Complaints & Reviews

Resolved scam school

I have been attending UoP for over a year now, I was doing great in the beginning straight A's 3.0 GPA. I WAS nearly finished with school when they put me in back to back math classes and the second math class I failed. The stopped disbursment of my student funding and I had to pay over 1, 000$ to retake this math class or I could not further my education. I passed the retake math class after struggling through it. The teachers don't help you and I was told to seek out a tutor to help me. Then i do seek help and I get accused of plagirism. PLAGIRISM how does someone plagerize math? Ever since these fowl ups with math they have been contiunously with holding my student loans. My finacial advisor would not give me any information so I called the finacail aid disbersment department directly and found out my funds were sitting in limbo and no one was doing anything about it. They are allowed 18 days to sit in limbo but no one cared and let mine sit for over 3 weeks extra. This school is a joke, teachers are a joke. I'm about ready to just drop out and continue my education elsewhere.

• Av
    avery2scott Dec 19, 2012

I am amazed to find that UOP has been allowed to get by with what they are doing, I too am fighting with them it has been almost two years for me and I was told I could finish in 18 months earning my AA, and now they have told me that I have no money and I will need to sit out for six months, this counselor is rude and like you all I have had one tell me she will get back to me and if I have heard from her then I was driven to the airport by Stevie Wonder. I was so excited to finally be able to enroll into a college and I thought UOP was going to get were I wanted as I am finding out they lied and I will need to transfer out in order to get the credits i need to apply for my state license for MFT. They will not work with me and just to be able to get this far I had to agree to have them handle my financial aid. My question is who do we go to for help, the school itself is rude and very disrespectful, and gives you the run around, now I was told that college credits I earned will not be accepted because they are ten years old I was unaware that there was a time limit on earned college credits. If anyone is looking into a court case against them I will be one of the first to sign. They should not be allowed to keep doing this.

Resolved misleading students when enrolling and financial aid disbursements

I began actual classes in april and was originally told that I would have my excess funds disbursed to me by...

Resolved tuition, class structure

Where do I start, been attending since 2008 was told by the Enrollment Advsior that my courses would only take a year to complete. 1st time in grad school, so I was not aware of the 3.0 GPA that must be maintained and needed to graduate, still have not found that documentation in the handbook. Tuition has increased THREE times without any acknowledgement being sent. They allow the professors to harrass their students, they do not inform of appeal options when they are needed most...instead they let you accept what you have got and "force" you to repay to take the course. I had one course that was four points shy of what I needed to graduate, instead of them telling me I could challenge the grades, they rather allow me to pay another $3, 000 to retake the course. A rip off, very unprofessional...I DO NOT recommend this school. If so really look into everything and ask as many questions.

Resolved classes changed, inability to find employment

I have two grown children who have tried university of phoenix here in springfield, missouri. My son had to quit because they increased his tuition at almost a year into the program. My daughter graduated with her bachelors in healthcare management a year ago and is working as a nurses aide. She is unable to find employment. She even did internships with st. John's clinics in branson. They also changed her classes from on campus to online which is more expensive. She is a mother of 5 with a disabled husband who tried to better herself for her family and is in debt even more. The college even "lost" some of her courses. Is there anything that either one can do? My email is [protected]@yahoo.com. Thank you for your help

• Co
    Consumer Rights Advocate May 06, 2011

Thanks for sharing. I hope anyone who is considering attending University of Phoenix reads your post carefully. I worked as an online instructor for UoP for 3 years and I know first hand it is terribly over-priced and ineffective. It is better to not mention UoP on your resume...doing so would be a major red flag to employers. My employer does not consider UoP degrees to be valid.

• Ec
    ecooper35 May 09, 2011

We are researching this industry and we are hoping you might contact us. e-mail:

mikecooper54 (at)gmail.com

Thank you.

• Br
    brutalbuddha Sep 14, 2011

Your best shot is to have her apply to federal and state positions. The reason is that the degree isn't looked down upon by those employers. It "checks the block" and that is all she needs to do to be considered. She shouldn't be surprised that she is having difficulty. I know graduates from top rated programs who can't find work at the moment. It's not necessarily the school she graduated from, but the economy in general.

• Li
    Lisa20089 Sep 14, 2011

University of Phoneix belongs to a company called Apollo Group. If you look at the 10K statement you will see that their liabilities in the form of law suits have increased exponentially over the past few years. Your best bet is to find a lawyer to sue them for misleading you! I am sure they will want to settle. Hope this helps!

grant disburstment issues

Started this college on Jan 24 2o11 with the hopes and expectations i was doing something positive for myself...

run from this uni

Hello. I am a former student of the University of Phoenix and a former Academic Counselor for Axia College for the University of Phoenix at the online division for the Southeast which includes states such as Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Texas, Tennessee ect. (I will also say that my husband was a student at the University of Phoenix and is a newly dismissed employee for the same division as of 8/20/2010)

Let's start with my career as a student at the University of Phoenix. I became a student at the University of Phoenix to further my education. I began classes at the Phoenix Main Campus on April 10, 2002. My degree program was Bachelors of Arts in Business Management. I graduated in April 2007. My enrollment counselor at the time of admissions was Lillian Corona (Yep like the beer). She enrolled me and I never heard from her again. As for my academic counselors I can't say that I heard all that much from them either. I do know that they sure changed an awful lot in those five years. As for my finance counselor, honestly all I can say about that one is that he/or she was a total incompetent. My financial aid account was always in a mess and really no one was able to help me or wanted to help me no matter what inquires I made. I would always end up owing the University money because they overpaid me in refunds. While my financial aid monies stayed the same, my tuition kept increasing for so-called improvements to the program. At this time I had about $50K worth of financial aid debt. I can say as a ground student I did learn some things that were helpful, made some decent contacts.

Now for my Masters Degree in Business Administration, that is a total different ball of wax so to speak. I was due to start work for the University of Phoenix online division on June 4, 2007. During the hiring phase for the University of Phoenix I was informed that all employees in good standing were eligible for a tuition waiver for class expenses and a discount on rEsource fees. When I went to enroll in the MBA program I informed my enrollment counselor that I was due to began work on 06/04/2007 and I wanted to start classes after that point so that I was able to utilize the employee tuition waiver. I was informed by the enrollment counselor that they ONLY had one class for my degree program that started on May 29, 2007 unless I wanted to go to class online. I stated that I did not think online was for me, so she stated if I did not start on May 29, 2007 I would have to wait several months to start class. She stated that I would be able to use a tuition waiver for the classes if my manager approved a back date on waiver that could be applied to my tuition.

At this point is sounded great, so I enrolled and started class on 5/29/2007. Within two weeks I received a bill for $1500 tuition plus rEsourse fee of $95. At this point I began training to become a Academic Counselor for Axia College for the University of Phoenix online campus. After two weeks in class, I had yet to talk to any academic or finance counselor as a student, so I contacted my bachelor's program finance counselor to see about the charges on my student account. I discussed with them the charges on my account and my tuition waiver that had been approved the second week of training. I was told that it would be taken care of but it took accounting a little time to apply the waiver. At this time I became uneasy about finishing the class, but was reassured that it would be taken care of and if I was to withdraw from the class it would then become an out of pocket expense as tuition waivers do not cover dropped classes. SO I completed the class in early July.

Upon completion of this class, I refused to start my second due the fact that the tuition waiver had yet to be applied to my account. I was contacted at work by the enrollment counselor that I had not heard from since I had enrolled in class a few months earlier. With her and the finance counselor urgings I decided that I would start my second class. What I did not know was that the enrollment counselor would not get what is called registration credit to help meet their monthly sales quota if I did not start my second class and at least complete two weeks. Within the week of starting my second class I received a bill for $3000 for tuition and $175 for rEsource fee. At this point I was panicking about the fees on my account. I contacted my finance counselor and enrollment counselor. It took 3-4 days for the finance counselor to get back to with me, the enrollment counselor has yet to call me as of today. Basically what I was informed that the tuition waiver did not apply to the first class so I owed them the $1, 600 for class and it needed to be paid within two weeks or they would have to start the collections process, but on the upside, the tuition waiver had already been applied to the second class and rEsource fees, so I only owed $45. So here due to mistakes yet again made on the part of incompetence of a finance counselor and enrollment counselor I owed money that I did not have, so I was forces to take yet another loan of financial aid.

In January of 2009 I became ill and was unable to attend several classes in my degree program. Once I was able to return to class I was kindly informed that my degree program was obsolete and no longer offered on any ground campus, they had basically updated the program to a newer version. Upon talking with my academic counselor, once I had actually found out who they actually were, I was informed that to continue on ground campus I would have to update my program to the newer version and if I updated my program 9 of my older version MBA credits were unusable and there were no equivalence of those 9 credits in the newer MBA program. The only option that I had at this point was to transfer to the online campus who still offered the older MBA program where all my credits were still applicable.

At this time even though I knew online was not for me, due to a couple of reasons but I wanted to finish this program so I was forced to transfer to the online campus. In my online classes I can honestly tell you that I learned absolutely nothing. Toward the end of my first online class my tuition waiver was revoked for a work discussion memo/write up about performance, so I was forced to rely on financial aid to finish my program or lose the credits I had obtained due to the fact that they were not transferrable to another college. Classes were not going to cost me $1900 a class for tuition and $95 for rEsource.

For the first couple of classes I worked my ### off for the grades, but the learning teams were from all parts of the country and some were military spouses stationed in foreign countries, so we were always missing each other. Many of the learning team members had learned by then how little they had to do, so they seldom did much work and the others had to make up the difference. The instructors had little interaction with the students; feedback was hard to get in a timely manner, and questions were seldom answered about assignment. It was basically teaching yourself your MBA program. If I had wanted to teach myself, I wouldn't be spending $2K for a class and left owing HUGE financial aid debts. At this time I spent weeks trying to get a hold of a academic counselor who could help me as mine was not ever available or returned calls as nor did their managers. Each academic counselor would promise to help and nothing was ever done as far as I know because it kept happening.

By the time I finished my second class, I did not give a damn. I became the type of student that I had always complained about and got by on doing as little as possible. I no longer answered discussion questions, helped very little with learning team assignments and seldom turned in individual paper on time or at all. If I didn't want to do it, I didn't do it which was most of the time. I graduated with my MBA in December 2009 with a 3.0. Also upon the completion of my program, due to a miscalculation on behalf of the financial aid/accounting office I had a return to lender for $6K of my funds, which at this point almost a year later has yet to be properly explained to me. I am left owing money to University of Phoenix. This is money that I refuse to pay. I have been sent to collections, and honestly I don't care.

NOW as for working for the University of Phoenix that is a different ball game. I went through the hiring phase for the University of Phoenix in May of 2007. Once I completed the hiring phase I was offered a position as an academic counselor making $32, 500 a year. At the time it was more than I was making and I needed the job. I had just completed my bachelors program in April of that year. So on June 4, 2007 I began training for Axia College for the University of Phoenix as a academic counselor for the online division. First off I had never heard of Axia College, but quickly learned that it was an associates program only offered online. Secondly up until this point I did not know that University of Phoenix had an online division.

After the first week of training I spent a few hours for the latter three days that week shadowing actually academic counselors who already worked on the floor. It seemed easy enough and looked interesting and challenging. At the end of the second week I was assigned to the Southeast Division for the online campus. Once I hit the floor, I discovered that although I had a finance counselor I did not have an enrollment team, and would not have one for about 8 weeks as the last enrollment manager had stepped down and the enrollment team had been reassigned. My first 6 months working for the University of Phoenix went smoothly enough. I liked my job, my manager, my finance counselor, and my enrollment team, even though I was not too crazy about the enrollment manager. During my first review I had did excellent and more than met the standards that applied to Axia employees for academics. During my second six months I won an Outstanding Academic Counseling Award, I won a Top Academic Counselor award, and became a Certified Mentor for new academic counselors. During my second review I also did fairly well.

During the next six months, my manager acquired more students that was supposed to be disbursed to the 8 teams she was assigned to manage. My manager asked if I would like to have some of these students added to my original team of students. I jumped at the challenge. What I did not know and was not told was these student were not to be assigned to the academic team of 8, but they were creating a 9th team for my manager to mange, and I was to be assigned to a second team of 450+ students, a second finance counselor and 7 additional enrollment counselors. So not only did I have a second team of 450+ students, but my original team had 500+ students, a finance counselor, and 7 enrollment counselors. Needless to say that I was starched real thin between 900+ students, 2 finance counselors, and 14 enrollment counselors. I am ashamed to say, that some of the students did not received timely academic service.

(Basically there are 4 areas that an academic counselor is graded on. The 1st area are HARD SKILLS; which include the team load of assigned students and how many of those students are in class, how many new start students are in class for the required 180 days, how many students are actually posting attendance into their assigned classes each week. The 2nd are SOFT SKILLS; which include intern/external communication both written and oral, how many calls are made per day, how many hours you talk to your students, how your manager judges your IS3 activities which are computer generated tasks that must be completed for each student each day. The 3rd are PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SKILLS; which include going to workshops, classes and such. The 4th are QUALITY ASSURANCE: which include a system for scoring calls when the counselor talks with the student.) So during this management of two teams review period I did excellent and my manager put me in for a whopping 10% pay increase in which I received and began making $38, 900 a year.

It was during the end of my second year review that I voluntary resigned from the second team and it was reassigned to another academic counselor. About this time I began learning more about my enrollment team and their manager because their enrollment numbers were beginning to affect my review. On several occasions I heard the enrollment manager tell his counselors to "dangle the Pell Grant to the student like a carrot and refer to it as free money". I have also overheard the enrollment manager tell my enrollment counselors to "enroll that student NO MATTER WHAT" even when the enrollment counselor had specifically informed the enrollment manager that the student stated that they did not have an G.E.D. or a valid high school diploma (which are supposedly requirement for Title IV funding). I have heard from the enrollment manager things like "if it has a heartbeat enroll it". The enrollment team has also placed an APIN status students (which means students that are waiting for verification of high school diploma or G.E.D, application for admissions, along with all the other required documents for admission) into REG status (which means admissions has received and approved all documents for the student and eligible for admissions to the University, and that finance has approved the student to financially be able to pay for the classes and also attend said classes) without approval from admissions or finance and the student starting these classes without approval from admission or finance and having to be pulled from classes. I have also overheard the enrollment manager sexually harass his female employees by saying that "so and so has a nice ###" or "let's get so and so join our baseball team so we can watch their boobs giggle"

Beginning in or around April 2009, financial aid fraud students from Mississippi and a few other states were beginning to make a hit on the Southeast Division. Basically what happened was a person would go around to like government assisted housing and offer to help people "get free money" by helping the person enroll in the University of Phoenix and Axia College, fill out the financial aid paperwork for a small fee from their financial aid refund. These people were to enroll, apply for financial aid but want to manage their own financial aid funds, make sure to attend class by checking in (which basically mean leaving a message that states I am in class today). During the time it was taking the financial aid department to certify these students for their funding the academic counselor would receive notices from the instructors from about these students failing there classes by not doing any of the work. These students were calling the finance department several times a week's wanting to know when their funds would be certified, how long before the funds were received by the university, and when they could expect their refund checks. At this same time academic, enrollment, and finance counselors were noticing that these students had the same phone numbers, email addresses and home addresses. Once in class, students stopped answering phones or we were told that no one by that name lived there. Then when the funds were received on the students account at University of Phoenix the students would begin calling again badgering finance when were their checks were going to mailed and how much were the checks going to be for. Once the students received their checks the cashed them at check cashing places and disappeared of the face of the earth. Telephone numbers were disconnected; email addresses were closed or stopped being used.

If the student failed the first class and their financial aid had not been received they contacted the enrollment counselor and finance counselor to restart class so that they financial aid would process, because if a student is not in class during the certification of funds, the process is stopped until they are back into class. Financial arrangements were then made to allow the student back into a class that they failed, but the same process happened again. With all this fraud going on I knew that I would have a substandard review and as per company policy I would be receiving a deduction in pay. Two weeks following my review ending the company changed the policy that employees would no longer receive pay reeducations for substandard reviews but it did not apply to me. During this review period I did receive a sub-standard review in which my pay was to be decreased by 10% to $32, 215 which was less that I made coming into the University of Phoenix and less than an new academic counselor out of training made at $35K a year.

Also during this review period I had become ill and was placed on FMLA for 2 weeks, then was approved for intermittent FMLA which allowed so many days off as prescribed by the doctor. When my review was completed the company had not taken into consideration the FMLA time I had to take off and that no one was working my team. It had been left stagnate and I was unable to obtain my goals because of this. This review was due to be processed for the end of May 31, 2009 but was not received until September 2009 which was 2 months before my next review was due, so I was really at a loss as to what my new review goals would be.

At this point the manager that I liked became a real horse's ###. If I took an intermittent FMLA day, when I came back I was crossed examined by my manger, which is against HR policy. My manage would make very hostile remarks about me and my taking a approved FMLA day. Finally when I got fed up I reported it to my manager's supervisor who told me to work it out with my manager. At this time my whole academic team became to suffer from lack of proper management. The team had to become totally self-reliant because our manager became scarce, she no longer helped us when we needed help, she was always acting weird. She would go days without talking to anyone on the team. She no longer held team meetings so we could discuss problems and strategies. She came to work telling people extremely personal business, showing up at her employee's houses asking for a place to crash for the night, trying to borrow money from her employees. When we complained to upper managements, we got no answers so we learned to work without a manager and no longer went to her for anything. It took over six months of this type of behavior from my manager for her finally to be terminated. We were then assigned to a temporary manager who actually told the whole team that "our old manager was terminated due to drug use and taking her personal life to other employees". We were then promised that we would receive the cream of the crop for a manger and that she was proud of us for sticking it out.

After about 3-4 weeks we were assigned a new manager and this would have been mid August 2009. It was hard to trust a manager at this time, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt. As I took my first FMLA day and returned, I was called into my new manager's supervisor's office. I was accused of not following FMLA protocol and I was to be written up. Before this point nobody had informed me of the process I needed to go through to report that I was taking an FMLA day as my previous manager didn't get together with me and HR to go over the FMLA process. This was done within a few days of my returning. From August to November 2009 when I would take my FMLA days, I would strictly adhere to HR policy on FMLA protocol. But upon returning to work, I came back to a hostile manager who would make snide and cutting remarks such as "if all of his employees would be here every day like they should the team as a whole would be better" he would also point out that "other academic counselors were being overwhelmed by his employees missing days". I know for a fact that these remarks were geared toward me and one other academic counselor who were FMLA absent from time to time. I would also receive the silent treatment and the cold shoulder when I asked questions. I would get cutting emails telling me to do the research when I would email a question to the manager. I them reported this treatment to my new managers supervisor. She informed me not to bother her with petty complaints and take it to HR. I contacted HR to try to see who to talk to but was unable to get an answer as to who to speak with to file a complaint.

It was under this new manager that I received the November 2009 review on January 2010. I received a second substandard review, and my FMLA time had not been taken into consideration again. At this time I was placed on a performance review and had until February 26, 2010 to bring up my substandard or be possibly terminated. During this time I was out most of the time on FMLA due to health issues that I ran out of time in early March, but was unable to return to work. On or around March 9th, 2010 I received a phone call from HR that deals with FMLA. I was also called by a person from an employee relations representative that is enable to fire employees. I then called both of them back and I was told that University of Phoenix would accept my resignation. I talked with the HR representative and the employee relations representative about me requiring surgery. The HR representative stated that she was and would willing to work with me to get me additional time off and then help me get back to work. All three of us were in agreement. On Friday, March 12, 2010 I was called and informed by the employee relation representative that the University of Phoenix had decided to terminate me anyway and that my services were no longer required.

In the last year working for the University of Phoenix academic counselors have become required to do sales. We were required to ask for leads to potential students for other students. We were to take their names, addresses and phone numbers and turn this information over to enrollment. So basically said we were required to do enrollments job also, which is strictly to sale the University of Phoenix's product which is education.

SO I want to warn potential students and employees to really think about your decision to become a student or work for the University of Phoenix. You might just regret that decision, I did.

chrisfriend Apr 12, 2011

IF YOU ARE A COLLEGE STUDENT JOIN www.aceyourcollegeclasses.com you can post your homework questions there and earn money tutoring others. The site is free to join!

Resolved worst school ever - you will never graduate - check fafsa's report

I'll make my statement very simple. It's a nightmare to get registered with the university of phoenix online and while you're in it, their requirements are endless. This is a serious means to pay their salaries while you build a ton of loan on your record. I made the biggest mistake coming to this school and i've invested way too much to be able to leave now. Listen if you care about your time.

• Ba
    bamagirl36344 Mar 30, 2011

I am not sure why you didn't graduate from your program but I can assure you that I personally know many students who have and I am one of them. This should be considered slander. Seriously. I got my pell grants and the amount I was to obtain. Yes, it cost more, but show me an online college that doesn't. I have had several promotions in my career and as soon I finish my MS/PYCH I will open my own business. I can not emphasis my disagreement with these posts enough. I truly wish that those of you who have made such accusations would have tried to resolve matters prior to slenderizing my Alma Matter. In reality, and I have seen this in ethics meetings too many times, what happens is students get disappointed when he or she is caught plagiarizing and they begin to look for fault instead of facing his or her own mistakes. Seriously, adult college should be more cautious who they let attend. If children are going to whine when they get caught being bad put them in daycare not UOP>

UofPhoenix Apr 04, 2011

Hello there,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. If you have a specific issue that you would like looked into, or would like to file a formal grievance, I encourage you to contact the Office of Dispute Management. They can be reached by email at [email protected] or by phone at 602-557-5566.

~ Libby Bailey, Sr. Student Relations Administrator
    for the University of Phoenix, Office of Dispute Management

• Ca
    cactus5th Apr 05, 2011

Only around 10% who enroll in this school graduate.

• Im
    im with uop May 17, 2011

I have been enrolled with the University of Phoenix for almost two years and it is the greatest thing I could have ever done. I have never been charged for anything extra and I have learned so much.

• Im
    im with uop May 17, 2011

The difficulty with graduating with online schooling, Miss Felice Larsen, is that you don't have an instructor holding your hand. You have to be a go-getter and willing to read the material, research, and take the initiative. Online schooling is difficult, but you have to take the convenience of online schooling and understand that you are going to have to make extra effort to subside the comforts of sitting in front of a computer and just doing school. The think the biggest problem is people think online schooling is easy, its not! You have to try twice as hard as those that are in a classroom. Effort and stamina makes a person, a "live" instructor doesn't. At least when I received my diploma, I knew that I obtained it for myself, not by the guidance of a person I could constantly hound or beg with questions!

• Co
    Consumer Rights Advocate May 26, 2011

I work for the largest company in California. My company does not accept UoP degrees as being valid college degrees. We hired a several UoP graduates a few years back; all of them had very poor communication skills and basically no technical skills; all these people have been fired. Please do yourself a favor and and don't waste your time and money attending UoP.

• Ra
    Ravenmoon96 Jun 06, 2011

I totally disagree here. I got my second AAB from UoP. I also then received my BASB followed by my MA from UoP over a total of 7 years. Now I am not saying I never had issues with them, but the degrees are excellent, it is NOT easy to obtain and I cannot understand why a business is not hiring people based on where they received their degree. That is just unprofessional and prejudice of those who for whatever cannot afford to go to Yale or Browning for example (who also sell their brand- c'mon folks!) or have families and are already working but want to improve themselves. There are plenty more people out there who get handed everything and don't compare to the backbone us Phoenix grad's have!

• Ca
    cactus5th Sep 20, 2012

To: 'im with uop'
    You sound like someone who is working for the UoP.

Joe Utha Mar 04, 2014

The University of Phoenix is the worst school that I have ever attended. If you want to earn a Doctor's Degree, go somewhere else. There is little to no support for your dissertation. They are very busy taking your money, while doctoral learners are left to struggle. They do not have a program to help with the dissertation. The support that they offer is a joke. What is true one day is false the next day. After 24 credits, I am left the University of Phoenix and I am now attending Grand Canyon University. Only 9 of the 24 credits will transfer, but it is worth having true professors who care about the success of their students, and not pretend business professionals who are hire as facilitators. The difference in the caliber of the faculty and the students was instantly noticeable. Do not waste your time at UoP. I have dealt with Libby Bailey at the office of dispute management, and in my opinion, she is a joke, just like that office. I think any college and I mean any online university would be better than the University of Phoenix.

financial aid

I believe the University of Phoenix takes their financial aid and then turns around and purposely drops and fails students to turn around and recharge them for the classes they have already taken. If anyone wants to make a formal complaint about University of Phoenix contact The Higher Commission Board at [protected]@hlcommission.org. Write them a detailed letter and attach any proof you have about your complaints. Make sure it is in cover letter form. Then contact the Arizona Attorney General and fill out a complaint form. Once again make sure to be very thorough. Then last but not least contact the BBB for Arizona. If enough people stand up and complain about this school then maybe someone will do something about it. If anyone needs any help please contact me at [protected]@gmail.com

UofPhoenix Mar 18, 2011

Hello there,

I want to assure you that the University does not fail students on purpose to charge them for course retakes. If you have a specific issue that you would like resolved, please contact the Office of Dispute Management to file a formal grievance. They can be reached at [email protected] or 602-557-5566.

Kind regards,
    Libby Bailey, Sr. Student Relations Administrator
    for the University of Phoenix, Office of Dispute Management

• Gr
    GrannyG Apr 15, 2013

l. When applying for financial assistance at the UofP in Santa Fe, NM, the financial options were not explained. The recruiter kept talking in acrinims using letters (their short abbreviations for financial aid forms), to describe what I signature as applying for. She said did you sign the fasfa oh no that was the dosea, let me make sure we have your comdea???? I had no idea what she was talking about as she (the recruiter) sashayed here, there, in other office to make copies, looking in different places for files/records? All I knew was that money was coming from somewhere for me to continue my formal education. I am a disabled/senior. I informed the recruiter and student advisor on numerous of my disabilities. I was offered the office where numerous computers were available, the recruiter told me "yes you can use these computers for your homework, that's what they're there for." When there was a disagreement from another student who made the false claim that I did not help her team, the student advisor and the recruiter began to treat me with the most disrespectful attitude, manner and gave me erroneous/incomplete data regarding future classes, she went as far as to send me data that was not timely causing me to fail to meet deadlines. The recruiter and student advisor took it upon themselves to be judge and jury and to side with the student who was a close employee of the then governor of the state of new mexico. Politics seemed to be their motivation. The recruiter Mares and student advisor Tanuz refused to let me use the computers to do research and homework, Mares complained that I was using too much paper and made me ask her permission to make copies, they made it very difficult for me to continue with the on-going harassment and hostile environment. I am very thorough when I conduct research and went beyond locating, documenting and photocopying information needed for the team who gave false statements against me. The team I was assigned to were close nit friends and had been connected socially with friends on boards/committees for the governor and resented the instructor assigning me to their team; they acted excessively regal as though they were better than other people because of their supposedly "high political status/clout." The team thumbed their nose at me, left me out of conversations and treated me as though I were a hobo off the street begging for food and shelter, so much for being "team" players. Each has obtained their so called degree from university of phoenix by lying, cheating and deceit. The person directly responsible who worked for the governor/in his office always badmouthed and complained about the governor to her team mates and used team meetings to socialize and used her clout to obtain a degree with less than credits mainly because "she was connected". I have multiple disabilities not blatently visible, I refused to walk with a cain, that would hinder my learning to develop my strength to walk unaided. I did go into detail in the early part of my attending the UoP with the recruiter because she asked, I told her how I had difficulty walking and using my hands after my injury, I had no memory and unable to work or do much of anything, as most people who are familiar with TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURIES, know that at first survival is the most important. Also as intelligent and knowledgeable people aware of the health complications along with TBI, every resource should be made available to senior citizens with multiple disabilities. After all I believe that I am entitled some consideration under the AMERICAN'S WITH DISABILITIES ACT. Currently, my disability checks are being diverted to some agency who wants the money given to university of phoenix for my supposed education and I am left with even less than to support myself. I am very limited with physical work although I have kept up with trying to read three to five books a month. Before my injury I read a book a week, magazines, on-line information. I continued to keep-up with my motivotational programs of learning. There are times when I transpose letters and numbers but that does not make me a ###. I have a high degree of intellectual knowledge, thinking and ability, alas, with the challenge of TBI cognitive abilities still perplex me at times. I tire easily, endure chronic pain, the deformity of my hands and feet are becoming quite prominent, not to mention the extent of disabling illness inside the body and brain not visible, nor on display for all to take pitty upon. People like me enjoy being self sufficient and the ability to be productive. I have come a long way with being disabled, and healing from numerous injuries, but age and permanent damage work against the idea of ever being the same as before. Thank you ignoramus employees who got their degree from university of phoenix and are employed by the university of phoenix, their main focus is greed, the bonuses they get for recruiting people with stars in their eyes over the glossy advertisements of university of phoenix also known as Apollo inc.

• Da
    Daryl R. Bean May 07, 2013

University of Phoenix Financial advisor Jordan Murphy is a liar and very deceitful. I can prove after I complained about his blatant lies about my finances he changed information on my account, even though i have the original documentation.-daryl R. Bean

Resolved lies of the teacher

I send up for 18 months course, everything was going great until 12 months. Every 9 weeks I would received two new teachers. The last 18 weeks I had one teacher from each 9 weeks, lies and refuse to help.If I don't past this last class I will have to quite school because I will not have the money to pay. I have turn these so call teacher in, but nothing will be done. In last 18 weeks I have found out that Phoenix is in trouble for raising student fees and going on a trip to Napa Valley in California. Using student funds. I will be looking for another college and I will reporting them to FASFA. I WHAT MY MONEY PAID BACK.

programs

Programs at University of Phoenix-For all of you people looking to get into the field of Criminal Justice...

uop is such a rip off

Hi, I went to Coleman for year in Computer Networking. Like the another blogger has already said the credit...

charged me over $2,000 for a class i didn't attend

I told my advisor that my program wasn't working out and needed to removed from their system and they...

Resolved uop financial aid fraud & lack of official complaint documentation/determination

No this doesn't clarify, because it was still within the 10 years! Also, the denial letter for course waiver dated 1/21/10 was never sent to me, nor was that a letter sent to me regarding my complaint against Kelson's unethical accounting of my Ethics grade where she mistakenly posted information for week 2's assignment in week 3 - how it was determined that I was confused and not Kelson is still a mystery to me! The Ethics teacher of all people refused to admit or accept that she made a mistake, costing me 10 pts and lowering my 4.0 GPA. If the UOP doesn't believe in it's ability to teach and that the student is so confused that they can't locate an assignment, what will employers' think of my UOP degree? Despite providing proof positive that the assignment was posted incorrectly & the teacher was the one confused, not the student, UOP determined the student was confused, so confused they as of today some 6 mths after my complaint, I have yet to receive an official determination. I have yet to receive any documentation showing an investigation, or determination and that is cause for concern about the quality or lack of quality of my education.

Also, my financial aid total for Dec 2010 is $8995, not the $6960 showing on FA Acct, & usually pays for four classes at a time, but this time it maintained monies for five classes & refunded me only $295 - Pell $2775, Student Loan Sub $2737 & UnSub $3483. Considering the vast number of complaints UOP is facing regarding credibility, quality of eduction, & financial aid complaints, I am wondering if UOP is really on the up and up. Even the $295 refund shows on my UOP Acct was dated 12/21/10 & yet as of 1/4 it hasn't posted to bank acct. In fact, on 1/3/2011 it wasn't posted on my UOP Acct history. Previous awards maintain monies for four classes and the amount refunded should have been $2035.

I am really thinking this is unethical because the monies were disbursed & received by UOP in 2010, shows on my UOP Financial Aid account for 2010, yet as of 1/4/2011 haven't been disbursed to me. The account history shows UOP maintains monies for four classes in advance, yet for the 2010 final year's disbursement, UOP has maintained monies for five classes without advising me, as I was expecting and planning on the usual disbursement of $2035. This has placed me in a financial strain, which is frustrating and distracting me from my classes. I have worked very hard & currently have a 3.78 GPA that I have earned, yet I am wondering if my UOP education will garner me a degree that employers will accept. Therefore, I am filing a formal complaint with FSFA & UOP and would like an official reply in writing. There's some shady unethical things occuring at UOP & I need answers! What is going on?

/URL removed/

• Ec
    ecooper35 Jan 10, 2011

We are researching this industry and we are hoping you might contact us.

e-mail: mikecooper54 (at)gmail.com
    Subject: 23UP3X

Thank you.

Resolved tuition

I have been sent to collects for 300.00. I had received financial aid from UOP. I had phenomia for over two months this past summer. It was so bad that the docter told me that if I did not rest she was going o put me in the hospital. I told Tammy my academic advisor(dumber then a bag of rocks) I cancelled my classes. Then I got a phone call saying that if i did not go back to school I would forfit my financial aid and there would be issues so I told Tammy that I ould try but I cant promise anything. I was still very sick and exhaused. I was so bad that doing laundry put me in bed for hours. Anyway when class started I just could not do it. I called and told rachel my financial aid advisor that I was just to sick. I then get a three hundred and something bill in the mail. I had financial aid to cover this. I was told that it was left over from financial aid and that it was fees of some sort. Please explain to me any normal college would just take that money from financial aid and the student would pay for it when school loans become due. This school is trying to double dip and take more money. I refuse to pay for something that I had financial aid for. And now I have people from collections calling me at 9 pm.

• Ms
    Ms. W Jul 01, 2012

University of Phoenix owes me a refund, they have told me for seperate date as to when I will get my money, then they told me my account had to be recalculated, now as of today I have been charge for two classes new while I am currently in my fifth week of two other classes. they are lying to me to keep my money to pay for the other classes to prevent giving me my money. I am going to let my attorney handle this because last year they did me the same way.

Resolved pell grant disbursment

I was attending University of Phoenix online through Richmond Va. Campus from March 2010 until December 2010...

liars

First off, I would like to state that I am currently enrolled with UoP Online. I have read many of the statements posted here, and can sympathize with those who have been having difficulties with UoP.

I enrolled with UoP in May of 2010. Upon enrollment, I was advised to take out the maximum amount on my loans to ''ensure that I will receive money with each disbursement." This was important to me, as I advised my enrollment counselor, I am a single mother of two young children without a car, job, and absolutely no help from any outside sources, friends or family.

My first disbursement came and gone, and as promised, a check was sent to me to help cover the cost of rent and necessities for my children. Around the time for my second disbursement, I had checked out my accounts page. Money had been applied towards my courses and ''books'' with a credit balance remaining.

After waiting the 14 days and still not receiving the credit due, I contacted my financial advisor. I waited two days for a reply, and had yet to receive one, so I contacted the financial aid office. The gentleman I was speaking with told me that I did not have any credit due to me. When I would ask him why my accounts page said that I have a credit, his best response was ''you do not have any credit."

Three weeks of being directed to different people, I finally found one that actually admitted that I had a credit. So when I asked when I would be receiving this, I was told they were going to hold it and apply it to my next block of classes. (Classes that weren't going to start for another two months.)

Now, I have received a letter in the mail yesterday about my disbursements, and this is exactly what it says:

After the disbursement posts to your student account, any credit balance will be sent to you within five days, but no more than 14 days from the date of the disbursement posting.

With this information provided in their own letter, how can they hold the credit balance due to me? This is a question that I have asked several individuals, with absolutely no response. I am aware that in order to continue receiving federal aid, one must maintain satisfactory academic progress, along with a certain grade point average.

My SAP has been satisfactory, along with a near perfect GPA. So this could not be the cause of not receiving the funds. It has been six weeks since this situation has started, and everyone that I contact just simply will not contact me back.

So for those who have encountered this same situation, what is the next step to take, if any? Numerous attempts to contact anyone within the University has failed miserably. So now what?

UofPhoenix Dec 15, 2010

Hello,

I understand that you are frustrated by this situation, and I would like to offer my assistance. The University has a department dedicated to hearing student issues such as yours, and doing their best to resolve them. Please contact the Office of Dispute Management by email at [email protected] or by phone at 602-557-5566.

~ Libby Bailey, Sr. Student Relations Administrator
    for the University of Phoenix

Resolved financial aid processing

I have just finished up my first academic year at Axia (Online University of Phoenix). I am a straight A student, and everything I went through went pretty well up until November 1st, 2010. I began my new classes on October 25, 2010, and was supposed to be expecting funds to be disbursed into my student account by November 1st, but my academic counselor made a costly mistake on my application. I am now being asked to wait an additional month and a half to obtain those funds. This is the most frustrating situation because my academic counselor does not act as though he did something wrong, and that when my classes are paid for are an issue to him. This one situation has made me analyze whether I want to remain a student at Axia, or transfer to another university.

• Ss
    SSanchez Nov 28, 2010

I was also tricked into thinking University of Phoenix is a great school and enrolled. I was very disappointed with their online degree program after jut 1 short week so I withdrew from the school.

I was in shock when University of Phoenix "decided" that I owe them $750 for withdrawing after just 1 week. And the thing is, they don't tell you any of it and they keep insinuating each and every student to just try it.

The top people who are running Univ. Phoenix absolutely do not care about the student's well-being. They JUST WANT YOUR MONEY ANY WAY POSSIBLE.

• Ss
    SSanchez Dec 02, 2010

I spoke with a UoP relations specialist and she assured me that they are continually looking for improvements in their educational methods. So that was good to hear, that they are changing their ways. Or at least we can hope..

Resolved fraud and discrimination

It's great that this website allows us to use as much space as we need. The University of Phoenix's feedback is always limited, and the BBB doesn't give enough space to really tell what is going on. In April 2009, I was finally enrolled with the University of Phoenix. The enrollment process seemed to take forever, mostly because my name change had never gone through. After jumping through a lot of hoops, I was happy to be back on track with my degree program that I had started 9 years before. The following 18 months were a nightmare. Obviously, I was so eager to have my school goals going again that I was willing to jump through a lot of hoops for these fraudsters. After a few months, I started having problems. Thinking that as long as I was vigilant, I would succeed, I continued to pursue my degree program, and maintained a 3.95 GPA. Although I am always a straight A student, it seemed far too easy. Quite a bit of the course materials were not what I would consider high school worthy, and a majority of the other students didn't seem to be able to put a sentence together. The instructors didn't grade papers efficiently, and I started to make blatant mistakes in papers just to see if they were reading them. They weren't. The only corrections I received were, in fact, incorrect. I had to dispute several corrections that didn't make sense, and even had a couple of instructors retaliate as a result of my insistence. Unfortunately, it took me a while to realize that I was doing all of the work, and no one else was really doing anything. Every time there was a problem, I had to deal with it. Every time they screwed up my paperwork, I had to pay for it. Every time there was a problem with FAFSA, I had to leap through firey hoops to solve the dispute. None of the after course surveys I did were ever responded to, and I put in a lot of detailed information that should have been reviewed thoroughly. There were times when other students were very obviously plagiarizing, yet they were never called out for it. In some discussions, they were literally using answers from Yahoo Answers (I got so bored with their BS that I started typing their answers into Google with quotation marks to see if they were being original or not). When this was pointed out to my instructors, and my academic advisor, nothing was ever done. Their neglect was alarming. After several serious problems with the University of Phoenix, and upon discovering that the Pell Grants I had qualified for were not recorded in my account, I started to add up the numbers. Their accounting is literally full of errors. There is an error on every single page, and the math doesn't add up at the end. To top it all off, when I officially withdrew from the school, they decided to "return" my federal aid funds, and started billing me within three weeks for $1, 238.61. When I tried to get help with my problems, I was ignored. Instructors and facilitators don't seem to have any Code of Conduct to answer to, and the Student Code of Conduct is extremely vague and ambiguous. Now they are trying to pin me with an accusation that I violated the Student Code of Conduct nearly two weeks after I had officially withdrawn. They are threatening me now with charges that will "suspend" me from the school that I no longer attend (no longer enrolled), and put a violation on my permanent record. I'm sure that no matter what I do, they will put it on my record. It's an asinine attempt at further retaliation. My complaint with the BBB finally came in today, and they said that they can't solve the issue. The University of Phoenix representative basically sent them a ### response, saying that they can't release any records, and that they sent a response to me directly. I have not received any responses from them. So now, I need an attorney. If anyone is interested in joining me for a class action suit against the University of Phoenix that will help to TAKE THEM DOWN FOR GOOD, please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com or [protected]@gmail.com. After 18 months of hell with this fraudulent, pseudo-educational sham, I feel that I have been victimized to the extreme. Not only have I suffered a nervous breakdown, I am now in debt to federal aid by $18, 762.50, and the University of Phoenix is trying to get me for the $1, 238.61. I'm sure they'll send it to collections soon, even though it hasn't even been a month yet since the bill was created. They're trying to say that it was due on October 7th, but the letter they sent me in the mail says October 25th. Either way, they can kiss my fat ### if they think they're getting anything more from me. University of Phoenix, Apollo Group, and Axia College deserve to dissolve, and the people managing the entire scam should be imprisoned. I would be more than happy to provide more proof to anyone who is genuinely interested in pursuing these unethical criminals. Thank you for reading this. If you are considering signing up with the University of Phoenix, ask yourself one question: Am I willing to pay someone tens of thousands of dollars, blood, sweat, and tears in return for a worthless piece of paper?

• Ju
    Julie6969 Oct 28, 2010

I am currently enrolled in the University of Phoenix and I am due to graduate on December 12 of this year. I have had no problems with the University of Phoenix or the FAFSA applications...although I have noticed that the math doesn't add up. I have kept every piece of mail and award letters from both the University of phoenix and the Loan company (there are a couple of different ones because they apparently sold them to another lender). I am now very interested in going back through these "letters" to see if some of my financial aid was "stolen" from me by the University of Phoenix... Thanks for the heads up:) By the way...what did you mean by "a worthless piece of paper"?

• Ml
    MLKilgore May 27, 2011

I have had several problems with enrollment advisors not being up-front about costs, tuition, and how many loans would actually be needed to complete my degree. Also, the financial aid department is a joke, they received $4700.00 of my loan money, waited 9 days to even apply it to my account, and wouldn't have for God knows how much longer if I hadn't called and called and called them, and I still have no money. I am 6 weeks into my first block of classes (after the orientation class) luckily and so far only owe the original loan of 9400.00. I have a 5 year old and a 4 year old, no income, bills that are about to be disconnected (because the utility companies were nice enough to put them off for me until the date that my financial advisor assured me I'd have my money, which is today, when in reality they only applied the loans to my account yesterday) and it will still be another week (most likely) until I get my money, that was supposed to be Direct Deopsit (and quicker!)

Resolved finacial aid department

I have been with the university of phoenix since march 2010 and i got my first disbursement and now i am into my 3rd set of classes and and I have not receieved another disbursement and they keep telling they are stil working on the 2009 2010 finacail aid I feel like I am getting the run around from them who can i contact about this becasue they keep telling me at the end of the month well now it is october and i am being told at the end of yhis month i thnk it is ridiculous

• Js
    jscott193 Oct 02, 2010

The exact same thing is happening to my wife and I. We were told that there would be another dibursement at the end of September. My wife contacted Silas Maxwell and he informed her that we are not getting anything. They kept it all to pay for our next set of classes that we are not even in yet and may not even be taking. He was also very rude to her and basically hung up on her. Now we are going to be evicted from our apartment because we thought that we were going to have money to pay rent. Stupid us! I have been looking around the web and have found that the UOPX is a big waste of time and money.

MayaRich Oct 03, 2010

OMG I can believe you when you say they are a waste of money but you can actually fight them for what you want and that is your disbursement, this is how they get over on people. I am in the process of joining a class action lawsuit against UOP because I am tired of being left in the dark with no answers. I was also threatened by my financial advisor, academic advisor, and enrollment advisor, not one of these individuals have helped me. Maybe this could help I found some names on here from a person who use to work with UOP:

Brian Muller CEO. Vince Grell VP Enrollment, Aaron Wettstien Director North East, Trish Elliot Director NE WIU, Larry Etherington VP mkting. Brett Romeny Senior EM. Kristin Tursinni Senior EM, Nikki Fossi Director and the most viel manager of them all, Jacob Nevzoroff. The list goes on.

But you can call 1-800-366-9699 and ask to speak with them and they will transfer you. Or you can take their first name dot their last name and add apollogrp.phx.edu on the end and that should go directly to them.

Also I put this scandalous school name on my resume and application and I got laughed at and the reason for that is, this school is a real joke! do not put this school down or you will be laughed at.

• Ld
    L Dot Oct 24, 2010

I am having the same problem.

selling tactics

I was thinking of University of Phoenix at one point. The man I was assigned to was either very ignorant as to what is really going on with the workplace or he was just flat out lying. I told the recruiter (I know it is called enrollment counselor or adviser but really, come on, they act like recruiters) that I wanted to work in health care. I said I would like to be a nurse later down the line but I understand that you have to go a traditional school setting to get those clinical hours and such.

Well, the recruiter just said, "Well, we have health care administration you could do that. Get a mix of administrative work (where I have experience) and the medical field." I said fine, just let me do my research on the field and I will get back to you. I went ahead looked on-line found out that in order to be successful in that career you need a bachelors degree or you just work as an administrative assistant without a degree at all get a decent pay check. It took me a couple of days to look at the whole picture and the recruiter just would not stop calling my house and leaving messages. He would sometimes call 3 times in one hour.

I told the recruiter what information I had found and then he started to get angry with me. He said, "Well, if you want to work a MINIMUM WAGE job and keep living the life you live then go ahead don't go to college. And just settle for LESS!" I explained to him that I would just really like to be a nurse later and this education was more of a filler. I have a house, a husband, a luxury car, dog, and child all by the age 22. I have what others go to college to just to get to that point. This is more to keep me from being bored during the day (I am a homemaker) so the nursing thing can wait. So I will wait.

Then he responded, "You said you got a 3.2 GPA in high school? Um, yeah not possible to be a nurse. You need a 3.7 or higher." I had done my research again not true. Minimum is 2.0 or in some cases 2.5GPA, if he had said, you need a 3.7 to increase your chances into getting into a nursing program that would have made more sense, but he did not. I called him out and presented the facts and he said, "Well what if you and your husband get a divorce? Then what? You will be stuck doing NOTHING with no EDUCATION with no JOB and a DIVORCED SINGLE WOMAN and regretting you didn't sign up for college!" Isn't that a tad out of line?

I responded back telling him that what he was saying was really unprofessional and quite frankly you can count me out of ever considering UOP. I took my email off their list for generic enrollment dates and he called me at 11pm to ask if I still wanted to enroll in UOP. Based on that incidence and I wasn't even a student, Iam forever greatful that UOP's and the recuriters true colors showed before it was too late.

• Ve
    veteranRNeducator Sep 30, 2010

I agree that the sales tactics are extreme - and this is not the first time I have heard this. However, the sales gorilla was correct in one regard.

In order to be accepted into nursing school, you must have a very high GPA. The admissions criteria posted on the school sites are of no consequence. The enormous number of people trying to get into nursing these days have raised the bar dramatically. Only the top applicants are selected, and generally these people have no less than a 3.7 GPA.

Be aware also that U of P 'credits' are unlikely to accepted as pre-requisites by most nursing schools.

• Mi
    Mike i783 Nov 13, 2010

That UoP Recruiter was using that harsh Paying Point Tactic on you! This is a very common thing with the For-Profit College Industry.

And him asking and telling what would happen in your personal life, is extremely unprofessional and childish!