Sears / Washing Machine / warning to anyone purchasing a washing machine from sears
This is a warning to anyone who has purchased a washing machine from Sears.
I have recently discovered that it is Sears policy to take away the shipping bolts that are fitted to washing machines. These are fitted to prevent internal damage during transport, but should actually be left with the customer as they need to be refitted if ever the machine needs to be moved (e.g. when moving house).
Sears informed me that the reason they take these away is because some customers were refitting the bolts needlessly and thus causing damage when they try to operate the washing machine.
However, who knows how many machines have been damaged when people move house but, because of Sears' policy, don't have the shipping bolts available to refit to their machines? Presumable by this stage though most machines will be out of the warranty period so Sears won't have to do anything about it.
It took me about 5 frustratingly long phonecalls to Sears Parts department to establish this and to get them to send me the shipping bolts, which should have been delivered with the washing machine in the first place. However, they have refused to send me the wrench (used to tighten the shipping bolts), which should also have been delivered with the machine. My last conversation was with one of the rudest 'customer service' people I have ever spoken to, who worked for Sears Parts Direct.
If you have bought a washing machine from Sears and think you might need to move the machine at some point in the future, my advice is to call up and insist that they send you the shipping bolts for your machine, as well as the wrench to tighten them.
They will try to charge you for these parts, but as they SHOULD have been delivered with the machine in the first place and will be listed in the machine's manual under 'parts and accessories', you should argue to get them free of charge.
Perhaps eventually Sears will change their ridiculous policy of taking these things away in the first place.
More Sears / Washing Machine Complaints & Reviews
- [Resolved] Sears - customer service department 
- [Resolved] Sears / Kenmore Elite Refrigerator - poor quality product! 
- [Resolved] Sears / Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer Machine - terrible company! 
- [Resolved] Sears Die Hard Gold Battery - it should be named the die easy battery 
- [Resolved] Sears Kenmore Elite Oasis Washing Machine - F1 error 
- Sears.com - online order defective on delivery
- Sears Brands - sears home services
- Sears Master Protection Plan - hot water heater replacement
- Sears Home Warranty - service not provided
- Sears - delivery disaster