Sears / Lawnmower / defective equipment/no satisfaction

1 PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-877-878-3686

Two years ago I bought what I thought was going to be a way better lawnmower than what I ever had before. It was a Craftsman Mower, 6.75 Horsepower, self propelled, 21" cut. Model # 917.370730, Out of the box it broke, Little things inside shattered. Took it to Sears, where they fix nothing. Sent to Pittsburgh PA, It stayed for a LONG time. Eventually It came back, and 15 minutes after using it, it broke again. Same things broke! (Remember this fact, you won't believe what happens). I got it back in time to put it up for winter. This year I fire it up, and it is really acting up. I order a tune up kit and a new Blade. After the new blade I take it into the yard and it breaks again! Back to Sears. Now it gets bad. It is out of warranty. I complain that it spent more time in the shop than in the yard. Local Sears guys agree. Off to Pittsburgh it goes! They call after a few days and tell me the shaft is bent and it will cost me $130.00 to fix it. I am furious. I begin the corporate run around. One obscure department head tells me this, "If it (mower) is out of warranty, Sears washes their hands of it." I am given a number to the "Lawn Equipment Recovery Department", the last place I am told, I can contact. The lady on the other side listens, calls Pittsburgh, then tells me I am without satisfaction. She goes on to say that the reason Sears will do nothing for me is because the mower was not in the shop ENOUGH, and that the history she reads about it shows that the same parts were replaced again and again, (DUH), which shows her I USED the mower. (WOW). I ask for some kind of relief, none is forthcoming. I am stuck with a defective product.

Comments

• Av
      13th of Jun, 2012

Wow, going through a similar situation with a lawnmower we purchased about 10months ago. This brand new red mower has only been used less than five times in this time. It was bought last fall and only used it this summer once. Blade just fell off this summer on second attempt to use it for the season. Took it to service center, first thing the representative said was we had to have hit a rock or hard object to cause it to come off and that the adapter which holds blade broke due to "impact", our lawn has no rocks... Mower still under warranty but they will not cover repairs. Multiple phone calls to warranty department and service center and the royal runaround later I believe Sears is the worst place to buy from. They do not care about customer service, once you leave out that door!!! Their warranty covers nothing, they produce substandard defective products and blame it on the customer, what a scam!