Walmart / double charged

I mistakenly swiped the wrong card while paying for my purchase. I caught my mistake and did not sign the authorization. I was told by the CSR (who was quite rude) that the transaction could not be backed up and I would have to recheck the order on the next register.

I ended up with smashed groceries (which they did offer to replace if I drove the 12 miles back to the store) and the transaction charged to both cards with an overlimit fee assessed on one. The CSM told me that I had authorized the charge to the card as soon as I swiped it. I believe that my signature is required for the charge to be authorized.

I never signed the authorization. Should I press fraud charges against Wal-Mart? They told me it will take 2 weeks to refund my card, but it was charged on the first business day.

Ma

Comments

• Br
      24th of May, 2009

You can't press charges when you made the mistake and gave the wrong card. Next time be more careful.

• Lc
      23rd of Jun, 2009

Once the card is swiped and the signature bar shows up, you have crossed into the land of no return. Transaction can't be stopped. Once you swiped, you petty much authorized the charge, signature or not. You don't sign online, either, but the charge goes through. By the way, reversing the charge can take 7-.10 days. That's not Walmarts policy, its the credit card company