Dollar General Complaints & Reviews

Have a problem? Contact customer service, submit your complaint, find closest location, or read guest reviews below.

stealing company time

I worked for Dollar General for awhile now and have noticed that a lot of the SM do not work a 40 hr week. They are on set salary and may only work about 25-35 hrs for week leaving early, saying they were there when they are not and I for one dont think its no where near right when your getting paid a certain amout and clearly not doing what is suppose to be done and they are getting away with this because they dont have to clock in and out like the rest of us. I no our DM does not have time to check every mgr hrs but I really think this is something that needs to be looked into especially in the Hammond, La area

• Ab
    abovetheaverage Jun 10, 2010

Seems like you're just a hating snitch

• Fl
    flyboy99 Jul 06, 2010

The manager at the Dollar General on East Main Street in Laurens, South Carolina also leaves early, and arrives late, but is still paid her full salary. She gets employees to do tasks that the manager is suppose to do. I went there last Friday morning, I noticed that her car was in the parking lot, but when I walked up to the counter to check out I waited for at least 3 to 4 minutes, but no one ever came out. I was told by a guy named A.J.who use to work there, that the manager is an alcoholic, who carries small bottles of liquor in her purse. My aunt Sherry worked for a Dollar General in Laurens, South Carolina, and she also says that the manager at the Dollar General on East Main Street is a lazy alcoholic.

discrimination

This may take a bit of your time... I have been working with the company for roughly 6 year and I am still...

employee

I was a store manager with Dollar General for 2 years. I was hurt with a steel cage; I am on crutches for the rest of my life. I have to have special shoes built. I have developed RSD due to the injury. Let me tell you what a wonderful company Dollar General claims to be! I had to have my cam walker replace in March. My lawyer had it approved; I went down to the ortho place to get my boot and arm brace. The specialist but the boot and brace on me and I was going out the door when the receptionist called me back. She said, I’m sorry but Dollar General is refusing to pay for the boot and brace. I had to take the cam walker and brace off. I watched the specialist dig my old boot (I had to tape it closed) and brace out of the trash bin and put them back on me. I was so mad, and mortified. I cried for days. It took me four weeks to get the walker and brace. I still have not got my shoe. I worked 80 hrs a week . I took a store that got robbed every 3 months. No one else would take it. This is the repayment I get for doing my best. I won my case and still am fighting.Dollar General has appealed the case and now they are refusing to pay for my trips to the doctors. Please, Please think twice before going to work for this company.

• Dg
    DG2010 Apr 21, 2010

I"m so sorry to hear that. I've heard of several cases of people being injured and good ol' DG not doing a darn thing for them. Sadly I work there, for lack of anything else. But I don't like it.

• Co
    colleenirishroze49 Jun 14, 2010

i too was a manager for good old d.g. i was injured on the job, got fired, now i am splat inthe middle of a workers comp. case...they are terrible towork for. but, i guess i should thank them for 1 thing, if i wasn't injured and they didn't fire me because of it, then i would not have gone back to schhol to get my bachelors...

• Ga
    garyst Mar 12, 2015

Yesterday, on March 11, 2015, my wife followed me into a Dollar General on Shiloh Road in Seneca, SC. My wife was banned fron there years ago for what amounts to the female store manager dislikes her race (native american). My wife asked to be allowed back in, as I go in an spend 100-250 usd a week there. Upon leaving, I was pulled into the middle of it. Finally, the manager told me, You Dont Have To Come Here Either! I was pissed!!! I cursed her out and left. Dollar General, look for our lawsuit soon! [email protected]

• Hu
    HumiliatedbyManager Jun 25, 2015

The Woman manager at D.G. On Shiloh rd. and wells highway in Seneca S.C. Is prejudiced and profiles people by the way they look, I am an American Indian and she called me a Mexican to my face and accused me of stealing, and told me she watches the video cameras everytime i come in but NEVER could find a reason to ban me. I am a very quiet keep to myself polite person that minds my own business. I have NEVER done anything to make this manager hate me or want to ban me. Until one day, this manager got into my and my husbands personal business, and pulled him into the back and told him abunch of bad things about me all untrue, about an argument between my husband and i. This woman stuck her nose in and asked my husband ( whom was mad at me and she said i wish I could ban her for something, but I can get anything on her, and told him how she watches me on camera EVERYTIME I come in ... From that my husband told her something i had told him that had happen to me years ago when I was about 16 years old, that i am bad about picking up pens and lighters and forgetting i have them ( even at home, work etc) and he told her that I had stolen a pen at target. Completely by accident i promise you. And she banned me for that i guess. I still don't understand what gives this manager the right to racially insult me by calling me a maxi can, I told her i wAs not Mexican but Indian, her reply was well, "what's the diffrence, u all steal. Also i went in to ask her why I was banned and she used alot of profanity and told me to leave or she would call the police, also what gives her the right to pull MY HUSBAND into the back for employees only area, and question him about my personal life. I have been so hurt and insulted by this manager Angie? That it has scared me...I don't know if she had a thing for my husband (which it seems so) as he was allowed to shop there but I was not. This Angie needs to be turned in. Oh also, I heard her tell one of her workers, to " Watch that ###" she whispered it, not knowing i was behind her. This woman does not need to be in a management position, as she is running GOOD PAYING CUSTOMERS off !!! No matter what color the skin, our money is green, and I used to spend $50 to $75 dollars a day in there, as it is the only dollar store near me, also i believe Dollar General management NEEDS TO KNOW, what's going on in their stores, before people like Angie gets them sued for racial discrimination. As it stands she has banned me, my husband and 9 other we know of. She instigates with personal information, Is VERY RUDE, and when u say something back, she bans you... I think Dollar General needs to know about her banning and discriminating against people of color. Please talk to her about lifting the ban, As i have decided to get an attorney to look into this matter, i live I block from DG and i cannot even shop there is very rediculous, not to mention humiliating to me being a 50 yr old woman that has to drive 15 miles to Walmart to get a loaf of bread...it's just rediculous and im fed up with this woman. We live in a small town and everybody in Seneca hates shopping at the SHILOH Rd. Dollar General because of this Manager woman named Angie (i think) because she doesn't wear a name tag
    Respectfully Lisa and Gary Stancil
    [email protected]

vacation pay owed to me

To whom this may concern which I hope the CEO of Dollar General read this plus the upper managerment in HR...

fired for payroll edits

I was recently fired from my job at Dollar General for payroll edits. I have noticed that there are a few of you out there that have been fired for this as well. I had very little training I was promoted to ASM very quickly, three months later our SM goes on FMLA, she doesn't return. Which left my 3rd key and myself to run this "trouble store" for almost ten months, with no compensation, no additional training, no bonuses, nothing. I then have my baby, I was replace by two males, so I filed a FEEOC claim. Four months later I was promoted to SMC, THE VERY NEXT DAY, I was promoted to SM..back to running the store how I had been trained. Hence doing payroll how I was showed...My ASM was also fired for payroll edits...we did not know we were violating a policy. I have worked for the company for three years, and have always done payroll this way, We went through like four DM's, nobody ever told us, what we were doing was wrong. Until this past December, My ASM and myself made associates clock in and out properly and our new DM told us to document edits, she said if employees don't clock in and out right they need wrote up, I said ok. So I corrected what I was doing wrong via "payroll edits", and did what my DM said, still she never spoke it was a violation. But anyways, we fixed the problem for five weeks, and then terminated for it. I think Dollar General retaliated against my store for my FEEOC and the class action, concerning overtime pay for managers. I think when you sign up for claim(s), they use payroll edits to fire you on, they do not explain the importance of payroll edits, they let it red flag for years, and then when you sign your name to a dotted line, they clean out your whole store, because the whole store is your witness. If you were fired for this as well, contact me, they will not get away with doing this to us, they will pull all 8400+ stores payroll, and show me who all is red flagging right now, and still working, this is a problem, they won't get away with it!! I have contacted some of you, for all you others, please contact me, if we all get together it only makes us stronger. They didn't train us right, and for it, we get fired. I was 6 out of 15 in sales, 3 out of 15 for shrink (improved it by 68k), positive comp. My old DM said that my store was #2 on appearance in the district. We got outstandings on our SVS's almost every month, my store was one of the first stores to be model certified in our district. I received certificates for 2009 lowest expense to plan percent, most improved store, Accident Free, I was in the thousand dollar range for EBITA. So why was I fired, I was never even wrote up, at all..not even once during my employment with Dollar General.

• 71
    7106va Nov 14, 2010

Hello, i wasnt fired for payroll edits, but i had a dm who wanted to get rid of me after a stay in the hospital. she told another store manager that she was going to find a way to get rid of me. and she did. i honored a sale price. she got me disqualified from unemployment saying she had talked to me about the situation and had warned me not to do the transaction and i never even told her about the transaction or when it was done. it flagged on emt because it was a large order. my problem is no training and no guidance. could you write me a letter stating about your complaints with no guidance no time to sat and read sop cause of cutting hours. [email protected] the store manager that kept me informed still works for her and dont want her name involved. i also signed the lawsuit paperwork but it was after i was terminated. dollar general is full of vindictive dm and others who eventually are going to get shoved out anyways even if they follow policy and procedures. thanks jane

• Po
    Polidori Nov 18, 2010

i had the same thing happen to me fired for payroll editing no training didn' e t even know what i was doing was wrong my old manager is doing the same thing to this day why is he still employed .Brenda Polidori store 10237 Gloversville N.y

• 71
    7106va Mar 07, 2011

brenda,
    payroll editing is sometimes a have too. when employees dont clock in or out. i dont know what thier problem is but i had a girl tht was working a non dollar general person in the store and they didnt fire her. i had proof i burned a cd and got statements. but to no good. now i dont have a job. something has to be done. they cant go on treating people like this.

• Je
    Jean2011 Jul 11, 2011

Amazing? I was a DG manager for over 6 years. I have been doing payroll the exact same way the entire time. I filed a complaint with the EEOC as well and guess what? Yep I was fired for payroll edits within 3 days of DG receiving my EEOC complaint. Furthermore, I had video's in my store and could prove that the payroll edits were valid edits. Guess what again?? they fired me and erased the video... Go figure. I have filed a lawsuit in Michigan, if I win I am sure it will give presedence in your state. If you would like to send me a statement so that my chances would improve in court please do, Just be honest, I know I have always been but with DG most of the time, truth really doesn't matter...

• Je
    Jean2011 Jul 11, 2011

I forgot my email, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Thanks again

• Fa
    FarmGirle Sep 22, 2011

I worked for dollar general, and they fired me last week, for takeing a break and looking at an old magazine.I was fired the next day, not only did i have a 45 minute drive there but they let me drive there, clock in and then fire me. Dollar General is crap and they do treat there management like ###. I dont think its right but i do believe they did me a favor, that place is a headache. It makes you sick to your stomache. Rural Hall, NC

workers comp

I was a store manager with dollar general for 2 years. I was hurt with a steel cage; I am on crutches for the rest of my life. I have to have special shoes built. I have developed rsd due to the injury. Let me tell you what a wonderful company dollar general claims to be! I had to have my cam walker replace in march. My lawyer had it approved; I went down to the ortho place to get my boot and arm brace. The specialist but the boot and brace on me and I was going out the door when the receptionist called me back. She said, i’m sorry but dollar general is refusing to pay for the boot and brace. I had to take the cam walker and brace off. I watched the specialist put gloves on and dig my old boot (I had to tape it closed) and brace out of the trash bin and put them back on me. I was so mad, and mortified. I cried for days. It took me four weeks to get the walker and brace. I still have not got my shoe. I worked 80 hrs a week sometimes; I took a store that got robbed every 3 months. No one else would take it. This is the repayment I get for doing my best. I won my case and still am fighting. Please, please think twice before going to work for this company.

• Sw
    sweetpence Jan 25, 2011

This is horrifying. Have you taken your complaint higher up? I don't know...maybe like a work commision office of some sort., a lawyer that specializes in worker's compensation or have a consultation with a lawyer to see if you have grounds to sue the B--tards. Many companies get away with such things because they know that most employess will live with unfair treatment that is done to them. Research...find out what your rights are and fight back...they are counting on you not fighting back at all. That's how many companies get away with this sort of thing all the time.

I am one who never fought back but, last year we had a flood because of faulty pipes in my apartment. We had to spend close to $1000.00 to stay at a motel for a week because the management refused to put us up in one of the empty apartments until repairs were done in our apartment. Someone told me this happens because no one makes a fuss...so I did. I called and wrote to the company that owned the apartment complex and told them what was happening and how I knew what my righte were and would like to settle this without having to go to claims court but, would do so if I did not get my problem resolved. The very next day I got a letter telling me that they were waiving rent and water for the month. I did not get my money back but, all my bills were paid by them for the amount of the 1000.00 I spent on hotel and food costs.

Companies should really take care of their employees better. Good employee care reaps it's rewards in, better attendance, willingness to help and all around good work attitude.

I really think you should take this higher. This type of treatment is appalling to say the least!!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

joybug57 Jul 20, 2012

If anyone has been hurt @ Dollar Gernal and mistreted, contact Berdie Gillis @[email protected]

• Mo
    moms girl Oct 01, 2014

Dollar General doesn't care about their employees. Injuries happen all the time and do not get reported. Key holders are forced to remain on Dollar General property during unpaid meal breaks, as well as, work while off the clock because there is no other way and Dollar General has yet to fix the problem.

manager not treating employee fair

I am a parent to one of the emplyees at this store, this employee is my son who I say and know is a very hard worker and a very honest young man. I will not say his name but I will leave you my name (i am his mother) and (my cell number) for any return questions and concerns at the bottom of this email. The managers name at this store is James. James hires teenagers to pay them very little cash to work hard he hired my son when the time came for my son's raise he decreased his hours of work then eventually decreased his days from 3 days to 2 day and now 1 day. Til this day my son has not recieved his raised and still works one day a week, and that is Sundays. James has my son arriving at 6:00 in the morning every Sunday knowing he has no way to get to work that early but I HIS MOM MAKES SURE HE GETS THERE. This manger has a reputation of doing this to employees after they are there for while he decreases hours and days to irritate the employees enough to make them quit on thier own so that the store will not be liable for unemployment. This manager (James) wants my son to quit . It's a shame my son told this manager in confidence that he was going to get a place to live for his son and son's mother so why would this manager play games like this. My son is struggling and to be honest it's hard trying to find a job anywhere he's trying but why should he be doing so when he has a job already and may lose it because of such a careless manager. My son is not a quitter this is not fair and I only plea and ask that someone look into this matter . My name is Mrs. Oquendo and my contact number is [protected], This is a terrible example for a company to set to it's employees and a terrible definition and description of a manager. I hope and pray to hear from you soon, thank you.

mami2004 Apr 17, 2010

Iworked at dollar general for 2 years as an assistant manager and it was really really bad they only paid me $6.25 an hours that was pretty low of dollar general. I locked up the store and my friend cane to pick me up because i didnt have a car. so i let him in because this dollar general was in a bad area and they fired me the next day. it was better for me because i didnt do anything wrong. But it just made me a better person and i love my new job!!!

mami2004 Apr 17, 2010

mateers fact irish I DID IN FACT HAVE MY DRIVERS LICENSE MY CAR WAS IN THE SHOP. AND HE WAS ALLOWED IN THE STORE!!! IM A SECURITY OFFICER NOW SO IT IS BETTER.. YOU ARE KIND OF RUDE BY THE WAY KEEP YOUR NASTY COMMENTS TO YOURSELF I WASNT REPLYING TO YOU ANYWAYS ITS NOT YOUR ARTICLE!!! I DIDNT GET A BRAKE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR GOING THRU MENAPAUSE!!! GERT OVER YOURSELF!!!

mami2004 Apr 18, 2010

okay im 24 yearls old. i wasnt rude until she got nasty with me. i didnt pay attention to her age for real.

mami2004 Apr 18, 2010

if she wasnt replying to me why did she say mami2004 thats my screen name? or isnt it?

• Gh
    Ghostbuster Ross Apr 18, 2010

Judging from the comment that you left Mami2004, perhaps it is your rudeness and attitude which got you fired?

"I WASNT REPLYING TO YOU ANYWAYS ITS NOT YOUR ARTICLE!!! I DIDNT GET A BRAKE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR GOING THRU MENAPAUSE!!! GERT OVER YOURSELF!!!"

Who cares whose article it is, this is not your article yet you choose to reply. Irish and everyone has every right to reply as you do. Just because they don't share your opinion does not give you a right to tell them that they can't post since this is not their article.

" 24 yearls old. i wasnt rude until she got nasty with me. i"
    That is the same excuse that five year olds use. But instead of saying "she started it" "she did it first" so basically you are no better than her.

Also just because you don't know about the no customers after store closes does not mean you did nothing wrong. Try telling a police officer you did not know what you did was illegal when he arrests you. Won't allow that excuse and that won't stand in court. You claim that you are 24 years old but you don't act that way.

Just so you know most companies don't allow customers after the store closes. Perhaps if you were a more decent person they would have let it slide, but my guess is that you are as rude as you are online when you are face to face with real people. They used that as an excuse to fire you. They obviously fired you for a reason, you may not be honest about the real reason, but I am sure they gave you a reason. You claim that you have a new job and that makes you a better person than you were before. If this is true than you must have been a real terrible person since your improved self is not that good of a person. However I doubt from your attitude that you are a better person just by reading your rude response. You may find my response rude, well sometimes the truth needs to be told that way and sometings the truth hurts.

• Za
    Zar Z Apr 18, 2010

I don't know which Dollar General mami2004 has been working at, but they do tend to treat their employees badly. I have worked there for 3 years before I quit. As for those saying that her boyfriend was not allowed inside after closing you are correct. It clearly states this in the employee handbook that family members are not allowed inside the store after the store is closed and if they are allowed in it can lead to displinary action. This is the same handbook given to all the stores so even before you say it, this rule applies to your store Mami. Perhaps you should have read the hand book they gave you when you were hired.

• Za
    Zar Z Apr 18, 2010

I agree with the OP, they do treat employees unfairly, but surely as the mother of the employee your opinion is biased. Also if I found out my mother/father wrote a letter to my place of work I would be embarassed.

• Tr
    Trevor is now a proud father a baby boy Apr 20, 2010

Thank you Zar, the truth comes out.

• Mu
    music13 Nov 26, 2010

I'm a Asst. Manager and we would have called the cops. I NEVER accuse anyone of stealing unless I see it with my eyes. Not all Dollar General's are like that. Ours is like a family. with our customers. Get them out. Dollar General has strict rules and DO NOT put up with people being rude to customers. So sorry this happened.

harrassment

I was a loyal employee for this company for the 5mths that I was there. I was even promoted to a 3 key person but was treated like an assistant manager. I would come in when other call in sick convenietly on the weekends. Would close the store most of the time and never complained, I always exceeded what was expeceted of me and I would come in sometimes on my day off to cover for someone else and I have a 1yr old at home. So you know I was dedicated. Things began to change all of a sudden when the assistant manager, who was fired from a previous job for stealing money got her friend and ex-coworker hired whom was also had been fired for stealing at the same job. The assistant would come in and not do what was expected of her to do and laid the blame on me and the manager (Who doesn't believe the assistant does any wrong) believed everything she said. I began to get harrassed daily about things not done in the store but it was the assistant's and the person working with her job to get those things done. The mananger on today 4-5-2010 called me in the breakroom where there are no camera's and got all in my face, and was very rude and ugly towards me, I became so angry by her actions, I just walked out. Oh I forgot to say in the beginning of my complaint that there have been serveral other employees that have been done the same way by this mananger and assistant manager.

• Gr
    Grimsley Jul 01, 2010

This sounds just like the problem in the Helena, Alabama store.So called assistant mgr makes her own schedule at one point worked about 3 days in 6 weeks.When Janice returned all she did was tell everybody how bad the store was.My wife has worked for DG for about 10 yrs. but as of tomorrow THANK THE LORD she's letting them have it all.Even contacted DM and he must be DEAF, DUMB AND BLIND.IT'S ALL YOURS (WITCH-JANICE)

Jannie L. Winnfield Apr 06, 2011

I went into D.G. a couple of times and there's this worker who is very rude in Woodworth, LA. She leaves you waiting, she does not speak to the customers when you enter, and she pokes you in the hand to hand you your change back without saying thank you. I complained to the manager but this situation has not changed. I want to know how to report her to the district manager or whom every, would do something about this problem. Because if she does not want to work, then step down from her position and allow someone else to have the job that needs to work and knows how to handle the public with a smile, knowing that without the customers she does not have a check coming in. Thank you Jim,

heath m. r. g.

I just left d. g. s. at 3615 dayton blvd. I went threw the line 3 times because I for got a few things well I ran across some marked down shirts long sleeved. the first one rang up a penny well I got that one and 2 more just like the first when I took my bags to the truck I went back in the store to buy a few more penny shirts heath the store m. r. g. told me after shopping with d. g. s. for 20 plus years that he has to put the shirts I had in my hand to buy in the trash wow what a man he said it is store police for him to trash them he can not sell them to me because I found his mistake not no fault of my on the other shirts rang up 80 cents I got them any way way to go after 20 plus years not any more that just coast him a life long customer

• Se
    secrets030187 Feb 13, 2011

he could have been fired for giving you a discontinued product. would you like to see that happen just so you can get a crappy shirt

had to wait in line for 20 min

was cashing out while store was of people an had a lot of change an had to count 2 or 3 times before they got...

awful management

We have a General Dollar Store in out small town. Its one of only 2 places we have to shop. They are not dependable. Suppose to open at 8am and you never know what time they are going to finally get the doors open. Lots of people have stopped going there all together because of the workers that are working there. They all look nasty and spaced out. Cant this be fixed?

People in this town are sick of things that go on there. The doors to the store was left unlocked one night. Are you aware of that. The people that work there are rude and refuse to help the customers. You need to send someone in to check it out that they are not aware of. Its pitiful

Anyways11 Aug 22, 2011

Worked for them back in the 90's. Idiots run the chain, idiots work in the chain. Should change the name to Idiots General.

racist unprofessional

I had purchased a christmas present from this store for my son but when I took it home my wife and I decided that it was not apropreiate for a boy. I attempted to return the item the next day unopened, with receipt... The manager asked me for my drivers licensed which I provided along with the receipt, she looked at it and said "I don't like ny drivers licensed" then said the photo do not look like me. She told me she could not do the exchange because of this. I have been shopping here all the time, I could not believe the way in which this person spoke to me with people waiting in line to checkout, it was so embarassing. She had pulled up the sale on the register but did not complete the transaction because of my ny state id. It was enough that I had a receipt and an unopened item. The manager here is the most unfriendly, racist, unprofessional person I have ever came in contact with. By the way, I left her the item and walked away, I am not the type to argue.

filthy background music

Several times in the past week I have gone to the dollar general by my house. The background music is a...

rude managers

This is the worst store I have been in as a dollar general customer. The stores isle is crowed you can never...

very unprofessional conduct

While standing in line waiting for a cashier to cash out, there was three of us in line at the time. Three dollar general employees come walking up talking. The next thing you know is (I believe she was the manager) the one started yelling at one of the other girls and making threats. "i am the manager here I can make you work everynight, every weekend, and can also make it so you want to quit. I am 54 years old and could not believe what I was actually seeing and hearing while waiting in line to cash out in a place of bussiness like that. That was not a good seen and will not return so I don't have to see anything like that again.

A conseerned shopper
Joanne

• Li
    Litl Feb 18, 2010

What did Corporate Office say when you called them? Or Department Of Labor?

Corporate Office

100 Mission Ridge

Goodlettsville, TN 37072

(615) 855-4000

Or National Contact Center for Department Of Labor 1-866-4-USA-DOL

store operations

I went into the mt. Zion, il dollar general store as a last ditch effort to find a material I needed for a...

termination for no apparent reasons and no evidence of action

I was recently employed at this location and was accused of something that was brought to my attention that led me to my termination. The manager and assistant manager had it planned to fire me due to I was dating the assistant managers daughter and when we broke up for me to go back to my family, they harrassed me at my job and as well at other locations. The store assistant manager the mother of my ex girlfriend and her son are both employed at this store which is a matter of conflict of interest, as well as when the daughter and the mother wrote statements expalining that I had stolen a camera, with no evidence and as well as their complaints resulted in anger becuase i would not get back with their daughter, the accused me of the matter, however it was explained that the daughter was the one who stole the camera and the mother who is the assistant manager let her walk out wiht the merchandise. No one never investigated the issue they just terminated me, I even agreed to a lie detector test. They just terminated me for no reason and how can they and receive information and staements from a non employee and the mother of the person giving the statement. Blackmale!!!

• Mo
    MoronsAtWork Feb 08, 2010

Look up your state laws about businesses - some states do not need to have a "right to fire" policy. I live in Arizona and we do not have a "right to fire" policy. That gives any company any right to pay you what they want (even if under minimum wage) and gives them the rights to fire you with or without a notice of why they fired you. I would assume given the example you've given this rule would also apply to your state.

• De
    DEBRA IN OKLAHOMA Feb 20, 2010

EVERYONE HAS RIGHTS. YOU NEED TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION OR THE HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION.

non-payment for hours worked

Monday, February 1, 2010

During the month of August 2009, I worked for Dollar General in North Arlington, NJ. In July they sponsored a Job Fair at their new location in North Arlington. On August 14, I began training with the Manager at that time, Pete Fox. On August 18, I actually began working at the North Arlington Location. On Tuesday, August 18, 2009, I worked from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM without a lunch break, a total of 6 Hours; on Wednesday, August 19 I worked from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM with no meal break, a total of 4 hours, on Thursday, August 20 I worked from 6:00 AM – 11:00 AM again no meal break a total of 5 hours; Friday August 21, I was out sick. On Saturday, August 22, I worked from 4:00 AM – 9:00 AM without a meal break, a total of 5 hours. On Monday, August 24, I worked from 4:00 AM -11:00 AM without a meal break for a total of 7 hours On Tuesday, August 25, I was off. On Wednesday, August, 26 I again worked from 4:00 AM – 11:00 AM with no meal break for a total of 7 hours. It was on this day that I was told that they had hired too many sales people, and that I was one of those being let go. At that time I was told that I would receive two checks for the hours that I had worked, I asked if I could pick them up, and was told to stop in the following Friday to do just that. When I asked for my check I was told that it had been mailed to my home address. Since I was terminated from this establishment, there has been a change in the Management at this location. On Thursday, January 21, 2010, I telephoned the new manager Ron and made an inquiry about my missing check. At that time, he stated that he would have to investigate my claim. He took my Social Security Number and stated to me that he would be in contact with the previous manager Pete Fox, and that he would get back to me. It is now February 1, 2010, and, I have heard nothing from either the former manager, nor the current manager regarding my back pay. Since making these inquiries; I did receive my tax forms from their central office. This tax document shows that my earnings while with them to be $330.00. The only payment I actually received was an earlier check for $120.00. Thusly $330.00 - $120.00 = $210.00 that I am still owed as payment for the hours that I actually worked. I am tired of playing “telephone tag” with these people; the evidence is clear, by the very tax documents that “their” payroll department sent to me. This document unequivocally demonstrates that I am owed this compensation.
I would appreciate any assistance that you might provide to help resolve this matter.

• Li
    Litl Feb 02, 2010

What did Corporate Office say when you called them?

Corporate Office

100 Mission Ridge

Goodlettsville, TN 37072

(615) 855-4000

Or NCDOL 1-800-NC-LABOR (625-2267) ?

• Ca
    caybo Feb 03, 2010

Call the corporate office. Also you can ask to talk to the regional manager, where the store is located. I would also call labor relations in your state. Believe me Dollar General makes a lot of mistakes. I use to be a manager at one.

district and store management

First off, I would like to express my sick distaste in the entire company of Dollar General for the following...

dress code

It is ridiculous that I work for a company that forces you to beg for donations from customers that not only...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices