University of Phoenix / scholarship fraud

El Paso, TX, United States Review updated:
3.75
If you are thinking about attending the University of Phoenix, DON"T!!! It is a rip off!

They pride themselves on being "a university for working adults" when all they care about is getting their hands on YOUR money. Their financial aide department is a joke! They advertise for students to apply for scholarships, which is a total fraud! I applied for a scholarship and was awarded a 4-year $50, 000 scholarship to UOP only to have it taken away from me, two weeks later, because UOP does not award scholarships to doctoral students. No where on the application did it state that the scholarship was for bachelor or master degree programs only. So, from telling everyone in my family and my employer the great news to now being totally humilated and too embarrassed to say "Oops, it was a MISTAKE". The way I see it, due to someone else's mistake I should not have had to suffer the consequences. I should have been able to keep the scholarship! So BEWARE...don't fall for their scams!! Also, the professors are not willing to work with you nor are they understanding when life throws you curve for example, going into labor and being hospitalized for two days due to complications. In their eyes, that is no excuse and you should have been better prepared followed by a non-passing grade and put on academic probation.
Mi

Comments

Di
  2nd of May, 2009
I am currently a University of Phoenix online student and I agree with alot of the complaints I just read. I am currently having issues with the financial aid.
I have been enrolled at the the UOP since November 2006 and I have been at a grade point average around 2.8 but this is not the problem. I have had financial aid and student loans help me pay for school or shall I say I have lined the pockets of the UOP with thousands of dollars for my so called tution expenses.

So far since I have been there I have only received one refund from my financial aid package twice a year.
When I first started the UOP it took them 90 days for my financial aid to be received. I have been in nursing school in the past and it never took this long for fasfa to take a look at my application.
I was told that the refund of what was left after they took out for my next 4 classes will be sent to me in March 2007. Needless to say this is the only refund I ever received from them and it was small amount. Since 2007, I was told so many times that my financial aid was at the school and that it was being processed. But when I called to see when I will be able to receive a refund they always seemed to give an excuse why I am not getting
a refund. I did not fail any classes at that time (not until recently) so I know it was not my grade point average.
They would tell me you are only getting enough to cover your next 4 classes. I didn't understand this
how could they figure 4 classes costed almost $6, 000.00?

Now they are keeping me out of classes because of I am out of financial aid. The last time I filled out my financial aid my finanicial advisor told me not to apply for the loans at this time just apply for the grants.
I didn't understand that.
Well now I am out of money and they will not me take my classes until I figure out what I am going to do.

So I was wondering if there is anyone that could help me with advice? Do I just drop out of this school and go to a community college like the University of Wisconsin? Or a Technical College? Did I just waist 3 years of my life on nothing? Is there anything I can do legally?

Please help!
Diane DeBauche
Ca
  23rd of May, 2009
I am also having problems getting my refund, the left over after my classes are paid for. I failed a class and was short 3 credits(one class), so I completed my 3 credits for my federal pell grant to be released. My student loans went on and paid for my classes, the left over was $593. It has been credited for about a month now, but they still have not sent it out. I was told that my pell grant would be released on the 18, it has not been released. My new financial aid advisor has now told me it will go into processing by the 25, monday, memorial day, and that I will recieve it with in 14 days of the 25. This is the first time they have done this to me! I do not know what to do or where to turn them in at or even who to turn them into if they do not send it out.
Can anyone help me? or give me their advice?
Ar
  23rd of May, 2009
First report them to your local Better Business Bureau. I also suggest you forward this
email to the school's P.R./Comunications office -- the address is
media@phoenix.edu. Be sure to tell them you've contacted an
investigative reporte who has reported on them in the past.

Don't stop if you don't get what you were promised.
These people appeared to be trained to lie, cheat, steal from students, especially the ones that are naive about schooling.
It's sad.
Good Luck to you
Ca
  24th of May, 2009
Thank you for your assistance! I really appreciate it. I will contact my local Better Business Bureau and forward the email. I am very frustrated with this issue, and I can not drop out and attend another school because I will then have to pay all that money back first and I can not afford to do that!
Ho
  5th of Jun, 2009
I too am a student at the UOP. I feel it is odd that I can never reach my finical advisor when needed. So now I'm looking for people that may have experienced the same thing . I wrote the president because they seem shady.
Br
  17th of Sep, 2009
i just got done with my with my first set of classes and took the finals and with one of my finals she accused me of cheating i have not cheated never would cheat ive tried calling my academic counslor and she wont return my calls
Th
  21st of Oct, 2009
I agree Do NOT go to THIS SCHOOL because its a TOTAL RIP OFF>>>>>> Your money is ALL they want and YOU are ONLY another NUMBER!!! MASSIVE LIARS and NEVER give that person out in the store your telephone number because then the CALLS WILL NEVER STOP UNTILL THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY!!!
Sh
  17th of Jun, 2010
Beware and remember your just part of a quota! sucker!

University of Phoenix [UOPX] Logo University of Phoenix [UOPX]