Sears / terrible management

1 OH, United States Review updated:

I am a former Sears employee. I was originally hired on to be a seasonal employee but was told that I would most likely be kept on. During the time that I worked for sears, I realized that even if I was asked to stay as a regular employee I wouldn't have done so. The job itself was tolerable, not physically demanding, but very mentally exhausting, the people I worked with were okay for the most part, and even the customers were tolerable. However, the manager of the department that I worked in was absolutely terrible! Now I know that most people will sound off about an employee because they don't like that person or for other reasons...mine is simply because I used to be a sales manager/training manager for a fortune 500 company and I know the necessary skills it takes to be a leader/manager. This woman did the exact opposite of everything that she should have done. For instance, it's a cardinal rule of being a leader/manager of ANY kind that you should be constantly communicating with your employees to make sure that everyone is on the same page...this woman would randomly disappear for large periods of time and about 99% of the time, she never told anyone where she was going. I came to find out that some of that time she was doing things like shopping on the clock, socializing with people from other departments, talking to friends/former employees that came into the store, etc. Some of the time that she randomly vanished she was doing things like making a schedule, checking in an order that needed to be brought up to the department, making signs, etc...the biggest problem I had with all of that (besides the fact that it's unprofessional and lazy) is that she DID NOT communicate with us! It's not that hard as a manager to say "hey, I'm going to _____, if you need me, page me." This became more of a problem as it got closer to christmas and we were constantly busy. Her lack of communication was also the main cause of some customer complaints: the department I worked in (fine jewelry) only allows employees that have been put through the necessary security background checks to enter the department...meaning that if she disappeared and there was only one person working up there, we couldn't just ask anyone to come in and help. Customers were regularly irritated for having to wait an extended period of time because she would just run off, and the employees were the ones who were blamed. There was even a time that she disappeared without telling anyone where she was going (which in this particular case ended up being to lunch), meanwhile she told myself and the other girl working that night that we had to take our lunches before a certain time. So, since we didn't know where she was (cause she never told us) we went ahead and took our lunches one at a time so that the department was never left without someone there to wait on the customers. I was the first of the two of us to take our lunch...while I was on lunch, the dept got busy, my manager got yelled at because there weren't enough people up there, and who got blamed?? Me. Why? because I supposedly left the other girl by herself while the manager was on lunch...yet, if the manager had told me she was going to lunch, I would have waited until she returned...yet again, lack of communication.
On top of that, this manager carries a serious attitude while she's at work. Meaning if she's upset about something, or mad at someone, she takes it out on her employees by giving them the cold shoulder, having no common courtesy, and pretty much ignoring them. She also dictated to us employees all sorts of things to do while she would purposely avoid dealing with customers.

So when the news finally came that I wasn't going to be kept on after the holidays, I flat out told my manager that I wasn't upset. (this was because of her actions as a manager, or lack thereof.)

All in all...a terrible manager. In my personal opinion, this woman should be fired for her lack of professionalism, her terrible manners, and her bad ethics. My advice? Don't ever work for sears.

Comments

• Ju
      26th of Dec, 2010

I believe it. At least my manager lets someone know hes leaving so we can know what the heck we're doing.

• Mi
      27th of Dec, 2010

I think most people apply for supervisor or manager postion, because of the pay and they want to do less hands on work and boss people around.

• Se
      16th of Feb, 2011

So you worked for the manager from Hell...fine, I'm sort of on your team up until your last generalization that because you encountered a manager you perceived as bad, no one should work for Sears??? That's a very long leap there my friend...hardly applicable.

4th of Jul, 2011

@Sears employee...I'm with you 100%. @Dawniette, lol you must be a manager from Sears because you got mighty offended. LOL.

4th of Jul, 2011

OH and lack of communication is a TOP ISSUE @ our company even the customer's agree and so do I!!! They are quick to point out what's wrong but not quick to recognize the good