Menu
Empire Today company logo
reviews & complaints

reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

729 complaints
593 resolved 136 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by Empire Today customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Empire Today. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
J
8:23 pm EST

Empire Today - Worn carpet

I purchased 8000 dollars worth of carpet 7 months ago. The product I bought has a warranty of 30 years. Best for pets and kids. Upgraded my padding to help with pet accidents. In that amount of time, my carpet is very worn and holes in some spots. Looks extremely dirty. Even thou I had it cleaned 2 months ago. Coming up in spots. The carpet pile never stands up. I vacuum daily! With 2 different vacuums! The stairs were not stretched correctly. You can see marks from then using the tools to install the carpet. We called and complained 2 months ago. That person never showed. Had to call again and reschedule. We did but they called us and said it was a manufactured problem. We had to wait an additional 2 weeks for them to make contact with them. Empire told us to be ready because they were going to replace our carpet. Great! They get here and say they have to call manufacture and file a complaint. What! That's why we waited. My husband took time off work and moved everything to have nothing done. Making contact is trouble all on its own. You call and leave a message and they might return your call. The salesperson is another issue. Man is he good! Ha! Got my money and never looked back! I went with empire because of warranty and the name. Who doesn't know empire! I started off so excited. Only to be disappointed. I want my old carpet back! I feel cheated, ignored and used! I am left 8000 dollars in debt, with horrible carpet and no resolution.

Desired outcome: New carpet

10:35 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We choose Empire over another local installer because the sales agent was great! Little did we know she's the only helpful employee. We ordered our carpet the middle of Oct to have installed before thanksgiving. Sales agent told us 11/11 for installation. When 11/11 came, no one showed up. We moved all our furniture and a piano to get ready. Called the...

4:43 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Talked to the local Office Manager and said she would inform someone to call me, I took a picture of my problem and e-mailed it to [protected]@empire today. This is my second time I have used this company but not again.

M
3:39 pm EST

Empire Today - LVT

LVT was installed in December of 2019. Installers had no idea of how to install over concrete. Used a product that was not meant for cement leveling. The product they used created a tremendous amount of dust. The dust settled on the LVT and they used Denatured Alcohol to clean the floor the fumes were awful. After months of trying to clean the haze off of the floor they sent out another installer he said the floor had to be replaced saying it was a manufacturing defect. In October of 2020 they replaced the floor, when they pulled up the LVT the product that was used to level the cement floor crumbled causing so much dust that had to open all the windows and doors to try to see to level the cement floor and install the LVT. Needless to say the same thing happened to the floor when they tried to wash the floor to clean the haze it would not come clean. An install manager came out to look at the floors and said they had to be replaced. However the manufacturer stated it was not a manufacturer's defect. Empire has not returned any of my calls.

Desired outcome: I want my money back

11:05 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We purchased carpet from Empire to be installed in three areas in our home. An average sized bedroom, a small office and a walk in closet. We removed all the furniture from each area including all the built-in shelving in the closet. They installed the carpet and before long, the carpet pulled away from the walls causing huge raised areas throughout. I...

3:46 pm EST

Empire Today - general

This was the worst experience ever I set up an appointment to get a simple floor and carpet installation in my home and it turned to pure "hell". I paid the full amount with my credit card and needed a refund because of an emergency. Never got my refund and every time I call it get a reference number, but no follow up. Please, can I get my money ! It's been over a month and I've called every other day and nothing! this is crazy!

Desired outcome: my money back

T
9:36 am EST

Empire Today - wood floor and trim

They are a total rip off, overpriced and poor workmanship, crews can't speak English? Messed up two complete floor and ruined the moldings twice, plus hit the walls, which caused another repair I had to pay for. They will not answer calls and the salesman disappeared. Their work standards are a joke and very unprofessional. I had to pay another guy to come and fix everything they messed up. This is not right and I demand a $800 refund for what I had to spend in repairs.

1 comment
Dec 19, 2020 10:54 am EST

reference Customer Account # 1-21YIAAT

10:13 am EST

Empire Today - Carpet installation and Nate and switch

The carpet we ordered and the carpet they brought to install looked very different. We called the service rep, she did not return our call for 13 hours. The carpet was installed since the installers insured us it was correct. Since then it has been a nightmare! The carpet is literally unraveling. We pick up pieces every day. It was not kicked in on the steps, only cut to fit. We had the installer come back out because the tack strips we cooking up and poking our feet. He took pics. We were in contact with Sheryl Allen (csr). I sent many many emails without her responding . I finally called a supervisor. His name was Orlando. He couldn't care less. We finally received an email from Sheryl stating that " per the manufacturer, the stairs were not included in the warranty". The carpet is less than 3 months old, yet it looks like it is 15 years old. I so disappointed in this company, they have yet to even attempt and apology!

Update by Charlie Reddick
Dec 14, 2020 1:44 pm EST

This is a follow up to my last complaint:
We have major issues with the carpet upstairs...the seams are showing, the carpet is literally coming apart before our eyes. We called and called empire to come and fix it. They didn't reply for more than a week. I called and emailed every day, twice a day. They finally sent the original installer back out. The tack strips were coming up: resolution...beat our stairs to death with a hammer, that's what the guy did that you guys sent out here to fix it!
There is a spot in the master where it feels like something is under the carpet: resolution...beat the carpet with a hammer. The seems are not only showing, but they are shredding and coming up in strips. Resolution: take pictures
Two weeks later, we received an email stating the manufacturer wanted more information. Playing and simple..THE CARPET NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. This is what we deserve. The carpet is supposed to be limited 15 year carpet. It isn't even 3 months old and needs to be replaced.

K
2:13 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Tiles are creme color and multiple tile have turned yellow. I've contacted the company and was told no warranty. At install was told would last forever. Company does not stand behind that claim

View 0 more photos
B
2:40 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The Nightmare doing business with Empire Today. Let's get started. 10-24-20 appt. with sales lady Michelle Wiersbicki to install wood flooring. The flooring I wanted wasn't available but she made a call and was able to get it. She measured the 2 rooms and we needed 19 boxes. She asked about the tile, I said I will be removing it. Wrote a deposit check and...

5:53 pm EST

Empire Today - Quality

We had Empire today install carpet that was so full of chemicals, we had to pull it out in less than 3 weeks. Then they put in Red oak, to which I was allergic! We went with them because of their competitive prices. Big mistake! I had to live in a hotel for most of a year due to the above problems. We lost over $55, 000 and we are low income retirees!

Resist the temptation of buying from this low quality product company!

A
4:10 am EST

Empire Today - Warranty work

May 2020, I paid to have hardwood flooring installed on my stairs and the walk way upstairs. In september, the wood applied onto my stairs, started to come apart, so I called for it to be repaired. Someone came out to inspect, and stated that the parts was gonna take awhile to come in. 2 months later, I called to see what's going on with getting the repair completed. I was informed that if I want to have the work completed, that i'll need to pay an addition $318! I was informed that the issues with our stairs is not an installation error but the customer error. Very disappointed with empire, I will never uses them again, or even referr anyone to them! I'm still upset about the lack of communication, lack of warranty services, for covered work. I wish I never used them

1:59 pm EST

Empire Today - LVP

We had LVP installed about 6 months ago. The seams started rolling and got a bubble in one spot. Our house is a concrete slab so it should have a vapor barrier under the floor to protect from moisture. They had the installer come pull the flooring out and now saying carpet is the only thing that can be installed which would be my whole house. If they install the LVP it's going to void the warranty. They are saying I need to have a contractor come out to seal the floor so it doesn't void the warranty. The salesman said there would be a vapor barrier installed under the floor because that was one of my questions at time of sale. Did not happen. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

K
1:00 pm EST

Empire Today - Empire cancelled my contract and will not refund the deposit

I met with the sales rep in my home in Aug of 2019. I explained that I could not have the floors done until the spring of 2020 due to the installation of a new roof in Dec and also new sliding doors in Jan 2020. The sales rep said this would not be an issue so I paid 3k on a deposit for new flooring.

I received a call from Empire Flooring in April 2020 stating they had canceled my contract. It has taken me 4 months to get a customer service rep to respond to my inquiry about why Empire canceled the contract. I am still waiting for the manager from the local office to respond to me to find out why my money wasn't refunded. Please help.

V
7:22 pm EDT

Empire Today - Hardwood Flooring

Very Frustrated and Disappointed!

My husband and I met with Sales Representative for a consultation in mid July 2020, for wood flooring for my entire upper level, stairs and foyer, and, LVT flooring for three bathrooms. Got approved and installation was scheduled for the next day. The kitchen flooring is not leveled with the other flooring, about 1/4 inch higher, and where the refrigerator is, the wood does not meet up to the kitchen cabinet. In the master bedroom, there is a portion of the flooring where you can still see the subflooring because the wood is not appropriately connected to the other wood flooring, as well as pieces of the shoe molding were left just square without adding the rounding pieces to make it complete. I reported my concerns to Empire, along with work to replace a few baseboards/shoe molding that were damaged when I got some doors replaced, which I was willing to pay for those repairs. I spoke with my assigned representative, who scheduled for someone to come out to access what needed to be done. The foreman, who did the initial install came and took pictures of the repairs that I was going to pay for, as well as, the concerns that I had with the initial installation (space gapping with the flooring in the bedroom and the kitchen not being leveled with the other flooring) throughout the upper level. The representative contacted a few days later and I was quoted $544 to fix the repairs that were damaged, not fault of theirs. I received an install date and when the installers came, they did not have all the material to fix all the repairs that I agreed to pay for. I mentioned to them my concerns about how my kitchen flooring was not leveled and they agreed, took pictures, called their supervisor, and, said that they'd get back to me. For the second time, I received another install date, and, again, they only came to do the repairs that I agreed to pay for, and, did not have all the material to complete the job. I spoke with the representative and reported the same issues. For a third time, the cycle repeated itself with the same result, took pictures and agreed that the flooring was not done properly. I informed the representative of my disappointment and how dissatisfied with the outcome of nothing being done to rectify the issues with my flooring. After weeks of going back and forth, I requested that a Supervisor come to see the work that was done, and, to see if my issues/concerns and fixed to my satisfaction, took pictures and nothing was done. I mentioned that we're paying almost $15, 000 for the flooring, and, that we are not satisfied customers of the work that has been performed. She indicated that she did not see where an inspection was completed on file after the flooring was installed, and, I agreed, so she scheduled an inspection. When the contractor came out to access our concerns, we were informed that the kitchen flooring was not leveled because pieces of our subfloors were damaged, which was not brought to our attention, on the day of the install. I said to the contractor, both me and my husband were here doing the installation, and, why was it not brought to our attention? We are not the professionals, so how are we to know! He stated that they would have had to take up our cabinets in order to fix the problem, which I disagreed to. After that, I was contacted by my assigned representative, who informed me that the contractor said that there was nothing that they could do to rectify the problem, and, that the contractor for Empire said that they were willing to take off $200, and, I told her that that was unacceptable, and, for the amount of money that we're paying for the floors. It seems as though they are finding ways to make excuses as to why they don't want to resolve their mistakes. For the fifth time, on October 22, 2020, two more installers came and had only two pieces of baseboards to repair (for $544.00) and I said absolutely not. They again took pictures of all the problem areas, agreed that the flooring was not leveled, called their Supervisor, to report all the issues, and, he asked if could speak with me, which, I did, and, he assured me that they would resolve all of my issues/concerns. I have attempted to reach out to the supervisor, twice, and, left messages, and, has yet to receive a call back. I have also sent the representative two emails, in which she provided would be the best way to contact her, but, has yet to hear back from her, as well.

I am looking forward to a resolution to address my concerns/issues with the hardwood flooring, or, a full refund.

Sincerely,

Valerie Blalock

D
8:17 am EDT

Empire Today - Carpet installation

The installer showed up late with a carpet sample that was not of the quality my wife and I had chosen. We decided to cancel and wait because it was going to cost us at least a few thousand more for a different type of carpet. We were told by multiple service reps that because we didn't cancel within the 3 days, something the sales rep failed to mention, that we would not be getting out 400 dollar deposit back. Who cancels within 3 days? We waited 2 weeks for the install and were presented with an inferior product. Of course there wouldn't be any issues within 3 days.

This has to be the shadiest and most despicable business practice I have ever experienced. Empire pulls this during a pandemic no less, when money is very hard to come by for most people. Who thinks they are going to get ripped off by a carpet contract? Next time I'll definitely read the fine print and I hope everyone stays far away from Empire today.

7:10 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

First I would like Will Jameson, senior Vice President call center, email address. Empire carpet went from the best to the worst, 1.Sales person is not on the same page with installers 2. Fail to tell the customer to qualify for lifetime guarantee there may be extra work needed on the foundation or subfloor in order to cover the warranty

B
9:32 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Signed a Contract with Empire Today (sale rep Joe Kline) a month ago. We were told all of the laminates and tile products we selected were in stock, installation would take place 3/4 days (this was a Thursday and weekend approaching) so the next Tuesday's. Also our installation would only take 2/3 days if that long because two crews would be working at the...

View 0 more photos
V
9:56 pm EDT

Empire Today - Luna carpet installation

I have hardwood and carpet installed in February 2020, spent over $5000. The carpet on the stair along the wall was not cut correctly. The wood stairs are visible. I have called customer service numerous times (since May 2020). Here we are in September. I keep being told the local office has to call me to resolve the issues. When I call to follow up, I keep being told the ticket is assigned to someone, and I have to wait for a call. I have not recieved a phone call. Once they get your money, good luck getting a reponse or the issue resolved if something goes wrong. The only avenue you have is the 800 customer service number.

D
2:39 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I spent quite a bit of money with Empire today to install a rug in my large living room and hallway and laminate floors in my bar, dining room and entry way. The salesperson assured me i was getting a high quality product that had a 30 year warranty. After specifically addressing matting and buckling, because this was a concern after seeing bad rugs. He...

Empire Today contacts