Sears - Calypso Washer / nothing but problems. stay away!

We purchased the washing machine/dryer set in Dec. 2000 and have had nothing but problems with the washer. The pump was replaced twice during the first two years of owning it and then it broke a THIRD time and I threw a fit and demanded they replace my machine which they did. Now the circuit board is malfunctioning and of course my extended warranty has run out so I am w/o a washing machine right now. Found out that they have a class action lawsuit against them due to all of the problems from the Calypso washers and I am filling out my eleven pages of lawsuit forms right now. Of course they don't make filling out the forms and getting in easy either. Thank goodness I was a pack rat this time and saved all of my repair bills and purchasing receipts.

I normally love the most up date appliances and such but next time around, I'm just gonna purchase a basic washing machine next time w/o all the electronics. Not to mention one of the problems of this machine is that it leaves big black stains on all our light colored clothing and I couldn't tell you the amount of clothing it has ruined and I have had to throw away as a result of this. It has also left a mildew smell to the clothes that you CANNOT get out no matter what you do. You can use a gallon of Downy and wash them a hundred times and it won't come out. They are ruined.

The Sears repair guy came today and the estimate to fix it was $482!! The circuit board is bad, along with the U-joint. The mildew smell that I had mentioned is being caused by a bad U-joint he said. Because the seal on it is broken, water gets down in where it shouldn't be and it can't drain and causes it to do that to the clothes as well as causes the black grease marks that we were getting. I wish I could make Sears also reimburse us for all of the clothes this washer has ruined in the last two years. Needless to say that we will be getting a NEW washing machine rather than pay to repair this one. I'm going to get just a good basic machine and not go with a bunch of electronics and fancy stuff.

Makes me sick to think of how much money we paid for it initially $999 and then the money that was put out for the multiple repairs over the years and now it's as good as a paper weight. And that Sears won't do anything legally because of the impending law suit. I haven placed my story and complaint on about ten web sites that I have found since I started my search on the net along with filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I think all of us Calypso owners should schedule a day and go stand in front of Sears and picket the store and demand they do what they know is morally right for all Calypso owners.

Va

Comments

• Va
      20th of Jan, 2007

I've had this machine fixed several times . The clothes are black and filthy. Sears should replace all costumers with new machines this is a major rip off.

• Va
      12th of Feb, 2007

I purchased a Kenmore Calypso washer new. I have noticed that my clothes are being "chewed" up. My clothes are also being tangled in the washer. I inquired at my local Sears store and was informed that the Calypso washer is no longer made as there were too many complaints. I have searched for a recall, but cannot find any. Has anybody else experienced this same problem and what was the outcome?

• St
      21st of Feb, 2007

We purchased Sears washer & dryer in 7/06. They were delivered in 8/06. Since then we have been unable to get them installed for many many reasons which required @ 50 calls to Sears. We regularly get transferred from one phone number to another. No one will take responsibility to solve the problem. There were missing parts, wrong parts, ordered parts that disappeared, more ordered parts. We're at a loss as to what to do next. We also have been unable to obtain the name of the CEO of Sears with hopes that he could help. Can someone help us? We're desperate.

• Bi
      16th of Nov, 2007

One-Thousand dollars for a POS. Only 4 years old, started smelling like mildew and tonight it quit completely. Doesn't drain water, doesn't wash, and I suspect it is the motor controller. Will not buy another Sears appliance and neither will our kids.

• Ro
      27th of Nov, 2007

I have had the Calypso for 3 years. Replace the U-Joint (once), the motor (twice), the wash plate 3 times. So far since the last motor was replaced, it is working perfect for 8 months now!

You do need to take care when using the machine to not use to much detergent, which is good cause I save money that way and everything is still very clean. Have the warranty until 10/08 then will see what to do. May spend another $260 on another 3 year warranty since a new machine will cost me more.

29th of Jan, 2008

I purchased my Calypso in 2003. This machine is constantly breaking.. Don't know how many repairs before 2007, Last year in October, November and twice in December had to call repair. Dec 28th my clothes went under the wash plate.

The part finally arrived 1/26 and they repaired it 1/29. They never cleaned it out so I had to run a wash with no clothes. Then I washed a white quilt and it came out with black marks on it. So now I am doing another cycle with no clothes.

I can 't believe the repair men would not run the cycle and clean the machine. Made another repair call and they will be out 1/31.

Had 4 pumps and motor put in. Sears is trying to say I only had 1, I threw away 2 pumps that the repairman left. They told me I can't wash throw rugs or anything with lint. Have you ever bought new towels? When you put them in the dryer....lint on the lint filter. What good is the wash machine, if I can't wash normal laundry?

Sears web site says 3 repairs in one year and they will replace machine, but talk to someone at the store or on the phone they tell you 4 repairs.. I even had one person tell
    me it had to be 4 of the same part in one year. What is there scam.

Thankfully I purchased a maintenance contract which is due for renewal in March.

I did not know there was a class action suit. I am working with the Better Business Bureau.

Does anyone know i f there are any other class actions suits that I could be included in?

• Br
      7th of Feb, 2008

I purchased a Caypso washer/dryer in 2003. In Nov/06 I started to have trouble with the signal LD & SL. The repair lady acts as if I am making this machine malfunction. She has been at my house about 7 times to retrieve what ever has made it's way under the wash plate. I can not wash scatter rugs, underwire bras, or anything bulky. I have waited 3 weeks now for Sears to get to my house to repair the stupid thing this time. Sears should buy all of these machines back from these consumers and let them get machines that are worth something. I am tired of having to go to the laundry mat!!! I paid them good money for these machines and they should make good on it! And yes I have noticed my laundry smells like mildew as well, thought it was my imagination. Perhaps I will go to Lowes to purchase my home appliances from now on.

• Da
      24th of Oct, 2008

I can't believe this. My washing machine goes into Cl whenever it starts the spin cycle. My clothes always smells like mildew and many brand new clothes have been ruined by "grease marks" all over them. I thought that it was my overloading or not getting the clothes out fast enough but after reading these several comments, I have found that this maching stinks. And that 1 comment was right. You pay so much for this thinking it is going to be the best thing in the world but nothing but problems. We have had the machine for about 5 or 6 years and the repair guy was out several times in the beginning. We had bought a display model because it saved us a couple hundred dollars so we bought the extended warranty. Of course, as luck would have it, it expired. Now we have to buy another washing maching. And heaven forbid that we don't buy a set. The dryer has to match the washer. Does anyone know of which brand is a good one?

Signed,
    Finding a new set

• Bi
      9th of Nov, 2008

does any one know if i am to late for the class action suit regaurding the calypso bought in 2001 help ...

19th of Nov, 2008

Wow! I have had sears come out to fix my washer many times. I told them that water was coming from the bottom of the washer. The repairer told me that he found bra underwire in the machine and that I was using the wrong detergent (I use Tide he, I thought that is what i was to use) he put it back together and told me he fixed it. Now it does not work and when i called a repair guy (not sears this time, because my ext. warranty was over) and he found rust so bad that he could not put a new motor in the machine. It has been since Oct l, 2008 and it is now Nov 19, 2008, and the repair guy can't find parts to this machine. Guess who will have to buy a new washer. Now I'm worried about the dryer going out. I don't have that kind of money. Reality check-sears don't care!!!

• Kh
      22nd of Nov, 2008

I agree with everything that has been said about Sears and the Calypso Washer and Dryer. I purchased my washer and Dryer in 2003 for around ($2, 500.00) Since that time I've had the Repair man at my home twice for both the washer and dryer. I tried to find an outside source to do the repairs and have only been able to find a company to repair the dryer (Best Appliance Center) In Rialto, Calif. (909) 875-9911. "Sears" should be ashamed of themselves. I remember when "QUALITY" and "SEARS" were synonymous, (Sears, the first place you always thought of when purchasing an appliance). The Repairman from Sears just left my home (11-22-08) and (yes, my extended warranty has expired) he says my washer can be repaired for $718.36. The Circuit Board is shot, along with the U-joint and Pump. The parts have to be ordered and it will take about ten (10) days before the washer is up and running, I only get a 90 day warranty on the parts. Should I have problems after the 90 days, (well, you know the rest) The Repairman offered some advice in my search for a new washer. Stay away from Oasis, GE and Maytag. He says Kenmore is a safe bet. Yea right!!! He also mentioned a lawsuit against Sears because of the Calypso Washer and Dryer. Oh well live and learn. "Sears" has made enough money over the years to now be able to come to the rescue of every comsumer having problems in this area. It is "not" the consumers fault that Sears sold us defective equipment and now fails to stand behind their product. For selfish reasons should Sears decide not to do the right thing, then !!!SEARS YOU SUCK!!! Is it to late to take part in the Lawsuit????

• De
      20th of Aug, 2009

Abolutely agree, this washer is a LEMON! Doesn't clean clths, smells bad, breaks down! I have the warranty and they are giving me a 500.00 voucher to put towards a new one! Bought it in 2003, nothing but trouble! Why won't they replace it? I paid $1, 000 for it! I bought brown wash cloths so you couldn't see the brown spots that were left! I'll take the $500.00 if that's all they will do! I know they aren't going to replace it. The girl said that if I was part of the recall group, they would send a tech guy out to replace all THE PARTS of the machine that were deemed faulty. I said, "Take it out of here, I don't want it!"

• Ep
      1st of Feb, 2010

I am years behind the curve on this one, but I too bought a Calypso washer and dryer in October of 2002. I paid over $2000 cash for both and thought this was going to be the coolest thing since sliced bread. Instead it's been Lemonville since the beginning. Everything mentioned in this thread is something I've experienced. The machine has twisted up and shredded clothing, has made holes in other items. It leaves things smelling of mildew, especially towels. It sometimes makes the clothes dirtier AFTER having washed them! It's especially noticeable when I wash things like white sheets and they come out with holes and streaks of dirt. And yes, what in the world is with the grease stains? I too went through several pumps and I blamed myself for what was going on thinking I wasn't stain treating well enough or perhaps something really dirty had somehow snuck into the washer when I wasn't looking (like a garbage can full of mechanics rags?). I wish I had done more research earlier and had participated in the class action lawsuit. Did anyone ever get any satisfaction from Sears? Does anyone know who to contact? I'd be happy with the $500 voucher, but fear since I haven't taken action sooner my window of opportunity may have long since past. Please e-mail me if you have any encouraging news. Thanks! Christine