[Resolved] Sears Home Improvement / fraudulent information

Stevensville, MI, United States Review updated:

I feel like I've been scammed by a series of Sears hustlers. Last August the salesman Ed came to my house to give me an estimate on roofing. For several reasons, I decided on Sears that very day, not least of all because of its reputation. The contract had many details and promotions, including the fact that I would get one-year interest free financing if I financed through Sears. Although I could have paid for the job in full earlier, I decided Why not? and opened an account, planning to pay it in full in a year--no interest charged at all. Ed was supposed to give me a disk with the contract but told me his computer wasn't working and he would send it to me. I never saw him again and I never got the contract. But I am a law professor, and I read the contract and it said a year of interest free financing. Mike Remar took over and there was one disaster after another, including that Ed had underestimated by about $10, 000 and they couldn't do the job for what he had told me. I was in a terrible position in that I had to leave town for a while, I had called off the other estimates, and I had to get a new roof before winter. So, after some negotiation, I agreed to a higher price. I knew that I didn't have to do that legally, but it seemed to be the right thing to do. Remar sent me a series of change agreements but never the original contract, although I asked him for it many times. Subsequently, Mike Remar disappeared. His phone was disconnected and I never heard from him again. Someone was supposed to take over but he never returns calls. The roof did get done, and both the deposit and the bill were put on the Sears account. I paid the minimum each month since last August. I just discovered that, according the the credit card people, the contract did not include the "promotion" of a year interest free. I still do not have a copy of the contract. I have been charged a couple of thousand dollars in interest. I might mention that I have not paid any credit card interest in over thirty years. It's not the way i choose to finance anything. I would never have taken out the card and put the roof on it if I had to pay interest. It makes no sense financially. I don't know what to do at this point. I am reluctant to make any further payments at all until someone decent at Sears can, at the very least, send me copies of all the paperwork involved, and settle this. I do know that i will never shop at or with Sears again. And I recommend that no one else do either.

• Resolution statement

• SearsCare's Response, Mar 27, 2012

Hi Teresa Phelps,

We're terribly sorry your recent home improvement and roofing experience has been such an unpleasant one. My name is Scott and I'm part of the Sears Cares Social Media Support Team. We found your post here and wanted to reach out to you. We understand that home improvement work is very important, as are those that represent Sears to complete these projects. We'd like to look into this in more depth and speak with you. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at [protected]@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Teresa Phelps) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Scott J.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

Comments

• Se
      25th of May, 2012

This site www.searshomesucks.com has been created to share with former and potential customers of Sears Home Improvement Products what I have witnessed as a former employee and create a place for others to share their home project experiences by Sears.

During my employment at Sears, I have witnessed hundreds, possibly thousands, of home improvement projects completed without proper permitting or the use of licensed contractors. This is a serious concern and should not be taken lightly. Please take the time to browse this site and learn more. The safety of your home and family could be at risk.

Please share this site with your family and friends or anyone you know that had work done by Sears.