Dollar GeneralDress code

L Review updated:

It is ridiculous that I work for a company that forces you to beg for donations from customers that not only for obviously reasons have no money or would not be shopping there but are made to feel bad for not donating their money.

Plus, once again our dress code is changing and guess who has to pay for the change? Employees! DG will not even provide the uniforms but they sure will be nice enough to sell the shirts to us for regular price. Then of course we have to buy the pants to, which I can not afford the shirts little long the pants. If I had money I would not be working at Dollar General. I need regular clothes, food & so on, I can not imagine trying to find the money to buy for the new dress code so I can continue to work there. They expect us to make a living on what they pay plus they just cut the pay roll again so I only get 20 hours a week now!

• Bo
    Bobbie Waddell Mar 10, 2021

People need to understand that store clerks are people too we are human beings we get tired we get run down we get burnt out but we normally still have a smile on her face. I may also point out that during this Covid crisis, where most people got to go home and sit on their butts and collect unemployment checks we were still out here dealing with the public, in public 24/7. We have put up with rude, ignorant, belligerent people day in and day out. So if you have had a bad experience at a store because a store clerk is having a bit of an off day because they are probably so completely worn out or so overworked that they have not even got to see their families, do try to put yourself in their shoes or better yet be the bigger person and tell them to have a nice day. Instead of getting on here and complaining and whining because you're obviously one of the ones that are at home collecting the unemployment check right now. I hope you all have a wonderful day

• Ti
    Tiggerpets1956 Aug 31, 2016

I was at the store at Arlington and Thompson in Indianapolis and I found a book in the dollar section and it had a dollar sticker on it. I brought it to the cashier and she rung it up and it rang up 5.00. She then told me that clearly SOMEONE had put the dollar sticker on it and that it rang up 5.00 and it was clearly a five dollar book. I told her there were other books back there for a dollar. She blew me off and told me it was 5. I told her I didn't want it. I then said it was wrong of her to accuse me of putting a dollar sticker on it. I walked out without the book. I do not appreciate being called a liar and will not ever shop there again. I have plenty of money to buy what I need and I neither a liar or a thief. Please look into this matter because I am sure her crappy attitude will be put on other shoppers. Thanks

Marsanna Ross Aug 15, 2016

I bought 3 packs of Chicken Gravy and when I opened it, it was brown
    gravy. This is unacceptable. You need to check with your QA and take care of this problem.
    Sincerely,
    Marsanna Ross

• Ha
    Hannah Hope Jun 15, 2016

The Old Newport Dollar General Apparently Store #10330 - only offers the key to the MEN's room. Well, I'm not a man and certainly don't appreciate being told to grow a set on genitals and I can use the men's room. Because they don't offer the key up for the Women's room. To say the least know one, I know will ever shop at that store again...I plan on blog, blog, blog all about that shopping experience.

• Fi
    Firebird First Jun 13, 2016

Pay peanuts get monkeys what I'm told

• Ti
    tiffany boyd Jun 13, 2016

not only do i aways get stuck waiting on two employees there when they work, but today one of them was outside the front door sitting in the chairs they put on display for sale smoking within two feet of the front door, violating the illinois law of not smoking within 15 feet of a public entrance to a business, but i waited for over five minutes to get waited on for a $3 product. the cashier was in the back of the store not paying attention to her register or the customers. this is ridiculous, and has been happening for over six months, one would think they would fix the problem but instead seem to be ignoring it. great job dollar general we love having you in our town.

• Fe
    Fed up with corp Mar 24, 2015

Dollar General acts like the employees are thieves but in reality they are the thieves. For over a year now the7-14 min per day that I have worked over they did not pay me. Just imagine how many other people they have done that to. I now keep all clock in and out slips. They will get no more free work from me. This is probably how they got so rich. Who is the thief now Dollar General?

• Fe
    Fed up with corp Mar 24, 2015

Dollar General steals from employees

• Va
    Valerie Daly Mar 14, 2015

I was checking on the dresscode for D.G...was offered a job, fortunately I personally know the manager and he is a great guy..pulled strings to get me on because I am such an honest and hard worker..he is supposed to call with details tomorrow..after reading all this I am almost reluctant! I have four children and a dead end job...terrible!!! Surely it can't be worse..can it? I have lots of friends there and they all have nothing really bad to say about it..and I love all the employees there..definite plus! Please email me at [email protected] if things have changed since the last post for the better!! Thanks! Fingers crossed! 😊

• Ca
    cashier worker Jun 18, 2014

I am 21 years old. Customers often ask how old you have to be to work at DG which is 18 then they tell me i don't even look 18+.

Sheliam81 Feb 24, 2014

Went in to buy products as usual, and there was a minor child behind counter greeting and giving back change to customers. What is going on with this kind of things happening in the store. I have witnessed many unusual things in this store but this is just not right. What if the complaint for minors came in to branch? This would be devistating for Dollar General, and I love shopping here. With the great prices, I could not find a better place.

• Ro
    rose2013 Jan 03, 2014

I work at the Dollar General. It has already been a month. I haven't received my payment for 45 hours worked. They told me I am supposed to be paid 8.50 hour. I went to complain with store manager 6 times already. She told me she can't see my hour in the computer. I ask assistant manager and he told me she is the boss. I called corporate office and they told me you should talk to manager. I can't believe whatever hour I have worked I couldn't get paid. Also, they can't see in the computer. That's is the hardest thing you ever experience. Still I am trying to find out where to complain and get my wages. I am not planning to give up. I have proof with me that I have written hours I worked and clock in and clock out slips with me. I need to find where to complain.

• Mk
    MkStItCh Dec 22, 2013

Well, it sounds like Tom has met 1 unhappy person as well... Why would you make such a big deal out of some candy?

• Pc
    pcake333 Dec 21, 2013

Yesterday I was in this store and picking up some small things to give some of the staff of the nursing home where my uncle lives. There was a en cap with about 9 50% off signs. Some of the candy I purchased rang up for regular price. When the manager (Tom) came to the register he said these are not 50% off. When I told him they were setting right in the middle of all of the other candy that was 50%, he said this is not on sale I put this up there yesterday myself and I know. He told me he couldn't be held responsible for what went on in his store. The conversation on his part was rather angry. In the background the cashier is indicating for me to be quiet. OOPS did I think I was in America and still could say what I thought? As I was parking the shopping cart Tom went back where the candy was when I picked it up, put it in the same spot and tore down the sign. Do you think maybe he should have waited at least till I left the store? After wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, I left. This whole Christmas season I have met only one unfriendly person and that was Tom.

• Bl
    blame the parents here Nov 28, 2013

"How is the manager rude, lazy, and hate filled?"

My guess is the OP went to the store, asked them to bend the rules just for them. The manager said "NO" and that is what made them believe that the manager is rude, lazy and hate filled. That is the usual case on here.

• Ha
    hammy1900 Nov 28, 2013

I have been a regular and happy customer at 936 Gainesville Highway, Buford, GA 30518 for years.Unfortunately it has gone terribly down hill ever since the new manager Tabatha started working there.

She is rude, lazy and hate filled. Paying customers regularly have to wait for up to five minutes to pay for there purchases because Tabatha can rarely be found. Although Tabatha spends the better part of the day chatting on the phone she is quick to criticize both her customers and workers. She refuses to let customers use the restroom.

And the store has become dirtier and dirtier since she has worked here. I have seen the mess from one spill stay there for over a month and a half.

She has had a section of a medicine aisle blocked with piles of merchandise for several months now.I will not shop here again until I hear that she has been replaced.

• Al
    allie opp May 22, 2013

It is the store policy to put in identification information for certain returns and exchanges. They have to do what the register prompts them to do or the cannot complete the return/exchange.

• Re
    rere*I Feb 11, 2013

Sounds to me like your whiny ### hates to work and wants a hand out. Me personal, which just started with DG would rather spend 12.00 on the logo shirts and 30 on the pants instead of messing up my usual clothing. Makes more sense to me, but I guess I would much rather ### about something and be heard so someone will start a disagreement war over whats better and whats not. Also, if you think you are sooooooo much better than the employees at the DG and the pay rate was not valuable enough to you then step aside and let someone willing and ABLE enough to take such a low paying worthless job as you have stated. I know 10 ppl right off the top of my head that would be happy taking this job and wld succeed at. I ran 3 dollar stores in GA, one that the manager decided to sell the past weeks nightly deposits from and I was shoved into that position to clean the store and fix the money problem. Guess what, that was only 10/hr to run those 3 stores that was a 45 minute drive to one of them. Did I complain, no, I was happy to have a job, that I supplied my uniform for. And to top it off, neither of the stores were located in the right part of town.
    And someone else said something about not being able to have a full staff for catching shoplifters. At no point was either of my stores equipped with more than two people. A key holder of some kind and a cashier. We caught many people and still managed to get our stock put out, the entire store faced before closing and the apparel. So before you open you stupid mouth to belittle a company that has hired you stupid and yet lazy tail, you might want to thank God for the job you have. Because if you were working under me or even hire than me, you would find yourself looking for a new job.

• Bo
    Boss_Lady Jan 23, 2013

Sounds like a lot of cases of really bad management- including at store level. But, a LOT of retailers expect you to at least keep a standard of dress, for instance, I am required to wear only black pants, black socks, black dress shoes, and black sweaters or white collared shirts where I currently work. Over the last 4 1/2 years, I estimate I've spent over 2 grand just on clothing. This is by shoppping at discount stores such as TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. And so I really don't see the problem here, as far as dress code goes. And as a manager myself- no matter where you go, a good manager is always working right alongside an associate- bad ones stay in the office. As far as shrink, nay small box retailer knows that we all have limited payroll so must keep coaching & training people to prevent theft. it can be done, it IS possible to lower those shrink rates. All these issues, for the most part, are corporate facts of life. Retail industry or not.

• Mi
    MissKimTheBest Sep 01, 2012

She did exactly what you wanted her to!That's not rude.

• Si
    Sick of this job already Aug 08, 2012

I agree. I've been there less than 2 weeks. They put me on registar the first day, no training at all. The registars are broke, they don't scan coupuns and the manager wants you to do everything while they set their big butts in office and chat on phone. They are rude and not helpful at all. They hollar across the store if customer is at registar even tho they are right there and could cash them out their self. They want cashiers to stock, run registar, mop, do totes, refil coolers and everything while they literally set on their ### in office. I hate this job but have no choice except to keep it until something better comes along. I get 15-20 hours a week, live alone and make min wage. I have had a bunch of horrible jobs but this one takes the cake. Not even a discount ! LMAO. This is the most pathetic place I have ever worked and can't wait til I find a real job. And one more thing, I'M NOT BEGGING FOR CHANGE FROM ANYBODY! LET'S SEE THE OWNERS OF THIS COMPANY DO IT FOR A WHILE>DOUBT THEY WOULD EITHER. This company sucks!

• It
    Item on sell price Apr 30, 2012

Went there to shop one of the items was on sell at least the sign said so when I checked the receipt. It didn't take it off so I came back in to get my money back which I was right when she checked the sign herself, but she had to put in my id and make a copy of the receipt, which makes you feel like you done something wrong. She was not friendly or did she have a smile on her face and she took forever to make the copy which she had to go to the back of the store. All over just rude

• Wn
    Wnheretogo Mar 03, 2012

Dollar general is having families evicted from alot mxt to the one they just purchased in belton mo, my wife was on a trip to see her new grndchild anf suffered a heart attack . The children and i here dont have the funds to go see her in the hospital and may have to move into a shelter. The owner just gave everyone thirttdays notice, and said the dollar general would not give the money for the land deal unless all tenants were remobed from ajoing lot. Thanks dollar store. Needless to say theree not savimg my family anything with their progress. Any ideas anyon [email protected]

Anonymissy Feb 02, 2012

I'm sry, but if you're really ### about the people who are lodging their complaint about their job on a website called "complaintsboard" then you are obviously a [censored] for coming here and expecting anything else other than complaining. If those with jobs are tired of hearing people complain about theirs, then GTFO this website. Obviously there is a good reason you are jobless. So while you're sitting on your fat, unemployed ### at your computer desk all day, remember that the welfare you collect every month comes out of OUR ### paychecks that we work our ### off to earn. SO STFU and mind your own damn business!

• Tr
    Trevor is now a proud father a baby boy Aug 24, 2011

Actually that would make you a good parent because you prepared the child for the real world and taught her to fend for herself. There is a time when you have to cut the cord.

• Tr
    Trevor is now a proud father a baby boy Aug 23, 2011

Actually impudent1/gkemigmatic I think that this is a mother writing on her daughter's behalf because the daughter got fired. You know how parents can get, their child can do no wrong, their child is better than everyone else.

• Fi
    FIRE MOM Aug 23, 2011

I am a fan of dollar general but ruth has screwed up again. She has hired many managers and the last one was the best since the first manager was here. Connie would speak to you and always help you and the shelves was full. Now they fired her and hired dawn bell. She has not passed her test, she was in the front of the store and not once did i hear her sy hello to any customer, offer to help, or even be friendly. Last week i was in there and she has a cart blocking the fabric softener. I said excuse me twice she took a half step forward and would not move. I reached to get it, iwent over to the vitamins. She followed me. I had to move aqnother cart to get to them and tiffany was there, she told dawn that people keep moving that cart and dawn said i wish these damn customers would stop moving these carts. Tiffany is also a rude one. There is 4 people working in that store. Michelle is nice, helpful and working hard. Jess will say please, help you and say thank you. Tiffany never says please, says thank you in a rude voice and she and dawn are buddies and very rude. Ruth the one above dawn is not doing her job. The back room is full, they had pulled teresa and her boss in last week and the worked their ### off to work all that stock and they spoke to everyone. Today that store was packed. 4 people in line jess was checking and dawn never went to help. Do something please!!! Ruth, dawn and tiffany have to go or this store will shut down. Its back to normal, empty shelves, and as usual ### in charge, bring connie condo back, get rid of district manager ruth and our new manager dawn and tiiffany. I am not the only one complaining and 2 area dollar general stores are not happy with connie getting fired and bringing in dawn. Please help or you will lose a lot of business.

• De
    DENISE STAFFORD Aug 21, 2011

Worked for the company 5 years and was forced out of my mgr position by my rm and to make it bad was put on the no rehire list, why in the words of the rm to much tragedy in the last few years in my family. One son killed in 2006 car wreck my mother and another son killed in 2009 car wreck and at the time this happen i had just found out my daughter had cancer. I was always at work and do not think i was treated fair at all. Yes more to this story but would nt waste my time on dg. Just want the world to know what kind of company they spend there money at

• Si
    sikbastard Aug 04, 2011

be a smart ###, repay your over compensation minus the cost of the money order, and stamp.

• On
    Only 1 Truth Jun 17, 2011

call the number that should be located on the big poster that hangs in the breakroom. Its employee resolve or something like that.

• Er
    ErisStar May 23, 2011

The employees are required to purchase their own uniforms. Corporate only allows so many hours a week depending on the time of year it is it may be less then 100 hours a week. The Manager is expected to pick up the extra hours sometimes when they only make a yearly salary of 25, 000. Corporate has unrealistic expectations of their minimum wage employees and underpaid managers. The schedule only allows for one person to be there until 12:00 usually. So, if you shop in the morning, when all of the drop shipments come in this is why there is such a wait.

MANAGERS May 21, 2011

DOLLERAL GENERAL MAKES THE EMPLOYEES BUY THEIR OWN SHIRTS AND THEY ONLY MAKE MIN.WAGE PLUS THEY DON'T
    EVEN GET ENOUGH HOURS A WEEK ..SOME ONLY WILL ONLY GET MAYBE 8 HOURS A WEEK IF THEY ARE LUCKY!!! AND THEY DON"T GIVE US ENOUGH HOURS TO HAVE TWO CASHIERS, WHICH WE DO NEED TWO CASHIERS ALL THE TIME AND SOMEONE TO BE ON THE FLOOR TO HELP CUSTOMERS, THEN IT WOULD BE ALOT NICER FOR THE CUSTOMERS AND EMPLOYEES WOULD BE ALOT MORE HAPPIER !!!
    I AM A STORE MANAGER AND I FEEL SORRY FOR MY EMPLOYEES ... THE COMPANY WON'T LET US HIRE ANY FULLTIME EMPLOYEES...
    NOW THAT IS BULL ### !!! DMS, RM AND CORP. HASN'T EVEN WORKED IN THE STORES AND THE SHOUD HAVE WORKED IN A STORE FOR ATLEAST FOUR TO FIVE YEARS BEFOE BECOMING A DM OR HIGHER UP PERSON ...THEN THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND WHAT WE NEED AND WHAT WOULD MAKE CUSTOMERS HAPPY !!!

• Ne
    needles May 19, 2011

I've always liked shopping at this store when they first opened. The longer they have been here the more the cashiers just seem so un happy with their jobs. Maybe its management? The cashiers wear, or should I say used to wear nice bright yellow polos. Now they look like some one ran their shirts over on a blacktop pavement. The cashiers are not professionally dressed to work in a sales department store. They some times look as if they just crawled out of bed. For some reason, this store always only seem to have one cashier working!! Even when there are up to ten customers in line. My comment to this day is, "I rather go across the street to the Family dollar store" because, for one: they hardly ever have a line and they seem happy with where the work and are always professional. My wait in line at dollar general is ususally 20 to 30 minutes long... I dont understand why the other worker does not help out?? I like the sales that they offer at dollar general, but the wait is ridiculous!! Esspecially when you see elders in line who can barely stand.. This is a very busy store and is understandable, would be nice if they had an available clerk to help out when it gets busy. As far as appearance, maybe clerks be offered more than one shirt for work. That will avoid the the wear and tear. Because trust me, they do have an employee who does wear her work shirt with HOLES in it. And I believe she is a manager! Very embarrassing. Dont you think?? To enjoy the dollar general prices we go out of way and drive to the Ft. Mohave store that is 20 miles from my home.. When the local one is only 5 minutes away. Very shameful.

Sandi Thompson Mar 03, 2011

This must run rapid through Dollar General stores the new store on M-115 in Manistee County in the town of Copemish Michigan. We opened Febuary 22 and I was appointed the Asstant Manager till I recieved my pay check that showed my income at min. wage. Because of a manager who even lied to our District manager over and over again took money out of her own pocket to make store balance for the day. Fired me cause of something some people that she herself called a click said about me that was a lie. Get a card from your boss thanking you for your hard work and how much you are appriciated, 6 hours later walks in and says your fired!!!??? How do they run thier stores this way I do think either the new assistant manager will stab her in the back to get her job or eventually the District Manager will catch her in too many lies and she will be done!!!

shotsie13 Jan 05, 2011

Been There, Done That! Have been with the co. 6 yrs. SUCKS!!! Clened up many stores, last one being if not cleaned up in 10 days...closed down by dept. of health ! Did it and ran the store for 3 yrs. thriving. Problem was, I was working 60-70 hrs a week. E-Z store, with t he way they pack the rolltainetrs had a case of bleach fall on my shoulder...lost it, called my DM and said I wanted to be demoted to my origanal store(4 miles as compared to 23 miles) I have been involved in a lawsuit against them which went to court in Sept. Have been writtn up several times since for things I can't control.My mgr. wears hearing aids, so has to speak on speakerphone. Heard today (as he was talking in the office) that we could have 2 people for a bit more to take my place...cuz Sherry isn't worth!!!BITE ME ALL I HAVE DONE I AM SO WITH ANYONE AGAINST DG!!!PS NOT BEGGING 4 LITERACY...8000 STORES...WHERE THE MONEY GO??????????

• Co
    Company is a joke Aug 28, 2010

I work for DG and I am sick of the multi-tasking, stock shelves here and change the endcap here and oh by the way run the register too. In the meantime the manager sits there [censor] in the office and chews on some grub and doesn't do anything. And there is nothing better than wearing black and yellow and roasting your [censor] off in 90 plus degree weather, when your air unit is not working properly. Yes we were told that employee theft was the major problem, well that is total bull how bout corporate bring their lazy [censor] down and watch the floors for us instead of just coming in to interigate the employees and make them think they are working with thieves and can't trust each other, that's real "teamwork". This company is pathetic and just downright ignorant when it comes to pay, treatment of employees, and respect for what we do as little "pee ons". Hours being cut all the time, changes all the sudden and expect you to change your life. My life doesn't revolve around this [censored]hole store and never will. You can be hospitalized or major sick and they accept your doctor exuse and then say they dont recognize them and write you up for it, what the hell. Oh and the best one is everyone uses your cash drawer and then when you end up short they write you up for that too. The favorite one I found to be seen is when you do a pick, and they tell you don't put it in the (timer) safe, bring it to them instead that way they don't have to deal with it at the end of the night. I mean god forbid they have to do some work and make an effort. I'm looking for something better than this job, and I hope something comes up soon, because I'm so close just to saying hell with it and walk out. But of course I would wait until were real busy, lined up halfway down the store, because noone will help you out and open up another register and walk out and let them deal with it. Our store has so many complaints from customers (online, and called in) but that doesn't seem to bother the district manager. I will never work for this company again.

• Khandi Jun 05, 2010

You know what I have learned from past experiences such as this, some jobs are just not worth the time or chaos. Here are the rules I established for myself when I worked jobs such as these, first, if I must wear a uniform, don't take the jobs. Second, if I must pay for the uniform, avoid the job. Third, only pursue employment that will allow me to wear my own clothes rather than someone else's. Why? simply because some states are at-will -states, which mean you can be fired for any reason without cause or you can simply quit without giving notice. This explains the high turnover rate many of places such as these have.
    In other words, do not spend your personal money on uniforms or specific clothing to meet company dress codes or other needs, that is their responsibility to provide uniforms if they want employees to wear them. Think, if you could afford to spend money frivolously to meet dress code standards, why would you need the job. You are seeking employment to earn money not to spend what little you already have. So, what happens when things don't work out and for some reason the manager fires you or perhaps you decide to pursue other interest such as a better job, you are left stuck with all uniforms and your money is gone, which means you are not compensated for your lost either. One time I spent 20.00 for shirt from Target for a job (19.95 +tax), I bought three of them, they refused to pay for the uniforms or reimburse employees . I was suppose to work 30 hours per week in a testing center, instead, the manager scheduled us to work less than 20 hours per week to save money. So eventually, three of the five new employees left, I was one of them, first let me state, we signed contracts at the time for 30 hours per week with the regional manager, it was the manager of the testing site who did this, and yes, we called the regional manager, met with him, and informed him of what was going on.
    We were left stuck with these dam shirts, but guess what, within two days the testing site had an add placed on monster.com for a new testing site manager! You see, at the time the regional manager hired us, "he informed us we had a choice of colors, either black and white, or beige and white, while the others wore beige and white, we wore black and white because that's what we had in our closets. Who wants to spend unnecessary money for clothing? Not only were we being pressured into spending money we did not have, we were also being scheduled for other than what the contract had specified. So to all those in these situations, always remember, you are seeking employment for capitol gain, not losses, do not spend money on these jobs, none of them are worth it!

Shannon36535 Jun 05, 2010

I dont need a time out chair but people in this county need to quit [censor]ing about having a job and a paycheck. People without one are sick of listening to it and those who are happy with the job they go to like myself are tired of listening to the whiners who think they deserve more and arent willing to go out and get it. Im mean no one is coming to anyone ones door and saying oh sorry we overlooked your potential .. heres 50 grand a year. thanks for sitting anround and [censor]ing .

Shannon36535 Jun 03, 2010

How bout you not work there if you dont like your job. With a 10% unemployment rate in this country there is someone who is glad to take your job and make your wage while you sit on your lazy, whiny [censor].

• Bi
    bizfounder May 29, 2010

Sometimes, I do agree that if you work for a company and they want you to wear a specific uniform, especially one with the company name on it, they should pay for it. Especially a big franchise operation like DG. Maybe you should charge them for advertising fees, after all when you wear their shirt with their name on it you are essentially advertising for them. On the other hand, no-one is forcing you people to work at Dollar General. The last time I checked you can still quit a job and go somewhere else in the U.S. If you don't like working at places like DG then better yourself with education or find a way to start your own business and then you can make up all the silly rules they want. Especially woman and minorities. There are so many programs through the SBA and Government that will help you start and expand a business you can't count them all. So please stop whining and get off your minimum wage you know what and do something with your life, besides whine about how your employer runs it's business.But don't be surprised if you do start a business and to the point where you are turning a profit, you understand where your employer was coming from when they charged you for that uniform. In case you didn't know it, that so called minimum wage job means your employer is really paying out around $10.70 or more per hour. You can thank the Government that, and with this idiot we have in the White House means it's certainly not going to get any better.