Costcorefund policy

K

I was so pissed off about this tonight that I wanted to cut up my Costco card. I bought two pairs of Bridgeport flannel lounge pants in a pack that has two pairs in it. They are XL. I wore one pair and really liked them. Then when I went to put on the second pair they didn't fit. I realized then that someone must have switched out that pair and replaced it with a size medium. So I went back to Costco to get a replacement pair.

First they told me that I had to go to the bin and find a replacement two pack and buy it and then they would take one pair out and reimburse me for it. I spent about 15 minutes going through them only to find that there were no XL left. I went back to the refund area and was told that I had only two options. One is that I could bring back the other pair that I like and have been wearing and have washed twice already, or keep both pairs-which really means that I would be end up paying double for my one pair. So if I bring back the pair that I have that I am happy with of course they will just throw it in the garbage. If I don't then I am paying double for them. That is so stupid! I asked why they couldn't just refund me half of what the two pairs cost so I would still be paying for one instead of throwing a pair in the garbage that I really like. Like I said, what a very stupid way of dealing with this.

Karim Dhanani Jun 02, 2016

I bought a 12 pack and paid $19.99 at Costco in Kennesaw GA two weeks ago. The next day, I found the same 12 pack across the street at Total Wine for $13.99. First, because I pay a membership, I expect the lowest price at Costco. Not only was it not the lowest, I paid 30% more for the privilege. I went to Costco and complained, I know they have a no return policy on alcohol, but they would even try to do a price match.

No more beer purchases at Costco.

KathrynL Dec 19, 2011

Since I started this and vented my frustrations with this company, I should report that they did in fact give me a refund. I made a complaint on their website at about the time that I wrote on here and they called me to offer me a full refund for the package and let me keep the other pair.
    I spend about an average of $300. per month at Costco and have done so for about 8 years. In that time I have spent about $30, 000. Costco seems to keep pretty good records of what people buy, return etc. In that time they might know that I have only once ever returned anything. For that reason they might realize that I probably wasn't trying to scam them and that someone other than me had made the switch in the products.
    I understand the thinking in the previous posts that I might be the thief and therefore how could they ever stop me once they let me get away with that once. I wonder what you might think should be done if a customer bought a four pack of something and found only three in it when they opened the box. (Don't bother answering, I don't really care.)
    Anyway, I'm glad that Costco decided I could be trusted with a little good will.

• Di
    dia3766 Dec 18, 2011

there is nothing wrong with the policy, no store would give a refund on a half pack of clothing It is unreasonable to think they would

KathrynL Dec 11, 2011

Ellen, if you look at it as you say, multiplied by hundreds, I still think that having a policy that allows me to get a 50% refund for the package is a win-win situation. I only pay for what I have. The pants I like don't have to be thrown in the garbage for no reason. Costco doesn't lose money and I walk away a happy customer. My expectation was that I pay for the pair that I keep and they refund me for the pair I return. That seems like a reasonable expectation to me and I am absolutely confused as to how you interpret their solution as minimizing their losses or my solution as them absorbing my loss. Anyway, I'm done venting. Still annoyed. I will probably keep the pants but never buy clothes at Costco again and I am losing my taste for shopping there at all.

KathrynL Dec 10, 2011

I wish it were possible to order online. Not so easy from South Korea without paying very high shipping charges.

KathrynL Dec 10, 2011

Please pardon my spelling mistake: "throw it in the garbage".

KathrynL Dec 10, 2011

This was my initial complaint: I appreciate the comments.
    Ellen you were right when you said this: "Sounds like they may have needed to ring up the new pack, open the pack to take out the new XL to give to customer, put the Medium back in the pack, refund the second pack, and send second pack back to the manufacturer.
    Although, if XL wax available, they could have done this without the second purchase. But it is a moot point since XL was not available."
    And also you were right when you said that the problem was caused by another customer. But still I think that they could have not made me pay the consequences since they are a big company.
    Another thing I didn't mention is that I live in South Korea and finding my size here is such a challenge, so my reluctance to part with the pair I bought and liked is real. I have to decide now whether to keep the pair I already am wearing knowing I am paying double for it or return it so they can through it in the garbage. Either way I am the loser in this and a very unhappy customer!!!