[Resolved] Empire Today Carpetcomplete dissatisfaction and unprofessional service

December 9, 2005 I purchased laminate flooring and carpeting for my 2900 square foot home. I paid $3500.00 cash for the laminate, in advance because Empire Today would not install the flooring without pre-payment and charged the carpeting on an account that they set up for me with your company. I also had to sign for the complete bill for the carpeting of $4618.00 three days before installation was scheduled. The laminate was installed 12/10/05 but the installer was short of material and left the job incomplete, he stated that he would not be back to finish the job, that Empire could send somebody else to do it because it did not pay him enough to come back out. On Tuesday 12/13/05 at 9:15am the carpet installers arrived to install the carpet, the laminate was not complete. As instructed, I had cleaned out all closets and removed all small items; I also moved every piece of furniture I could lift, out of the way. The carpet crew spoke only Spanish until the directed a question to me, we then discovered that the carpet that was sent with them was incorrect. Carlos, the crew leader became angry, he re-measured the areas to be carpeted and called the office to advise them of the mistake. He told me that they would send new carpet; I live 30 miles from the warehouse. He also became angry with me because the laminate was completed first; I explained to him that the salesman had set it up that way, not me. They began to install the upstairs and while they were coming down the steps another crew arrived to finish the laminate, they spoke no English at all. Carlos yelled at them that they were in his way, I called Empire and spoke to Olispia and she began to document what was going on. Carlos had a woman with him working in my house who offered to perform cleaning services, when I asked her if she had a business in Tampa; she stated that she was an illegal. I really did not feel comfortable with these people in my house. By 3:15pm I called Mike Smith at the Tampa warehouse to check on the status of the carpet, he asked me to put Carlos on the phone, Carlos and the woman were gone and the other man did not speak any English. I spoke to Mike until 3:35pm and Carlos re-entered my house, he was angry and yelling at me that I was complaining about him. I tried to explain that I was checking on the carpet he would not listen to me. I called Mike Smith back and asked him to call Carlos and explain what was going on, Carlos would not take his calls. The woman was using all of my cleaning products and supplies without asking. I heard a loud noise and found her using my vacuum sweeper to pick up tacking nails. This crew was at my home from 9am to 7pm, they left old carpet pads and carpeting all over my yard, my contract stated that they were to remove old carpeting, my daughter and I had to clean it all up and drag it to the street. When the new carpet had arrived, Carlos laid it out in the street and cut it there, I have had an ant problem ever since. They were to move furniture as per my contract; they moved a file cabinet to my front porch and left it there. Since they left I have found sharp carpet razor blades all over my house, in my window sills, stuck in the trunks of my trees, etc. Carlos demanded that I sign a statement to the effect that I was satisfied with the job, I asked if that meant that I was happy with the installation, he demanded that I sign whether I was happy or not, by this time I just wanted these people out of my house, I still had to put back all of the furniture, they left without doing so. The carpet installation is horrendous; I called and spoke with John Spinella, operations manager, in Tampa, FL. He came out to the house to examine the job. He agreed with me that the majority of the job needed to be redone, he assured me that he would send his best man out, and I was to call after the Christmas holidays to schedule a time. After the 1st of the year, all of my calls to Mr. Spinella went unanswered; he never returned any of my calls. I spoke with many people from the call center, they added more to the computer documentation of my troubles. Mr. Spinella had also agreed to a discount and money to replace my broken vacuum. Several months later I finally was able to talk to somebody who represented themselves as a supervisor, she stated that she would take $300.00 off and return to redo the carpeting, I said that $300.00 barely covers my vacuum cleaner, I suggested a 20% discount, she stated that she had to speak to somebody else, I said why don’t you just issue me an entire credit in the amount of $4618.00, she stated that she could do that but they would have to come and rip out the carpet. She said that after speaking with her supervisor she would get back to me, she never did. I became sick for several months; I finally began to pursue this again. I spoke with Andrea in Tampa; she assured me that she would correct the problem and make this right. I suggested to her that she issue, in writing, 50% credit and I would pay the bill of $2309.00 and that they would not have to fix the carpet, I would get somebody else to do the job. I could not bear the thought of this company sending anyone else into my home. This was on July 14, 2006; she returned several phone calls to me and stated, that was not an unreasonable request. She promised to call me on Monday 7/17/06 to confirm our arraignments, she never called. I started calling and when I pushed in her extension I received a message that this extension is no longer accepting calls. I went on the internet and found many disturbing customer comments about how customers were treated. They mentioned by name Helen Brown and that she did nothing to help them. I called the number from the internet and spoke to another Mike (he stated that he could not give me his last name), He said that Helen was not handling this, she has left me several messages, and that Andrea is handling the problem and assured me that she would contact me no later than 10am on July 24th. I have not received any calls from her or her office. I am disputing this bill because the entire carpet needs to be redone, big bubbles, falling off the step up, large frays sticking out (burber carpet) and I am afraid to vacuum. The steps were not installed with tack strips on the top and bottom of each stair, even the laminate is coming up but they already collected the cash for that. I cannot get any form of satisfaction from the company, so as a last resort I am disputing this bill; maybe then somebody will call me back and finalize this. Otherwise I do not feel responsible for the substandard job that was performed in my home, not to mention the way I was treated. I trusted that this company would only send professionals and this was not the case.

Sincerely,
Rita E. Wages

This is a copy of a letter i finally had sent to ge money bank to dispute the charges. the only rep from empire who called me was Helen Brown, I was told not to deal with her by Mike (no last name) from Empire headquarters. Because i did not speak to Helen Brown, GE money bank dropped my dispute. this has been going on for a year, I am so tired of dealing with it, but my carpet is still a mess and i still owe empire an inflated amount of money. I have never dealt with a company that just avoided your calls as soon as you spoke with someone to resolve your issues.

RESOLVED

• Empire Today's response · Jan 12, 2016

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We've read your review, and we are disappointed in the issues that occurred during your installation experience. We would like to know more about the situation and help make things right, but unfortunately, we cannot locate your account with the information posted here. Please send your contact information to [email protected] Thank you. Bill Allivato, National Customer Service Manager

• Al
    Alice C Hawkins Jan 31, 2007

I am in kind of the same situation, I was charged a large sum of money for my basement to be installed. I only called empire because I thought they were professionals and I run a daycare in my home and I needed immediate installation. The people who came out to my home were not professionals at all. My carpet was also laid with some bubbles and along the base board the carpet was not tack down correctly. I had a gut feeling not to go with them because when I ask about the 50% there was none in so many words. TO MUCH MONEY-NON PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS- UNPROFESSIONAL WORK. Please make sure any job you receive from a contractor is referred(word of mouth) no matter how big the companies name.

• Em
    Empire-Today Feb 12, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and have tried to contact you in regards to your complaint. If you can either give us a call at 888-588-2300 and ask to speak to one of our Consumer Affair Agents, we will be more than happy to assist you in your area of needs. Or give us a number so that we can speak to with you in regards to bringing this complaint to a satisfactory level with you and your family. We are in the office from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm CST.

James P. Page Mar 23, 2007

An estimator from Empire today just left my home. I am glad i didnt sign anywhere on any dotted line, what a bunch of jokers these people are. I have 550sq ft of area i want installed, she would not give me a price per sqft... "its a package price" well the ending estimate was $11,200!!! Thats 20 bucks a sq ft!!! nobody in town gets that price! not even for real hardwood!

Also when the estimator was asking me about budget i was telling her i had friends in the business and she immediately jumped my ### asking if i had friends in the business why did i call them, well i called Empire for immediate installation. She was a

Anyways it comes down to this, Empire sucks, i can just go to home depot and get a better job done for around 2500 bucks. Just as good product with nicer people and an itemized bill. Anyways thanks for the reviews on them!

• Ka
    Kate B Apr 05, 2007

Empire Today Sucks!

I called to have someone come out and give me an estimate for carpeting in a new basement bedroom. The only reason I called them is due to their commercials stating they can install the next day.

The guy Steve they sent out to measure was very Rude! He kicked our toy poodle, because the dog smelled his shoe. It was very unprofessional. He only had a few samples in his back seat of his car. I expected them to come in a van or something with a big selection. When he asked what kind of carpet I wanted, and I wasnt sure, he had a fit in my home! High pressure. I felt very uncomfortable with this guy in my home. He kept complaining that he drove 60 miles to get to our home, then five minutes later he says her drove 30 miles. He was a creep!

Also Empires price was double our local carpet store. It was all a lesser quality carpet. Like I said the only reason I called them for an estimate was due to the next day installation. I would rather wait the week for the local carpet store.

Never call Empire Today. They are creeps!

• Da
    Dawn E Hutchinson May 21, 2007

My master bedroom closet is still unfinished and we cant get anybody from Empire out either...we too had razor blades left everywhere, our carpet was laid out in the street (it was raining) so the non-english speaking crew could cut it. The carpet is falling off of the stairs and we are PISSED! When we initially were given the quote for carpet it was too expensive so they told us that they would take $1500.00 off, so we proceeded with the job... we are now stuck paying for the whole quoted amount because nobody put it in writing that they gave us a discount. Very Dishonest Company and nobody there knows anything!. BUYERS BEWARE!!!

• Bo
    Bo So Sep 13, 2007

I also have a complaint to make. I just called the customer service and they were very unprofessional. I asked whether the crew will move my piano and how many crew will come to change for a 500 sq feet area. I got transfer and both times I couldn't get an answer but was encouraged to schedule an appointment. After I view the compliants on the internet, I am hesitate to have them to do my floor.

• St
    Steve Hilliard Oct 06, 2007

Having been a former sales person for Empire today, here are a few facts. 1.) The sales people are sub contractors and are NOT employees of empire 2.) The people that do the work are sub contractors and are NOT employees of empire. 3.) 80 % of the jobs I sold resulted in broken promises, shoddy workmenship, significant delays in installation, very frustrated and upset customers. I sold their home improvement products windows and siding. The few actual employees that do work within any given state to oversee the subcontractors do not care about the customers and I've actually heard them suggest to customers that they might be better off cancelling their orders in situtations involving delays in getting over there to do the work. If a dissatisfied customer makes enough noise or goes to the media they might get some satisfaction. There are many who don't. Of those few who are actually employed by Empire and decide to leave out of pure disgust for what goes on in this company they get a payoff to keep their mouths shut.

• Ji
    jim lathom Nov 18, 2007

Our Realtor recommended Empire Today Carpet to re carpet our 1800 sq ft town home so we scheduled an in-home sales call. The salesman arrived on time, but immediately I could tell he was not enjoying his job. After taking some measurements he went into his robotic speak about how great his company is. Is was so lackluster and pathetically scripted! He only brought in three sample boards, one of each price point, low medium and high. We chose the medium grade. He then gave us a price of $12,000 after all the discounts and it required we commit today and have it installed tomorrow. We said that was out of the question. He said, and I quote, "what can I do to get your business today?". That is the worst used car salesman line ever. To top that off, he made a call to his manager to see if he could get a special wholesale deal for us. The price immediately dropped to $5700. After asking him to break that down into per square foot cost (he had to ask his manager how to do that!), it seemed like a good deal. Later that day we visited a local retailer who offered to do the same carpet for $4900. We cancelled Empire and went with the local guys. He bottom line is, if you want to invite a sleazy used car (pet) salesman into your home call Empire. Their come-on is next day install and financing deals. Their business practices are not honest nor forthright. I would recommend to all to stay away.

• Dy
    Dylan Cyr Feb 29, 2008

I'm 21 years old and I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. My father (and a partner) owns a retail carpet store and warehouse in the South Charlotte area called Empire Carpet and Blinds, and I have been working with them for a few years now. They have been open for since 1995. About a year or so ago, we heard about Empire today coming to do business in Charlotte. They sent our company a letter claiming that they had the rights to the "Empire" name and would take legal actions if we didn't change our name. My father and his partner didn't budge and said they knew there were no rights to that name. After that, they stopped bothering them. Anyway, since coming to Charlotte I have heard nothing but bad things about them. We go into L. Fishman & Sons to get flooring supplies and on a board they have business cards for carpet companies so sub-contractors can get work - and on the Empire Today card somebody wrote "THESE GUYS WILL SCREW A CARPET INSTALLER" with a black marker. We have gone into houses that have had work done by them and I have heard nothing but complaints about their salesman and their subs. In my honest opinion I don't understand why somebody would call a number, have a salesman come to your house from God knows where, then have subcontractors that are one and done. They come to your house, do crappy work, and they're done with it. You have a problem with your carpet - they aren't coming out to fix it. As soon as you've paid them they are out of your life and will make excuses just to ease your mind. I have heard about their scams from many dissatisfied customers. I am in no way trying to help our business, but why would you want work done from a company that doesn't have a showroom or wearhouse? If there was a problem with flooring that we put in, we have to go fix it. Our reputation means very much. Big companies such as Empire just flat out don't care, they are a milti-million dollar company that won't be hurt by complaints. We have had people call our salesman and ask for a reason why they're flooring is as bad as it is and they have to explain that we aren't THAT Empire. At first we thought a big comany with that big of a name may have people calling us because they have mistaken our company for theirs, but at times it hurts us because people have not been satisfied with the work that has been done by Empire Today, and the complaints in the Charlotte area from Emipre Today fall onto us. I am not here to complain about them, I am here to inform.

• Mj
    MJB Mar 23, 2008

I agree with all of the above negative reviews of Empire Today. This company should not be in business. They have a very rude customer service that has no idea what they are doing. I am employed by a Fortune 500 company and if we ran our customer service the way this business does we would be OUT OF BUSINESS!

We had an installation scheduled for Saturday between 8-6. Which I think is ridiculous. I had a feeling that this would not happen.
    Surprise, surprise the installation team never showed up.
    After numerous calls/being kept on hold with the customer service line NOTHING was resolved.
    The two employees we spoke with were RUDE. (I have their names but will not list on the internet).
    The first time I called I was placed on hold for 20 minutes then hung up on. The second time they did not want to help us out and basically in so many words said that if the team did not show up we were out of luck until Monday.

I work from home and had to take apart my office in order for them to do the work. And they never showed up!!! We have filed a complaint with the General Manager (left a message) who knows if we will receive a call back.
    I should have read the reviews on line before ordering the work. I though that a business that advertises the way that they do would be more professional. Guess not!

We will be canceling our contract with them first thing on Monday morning.

Beware of these jerks. THEY ARE HORRIBLE. And a poor excuse for a business.

Sincerely,
    Marina B

Sam Jenkins May 21, 2008

I am looking to install laminate wood on 450 sq. feet of my home by next weekend. After reading the reviews, I will not be doing business with Empire. Thanks for the heads up.

• Li
    Linda G. Jul 02, 2008

Thanks for the heads up. I was ready to call empire today to order laminatede flooring and my home done over in carpet but NO WAY will i do it now. Thanks again.

• Ph
    PHY M Jul 07, 2008

I WISH I WOULD HAVE READ ALL THIS SOONER. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS ALREADY AND THEY HAVEN'T EVEN GOT TO MY HOUSE YET.

• Do
    Don Jul 26, 2008

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about scheduling a rep. to visit my home, but after reading these reviews and others, I will surely stay away from Empire Today.

• Bi
    Bill Roberts Aug 04, 2008

Everything that former salesman above Steve Hilliard said is true. I was also a sales person for Empire. Listen to what is being said. Do not buy from this company !!! You'll get nothing but stress over the bad decision you made and sub par work. And once they've finished installing the crap they call carpet...Good luck getting help to get your problems resolved.

And those commercials ! Save 50 %. Save 50 % of what ? What are they basing that number on ? Find an honest local carpet company.

• Re
    Remain Secret Aug 21, 2008

Last year I had Empire Today come in and give me an estimate. I had asked for both CARPET samples and WOOD flooring samples to be brought. The sales person only brought wood. She then told us this outrageous price and I flat out said NO before my husband could speak. She then called her "boss" and came back with a cheaper price. She tired to get us to sign a contract right then and there...I told her NO and that we needed to discuss it.

I never did call them back to schedule an appointment. I just had a bad feeling about the whole experience. Within the past few weeks my husband and I have been talking about calling them back and having the flooring installed...I decided to come here first and find out if everyone has been satisfied or unhappy with the service. After reading all of this I'm going to call a local installer.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and I'm truely sorry for all the trouble you have endured.

• Sh
    shelley Aug 23, 2008

I actually just scheduled an online appointment. I am going to cancel that right now. I am so glad for all of your reviews ...thanks for keeping me from making a huge mistake!!

Josh Aug 27, 2008

Ha! I just now called to cancel my appointment. The Customer Service rep didn't even skip a beat when I said I read some reviews and wanted to cancel. She simply said "Ok, I will let the rep know not to come to the appointment." These people know what's up. Great review!

Anonymous Aug 31, 2008

Wow after reading all these comments, I ma glad I got out when I did, I just recently resigned from Empire Today, I worked in one of the call centers and handled cancellations. Well let me tell you all straight from the source. Empire Today will overcharge you, ALOT and also about 90% of the time the sales rep that goes to your home will measure your rooms for sq. footage, and then add 20% to the total square footage. Then they will for sure give you a silly high price, and if you dont agree with the price they will just knock off about 15% and if you still dont agree, they will just keep knocking that price down. It will make you wonder just how much is the product worth. If you agree with the rep. and you sign the paper, he will give you some line like in order to keep this price for you, it must be installed within 3 days, or something along those lines. Ok so lets say you have your installation all set up for a week from today, and you went to another store and found the same product or better for a lesser price, then you would have called me in the cancellations department. This is where the fun begins. You call in and go through the automated system, then get put on hold, for probably 10 minutes, then customer service answers, then they have to transfer you to cancellations, well we will give you the run around, and try to convince you in any way to stay with Empire, we can offer lower prices and you name it we will try to do it for ya. It made me sick working there, they basically tell us to lie to the customers to make them happy. Stay Away from Empire Today. You will always be able to find a better deal elsewhere. If you have a serous problem and want to speak to a supervisor, forget about it, you wont get one on the phone, oh the supervisor will be there, but refuse to talk to you the customer.
    Well sorry everyone for rambling on and on, but I could go on for hours about how messed up this company is, just be warned you will have a headache from beginning to end.

Jane Napolitano Sep 13, 2008

I wish I had looked into compaints against EMPIRE today before we contracted with them!

We had a carpet installed badly (loose ends, holes, glue, tacks etc) and complained. The next day they sent someone to fix it, which they couldn't do. They ripped up the carpet and re-installed, again badly. This time they put tack strips on the riser of the stairs. Three people visiting my home got cut (one badly) in the two days following.
    We complained again and they came out to replace the stairs. Two weeks later the rug has flattened, frayed and disintergrate in spots!

It has been a nightmare. I have contacted the Atty General. By the way, we were given the name of Helen Brown too. She did nothing.

• Kl
    KLS Sep 25, 2008

Thanks for the comments above. I was just on the net to look up the number to Empire because I couldn't remember the catchy song. Boy and I glad I ran across this website first. Empire Today. Thanks but NO THANKS!!!.

maria Nov 17, 2008

I am in the process of getting some blinds installed by empire today. Last tuesday I took the day off because the installers were supposed to be here between 8-6, later in the morning they called rescheduling for the day after and when I asked them if they could be here early in the morning so that I could go to work after they finish they said that 11 was the earliest because they are coming from Long Island and I live in NYC, I complain about that because if it is going to take them 3 hours to finish their work by the time they leave it makes no sense for me to go to work, so I had to take a second day off. They showed up at 12:15, and when they open the boxes they realized the manufacturers had sent the wrong measurements, so now I am still with no blinds and will have to take a third day off (by the way I'm already out of sick days). They say that if I cancel the order they will charge 33%, and that would be a lot of money. They also said they can accommodate me on weekends, but they know in condos in NYC they are not authorize to come past 5 pm or weekends. If they want to accommodate me they could try to be here at 9 am, and get up one day early.

Josh Nov 18, 2008

I also had a similar experience with empire today. They came to install my laminate flooring and did not have enough product. The product they did have was not the same as the product they brought samples of the day before. Although I was assured it was by the same company that tried to charge me 5800.00 initially and yet could easily drop to 2100.00 when I asked them to leave. All that empire has to offer is high pressure sales man and a lousy customer service department that will not do anything for you. Stay away from empire.

Jamie Nov 19, 2008

I hate Empire and would never recomend them to anybody. I am still in the process of arguing about my carpet that was matting and crushing only after a few months. After 2 months of bullsh*t, Their 3rd party inspector came in and did his thing. I explained to him that my dogs (which were outside) were outside dogs, we do not wear shoes on the carpet, I sweep daily..etc. On his report he said my dogs ruined the carpet with their dirt and I only vacuumed once in 7 months, blah blah blah. I couldn't believe he lied!!! Empire said due to his 'conclusion' this was not a manufacturers defect and they can't do anything for me. The only thing I can do is to hire a certified inspector ($200-$300) to do an inspection and if they find different report that Empire will "CONSIDER" a reversal. Yeah right! I have been arguing with them for days and days. I also got transferred to Helen Brown but had to talk to another lady who is handling my calls now. I had to explain how the inspector lied several times on the report and that its unfair to make a conclusion on lies. I told her that she needs to send another inspector to my house, while I videotape of course, the whole inspection. I want no lies on this report. She called me back and said yes, and inspector will come out again. I already told her I had contacted my lawyer twice and had every contact information available for the BBB and the Attorney General. My carpet looks like crap and it shouldn't look like this for years the way I take care of it! My grandfather has carpet thats 30 yrs old, with several dogs over the yrs, nobody takes their shoes off ever and its never, ever been steam cleaned and his carpet looks 100% better than mine. I only went with Empire because they could finance me and I had to get my carpet in quick because my child was starting to crawl. I hope this works in my favor or they have definately not heard the last of me! What a rip-off!!!

• Je
    Jessica Nov 27, 2008

HAHAH this is too funny. I wanted to carpet my house with Empire because I see/hear their commercials daily & they tricked me into thinking they were a reputable company! I just googled "empire today" but before I hit "search" the suggestions came up and the first things that came up were COMPLAINTS! umm not a good sign. After reading all these reviews, I'll go with a local carpeting company or referral from friends. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!

• Er
    Eric Dec 04, 2008

Empire Today in the Charlotte area is a joke to deal with. I called them for an estimate just because of the commercials, etc. The window was 9 to 11 on a Saturday morning - the rep showed up at 10:59 and his sample boards were all falling apart. He spent maybe 20 minutes at my home and cranked out a number to put laminate flooring in my 400 sq ft living and dining room. The quote was about $3600 or so and that was the 60% off retail price.

Not being one to buy the first thing, I told him that I would like to get some other quotes and do some further research. He then told me that they will price match any competitor - which I thought was a very admirable way to do business. After getting another quote from Lowe's on Pergo brand flooring - with installation, haul away, etc., which came in $1000 less than Empire, I called the rep back explaining the quote and wanted to see if he could price match.

It has been 2 full weeks since I made that phone call back to Empire, thankfully I have already purchased my flooring from Lowe's and will not recommend Empire to anyone looking for flooring. I will send them to the person at Lowe's who helped me - Empire is a joke.

Mac Jan 08, 2009

THANK YOU everyone who has shared their nightmares. I came onto this site out of curiosity due to all of the Empire Today commercials and I was contemplating having hardwood floors installed. I won't be calling this company!

I am so sorry for everyone who has been taken by this company. I went through this with an awning company, and to make a long story short, I retained a consumer fraud lawyer and sued. In the middles of the suit, the company declared bankrupcy and we could not move forward on the suit. However, and even though it cost me money, the owner was brought to court as there seemed to be many more people who were victims of his and he plead to numerous counts of fraud and robbery.

The lawyer was great, I did end up receiving about $800 back (far less than I spent on legal fees and my deposit, but I really felt better that I had been a part of having this guy's business close. (Yeah, I know her probably opened another one under a different name, but I try not to think of that part).

Since there are so many people on this board with the same experience, why don't you all get together and get a good consumer fraud lawyer and file a class action suit. It may make you feel less helpless about the situation and maybe even get this business to go under so it stop ripping off people.

Mac

christina Feb 01, 2009

ohh man! i made an appointment on a Friday for the salesman to come to my home for the in-home estimate, well i accidentally made two so i called and cancelled one. The operator told me no problem that the other one was still scheduled. By the way the appointment was for Jan.31, 2009 between 1-3pm. well 4pm rolled around and NO empire. I called and talked to an operator she placed me on hold to call the rep that was to come to my home, she then got back on the phone with me and told me that the manager had seen my first appointment cancelled so told the rep to not come. Well let me tell y0u something the operator tried to give me a 50.00 $ credit if i wanted to reschedule and i told her that waiting around all day that day wasn;t worth that little bit of change for another day of waiting to see if they would show up. I proceeded to contact the cust service through email and tell them about my trouble. WELL AFTER VISITING THIS WEBSITE AND READING ALL OF THE HORRIFIC STORIES AND WOULD BE STORIES, I AM SO GLAD THAT THEY DIDN'T MAKE IT TO THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT! THANK YOU ALL FOR TELLING IT LIKE IT IS, AND I AM SOOO SORRY THAT IT HAPPENED YOU SAVED ME AND MY HUSBAND SOME SLEEPLESS NIGHTS!

• Ki
    Kim Feb 06, 2009

I hated my experience with Empire Today. They were very pushy and expensive. They made it known that they could not install the carpet in my room until it was 65 degrees yet the installation man who came out said he would do it anyway discrediting the sales man and ripping the carpet instead of stretching it. They call me daily and harass me. When I said I wanted to cancel a future order I was yelled at being told that I was making a huge mistake. The only mistake I made was calling them in the first place.

• Oa
    oakma78 Feb 10, 2009

Hey, I've read all what everyone said on this board. Empire today like every other big companies will always have complaints but the truth about the whole thing is that Empire today has done a whole lot more good than what is being portrayed here. I did buy carpet from Empire today and to be very fair, they did exceed my expectations.

I'm sorry for those who are aggreived by whatever their situation with Empire today is but the company has improved alot and treated their clients with professionalism and respect. Competitors will wine but they are way worse than Empire. If Empire is that bad, I don't think that the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU will rate them as the top flooring company in the nation. For customers who are dissatisfied, channel your complaints to their customer care and I think you'll be taken care of. For those who haven't used Empire but simply use this medium for their information gathering, you also need to read the good reviews by millions of customers who are satisfied with empire which I am one of them.

• Et
    ETSTR Feb 22, 2009

Trust me, I work for the company and not only do I see how shady they are to their customers, but they treat their employees even worse! You wouldn't believe how little the pay and how much they overcharge!

Anonymous Feb 24, 2009

Thank you everyone for the comments/complaints! I have an appointment with Empire Today later this afternoon and I was so excited about them because of their commercial and the next day installation! but after reading these complaints, I am going to cancel my appointment and go to a local carpet store. THANK YOU EVERYONE for making my decision a lot easier!

• Un
    Unhappy in San Jose Feb 26, 2009

I had laminate and carpet installed last year by Empire and I can tell you DO NOT USE EMPIRE! The carpet they installed is on of the cheapest carpet made, large loop Berber 100% Olefin. They charged the price of high quality nylon. The carpet didn't last two months. The carpet unraveled when I vacuumed it. Empire's response, don't vacuum too often. When it unraveled at the edges, Empire responded, just cut the loose ends off. Had I done what they said, my carpet would have bald spots where the carpet should be. To make a long story short, they eventually replaced my carpet, but charged an additional $500. I felt I had not recourse because I was either stuck paying $2300 for garbage or $2800 for reasonable. I know they were obligated to replace it because of the special rules for credit card purchases. I didn’t know about it then, so they swindled me one more time. Let’s educate ourselves!

The laminate they installed is chipping and scratching. They have decided the cause “site related.” This means they are blaming us. Are they kidding? The laminate was supposed out last us! My neighbors had Armstrong Grand Illusions installed one month after us. They used S&G, they paid half the price and their floor not only looks BEAUTIFUL, it endures heavy traffic with any issue. My neighbor has the same model home and they installed their laminate in high areas while mine is installed in a low traffic area. My laminate is damaged; we have chips that have destroyed the wear layer and now see plywood. We also have scratches throughout the floor. Empire suggests we replace the planks. If I do, I would be replacing about 15 planks. I’m guessing I’ll have to do that as regular maintenance or I could choose not to walk or use floor so I won’t scratch or damage it.

My story spans one year, and I'm still dealing with the poor quality product and service. Empire will definitely overcharge you for the cheapest lowest quality product. They can't even get their hands on quality product so don’t ever expect high quality results.

• Da
    David Johnson Mar 16, 2009

I too have been ripped off by Empire Today. I had a sales rep come into my house talk to my kids, play with my dog the whole bit. He convinced me that an engineered hardwood is better than a real hardwood. I argued that at least a real hardwood can be refinished unlike the engineered hardwood. Well to make a long story short, the product that he sold me on (for $5, 700.00) was absolutely crap, after a month the floor was completely scratched up. When we called on the warranty the installer came back and was honest enough to say that he would never have installed this floor in a house with kids and a dog and guess what???????????????? The warranty doesn't cover scratches made from the dog! So why the _ _ _ _ did they recommend this floor?????
    PLEASE DON'T EVER USE THIS COMPANY THEY ARE THEIVES AND WILL SAY ANYTHING TO MAKE A SALE AND WILL NOT STAND BEHIND ANYTHING THAT THEY SAY!!!

• Ra
    Rabiya lone Jun 01, 2009

I just wanted to thank you all. I just called them to book an appointment and was told to do it online. then I had some questions, so I called them back, the second lady who picked up sounded really exhausted to attend my call. So as a curiosity I googled "does empire today pick up your old carpet?" because she kept saying the sales rep will answer your question. so after googling you complaints board was on the top. after reading all this especially the empire today employee's statements, I thank you, for saving me my money.

Jamie H Jun 03, 2009

Thank you for this post! I had an appointment scheduled, but after reading this, I canceled it. I am very sorry you all hod so many problems with Empire Today. I am also very appreciative that some previous employees of Empire Today commented and told us their side. Thank you all so much!

• La
    la greer Jun 15, 2009

All I can say is I wish I would have went with Luna or seen this post first. I have had nothing but problems with Empire Today! I don't know what has happened since the Older Gentlemen has left the company but this company sucks! We didn't have enough carpeting to finish the job. The brought us the carpets for not one room but two...since one of the carpets were close to the color we chose we just kept it and low and behold it was still not enough material.
    They were suppose to be coming by early told me they were 7 mins away and did not arrive until 2 and half hours laters.
    I would not ever use Empire or recommend to anyone!
    I could go but I'm just so frustrated and they are still in my house as I write this comment!

Bottom Line Don't Use Empire Today!

• Kp
    kpierson Jul 09, 2009

I had a bad experience with Empire also. I ordered solid oak Mirage flooring in my living room and dining room. I specified I needed 2 1/4 inch width, to match what I have in the foyer. They gave me a decent price, and we signed a contract. My flooring was supposed to be installed on a Monday. On Sunday, my husband and I moved our piano into the kitchen, since Empire does not move pianos. I emptied two china cabinets, and moved every lamp, plant, knickknack and picture out of the two rooms. Instead of getting my floors on Monday, the salesman called me and said he had a concern about the base of our stairs, and an installer would have to look at it before they could do the job, and that he would come that day. Tuesday comes around and, so far, nobody came. Wednesday, the installer came late in the day and said the stairs were no problem. Thursday, the installers arrived with the flooring. I paid the cost in full (something I am not comfortable doing) and they got started. They removed my living room carpet and laid down a few planks. It became obvious very soon that the planks were not the same width as what was in the foyer. They had brought 2 1/2 inch planks. I called Empire. I talked to Dennis, who told me that the flooring is not available in that size, and that the sample mistakenly indicated that it was. (And our contract specified that I would get it.) He told me he had a floor that was "a ringer" that was available in that size called Achievia. He said, if the Mirage is a cadillac, the Achievia is a Lexus. He said he would send the salesman out with a sample, and adjust the price accordingly. The salesman came out with the sample (one plank) and reiterated that, the manufacturer of the Mirage floor had been called, and "They don't make it in that size." I told him that one of the reasons I was comfortable ordering with Empire was that I had researched the Mirage floors and I knew they were a good product. I couldn't find a thing about Achievia. He assured me it would look just as nice, and it had a 25 year warranty. I stupidly agreed to have that product installed. Friday, the installers arrive with Mohawk flooring (What is Achievia?) They brought in some planks and placed them together. They told me that this product is not as nice as the Mirage, and that, when installed, you would be able to see some space between some of the planks. They wanted to make sure I knew it wasn't as nice before they installed it. I called customer service again. I told them about the discrepency in the name of the product. They assured me it was the same thing. (Then why two names?) At this point, I should have cancelled the whole job, but I have to plead temporary insanity, due to having a piano in my kitchen, the contents of two china cabinets, and several lamps, plants, knickknacks, pictures, etc. strewn around my house for the better part of a week, and no floor in my living room, ( the installers having removed it before we discovered the mistake.) Plus, it was the beginning of a holiday weekend, and I was expecting guests. (My floor was supposed to be in the prior Monday.) Besides, I had already paid for it. I thought, what choice do I have? They don't make the other one in the size I want. I foolishly let it be installed, naively thinking I was being told the truth. Big mistake. The installers were very professional and I'm sure the floors look as good as they can. However, there is space between the planks, which is more noticeable than I expected, and the floor is, overall way darker than I expected. This floor isn't a Lexus, it's more of a Ford. Oh well, I thought, too late, what can I do? Then, on a whim, I called Mirage in Canada and found out that, lo and behold, they DO make the natural solid oak in 2 1/4 inch width. What!!! Why did the company lie to me? What's more I called 10 different suppliers around this area, and they all told me, yes you can get that floor in that size. No problem. When I called customer service to ask why I wasn't dealt with fairly, they assured me that, they hadn't said it wasn't made in that size. Empire just can't get it in that size. (Why not? Everyone else can.) What's more, that is not true. I was told and I quote, "We called the manufactured. They don't make it in that size." Now, I'm stuck with a floor that is less than what I wanted, and I feel like I was taken advantage of. Empire tells you they are all about customer service. Don't believe it. They should have been honest with me from the start. I am extremely disappointed. I have four bedrooms and three bathrooms which will all need new flooring in the next few years. I will NOT call Empire again.

• Ha
    half satisfied Jul 23, 2009

I recently had laminate floors put down and carpeting on my stairs and foyer. I was happy with the job they did until I realized they servered my phone line while installing the carpeting on the stairway. I called customer service and spoke to Helen Brown, She said empire would send me a check for $100 dollars to cover the cost of having the phone line repaired. The phone company repair job will cost approx. $350 to $400 to do the rewiring. Empires contract says its not responsible for damages they do to wires, moldings etc.They are licensed and bonded and should pay the full cost for the damage THEY caused. As for the nice job they did only time will tell.The public should be made aware of Empires policies before having them do any work in their home.

• Gr
    gracies mom Aug 12, 2009

This is a story of bad communication.
    On Aug 2nd, I met with the sales guy who was very professional. He came to my home, did the measure, had plenty of samples and took down my order and my payment. He had to have two credit card slips for this job and he only had one, but he came to my work a couple days later and I signed the slip then. I had to have a wood install and then a carpet runner installed over the wood.
    On Aug 3rd I was told that my flooring was out of stock and should be in in a week.
    On August 5th the carpet installers called and said they'd be there in 15 mins to do the install. Empire did not communicate with the installers about the delay on the wood installation.
    On August 10th, I called my sales guy to find out if my product was in and he told me it was in and they could install it Saturday. I told him no, not Saturday, that I wanted it done during the week.
    On that same evening, August 10th, Empire called me to confirm my Saturday installation and I told them, no, talk to your sales guy. We discussed getting this done during the week. I was put on hold and they did reschedule.
    On August 11th, the wood installers arrived and did a very nice job on my stairs, but they didn't have enough product to finish. They said they would call Empire to tell them they had to come back the following day to finish and to delay the carpet installers by a few hours. That didn't happen.
    On August 12th, at 7am, I got a call from the carpet installers that they would be there in 15 minutes. I told them, no, call Empire. The wood stairs are not yet finished.
    Later that day the carpet installers did arrive (the wood steps were finished beautifully) and they had carpet for the ENTIRE STEP(S)!!! They had no runner. They said they had full steps on their order to carpet. I told them, NO...I paid for a bound berber carpet runner to be installed. They left. I called Empire. My sales guy then called me back.
    He said that Empire does not sell bound berber carpet stair runners (augh!) and they would refund me the money and tell the carpet installers the job was off.
    Then I had to call Empire and talk to cancellations and get my money back.
    Now, everyone I dealt with at Empire was very nice, but this lack of communication between the sales guy, the headquarters and the installers caused me a lot of stress and time.
    I will not hire Empire again for any flooring projects in my house.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices