Menu
Home Satellite & Cable TV DISH Network fraudulent charges made by dish

DISH Network review: fraudulent charges made by dish

Author of the complaint
12:01 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

First off, I have never spoken with people who know less about the job they are doing than those at Dish Network. In addition to being ignorant on how to help their customers; they are crooks. They charge for services and equipment that you do not have and have no way of knowing how ( or make the choice to play dumb) to fix it once you catch them in lies. I absolutely tell everyone I know to stay far away from these scandals unless you want to get burned. I will crusade against this company until my last breath so others do not have to go through the frustrations and fraud recovery that I have.

More DISH Network complaints & reviews

DISH Network - As a former employee let me tell you
DISH Network - false advertising, wrong billing, poor customer service
DISH Network - Dish network receiver equipment scam!!!
DISH Network - dish network pay per view fraudulent charges
DISH Network - ignorant representatives, overcharging and scamming my account
92 comments
Aug 18, 2014 4:51 pm EDT

Please do not deal with dish network they charge your card without authorization and lie about a refund they will put your credit or debit card on auto pay without permission Run far away from these crooks I wish I had

Jan 11, 2008 12:00 am EST

I only installed Dish network a week ago and have had a lot of problems. Was told I would get some regional sports networks but they didn't come in so I called, spent 10 hours + on phone with different technical support people, everyone kept saying I should get these channels, restarting, unplugging and having both my land line and my cell phone batteries die out while I was on one of the multiple holds.. finally I was told that I don't get ANY regional sports network.

Why couldn't the first person tell me that? Finally I spoke to a supervisor and downgraded my package since I only upgraded to get these channels. This was 2 days after it was installed and low and behold I get my bill and it still has the more expensive package.

Oh and I'm being charged 10 bucks a month for programming access fee because the guy didn't hook up my phone line and told me to get a wireless phone sender, which would have cost over $100. I installed the phone lines myself and told dish this, but again, still showed up on my first bill.

There customer service is terrible, but after all this, I am using their on line chat because at least this way I can copy down everything they have been telling me. Every time I call in, it's a different person with different information.

I feel cheated and would return to cable had I not already switched my internet service from cable to DSL already... Guess who is NOT going to continue with their service after 18 months!

Sep 01, 2012 12:17 am EDT

I'm super upset because we have been looking forward to watching The Walking Dead all year. We pay good money to have dish and we don't even get our favorite channel? They better get on board, that's one show I don't want to miss and there going to be the ones missing out on customers who have been with them for 11 yrs.

O
Jun 25, 2012 4:46 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I was on a "pause" for 2 months. Then I turned service back on. When asking to be reconnected, the person who did that automatically added programing I never had to begin with. Adding more monies to my bill. Needless to say I immediately
put on pause once more.

Sep 14, 2011 4:05 am EDT

The worst customer service! Your wait time is 3 days! Even the online chat took for ever...hire more people! What a novel idea especially in this economy! No one want to wait forever!

C
Apr 27, 2011 2:13 pm EDT

WE HAVE DISH FOR AT LEAST 5 YEARS AND THE PRICE KEPPS GOING UP
I CALL AND COMPLAIN AND THEY GIVE US A REDUCED RATE THEN IT GOES UP AGAIN, I AM JUST FED UP ARE THEY ALLOWED TO RIP PEOPLE OFF LIKE THIS?

Apr 22, 2011 6:55 pm EDT

Twice now have had trouble cancelling service. Dish wants to squeeze out a couple more months from the customer on request for termination. After all, it cost them nothing anyway if they can extend service and no one is watching and they can get a few more dollars in turning over to collection. They are absolutely shameful.

C
Mar 23, 2011 5:26 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

OMG the worst experience of my entire Life! what the hell was I thinking when I got myself involved with this crew?
need I say more...if you are considering reconsider and call somebody else!

R
Mar 22, 2011 5:40 pm EDT

I have had 2 cable boxes go out on me and had over 200 programs saved on them.I call dish network and they dont even care about the situation..there equipment is either old or just junk.they said they would send me the third box and i would have to pay for the overnight shipping..thats how they treat there customers

Mar 05, 2011 7:47 pm EST

Dish Network gave us new equipment that cost $300. However, in less than 3 months it was out dated. Then they charged us again -- another $200 -- for equipment that didn't work half the time.

I can't see why we let these companies get away with that and they can charge us interest on our bill. But we can't get a refund or credit for faulty equipment.

Feb 13, 2011 6:15 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My regular billing rate was $32, 00 (incl taxes) but I noticed that Dish had debited my card for $49.19. This was an increase of 53% which I had not planned on. I am going to making my card restricted on the amount that they may charge. Please note that no notification was given to alert me to the increase. Dish has steadily increased my rate from $19.99 to the present.
Fred Worth

Feb 12, 2011 4:14 pm EST

Have no address to mail payment to these people. I do not want to talk to them on the phone as I feel they are insipid, they raise my already high blood and anger me to the point of yelling at them.

B
Feb 07, 2011 7:02 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

CONTRACT TERMS ORIGIONALLY WHERE SET FROM TWELVE MONTHS YOU WANT TO CHAGE IT TO SIX MONTHS AND INCREASE MONTHLY PACKAGE BY FIVE DOLLARS. IT'S OUR BELEIF THAT YOU WON'T HONNER THE FIRST CONTACT YOU WONT FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE NEW CONTRACT YOU'RE PROPOSING NOW. WE WILL CONTACT THE BETTER BUSINESS BUEREAL. WE FEEL YOU'VE BROKEN OUR TRUST IN YOUR COMPANY.

D
Jan 03, 2011 11:09 pm EST

they are charging me an early disconnect fee, after their receivers quit working three times, leaving mewithout T.V. for a week at a time.

Dec 08, 2010 11:47 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

after been almost 3 years client with dish network, one day i call to report the my receiver was not working they never tell me about the it was a charge and after 3 months they send me a bill of $200 . what kind of company is this, they do not tell the client about charges and after months they send you higher bills>>>

P
Dec 04, 2010 6:18 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Poor satellite signal no picture bad Hi Def picture verry poor customer service
i waited for 3 hrs for a customer service tech and a field service rep the service tech showed up but the field service rep was a no sho i have had 3 VIP722K reciever's
and still not working i called dish to close out my act they said no and want to charge me 366.00 for early term fee

Oct 05, 2010 10:20 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

dish network dropped FX network with no warning . As a paying customer I had no say in the way the it was handled. My attempts to complain about the situation fell on deaf ears. Now I have the hassle of switching satellite companies and I still ended up missing my favorite show, Sons of Anarchy.

Y
Jul 26, 2010 11:54 am EDT

Dish continues to add fees for services that were originally advertised as free. They are the worst at not showing up for Service appointments when scheduled. In addition, their customer service people will make up anything to get you off the phone. This, I was told, came down from Charlie Ergen, as they try to increase profitability by screwing their subscribers. After nine years having the local cable company out today.

Jul 22, 2010 4:54 pm EDT

I got a bill for $112.93, and I do not see how my bill is that high. I have always paid it on time and in full. There is no reason why my bill should be that much. Someone needs to either explain to me why my bill is that high, or they are about to lose my service with them. I do not have a problem with paying my bills if I owe it, but there is no way I owe that much when my bill is only suppose to be $70.00 a month.

X
Jul 20, 2010 7:26 am EDT

I am very disappointed with this. This is not what I was promised or agreed too. I was to receive 2 receivers at no charge. Free DVR. I was never told of any protection plan. I was never told of DVR service fee. Now I am being charged for this. I do not think you represented service as it is billed. I think you have totally misrepresented this service.

Jun 14, 2010 11:07 am EDT

I have paid for two receivers from Dish Network. One of them has not been working for a long time. They could not fix it over the phone and they insist that I have to pay a fee if they send a technician to fix it. This is the worst service I have ever experienced. If I can not enjoy the service I have paid for, I should not be charged for a fee for fixing it.

Mar 15, 2010 3:43 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Is it the contracting firm's responsibility to screen all their technician to ensure that they do not have a criminal background ? If it was found out that an employee of the contracting firm is currently on probation for the last 2.5 year for stealing and this was never disclosed to dish network what action would be taken ?

Sep 22, 2009 4:32 pm EDT

I REPORTED THIS PROBLEM OVER A YEAR AGO. SEVERAL TIMES I MIGHT ADD. THE PROBLEM IS THE MY PORT FOLIO
FUNCTION WILL NOT RETAIN THE STOCK SYMBOLS AFTER I ENTER THEM. WHEN I REPORTED THIS OVER A YEAR AGO
NO EFFORT WAS MADE TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM. I REPORTED IT AGAIN TODAY ON THEIR WEBSITE SO WE WILL SEE IF
I FARE ANY BETTER THIS TIME.

Apr 15, 2009 4:06 pm EDT

dish network is a fraud they will take from you and you will not even know it. If you like a dry hard screwing than get an account with dish network. They lie, Steal, cheat and will ruin you financially they are the greediest ### I have ever dealt with in my life They will ### You and there response is(It is not our responsibility).

G
Jan 12, 2009 7:31 pm EST

I'm upgrading to HD TV from regular through their add. Now they are going to charge me $50 for this. It should be free of charge since I'm upgrading, they're already charging me more for changing my receiver to HD. I payed installation charges when I first signed up with them. Direct TV will sign me up for free, to sign up with them.

Oct 31, 2008 6:48 am EDT

I had problems with customer service, and I canceled my account. When I returned the receivers by mistake I placed also my DVD player in the box. They received everything and now they do not want to return the DVD player back. The reason is: Because I canceled my account. It is abusive and illegal.

This in unfair business.

S
Oct 14, 2008 4:45 pm EDT

I have been Charged $10 per month
for 2 years now for refusing to hook up telephone lines to two TV's. I feel this charge is fraudulent and they owe this money back .
Has anyone else out there had this same problem?

May 20, 2008 10:08 am EDT

This company is horrible... they charged me a restart fee when i never even had my dish turned off.i also got over charged for the package. I can never watch tv half the times cause of the fact there reception sucks... i have had nothing but stress since i went with them... i want them gone i don't want the service no more. I want to be realized from the the contract... they lie and are rude and childish down their...

L
Mar 13, 2008 11:00 am EDT

I called Dish network last month to cancel my service. I was told the equipment was mine to keep. Then recently they took $700.00 out of my checking account for the equipment. I immediately send the equipment back 2-3 weeks ago and i still have not gotten a refund. Plus I have had checks bounce and I have been assessed NSF fees because of the money being taken from me.

Jan 15, 2008 12:00 am EST

Just suffice to say these fraudsters should be sued to the full extent of the law. The BBB has looked at our case(among hundreds of others) dish accepted their approach and promised to repay us... they have started to do that but some of the fraudulent charges they made have been omitted and I cannot get then to answer my complaint.

STAY CLEAR! BE ADVISED, THEY WILL SWINDLE YOU WITH THEIR FREE OFFERS.

K
Nov 02, 2014 11:09 pm EST

I signed up for Dish Network 1 month ago and have already lost all of the Turner channels I watched every day! They stink!

D
Oct 15, 2012 7:29 pm EDT

They cancelled AMC from my package without notice. When we called we were speaking with someone who could barely speak English. They hung up on me when I asked to speak to a supervisor. They need to be regulated. Avoid them they are worse than Time Warner. Which is hard to believe.

S
Aug 05, 2011 2:09 am EDT

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau at bbb.org. I filed a case and had thier customer service people calling me finally to get the false charges reversed.

R
Sep 18, 2010 12:18 pm EDT

A class action suit should be filed against this company for their confusing billing and contract language, their unconsciounable attitude and lack of service. How do they get away with changing fees, services, and program packages once a contract is signed?

E
Jul 23, 2010 6:21 pm EDT

Telll you they are coming to fix your satillite and do not show up!Havent had good tv for two months!Called them several times.TERRIBLE customer service! Liers!I refuse to pay for something I do not get! They breach the contract by no customer service.

Jul 14, 2009 10:27 am EDT

WE GET ONE TO TWO CALLS-TELEMARKETING EVERY DAY..IT DOENST STOP 24-7 WE ARE TRYING TO RUN A BUSINESS... AND BETWEEN THEM AND OTHERS ABUSING THE "NO CALL LIST" ITS DRIVING US CRAZY

THEY NEED A CLASS ACTION SUIT TO STOP

B
Apr 19, 2009 7:59 pm EDT

I receive at least 8 phone calls each day from a Dish Network telemarketer from the phone number: [protected]. It is always the same guy...same accent. I tell him that I already use Dish Network. I have used it for 8 years and that I want him to take me off any call lists he has. He still calls every day.

Apr 14, 2009 6:48 pm EDT

Sales person called and was so rude and told swore at us and hung up. He is the one who called us. This company represented itself as Dish Network but is not.

Does anyone know what company it is in Winneta CA? I need to call them back and want to file a complaint.

Thanks

Sep 14, 2008 12:08 pm EDT

Horrible Customer Service Rep!

See:

www.shameondishnetwork.wordpress.com

for the full story.

G
Dec 27, 2007 12:00 am EST

Company would not reimburse me a credit fo $68. I have called 5 times and requested the credit but no credit has ever been issued. All callers state processing check but never comes. I will not be put through to a manager and i get hung up on when i call.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

1114 complaints