Edgars Fashion / Edcon Logo

Edgars Fashion / Edcon

Having problems with Edgars Fashion / Edcon?

+27 86 011 2442 (South Africa)
+27 11 891 8000 (International)
Edgardale, Press Avenue, Crown Mines
Fri8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sat8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sun9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

handed over despite receiving payment

Due to some unforseen and unexpected medical expenses I fell behind on my account. I made an arrangement to settle the arrears by way of duplicate payments for the next three months, starting with the first payment due on the 25th September. I made this payment as promised only to find a letter from Edgars' collection company in the post today, indicating that I 'failed' to make payment and that I have been listed on itc. I did not 'fail' to make payment, I did pay and will continue to do so until the account is fully paid up and I can close my account.

To date I have only received one letter of demand which I acted on, and I hope that for your sake I don't now have a default listing on itc which will stay on my record for the next two years.

Edgars, as you expect me to keep to the agreement and pay when due, I also expect you to do the right thing (if that is at all possible) and refrain from placing default listing or judgement on my credit record unless it is as a last resort for you to get your money.

Thanks to the NCR I am fully aware of my rights as a consumer.

bad planning causes poor service

I went to Edgars Cape Gate on Wednesday, 30th September at 09h10 to return a jacket. There were two ladies ahead of me in the queue at Customer Services. Although there are six counters, there was only one cashier – this cashier was still in training. After standing and listening to complaints from clients behind me, I was attended to after approximately 40 minutes. This is unacceptable. It was difficult to understand the cashier, visa versa. When I left, there were six clients in the queue complaining about the slow service. One cashier only. . .

I am sorely disappointed with boardmans

I have lodged a complaint at Boardmans Canal Walk for a Krupps kettle that is basically disintegrating after only 18 months. I am struggling to get the manager of Boardmans in Canal Walk to help me, he just doesnt return calls, doesnt answer his phone. When I tried to solve this via the Edcon head office in Jhb, I get no response either. I have sent the same email 4 times to Moneng Nyoni. At first I got a reply saying my query was being dealt with: Then when nothing happened after 9 days, I emailed again. Moneng Nyoni then asked me for contact details, which were actually included in each email. I sent them again. After another 8 days I STILL hadnt heard anything, and sent another email with my reference number etc.

I STILL havent heard anything. No-one has contacted me in any form, nor does Moneng Nyoni even answer my emails now and all this has happened even before I get to the problem of an apparently quality kettle that is disintegrating infront of my eyes. As soon as it was apparent that it was out of guarantee, Boardmans is not interested. In my opinion, its a faulty product. No-one want to deal with it and I am sorely disappointed with Boardmans.

• Ki
    Kilivan Jul 13, 2016

At 09h00 today, Boardmans Greenstone Mall refused to open their doors for me, customer as they were having a staff meeting. I was in a hurry. At 09h05 I asked their security guard through the doors, why they were not opening. She said they were in a meeting. At 09h10 I knocked on the door and asked her to call the manager. She reluctantly opened up and when I arrived at the till point I WAS IGNORED BY ALL THE STAFF even the manager at the till although I apologised for interrupting their meeting. When I took out my purse to pay no-one still bothered to say good morning - they were clearly irritated that I had insisted upon entry AFTER OPENING TIME and DISPLAYED THEIR DISLIKE FOR THE CUSTOMER. Its shocking that SA has recently plunged into a distinct culture of daily bad attitude and bad service. There will probably be bad financial results too as three customers who witnessed this also said they would not go back. Boardmans you really need to get to grips with the fact that customers keep you in business. Edcon take shocking treatment of customers to task at all of your group stores. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE to treat customers like this. I would like an apology.

• Ke
    Kendale Aug 22, 2016

We were given a gift of crystal glassware (the Hotel Collection) stocked at Boardmans. We wanted to build up the set into 12 glasses of each type and have visited various stores. We find that the glassware has been marked up from its original price of between R49 - R99 per glass to R149 to R179 per glass. In an insult to their customers intelligence Boardmans have the cheek to just place a new sticker over the old one. This is a rip off of note. Edcon are making huge profits on old stock and don't even have the decency to hide their greed by removing old labels. When I questioned a sales person they just shrugged their shoulders with a take it or leave it attitude. We know what the glasses orginally cost as a few glasses in the boxes had labels on them when we received the gift. I may only be 1 customer but I will tell everyone I know about this dishonest practise and will encourage them to refrain from shopping at Edcon owned stores. I was DISGUSTED - this type of practise should be illegal...

triple charges for account protection plan

I phoned edgars call centre today why do I get charged tripple for account protection plan, on the 4 and 9 twice, phoning call centre they can't assist.

I battled for 10 months getting my statement out of edgars, when I finally got it I notice that I get charged tripple every month for account protection plan, this is illegal as you are only supposed to be charged ones.

• Ep
    E. PONI Jan 15, 2011

MY ACOOUNT IS: 7006160010001470134
    I AM PAYING THE INSURANCE AT EDGARS FOR MAINTANANCE. I MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR MY REFRIGERATOR, IT NEEDS TO FIXED AND I DID NOT GETANY HELP FROM YOU. IN EAST LONDON THEY WANT A MASTER CARE FROM YOU.
    CONCERNED
    E. PONI

harassment of non customers

I received a sms on my cell number this morning, informing me that my edgards account balance = r 4361, and that my installment = r 493. If I pay by 1 oct 2009 I will be intered into a r 15000.00 draw. The problem is I don't even have a edgars account!!! After phoning the call centre, I was informed by koleka that she checked and confirmed that I do not have an account, and the reason for receiving this sms was because edgars is trying to recruit more customers!! If the people at edgards have too much time on their hands, I am sure they can find something of value to do with this time, than to harrass non-customers!!! This is a gross invasion of my privacy, and to be honest I do not have the time for this kind of s*t - please sort yourselves out, and leave me in peace!!!

my wife and I were extremely embarrassed and humiliated by edgars

Went to Edgards Sandton on Sat evening to buy some underwear for my wife. We were helped by a very nice lady on Playtex. Once we had done there we asked where we could get tights. She said we would find those downstairs. Took the escalators down on lnafing there is a cashier counter on the left the were three ladies there one cashing up. We asked where we could find the tights. The response we got from Nthabiseng was that she knows there is nothing on that floor we have to go back to second floor. Dinah who was sitting said she is sure the tights are on the second floor. She (Dinah) while sitting on dustbin behind the counter instructed us to go further into the floor and have look, no help offered. On second isle of clothing we found the tights we were looking for. I turn around to point out to her where the tights were. She then raised her voice at me saying if we found the tights what else were we looking for ( basicallly why bother us if you found what you're looking for). then I said to her that is not the manner she must use to speak to a customer. She replied by saying well you found what you 're looking for. My wife and I were extremely embarrased and humiliated by Edgars.

they are giving your credit-control policies a very bad name

I had an Edgars account in 2000. After receiving a bill for goods I did not purchase, I queried the bill, submitted the affidavit stating I did not purchase the goods and considered the matter closed.

I have just received a call from an unknown call centre agent who would not give me his name, telling me I now owe more than 3 times what the original disputed amount was! I told him to apply the in duplum rule, that the debt has prescribed and that the matter was closed. He demanded my ID number and when I refused to confirm it, he said he would list me on ITC as a bad payer.

I don't know who this call centre is that you have handed over alleged bad debt to, Edgars, but it's shocking. I wonder how many non-attorneys have been intimidated by this bunch but they really need to learn some manners. They are giving your credit-control policies a very bad name.

gave me wrong bank details

In Feb. 2009 my personal loan did not went of my bank. When I phoned them and ask for their bankdetails, they gave me their details. I have proof of the payment I was trying to make but the bankdetails is incorrect. After phonecalls for the correct bankdetails, and nobody that is comeing back to me and receiving no documents from them, they blacklisted me and send my stuff to a lawyer. I have the money and want to pay them but they don't help me. The lawyer has the same problem of nobody that is comeing back to them with my isue. What mus I do. I need help to correct the problem. I think it is unfair of them after all my efforts and calls!!

store closing before appointed time

As I was in the market for a new pair of hiking shoes, I decided to visit Edgars Active in Eastgate. As I work in Midrand, I chose Eastgate because I was under the impression that their 'normal' closing time is 19h00 on a weekday evening. Upon my arrival at the entrance at around 18h40 however, the roll-up door started closing!
On knocking on the roll-up door, one of the shop assistants came forward, and I (and another customer waiting at the entrance) asked him what time the branch is closing. He didn't want to tell us (in the process trying to look at MY watch!), insisting on calling the manageress. Then the manageress arrived, telling me that their systems are 'offline' (obviously in a hurry to knock off early!).

I insisted on entering the store, telling her that I just wanted to try on some shoes. I decided on a pair that I wanted to take, and then, when I wanted to pay for the shoes, their systems 'miraculously' turned 'online' again! Because of the bad attitude that I have experienced at this store, I am considering to close my Edgars account, and I believe that disciplinary action should be taken against the shop assistant and manageress in question.

stay far away from them

I called the Head Office this morning and spoke to Vuyokazi. I sked her if it's possible to have my payment plan changed to 12months to bring down my instalment? She advised me that it cannot be done as my account has to be six months old? I think that this is pathetic as I do work in accounts as well and we do that for our Customers? Why is it always so difficult to get things done with you guys? When I opened the account I enquired if I could change my payment plans at any time & they advised me that it is possible, so what is the problem now? I need some clarity on this by the close of business today, if not then I will be going to the media and the NCR.

they are very fast when it comes to accusing people

When Edgars blacklisted me this year I wanted to know what the outstanding invoices were since I was sure...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices