Dollar Treestore policy which is wrong

H Review updated:

I visited this store at belmont, ca
My cashier scanned the item twice by mistake. I noticed it when I was checking my receipt before I left the store and went back to her right away. I asked her to get my money back. Seems like nothing difficult to do, but she said "just pick one item from the store to exchange because we don't refund. " I told her I did not need anything else from the store any more so just return my money back. She kept saying she cannot refund any money. I felt it was wasting my time talking to her so I asked for a manager.
I explained the manager what happened and asked her I just want my money back.
The manager said the same thing as the cashier that it is a store policy not to refund cash. I told her it is wrong and does not make sense since it's not really a refund nor exchange. But she insisted about no cash refund policy. At this point I felt absurd and left the store. What they are saying doesn't make sense! They took "no cash refund" too literally! It may be only a dollar, but I totally do not understand at all!!

• Mi
    Mike F. Jan 28, 2011

I work for these people. How do you think I feel having to tell good people such as yourself, they can't have their money back.

• Ef
    efingsimple Feb 05, 2011

Yeah, no kidding. Glad it doesn't happen too often on my end. However, most people are understanding of this and just go ahead and pick something off the shelf from the same department. It's not a big deal; what's not to understand? Big fuss over nothing. They don't understand how the system works and how it affects us if we do have to give cash back. I know times are tough, but no one really raises a big stink over one dollar at my store. I mean, sheesh -- they allowed her to go get another item and she didn't want the offer. Her loss. But cashiers need to be careful about scanning items twice; and the moment they recognize that something was scanned twice hit VOID (even if hitting VOID counts against us; so be careful when you scan!).

Jane and John smith Jul 09, 2017

Omg are you for real. Why are you calling it a refund or a exchange ..Think folks think ...Repeat after me ...miss cashier you made a mistake and over charged me ..Miss cashier you will correct the mistake with your managers help and give me my money back .They can not force you to but at dollar tree more than you want ..duh.

• Su
    Suzanne Palmer Jan 13, 2018

I have to side with the customer here..
    Are you serious?? Ok just for fun let's entertain the thought..If a cashier makes the same mistake a couple times a day and the customer don't need anything else..Dollar Tree is making money off of their employees mistakes..
    If you are at check out you are obviously done shopping..Why would you then want to go pick another item just to cover the cashiers [censor]..Not your problem as a customer..And in all honesty..I would call the police. Because that is theft if they took your money and refuse to give it back..Dolllar or a million ..Its mine...And if they acted stupid about it I would want all my money back and leave all the stuff there.. I guarantee that if you were caught taking an item and not paying for it you would go to jail over 1 dollar..Maybe DT needs a good going over by it's owners who made this policy.. Dumbest crap I've ever heard of that if you are over charged then you must get another item in areas of getting your money back..Dumb..

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices