Sears Rebate Scam / Service / rebate

United States, Ohio, Columbus Review updated:
Tuttle Crossing
We bought almost $2000 of appliances from Sears. The $75 rebate and discounts made Sears a better choice to buy at. When I specifically asked about how the rebate would be sent, i.e. would I get cash; not one of those idle promises, the salesman told me absolutely it would be a check for cash.
Over 6 weeks later, we received a Citi Rebate card for $75 which as soon as you go to use it will activate a Citi bank debit card with all their fees and terms - what a scam!
I sat on the phone for 2 days to try get hold of someone at Sears to complain, and see if it could be resolved by sending a cheque.
1 - it is extremely difficult to find the # to call anywhere on the Sears websites or accounts.
2 - I called the general Sears # 2 -3 times, but could barely understand the operators (I am a foreigner so dont take this as chauvinism), when I finally talked to someone she said it would take 3-4 months to resolve!
3 - Then I called the Citi card program, and she said my issue was with the store for telling me the wrong thing. I have the contract and form with me and all say that you can opt out and select cash; but I couldnt find anyone to execute it.
We will be cancelling our regular Sears cards, and now I am very worried about the quality of the service program for the appliances, and we are considering returning the appliances.
I dont think Sears tracks its service metrics very well, otherwise they would see the writing on the wall.

A  5th of Aug, 2009 by
This just happened to me. I just received a rebate from Sears in the form of a Citi prepaid Mastercard with my $35 they owed me on it. However, according to the terms of use of this card, I have to select “Credit” at machines to use it and then there is a $3 monthly SERVICE FEE. This was not disclosed when choosing this form of payment from Sears. I tried calling Citi's prepaid number on the card and their menu option to speak to a live representative does nothing but kick the menu options back at me again. I've since emailed both them and Sears Customer Service. I want my promised money, NOT another credit card. I've demanded the citi card be cancelled and I'll be contacting the BBB and the FCC since this is a fraudulent rebate scam.
A  22nd of Aug, 2009 by
I just received a Sears Prepaid Citi MasterCard and for $75 from buying a refrigerator. They said I could use it anywhere MasterCard is accepted, however, Kohl's would not take it. I purposely bought a certain refrigerator because of the rebate and now am wondering if I got ripped off. I did not know about the serivce fee, but will be careful. I knew it was too good to be true.
A  3rd of Sep, 2009 by
I too just got a card instead of cash for a rebate. When I had bought an appliance before I was sent a check . There was no where on the form that I checked to receive a card. I do not use credit cards and this certainly is a scam in the worst way because of forcing a credit card on a person. I am going to try to get my cash and certainly hope that I can otherwise the Better Business Bureau will be next on the list.
A  3rd of Sep, 2009 by
We had a similiar problem with sears when we purchased new appliances for a home we just purchased. It was not a card but we were due a rebate/reimbursement of our delivery charges. Why they didnt just offer free delivery was beyond me but maybe their mess ups are how they make more money. So we sent in our forms and waited for our $79. We bought the house in Nov. of 08 and in March of 09 I felt I had given enough time so I contacted the store in Council Bluffs, IA and got MAJOR runaround. I got angry and told them to come get their stuff and the manager I talked to said ok but I wouldnt get all my money back because there is a restocking fee. I then asked for a corporate number and the manager gave me a number for online sales(?) and they didnt know what was going on so they transferred me. When someone finally picked up I was transferred to a store in Texas (?) who obviously didnt know what was going on and they hung up. I then Googled Sears Corporate numbers had to play phone tag a few times but they eventually got me to someone that could help. Since i had my receipts they were able to look up what I was sayingand knew I was telling the truth about my rebate. I was also offered the following explanation that may be helpful to others with rebate issues. I was told the reason I had not gotten my rebate was because the next day the store, Council Bluffs, had cancelled the transaction even though I had purchased. When I asked how that was possible I was told it is common for stores to cancel rebates and offer prepaid charge cards instead. I said this was unacceptable and if stores are doing this and corporate knows it then they as a company are being crooked. At which point I was offered 2 $250 sears/kmart gift cards because of all the problems I went through according to them. According to me it was to shut me up. Anyways I took the gift cards and combined them and bought a snow blower.

My suggestion to all is do a search for corporate of sears contact them and remember "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".
A  4th of Sep, 2009 by
I bought a stove from Sears with the $75 rebate and got the pre paid rip off card today and was on the phone for over an hour getting a message they have excessive calls and to enter my number for the balance. NO way -- I think this would activate the darn thing. Next I went on line and it wants a log in and password to I got off that site and sent and e-mail. I got a reply they would answer as soon as possible but were experiencing heavier than usual e-mail and suggested I visit their web and log in and review the FAQ. In my opinion Sears has really become a slap in the customer's face and I am destroying my Sears card, canceling my account and will never shop Sears again regardless of their sales. They must have a new CEO or someone that doesn't care about competition. Sears also owns OSH and Kmart owns Sears.
N  5th of Sep, 2009 by
Here is the address of the hi up to contact. Maybe if he gets enough calls something will be done. It looks like more folks will be here and complain.

You may have to copy and paste this to your browser. let's all post our results back here after calling him for all to see
N  5th of Sep, 2009 by
The 2 comments made by me above are just my opinions due to not being able to contact the prepaid service and opt out. Everything in the Sears Rebate Prepaid Card seems to be legal but I'm not a lawyer or educated enough to interpret all of the small print in the 10 folded page CITI PREPAID SERVICES PREPAID CARD AGREEMENT along with the other things they sent. My main objective is to opt out and hope that anyone who has managed to opt out will post on here in detail about how they did it so it can also help me to opt out. The only information I've found on how to opt out is in the SCHEDULE OF SUPPLEMENTAL TERMS on the back of the paper the Prepaid Card was stuck on. In the OPT OUT; CHOICES the way I read it is you have to go to the web site. I just wish they would have an opt out option on their phone line.
A  5th of Sep, 2009 by
Familiar stories. We received our Citi Prepaid rebate card in the mail today. We were shocked to read the "account maintenance fee." When we purchased our refrigerator, the Sears salesman told us that there would be a $75.00 delivery charge, but we would receive a refund in the mail. This sounded strange, but we have gotten rebates before with 'crazy terms.' The difference has been that other companies mailed a paper check that we could deposit in our bank. We would have perferred paying the charge. Here I sit at my computer trying, in vain, to find the prepaid.citi.com/sears site. Is there actually such a site? We, too, plan to cancel our Sears store account. This is absolutely absurd. Any way we try to get the refund we will be penalized. We are very disappointed that Sears would pull such a scam.
Signed: Another sign of the times...
N  22nd of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Wow! Sorry to hear so many have had problems. I received my $70. prepaid charge card last week. When I bought my washer I was told the rebate would be in the form of a prepaid card. I used it to buy groceries and had no problems. I just checked my balance at prepaid.citi.com/sears and found it easy to use.

Again sorry so many had problems
A  23rd of Sep, 2009 by
I also purchased a Sears appliance and just received a credit card rebate in the mail. The rebate that I submitted online did say a rebate card would be issued, but I did not know that I was opening up a credit card account. I did not want a credit card only the rebate card from buying the appliance. I am going to cancel the account and will not purchase anything from Sears again. This is a scam as people do not know they are opening a credit card account until they get the card in the mail. This is fraudulent. There needs to be an investigation into this by 20/20 news program.

N  29th of Sep, 2009 by
I just checked the back statement and there is a $3 a month maintenece fee attached to this card. How can you get your Sears Rebate when you have to pay a monthly fee?
It doesn't make sense!!!
N  5th of Oct, 2009 by
I ordered a mattress, box springs, and frame but my rebate for delivery was rejected due to the fact I canceled the frame from the order because it wouldn't fit the head board. The rebate was for the mattress. I emailed about 4-5 times through the rebate system they have and got no help.

After calling and tracking down the right phone # for the rebate people, they resoled it after about 30 seconds once I got the right person on the phone.

Rebate Center 866-212-3760
N  7th of Oct, 2009 by
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding this card. It is a prepaid debit card, but because Sears/Citi does not give you a PIN, you must swipe it as CREDIT at the register when you buy something. It's the same as when you use your own debit card... you have 2 choices: you can swipe DEBIT and enter your PIN, or CREDIT and then sign at the register when paying. Getting this rebate card is NOT applying for or opening up a CREDIT CARD account with Sears as someone else previously stated.

This is a rebate card instead of cash. I agree that Sears could be more clear explaining this to people. My Sears store where I bought my fridge in Colorado explained it clearly to me, but I know Sears sometimes can be awful. They also said (and it's included in the Citi terms) that you can do an ACH transfer and have the rebate money transferred into your bank acct if you don't want the hassle of using the card. I didn't do this, because I had no trouble using the card. Sorry to the people who've had difficulty. I hope this is helpful in explaining the credit/debit confusion to other people.
N  8th of Oct, 2009 by
Success! I received my $75 card on 10/6/2009, went to my bank on 10/7, requested a "Cash Advance". Was given the option of receiving cash or having it depositing it to my bank account.

This was after making many phone calls, but the one that did the trick was: 1-877-855-7201. Operator was "George". He was pleasant and helpful as was the teller at my bank.

I hope to see other comments that had success using this method.

Charlie L.
A  18th of Oct, 2009 by
Happy that you got a card. I am still waiting for mine - they said they never received my application for rebate and now its too late, therefore I loose and sears gain.
A  18th of Oct, 2009 by
Happy that you have a card - minus the additional fee. I submit my rebate online and after not receiving my rebate, I called and they told me that they never received an application, time has expire, therefore I am will not get my rebate
A  21st of Oct, 2009 by
I was told my rebate (75 card) had been approved and sent. It never arrived. When I went back on the Rebate Center site to ask where it was. the system said it did not recognize my email or customer number. BRICK WALL. no rebate, no recourse. I just got screwed out of my rebate. That is the last time I will purchase from Sears and I have been a card holder for over 40 years. They ripped me for $75 but it will cost them more in lost sales over the long run.
N  24th of Oct, 2009 by
The phone number Charlie L. offered for Citi group customer service is legit & works!
1 877-855-7201.
I went through the process of requesting to opt out of the Citi rebate cards & asking for checks to be mailed after reading all the hassles on complaint board & not being able to locate the e-mail address : www.prepaid.citi.com/sears - it does not exist!
Rosa, the clerk who helped me was at first unable to send checks for the 2 $65.00 delivery rebates, so I challenged her to find the e-mail address for opting out of the citi card... (we purchased over $5k of appliances for a new house; 2nd delivery isn't til 11/27 and I could easily cancel $$$ worth of Sears appliances between now & then...) she could not find it, suggested: an ecounts.com address.
I also told her about the complaint board & what a black eye their rebate policy gives Citi and Sears for putting good customers through so much baloney. after "checking" w/ corporate, she assured me she COULD process the 2 rebate checks. I told her I would post this info on the complaint board, referring to the MANY Citi/Sears complaints & that I would follow up on the complaint board either way if/when I received the checks from Citi or not...
so, to be cont.
A  30th of Oct, 2009 by
Excerpts from the new terms and conditions:

Citibank Canada is making some small changes to its prepaid card agreement (the "Agreement"). The attached Agreement has been revised to incorporate those changes and takes effect April 14th, 2009. Please review the new Agreement and familiarize yourself with its provisions.

Specifically, we have made changes to the following provisions of the Agreement:

-our website address (the "Site") has changed to www.prepaid.citi.com and our customer service e-mail address has changed to help@citiprepaid.com. "

"-We have added language to clarify that that we may notify you of any changes to your Agreement by posting notice of such changes on the Site (see- CHANGES TO THIS AGREEMENT)."

As well as other details on changes made to procedures for replacing cards, et. al.

I also received a privacy statement (M-93085), which you have to MAIL IN to opt out of sharing of personal information.
A  3rd of Nov, 2009 by
I had come to thi site to see the balance on the card and so far I cannot tell what the balance is because the site is over run with complaints ... NOW IS THAT NOT SPECIAL!

yOU CAN BET YOUR DOLLARS, I WILL NOT BE PURCHASING MY NEXT LARGE AT SEARS AGAIN ... I will be sending the management a formal renditions of this!

Sears Brands Logo Sears Brands