Direct TVbad customer service

I am leasing my two receivers, had the dish installed by a Direct tv tech. My main receiver had been replaced 3 times within the first two months. Because the service was so new, they did not charge, and I must have been one of those "valued customers".In the past couple months, about one year since the initial install, my main receiver will not change channels or acces any menus through the controller or on the device itself. Upon calling I was told I would have to pay $50 for a service call, and an additional $20 for shipping if the box needs replacing. This is all for equipment I do not own. Also, because the dish was not installed corectly, I lose Hd and some channals about eighty percent of the time, rain or shine. The only way around this is to pay $5 a month for a protection plan, for equipment owned by Direct tv and leased by myself. They did say I can risk injury by going on the roof, and tweeking the dish myself. This is almost like the elect. company telling me to pay or raise my main electric wires myself. Both customer service and agent, and manager, we're only a product of Direct tv training of going by the book, and repeating the same " well it will cost $50 to have a techni..." But at the end of the call, he did ask "Were all your questions answered", and " We value your business." So everything is better.

• Fl
    Flattering Jan 09, 2014

I have subscribed to Direct Tv for over 5 years and have autopsy so I am never late with a payment. Direct Tv called me recently and offered me a special promotion to receive Cinemax and Showtime for 5 dollars a month. The bill turned out tone an additional $20 per month but I was ok with that. What I did not know and did not agree to is thatDirect Tv put me on a 12 month agreement without telling me. When I questioned that's was basically told too bad. Direct Tv is the most unscrupulous company I have ever delt with and I would not recommend them to anyone

Janet Hendrickson Jan 13, 2013

Today is going to be a bit of a rant about customer service and how it can impact choice of who stays and who should go.. Creating procedures for a company to operate by is extremely important. Understanding the impact of those procedures is vital to the long term health of your business. The impact those decisions can have on negative press and future long term business is something we need to think about every time we deal with a customer, potential customer, or former customer and long time customers.
    The best thing that Directv has going for them is for New customers! . I have several accounts with Directv (maybe not much longer). Yes, I like my channels and have always been pleased with them. That is not what is turning me away from Directv. In recent months I decided to have Directv installed at another location. Free installation, Okay, Free Sports, Okay, good price and rebate???? I thought the rebates would start automatically, this didn't happen and received a very high bill!! I called immediately and was told I needed to do my rebate online...Okay I took care of that. but the bill was extremely high...Now here is the negative Customer Service...All Directv Customer Service employees should all be on the same page .which means the correct answers the first time all the time!. Not so, each and every call you are told something different.. Now how would you feel, angry, frustrated, deceived...This is how I feel now. ".Good Customer relations continues" Shocked, I had problems with billing, my fault resolved issue.. Called more that 3 times and spoke to customer service to correct rebates and the billing. Don't mess up on your billing!! Warning, you cannot even make a payment on the Internet with a credit card, you are blocked.. And if you make a payment when you called them it's additional charge to pay... Finally 3 months later...rebates started. Decided that the cost of the programming was extremely high, wanted to make some changes..I called and spoke to a Customer Service Rep. She gave me choices that I could make that would be good for us, .and I also told her that I had one extra DVR at my other account that was never used as we placed an order for 2 additional DVRs in our home. One was through a call we received at our home to have another DVR free of charge, I agreed, I also explained that I only had one line in the room where this DVR is being put. It was stated to me that it would work. Received the DVR and tried to hook it up myself, wouldn't work. Called technical support and they explained that I needed to have the second line if I was to record programs and watch others at the same time, well of course, that's why we get DVRs. I was finally talked into adding another DVR which we would pay for and the Directv technician would run 2 lines. I had my daughter here as I had to work. Technician showed up and installed one DVR and line not two as I was suppose to have done. Assuming he was using the DVR we already received he installed one that he brought with him... He didn't run the second line nor install the DVR that was here. So here sits the DVR again not even out of the box. So that is how we get to this part of the story. We, myself and husband decide what we wanted for the other house and called to make our changes. .We wanted the Choice Xtra that came with a DVR. Called Customer Service and told them we wanted to change the HD DVR with a regular DVR that came with the package and could still keep us in our agreement. So, we packaged up the HD Receiver and sent it back. In the mean time I bring the DVR from my first account to this account and hook it up. Wouldn't work, called Directv and they said, Oh you owe a bill and we cannot put this DVR on the account until bill is paid. Okay, we wait again. Make payment call back . Customer Service rep states the I must now return this DVR as it's on my other account deactivated.. And now I need to order a New DVR and pay $99.00 for Activation and installation, the reason for this is cost of receiver and installation of which is $49.00 and $50.00 for the receiver itself. Was never told this. I had already made the change to the package but, was never quoted and additional cost..So now I have no DVR at all, Maybe my best choice is Dish Network, I don't worry over the HD I have great pictures with out it and I will get my and I mean my own local news channels.. Long time customer is leaving Directv... Customers beware...Fed up with Directv...

• Ra
    Raul Delgado Oct 04, 2010

Lately I have been trying to keep my Directv account open, but due to my initial problems beyond my control, Directv having my wrong address, and ill advice from a Directv customer service representative, it seems that I have no where else to go.
    A few months ago I had my Directv account disconnected due to no payment on my part. After the disconnection I was waiting for a final bill and the box that is normally sent to a customer in order to return the DVR. During the wait time I never received the box, so because of Directv policy the remaining balance on the account and the cost to the DVR were automatically charged to my bank account. Initially I contacted Directv and asked why I was being charged for the DVR because I intended to keep Directv services and just needed to return one of the DVRs. The customer service representative told me that Directv had sent me a box but it had been returned back undeliverable. During the conversation it was discovered that Directv had the wrong address. My address is 705 Lapis and Directv had 705 Latis, thus the mail service was not delivering.
    I advised the customer service representative that I intended to reconnect and would send back the DVR once I received the box. I further advised him that I would reconnect my services in about a week due to payday. I asked him how do I go about getting my money refunded for the DVR charge. He advised me that Directv does not refund money and the process to credit the account usually took about 30 days. The representative further said that the quickest way would be to get my money refunded through my bank. So thats what I did.
    About a week and a half after talking to the representative I reconnected my Directv services with no problems. When I went to pay for my services this month I noticed that I had a outstanding balance of $259.00. Not knowing what the charges were for I initially gave one partial payment. Upon further looking into my account I realized it was the balance due to the reversal payment done by my bank. Realizing this I paid the amount owed.
    Yesterday my services were once again disconnected as it was explained to me Directv will hold all credit card payments for 60 days before processing. The only option I have now is to pay via money gram of western union. And I was advised again to have the bank refund my money in order to make the payment.
    I believe this is an unfair act. Initially I was charged unjustly by Directv for a DVR I intended to return but he company had misspelled the address and never sent me the box to return it. Then I was given bad advice by one of your customer service representatives to have the bank refund my money because Directv would only credit my account and not refund money. Any company would see this as a situation that is their fault and remedy the problem fast instead of putting their customers on restrictions due to wrong information or bad advice by one of its representatives. If I would have known that refunding my money would have done this I would have seeked other avenues. By my actions you can see that I’m trying hard to keep my service, but I only feel that Directv is pushing me away to cable. This is an unfair and bad business practice by Directv. Hopefully you can remedy this other than me being put on further restrictions.
    I emailed Directv a complaint stating the above. After a few hours I got an email asking me to call them back in order to remedy the problem. When I called them back I was directed to the Directv Manager of the Fraud Department who goes by the name of John. I advised me that the decision was final and that Directv would not reconnect me and would hold my money for 60 days. I once again told him that the decision to get my refund through my bank only came about after one of their representatives advised me to do so. He in so many words told me that they are not responsible for what their customer service representatives say because they do not know policy. He further continued by saying that there is no documentation as to their representative saying that to me. In other words calling me a liar. Throughout the conversation he would continue going back to saying that I was the one trying to hide something and committing fraud by trying to cover up the bank refund by making another payment with a credit card. I told him that no one had told me that I could not make a credit card payment. Of course he went back to calling me a liar and that I was informed when I reconnected. I reminded him that all conversions are recorded and to look up the conversation where the representative only advised me that I will have to set up a automatic payment account, to which I had no problem.
    This of corse has been a very bad experience. First the automatic withdrawal to my account that was brought about due to poor communication and wrong information on the Part of Directv. Horrible customer service calling me a lair and involved in committing fraud. I have switched back to cable and never want to have any of my hard earned money to ever go to Directv.

• Te
    texas consumer Aug 07, 2010

I am fighting the same complaint with the cable and shoddy "professional installation". The tore a huge hole in my wall and left a large crack running across the wall from the crack. Customer Service sucks.
    Sent complaint to corporate office. Try these emails: [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]

Forbes lists these individuals as CEOs and senior executives at Directv - Maybe is their inbox gets flooded with consumer complaints something will be done.

Angry and vocal Jul 28, 2010

I moved to a new address and had my service transferred. A friend stayed at my new place while the technician installed the service. The nitwit technician put black cable wires over every door frame in my place. My walls are pastel colored and the door frames are white. Why would any thinking person put black wire in ANY home? I called customer service and complained. I was told that I had two options: buy my own wire and have them install it which will cost $75 or cancel my service and pay a $300 termination fee. I told them they were crooks and deceitful. They just gave me that stupid little spiel that basically adds up to "that's not our problem-sorry you got screwed". They have offered no solution and are the problem in totality. I HATE Direct TV. That stupid mess does not even work if there are too many clouds int he sky or if a drop of rain falls. If you are looking for service, look elsewhere, Direct TV is a JOKE!

• Dl
    dlloyd265 Sep 12, 2009

One of my four receivers stopped working. I called to inform Directv.
    They told me that they would gladly send a replacement, for a fee of 19.99 and a service agreement (which I never had for the previous 9 years) would be contingent. I was in total diagreement with this arrangement for several reasons, (which did'nt really matter much to them), so I decieded to discontinue my service immediately. The service rep assured me that my service was discontinued effective at midnight. that was four month ago and I am still receiving a bill for the service that I thought was discontinued. I put in a request again to day (after having to pay for the unwatched service, no receivers connected, and no refund for unwatched service.) FRANKLY I feel that they sent a signal to that box to blow it out so that I would have to receive a new one, so that they could place the service agreement. IF so I think that it's very poor marketing skills. All this is because I refused an upgrade on the old receivers. I heard somewhere " If It ain't BROKE, don't fix it.

• Yv
    Yvonne Funtila Mar 22, 2009

Boy, aren't they terrible. I'm having the same problem where they said something wasn't posted back in August 08. Now that I finally woke up and cancelled my services with this company, now they are trying to take monies due me. They also went into my account and took out a big sum of money that left me in the hold for 2 months. Now that I am almost breaking even again, they once again want to take money from me. I refuse to pay for something that I didn' t order or watched.

Customer service is very poor. They must not pay these people very well because they are totally rude and unprofessional. One of them actucally hung up on me and kept trying to argue with me. He refused to give me a supervisor. I can understand why. I asked for a supervisor and i was told that she would call me back at her convenience. I wonder if we could get someone to really look into this company and their policies?

• Ta
    Tanita Dec 09, 2008

I've been a new customer for 1 month. Over that time, I have, not exaggeration, spoken with them 10 times. I've had the wrong parts installed, installation issues (broken outlets), products added that I did not sign up for, service cancelled, fraud check, unbundled service (I had bought through Verizon's bundled service).Today was the kicker -- over an hour to get things straightened out -- they wrongly blamed Verizon (who has been awesome through this). No credit and really no care that I've had to go through all this.

• Ph
    Phillis Nov 27, 2008

I have been a customer of Direct TV for several years. I have always paid my bill on time and although it took me over a year to get the billing streightened out, I have had few other problems with them.
    I am retired and live on a limited income. I pay all of my bills on the 15 th of the month including Direct Tv. This month, my car needed repairs so I called Direct TV among a few others and told them I would be making payment on the 26th instead. The girl I spoke to said no problem, she would notate my account. On the morning of 11/25 my TV was shut off!! I called Direct TV and was told no notation was made and that I was late making payment. I explained that the payment was scheduled to be electronically delivered on the 26th. Their attitude was we will turn it on when payment is posted to your account... in 7 - 10 days. The money has been deducted by my bank and it shows that it was received by direct TV but so far not "posted" to my account. Tomorrow I plan to call the corporate office in California and do some serious complaining. What else do I have to do? I can't watch tV.

• Ni
    Nikki Pfunder Nov 27, 2007

I understand your situation. I work for Directv. Call [protected] and the Customer Installation Support "SHOULD" be able to locate your tracking # through FedEx and escalate the correct information, if the $400 non return fee and not already been credited back to you.

• Am
    Amanda S Nov 13, 2007

First off I want to say I was told I was an A+++ customer, The last rep I talked to told me I was a quote "reoccurring problem customer" well I guess I can take my reoccurring $200 dollar a month payment somewhere else. I find that very offensive. My Husband and I are both Retail store managers and this is not how you treat your customers.

I had a HR20-700 HD Plus DVR "Paid full Price" That went bad and directv sent out a replacement. I put the receiver in their return box with their return label and dropped it off at FedEx. They Sent a beat up refurbished unit that had more problems than the first one. I go to call on this unit and find a $400.00 charge on my bill for Non Returned Equipment. I have spent over 10 hours on the phone with Directv this month with no resolve. They agree they have received this unit. They agree Directv is in the wrong after researching it for the $400.00 Charge, But are unable to refund my money because they are not authorized to refund that large of an amount. So it gets passed on to a special department, that you cannot TALK TO, AND HAS THE FINAL WORD. I was denied my refund. Another csr and 2 of her senior managers signed and agreed that directv was clearly in the wrong and the first escalation had the wrong information. Somebody can hit a button and a $400.00 charge appears on your bill but directv cannot fix it. So after a month and 3 refurbished HD DVR's I can finally watch my Sunday ticket and superfan that I pay over $100.00 for a month alone. OH but wait I still have a $400.00 wrong charge admitted by directv on my bill that they can't fix.