TJX / clothing returns (tj maxx fountain valley ca)

Fountain Valley California, CA, United States Review updated:

I took a shirt back to the store in Fountain Valley CA that was purchased for me during the holidays that was too small. The original price of it was $12.99 - it had it on the label. I did not have the receipt, it was a gift. I wanted to exchange it for a bigger sized shirt or store credit, so I could replace it with something that fitted me. The manager wasn't interested in finding a larger sized shirt (why? She didn't even look?) and informed me that she could only give me store credit for $4.39 for the sale price of the garment, or alternately, I could simply "keep the shirt" that was too small for me?

Terrible service and awful policy. I understand the issues of price vs sales price but that shirt is now going to be resold and I'm the only loser here! Not wanting to waste a journey to the store I felt obliged to "buy something: on sale, so bought a pair of sweatpants for $10.00. I went to simply exchange a shirt that had been paid for in-full and I ended up spending money at TJ Maxx that I had no intention of spending.

Couldn't the shop assistant or manager find a better solution, rather than giving me $4.39 back for a shirt that was clearly bought for $12.99? I would've been happy with a bigger size but they didn't even bother seeing if there was one?

Be
Jan 23, 2017

Comments

• Wi
      25th of Jan, 2017

Having the tags does not prove you bought it. It proves you have a shirt with the tags on, that is now on sale at a much lower price. You do not have a receipt, therefore no proof of purchase. Ask your gifter for the receipt for the exchange.

This is a standard policy that nearly every store has. Aside from that, returns are a courtesy not a right and NO store has to accept them.