Dish Networktermination over aht

S

I was with dish network for a year and 2 months. their pamphlet states you pretty much just need 1 yr of customer service exp. which I did. I never worked at a call center before nor am I really good with computers. I was still learning how to type and talk at the same time still. the training was ineffective in my opinion. there were many techinal/billing issues that was very unclear as to what the solution would be. all stats were good except aht (average handle time). it wasnt like I was chit chatting on the phone. many times you need someone to help and their isnt a supervisor in sight. your dealing with senior citizens terminology : clicker as opposed to remote. many customers having 2, 3 4 issues on one call. using aftercall was discouraged from being used at all to take a break, when you were just screamed at by hostile customer upset because they have no signal. for the first six months I was pretty nervous about getting terminated for a non negotiable. they have a customer satisfaction survey a caller takes when finished speaking with agent. 5 is the best score. 1 is the worst. a senior citizen gave me a one because I was supposed to call him back after doing some troubleshooting off the phone, which I tried. spent 5 minutes trying to get a hold of the customer. left detailed notes on the account as to the situation. the phone would ring 12 times. but still, I got a 1 for something out of my control and can affect your metrics in a big way. for quality assurance I got 10 points taken off my overall score for not resolving customer issue. which I did. the person who monitored my call stated that I did not resolve customers issue because I did nt leave detailed notes on the account. but the customer needed a replacement receiver. which is what I did. account shows my id number including the time the ra was sent to the customer. the score was never overturned. I can honestly say I was miserable. when I was terminated, they called me to the front. they sent someone to gather my belongings. I was not allowed to go back to my desk. they went in my desk. tossed all my personal stuff in a cardboard box and had it waiting for me at the frontdesk. I ve never been fired before. it definitely was an experience. it taught me a lot. that working at dish network was not about making sure customers issues are resolved but to hurry off the phone to get to next customer. thank you dish network, and there is no sarcasm when I say this, that you taught me a valuable lesson in life: that anyone is expendable even if they are doing the right thing. I wasnt fired for going against company policies. I wasnt fired for being absent. I was fired because I took a little extra time to make sure I was doing everything the right way. you' have forced me to push myself. and I have. where im working for a company that relies on helping people. discretion to anyone seeking employment with dish. its a demanding environment. stressful environment. one that gets rewarded with ice cream and candy. food to keep you glued to your computer. their metric system needs to be looked into. its really unfair. and trust me to those in the elusive coporate office, im not the only one in your call centers that feel this way. I challenge you. to do our jobs for 4 weeks. and see how you fair.

• Gr
    griffin.schulz May 23, 2012

Bahahaha, you are a joke dude. I work at the Tulsa call center also (the one near Walmart? Yeah). They are difficult metrics sometimes. But they re ALWAYS monitoring and editing the standards for metrics, such as AHT, CSAT, and QA requirements.

I too struggle with AHT! But you don't hear anyone else crying! Just like that the previous comment: it is all about efficiency and effort. I mean, you could get butt-hurt every time a customer was angry or dissatisfied. But just try to resolve te issue or tell them the facts, because ultimately if their request violates business policy, it usually is not our fault. Also, too you have to consider how they feel as the customer towards us, because at one point in time your were customer unhappy with a service. You also have to consider that now that you are/were an agent how it feels to be the CSR more than a customer, you understand more now how we agents work (it's a JOB!) and how you tried to deal with an agent prior to ever becoming one.

So if you're going to complain because you didn't push yourself to be more efficient for the company and more compatible for the customer (for resolution purposes), then buddy you're in the wrong business. In every job, your going to have a different animal. The question is... Are you up for the JOB? The WORK it will take? Because no matter what industry you're in, YOU have to mold and train YOURSELF for the industry.

So to clarify, YOU were the root cause for not meeting company STADARDS, and it was not your employers fault that a CUSTOMER gave YOU a bad CSAT. So you non-negotiable was something you ultimately caused.

If you're really in Tulsa, try working at Alloraca (sp.), especially if you think Dish is bad.

• Lu
    luke4811 Oct 15, 2011

Dude really? Your just mad that you were not good at your job. First of all your AHT (average handle time) is the one metric you have complete control of! Your acting like you are being singled out when really you were not doing your job effectively! If your team can meet the standard and help 14million customers then you should too! Second of all, CSAT's are something you can control as well. If the customer was happy enough with the initial service you provided then they won't give you a bad score. And if that elderly man did give you a bad score, then the other customers that will score you will make up the difference for one bad score if you do your job correctly. There is no excuse for your poor performance so quit blaming others, you were bad at your job so get over it.

Finally, as for you saying " THOSE IN THE ELUSIVE COPORATE OFFICE, IM NOT THE ONLY ONE IN YOUR CALL CENTERS THAT FEEL THIS WAY", Grow up! I have been a fronline agent, granted it wasn't easy every call, but it isn't as hard as you complain about! I worked for the Loyalty team, and that was tough but we still helped the customers and did it when the guidelines for performance. The corporate office primary mission has always been that of the satisfaction of both employee and subscriber alike. If I was lying then we wouldn't have any customers! As for rewards!? You need something else other than a paycheck as an incentive to keep a job? What are you a child? It is a job, and it requires efficiency!!! But for those who perform in AHT (average handle time), CSAT (that's customer satisfaction surveys! not impossible to make a customer happy!), and Quality Assurance, then you are entitled to a reward for your hard work. You obviously didn't perform, so of course you need some ice cream and candy to help get you through the day.

So in closing I just want to say, Grow UP! You didn't get fired because you were trying to do your job. You got fired because you couldn't do your job. You were not able to complete your work on time, and you failed to satisfy the customers. I am sure you were fired for other reasons, but obviously you are excluding that information to moan about everything else. I am happy that you got another job, just make sure you don't slack off there because if you do the same thing there that you did at Dish then I would keep the wanted ads very close with an updated copy of your resume.