Sears Kenmore Oasis Canyon Capacity Washer / error message f 51

1 OH, United States Review updated:

F 51 appears on most of the cycles. Only the 'whitest whites' cycle seems to be unaffected. The machine stops completely. If I push the stop button, the error message goes away. If I hit the start button the machine will start again but immediately goes back into trouble. I then have to cancel the cycle, let it drain, and start the 'rinse, spin, drain cycle', but now this cycle is getting the error code. So in effect I can't run a complete wash cycle, I can't rinse and spin the soap out of the clothes, so the load is left somewhat clean, somewhat rinsed, and sopping wet.Our washer was purchased July 28, 2007. The trouble started shortly after the one year warranty expired. I researched the error code online and have determined that the mother board needs to be replaced. This will cost between $200-400, for a machine that has been in use for less than two years. This week we received a form letter from Sears advising us that if the serial number on our washer fell within a certain range, the mother board would be upgraded at no cost to us. Our machine has a serial number that is higher (CU instead of the CS-CT range) which indicates to me that it was manufactured after the target machines. This means that Sears knows about the problems but as yet is unwilling to fix our machine at no cost to us. They have the serial number of our machine on file. Why did they send the letter to us knowing that our machine is out of the target range? Do I have to pay to get my machine fixed while older machines get a free upgrade? we will be contacting Sears to see if they are willing to rectify the matter. The washer was highly rated on Consumer Reports buts it appears the model is a lemon.

Comments

• Dr
      18th of May, 2009

Strange washer. . . we have been doing appliances for over 25 years and this particular washer is made like no other. We are not surprised that it has 'electronic issues' that are expensive to fix. In the repair industry we stick to the basics and reconditioned Sears/Wirlpool is all we sell as our reputation is on the line. They are made the best, easiest to repair, and the parts are reasonable and readily available. However, the new front loaders, the Oasis and any appliance that is complicated with electronic brains has been an expensive but lucrative business practice for a number of years now. Electronic oven controls, are a real mystery because everyone knows that electronics and heat are not well suited for each other, yet we see ranges with all the electronic controls for the oven right above the heat vents. Stay away from ranges that have this design!
    Bottom line, if you don't mind paying more for a complicated machine, the manufacturers assume that you won't mind paying more for the parts, and repairs. Keep it simple and you will be much happier and have money left for something other than appliance repairs.

• Oa
      22nd of Aug, 2009

i have a kenmore oasis that's about 2 1/2 yrs old and has just started flashing f51.
    what the latest is on this matter? any more word from sears? any more word on the class action lawsuit?

i also don't want to have to pay for the diagnosis that it's a problem they knew about 2 yrs ago.
    i'm not going to pay to have it fixed. i 'd buy another set of old fashioned ones before i do that.

• Na
      10th of Jul, 2010

o&jw's mom,

We did the same. Our Kenmore Oasis had the same problem within 90 days, and Sears replaced it when the repair tech had no idea had to repair it. Then 16 months later the same thing happened. It was out of warranty and the repair tech said the cost would be a minimum of $250 and it would most likely occur again in a year. He suggested we buy a new "old fashioned" washer. We bought a Roper for $280 and I've had no problems. Since then I've not bought another appliance from Sears. They know they have a problem, but are not willingness to accept responsibility.