Verizon Termination Fee / the most stupid unfair policy i've heard

I have a family plan with 3 lines. I only need only line so I contacted Verizon to ask about early termination fees for two of the lines.

One contract term expires in March and the other in April. I contacted them because I understood new consumer law states they had to pro rate the fee based on the expiration date of the contract. I am willing to pay a pro-rate termination fee that's fair but not $175 per line. This is the same for a contract expiring in 2 months as it is for a contract expiring in a year. This makes no sense.

I was told this only applied to new contracts dated November 2006 or after. This discriminates against one class of customer and is THE MOST STUPID UNFAIR POLICY I've heard about.

Verizon may think they're winning but I am cancelling my home phone line and in the process of moving to Cable for internet service. I will also move my business cellular service to another carrier. All told they get a lot of my money every month but I will never execute another contract with them.

I urge everyone under similar circumstances to log a complaint with the FCC and boycott Verizon.

Va

Comments

• Ri
      26th of Nov, 2007

Hi...
    I am having a great deal of trouble with Verizon.
    I am a 68 year old retired teacher with basic residential service about $25.00 a month.
    Verizon has added two fees to my account. A Dial Tone fee of $11.95 a month and a Voice Mail fee of $12.95.00 a month thus doubling my original monthly charge.
    For the past 5 months I have written on my bill when I sent it in asking Verizon to discontinue those fees to me....disconnecting my dial tone. I don't know what Voice Mail is...never had it...don't want it...and never agreed to have it.
    Today I called Verizon and was told that due to high volumn of calls my call could not be answered and I was disconnected.
    I called again after awhile and was put on hold. I waited 39 minutes then abandoned the effort.
    I went on line and e-mailed Verizon requesting a termination of my account.
    I put a note in my bill when I sent in payment and requested termination.
    My daughter tells me that requesting termination from Verizon by mail or note will not work.
    She tried calling Verizon and was told that due to high volume her call would not be answered then she was disconnected also.
    What do I do to get Verizon to disconnect my service.
    They are making it impossible for me to teminate.
    It's terrible how this company treats it customers....even Seniors.
    Richard Clark
    P

• Re
      21st of Apr, 2008

yes i have been trying to disconnect with them for 4 days now and all of 16 hours on hold and talking to dum dum persons . That if they could speeck english may have a chance in hell of trafring you to the right deprtment . no not going to happen. all i want to do is not have to ever call 1-800-483-4000 ever agin if you call to make a payment and yes i timed it 2 min. 12 sec. for them to get money from you . then when i ask to dissconnect . well needless to say i am on the phone now today i have been on hold for 3 hours and i have had to call back 2 times cause of dissconnect's on there end . like they pick up and hang up on you . why is it so hard . i am moving to comcast and i lost my phone number of 23 years because of something on there end so now i have a new number and 2 phone bills for i am unable to speeck with anyone to turn my old # off . and online you can do every thing but dissconnet service

upset in va
    Ginna

• Ke
      22nd of Sep, 2010

I too had BIG propblems with Verizon. My husband had internet service in PA when he was working there for several months and when he moved back to NJ he tried to cancel it. They said it would cost $79 for an early termination fee. His monthly fee was $36 at the time, which is already riduiculous for just internet service. They told him he could put it on vacation hold for 6 months instead and then cancel so he did. Little did we know they still charged us $16.34 a month those 6 months. Shame on us for not noticing, but it came directly out of the bank account like EVERYTHING else we pay for and we didn't notice. They obviously did not explain the policy to him b/c who in their right mind would pay $16.34/month for 6 months (total of $98) instead of the early termination of $79????? and still have to worry about calling back and cancelling after 6 months. Well he didn't remember to call so last month they charged $64.34 to "restart the service" and $36.34 this month until I finally noticed it. I called and cancelled the service again and they would not refund all the charges. We haven't even lived in that location or used the service in over a year and we've been charged $185! They refused to refund anything at first. I demanded a supervisor and she was rude but eventually agreed to an $89 refund. I will never use Verizon again!!