who are satisfied with empire which I am one of them.

• Ki
    Kim Feb 06, 2009

I hated my experience with Empire Today. They were very pushy and expensive. They made it known that they could not install the carpet in my room until it was 65 degrees yet the installation man who came out said he would do it anyway discrediting the sales man and ripping the carpet instead of stretching it. They call me daily and harass me. When I said I wanted to cancel a future order I was yelled at being told that I was making a huge mistake. The only mistake I made was calling them in the first place.

christina Feb 01, 2009

ohh man! i made an appointment on a Friday for the salesman to come to my home for the in-home estimate, well i accidentally made two so i called and cancelled one. The operator told me no problem that the other one was still scheduled. By the way the appointment was for Jan.31, 2009 between 1-3pm. well 4pm rolled around and NO empire. I called and talked to an operator she placed me on hold to call the rep that was to come to my home, she then got back on the phone with me and told me that the manager had seen my first appointment cancelled so told the rep to not come. Well let me tell y0u something the operator tried to give me a 50.00 $ credit if i wanted to reschedule and i told her that waiting around all day that day wasn;t worth that little bit of change for another day of waiting to see if they would show up. I proceeded to contact the cust service through email and tell them about my trouble. WELL AFTER VISITING THIS WEBSITE AND READING ALL OF THE HORRIFIC STORIES AND WOULD BE STORIES, I AM SO GLAD THAT THEY DIDN'T MAKE IT TO THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT! THANK YOU ALL FOR TELLING IT LIKE IT IS, AND I AM SOOO SORRY THAT IT HAPPENED YOU SAVED ME AND MY HUSBAND SOME SLEEPLESS NIGHTS!

Mac Jan 08, 2009

THANK YOU everyone who has shared their nightmares. I came onto this site out of curiosity due to all of the Empire Today commercials and I was contemplating having hardwood floors installed. I won't be calling this company!

I am so sorry for everyone who has been taken by this company. I went through this with an awning company, and to make a long story short, I retained a consumer fraud lawyer and sued. In the middles of the suit, the company declared bankrupcy and we could not move forward on the suit. However, and even though it cost me money, the owner was brought to court as there seemed to be many more people who were victims of his and he plead to numerous counts of fraud and robbery.

The lawyer was great, I did end up receiving about $800 back (far less than I spent on legal fees and my deposit, but I really felt better that I had been a part of having this guy's business close. (Yeah, I know her probably opened another one under a different name, but I try not to think of that part).

Since there are so many people on this board with the same experience, why don't you all get together and get a good consumer fraud lawyer and file a class action suit. It may make you feel less helpless about the situation and maybe even get this business to go under so it stop ripping off people.

Mac

• Er
    Eric Dec 04, 2008

Empire Today in the Charlotte area is a joke to deal with. I called them for an estimate just because of the commercials, etc. The window was 9 to 11 on a Saturday morning - the rep showed up at 10:59 and his sample boards were all falling apart. He spent maybe 20 minutes at my home and cranked out a number to put laminate flooring in my 400 sq ft living and dining room. The quote was about $3600 or so and that was the 60% off retail price.

Not being one to buy the first thing, I told him that I would like to get some other quotes and do some further research. He then told me that they will price match any competitor - which I thought was a very admirable way to do business. After getting another quote from Lowe's on Pergo brand flooring - with installation, haul away, etc., which came in $1000 less than Empire, I called the rep back explaining the quote and wanted to see if he could price match.

It has been 2 full weeks since I made that phone call back to Empire, thankfully I have already purchased my flooring from Lowe's and will not recommend Empire to anyone looking for flooring. I will send them to the person at Lowe's who helped me - Empire is a joke.

• Je
    Jessica Nov 27, 2008

HAHAH this is too funny. I wanted to carpet my house with Empire because I see/hear their commercials daily & they tricked me into thinking they were a reputable company! I just googled "empire today" but before I hit "search" the suggestions came up and the first things that came up were COMPLAINTS! umm not a good sign. After reading all these reviews, I'll go with a local carpeting company or referral from friends. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!

Jamie Nov 19, 2008

I hate Empire and would never recomend them to anybody. I am still in the process of arguing about my carpet that was matting and crushing only after a few months. After 2 months of bullsh*t, Their 3rd party inspector came in and did his thing. I explained to him that my dogs (which were outside) were outside dogs, we do not wear shoes on the carpet, I sweep daily..etc. On his report he said my dogs ruined the carpet with their dirt and I only vacuumed once in 7 months, blah blah blah. I couldn't believe he lied!!! Empire said due to his 'conclusion' this was not a manufacturers defect and they can't do anything for me. The only thing I can do is to hire a certified inspector ($200-$300) to do an inspection and if they find different report that Empire will "CONSIDER" a reversal. Yeah right! I have been arguing with them for days and days. I also got transferred to Helen Brown but had to talk to another lady who is handling my calls now. I had to explain how the inspector lied several times on the report and that its unfair to make a conclusion on lies. I told her that she needs to send another inspector to my house, while I videotape of course, the whole inspection. I want no lies on this report. She called me back and said yes, and inspector will come out again. I already told her I had contacted my lawyer twice and had every contact information available for the BBB and the Attorney General. My carpet looks like crap and it shouldn't look like this for years the way I take care of it! My grandfather has carpet thats 30 yrs old, with several dogs over the yrs, nobody takes their shoes off ever and its never, ever been steam cleaned and his carpet looks 100% better than mine. I only went with Empire because they could finance me and I had to get my carpet in quick because my child was starting to crawl. I hope this works in my favor or they have definately not heard the last of me! What a rip-off!!!

Josh Nov 18, 2008

I also had a similar experience with empire today. They came to install my laminate flooring and did not have enough product. The product they did have was not the same as the product they brought samples of the day before. Although I was assured it was by the same company that tried to charge me 5800.00 initially and yet could easily drop to 2100.00 when I asked them to leave. All that empire has to offer is high pressure sales man and a lousy customer service department that will not do anything for you. Stay away from empire.

maria Nov 17, 2008

I am in the process of getting some blinds installed by empire today. Last tuesday I took the day off because the installers were supposed to be here between 8-6, later in the morning they called rescheduling for the day after and when I asked them if they could be here early in the morning so that I could go to work after they finish they said that 11 was the earliest because they are coming from Long Island and I live in NYC, I complain about that because if it is going to take them 3 hours to finish their work by the time they leave it makes no sense for me to go to work, so I had to take a second day off. They showed up at 12:15, and when they open the boxes they realized the manufacturers had sent the wrong measurements, so now I am still with no blinds and will have to take a third day off (by the way I'm already out of sick days). They say that if I cancel the order they will charge 33%, and that would be a lot of money. They also said they can accommodate me on weekends, but they know in condos in NYC they are not authorize to come past 5 pm or weekends. If they want to accommodate me they could try to be here at 9 am, and get up one day early.

• Kl
    KLS Sep 25, 2008

Thanks for the comments above. I was just on the net to look up the number to Empire because I couldn't remember the catchy song. Boy and I glad I ran across this website first. Empire Today. Thanks but NO THANKS!!!.

Jane Napolitano Sep 13, 2008

I wish I had looked into compaints against EMPIRE today before we contracted with them!

We had a carpet installed badly (loose ends, holes, glue, tacks etc) and complained. The next day they sent someone to fix it, which they couldn't do. They ripped up the carpet and re-installed, again badly. This time they put tack strips on the riser of the stairs. Three people visiting my home got cut (one badly) in the two days following.
    We complained again and they came out to replace the stairs. Two weeks later the rug has flattened, frayed and disintergrate in spots!

It has been a nightmare. I have contacted the Atty General. By the way, we were given the name of Helen Brown too. She did nothing.