Dunkin Donutsdenied use of restroom

C

I arrived at said dunkin donuts at around 7:57. My sister and I went in to order coffee. Two other patrons were in the store waiting. One girls was behind counter, one on the floor sweeping. I decided to use the rest room while waiting to order. It was then I was told by the girl sweeping that someone was in the restroom and that when she exited it would not be available for use as they close it at 8:00. at first I didn't process the whole time issue. I asked to speak to a manager and inquire as to why at just 8:00 I as iwas n the store and ordering but now the bathroom was closed. The manager and franchisee came out . I proceeded to explain what I was told and also explained why I was inthe store. My son, a freshman at college in Manchester was taken to the hospital the night before. I drove up from New York early monday to be with him. He was released from the hospital and resting comfortably in h is dorm. I was now getting back on the road for a 5 hour trip home and wanted a cup of coffee and to use the restroom. He denied my request because he "has his reasons for closing the bathroom at 8:00." So at 8:01 I was back in my car, without cofee or using the restroom, looking for a starbucks!! What a way to treat a customer.

• Up
    upsidedowncake May 17, 2010

I had a similar experience in lower Manhattan in february. The employee told me "no use of bathroom for customers" even though i explained I would buy something to use it (as I had done earlier that day at a Quiznos). I proceeded to bark at the idiot behind the counter, explaining that NYS law requires usable bathrooms in any venue selling food and drinks. They do have the right to refuse the bathroom to non-customers, but come on. They sell COFFEE and don't let you use their bathroom. Rest assured, if finding a bathroom wasn't top priority at the time, i would have made the employee cry.
    I also have no idea if that is a management rule or not, and would like to know. What i do know is i have never had a problem being able to use the (always clean, spacious and nicely decorated) bathroom at my local independant coffee house. Which just makes me hate big corporations even more.